Mafia 2, why all the hate? actually a pretty decent game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigbadkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigbadkiwi
Member since 2010 • 44 Posts

I know there was all that talk about how bad the ps3 port was and how people were claiming it was a rip off of GTA, but overall I thought the story was actually pretty good, heck its even got playboy it in to keep the 15 year old boys happy.

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts

I loved it. GTA fanboys are just mad because it's not GTA. If they just took the time to enjoy the game for what it's worth instead of comparing every single little detail to GTA, they'd realize how good it really is.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#3 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

I know there was all that talk about how bad the ps3 port was and how people were claiming it was a rip off of GTA, but overall I thought the story was actually pretty good, heck its even got playboy it in to keep the 15 year old boys happy.

bigbadkiwi
I thought Mafia 2 was what that boring Godfather 2 game should have been. Mafia 2 had it's problems but I still enjoyed it I thought it had a pretty good story. I thought Joe and Vito more interesting characters.
BloodMassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BloodMassacre
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

I loved the 1st one so i got the 2nd... and i enjoyed it....thought the story was good!

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
One of the best games I've ever played. People who want to run around blowing stuff up couldn't realize that this was actually a heavily story driven game that wasn't trying to be GTA.
Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts

I played it on PC cause I heard the PS3 version is the worst and thought it was a great game

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I enjoyed it, but was very disappointed when it turned into a mix of every generic mobster movie about half way through. I thought it had a really strong introduction, but it just got more and more bland as you went.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
The storyline was so good... Loved that game.
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

It's mostly from GTA fans that hate not going on rampages every five minutes. I liked it. Good shooting mechanics, pretty good fighting and driving, and an awesome story.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

There were a lot of mundane activities and not nearly enough to do in the open world (the occassional assassination mission would have been great, for example) but it had awesome shooting mechanics, great sound design, and a solid story.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
I loved it, the crossover between Mafia 1+2 was beautiful! Great story + Gameplay too. Shame the Joe DLC sucks though. :(
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GAMESHARQ
If I liked Mafia 2, would I like Mafia 1? Or is that one of those games that you won't enjoy as much if you played the newer one first?
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Mafia does what it needs to do well -- the gunplay. Story seemed a little too similar to others like Goodfellas and what not. But I did enjoy the inclusion of Henry (or I might not have watched the movie/show he was inspired from)
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
If I liked Mafia 2, would I like Mafia 1? Or is that one of those games that you won't enjoy as much if you played the newer one first?GAMESHARQ
Mafia 2 is very easy and less thoughtful compared to Mafia 1. I'm not sure how well it would stand today, but back when I played Mafia 1, it was like a holy god-given game. (but the racing part was atrociously hard. and the mission before that also)
AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
most people who hate it probably had expecatations for it to be something it isn't. it's not gta and it's not trying to be
mental_case_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 mental_case_5
Member since 2009 • 609 Posts

It's an excellecent game in my opinion. One of the best I've played

AvengedSixfold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AvengedSixfold
Member since 2011 • 80 Posts

I like the game, it was just too short imo, i spent more time playing The Godfather II because there was more to do in that game after the main story was over. Why would anyone be comparing Mafia 2 to GTA4 anyway, it's not a Rockstar game..it's 2K.

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
[QUOTE="cooldust"]I loved it, the crossover between Mafia 1+2 was beautiful! Great story + Gameplay too. Shame the Joe DLC sucks though. :(

HOLY COW, you're trophy level is 25!
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

If I liked Mafia 2, would I like Mafia 1? Or is that one of those games that you won't enjoy as much if you played the newer one first?GAMESHARQ

Probably. I played "MAFIA" on the PS2 over the PSN shut-down (so this is a recent play-through I'm talking about not years ago), and I loved it - Couldn't put the controller down, and very few games evoke that sort of dedication out of me anymore. It's not without it's faults, but a damn-fine game in it's own right. If you can find a copy, I suggest you pick it up. Got my copy for $7.99us, if memory serves. I will definitely be playing through it again someday. The cut scenes and the voice acting are top-notch, and the few short-comings it has were easily dismissed given the over-all experience. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

:)

Gotta love any game that features Django Reinhardt in the soundtrack!

bigbadkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigbadkiwi

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]If I liked Mafia 2, would I like Mafia 1? Or is that one of those games that you won't enjoy as much if you played the newer one first?MonkeySpot

Probably. I played "MAFIA" on the PS2 over the PSN shut-down (so this is a recent play-through I'm talking about not years ago), and I loved it - Couldn't put the controller down, and very few games evoke that sort of dedication out of me anymore. It's not without it's faults, but a damn-fine game in it's own right. If you can find a copy, I suggest you pick it up. Got my copy for $7.99us, if memory serves. I will definitely be playing through it again someday. The cut scenes and the voice acting are top-notch, and the few short-comings it has were easily dismissed given the over-all experience. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

:)

Gotta love any game that features Django Reinhardt in the soundtrack!

Seems like i should pick up Mafia 1 then...
cow_moo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cow_moo123
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
It's just awful in PC. I mean, really? You can't turn off shadows?
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#22 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I loved it. GTA fanboys are just mad because it's not GTA. If they just took the time to enjoy the game for what it's worth instead of comparing every single little detail to GTA, they'd realize how good it really is.

GAMESHARQ

Thats a pathetic statement.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Venom_Raptor

It was a good game, but previews made it sound and look far better than it actually was. The main issues are the open world which had nothing whatsoever to do beside going to story mission marker, visually unimpressive with lots of screen tearing, and poor spaced checkpoints.

bigbadkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bigbadkiwi

It was a good game, but previews made it sound and look far better than it actually was. The main issues are the open world which had nothing whatsoever to do beside going to story mission marker, visually unimpressive with lots of screen tearing, and poor spaced checkpoints.

Venom_Raptor

yeah poorly spaced checkpoints was a real downer, but if you take a look at the game as a whole, it was quite a good effort

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I enjoyed the game & played through it twice.

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GAMESHARQ

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

Venom_Raptor

Coming from a guy who said that GTA 4 is a masterpiece, I can't take anything you say seriously. You're just mad because you're one of them.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
The game scored 8.5 and has relatively the same user scores on metacritic, so it seems the game doesn't get alot of "hate" at all. That being said, I think the console versions have a right to be a little disappointed because the game engine took a large step back from Grand Theft Auto IV. In addition to not having the "open world" elements, the game's performance took a major step back. It featured screen tearing, slow framerates, and poorer looking textures (especially on PS3 with the lack of grass). I played the demo and was actually shocked at how bad it looked vs some of the older PS3 games. The screen tearing was actually making me dizzy, so I decided not to buy the game at all until I get it on PC.
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GAMESHARQ
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Too many people compare it to GTA 4. It didn't take a huge step back from GTA 4 because it's not a GTA game. It took a huge step forward from Mafia 1 and that's all that matters.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 2Chalupas

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Too many people compare it to GTA 4. It didn't take a huge step back from GTA 4 because it's not a GTA game. It took a huge step forward from Mafia 1 and that's all that matters.GAMESHARQ

I'm talking in terms of the engine, for an open world game GTAIV set the standard for this gen.I know this is overused, but it actually looked like a PS2 game at times. It *WAS* a very clear step back in QUALITY from GTAIV. If you were following the game like I was,and looked at all the amazing footage, then to finally get to play the PSN demo was an absolute shock at how bad some things were. I'm not talking about mission structure and things like that, as I can handle some differences and more linearity as long as it's quality.

I played the demo a bunch of times, and looked at the different comparisons. For me I was mostly disappointed at how bad the console (and especially PS3) versions fared. Screen tearing? No grass? Bad Textures? Much bigger difference than with GTAIV or Just Cause 2 or other similar games which held up better on PS3 - this one at all kinds of very apparant technical problems and was actually a step backwards. I put this game in the same category as New Vegas, Oblivion, Fallout 3. Console releases too buggy and inferior to play them, yet I don't yet have a PC that can play them at MAX SETTINGS. Basically I'm playing a waiting game until I can max them on my PC (which I will this fall since I'm building a new one). I'm sure these games are all still GOOD on PS3, but all these games should be GREAT and I just felt like the console ports had too many issues.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I've watched a lot of gameplay videos, and I think it looks like a lot fun. Much better than GTA imo, of course I'd have to play it first though... Still, it seems pretty different and that's probably why people hate it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

bigbadkiwi
The story is excellent but the game is a complete let down in terms of the missions and how they have taken out all the side missions just to sell them later in two DLC packs, also why have a Car-junkyard where your told there will be jobs when there is none in the entire game. Nah Mafia 2 is a good story but thats the only thing it has going for it and i for one hate the devlopers for taking the mickey like that.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

It was never supposed to be a sandbox game, which is where most people get the game confused with others. The "open" world is simply there to give context and space between missions, not to give the player a multitude of things to spend time doing, and because we have games like GTA available players have come to expect that formula. But not in "MAFIA". You drive from mission point to mission point in order to keep the player in the game because that's what you'd have to do if you really lived in the world. Blinking into mission points takes the player out of the game.

Personally I found the driving, etc from mission to mission accomplished an immersive feel without providing clutter or an over-abundance of tasks to address, which to me, was refreshing. Games like "San Andreas" and GTAIV turned me off because I can't put that kind of endless controller time in on a game. I have a job, family, and other real-world concerns which prevent me from playing endless amounts of side-missions, I prefer a game with a solid story that I can go through without feeling like I'm mission-busting and leaving the lion's share of the game un-played. In other words, I like a game I can finish. So the "MAFIA" games were perfect in my opinion. "MAFIA II" had the Playboy centerfold collection, and that was spot-on. Something I can actually see through in the little amount of time I have for gaming.

Games like GTA, RDR, and "Just Cause 2" especially, have too much content (for ME). To some that sounds like sacrilege, but to others that sounds awesome. I think the folks who don't dig "MAFIA" because you can't sandbox around as much should be respected for their opinions, but they should also take a cue from my statement and just "agree to disagree", and leave it at that. Similarly, if you feel that the PC version was the pinnacle and that console versions were scaled back to an insulting degree, you might take a look at this forum's master heading and take your opinions to the PC Forums, because we who play console games exclusively could care less what the grass looks like or that the PC version is "superior" - We care about the over-all experience on our console. So PC folks, please, take it somewheres else because what you're saying borders on "System Wars" content.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jacanuk
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Too many people compare it to GTA 4. It didn't take a huge step back from GTA 4 because it's not a GTA game. It took a huge step forward from Mafia 1 and that's all that matters GAMESHARQ
Mafia 2 didnt take a huge step forward compared to Mafia 1, well except in graphics. Story wise, gameplay and how complete the package was Mafia 1 beats Mafia 2 any day of the week.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 2Chalupas

Similarly, if you feel that the PC version was the pinnacle and that console versions were scaled back to an insulting degree, you might take a look at this forum's master heading and take your opinions to the PC Forums, because we who play console games exclusively could care less what the grass looks like or that the PC version is "superior" - We care about the over-all experience on our console. So PC folks, please, take it somewheres else because what you're saying borders on "System Wars" content.

MonkeySpot

Nonsense. I'm a PS3 gamer 1st and foremost. But even as a PS3 gamer I can still be hugely disappointed with the inferior port (which is what Mafia II was). Mafia is right there with Bayonetta for being one of the worst PS3 ports. Like I said I made myself play the demo multiple times, I was SHOCKED at how ugly the environments were - and especially at the screen tearing for a game with such mediocre graphics (screen tearing being my #1 pet peeve). I didn't have to wait for the review comparisons, that was my own initial opinion. But when I did see the verious head to heads it just reinforced for me just how bad the port really was. I'm not riding the high horse as a PC gamer, because I don't have a PC that can max a game like MafiaII anyway (yet). I'm talking about just coming from other PS3 games to Mafia II. I found Mafia seemed dated and inferior even compared to a whole bunch of other "open world" PS3 games that were already available.

I'm sure the quality of the story drives it through to still be a "good" game (which is what I said in my 1st post in this thread), but for me I've just decided to boycott it for being such an inferior port. I can wait, just like I'm waiting to play FO:New Vegas.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

GAMESHARQ

Coming from a guy who said that GTA 4 is a masterpiece, I can't take anything you say seriously. You're just mad because you're one of them.

GTA A masterpiece?. Hahahahaha.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jacanuk
GTA A masterpiece?. Hahahahaha.BigBoss255
Hmm, what else will you call a game that make its own Trend and has countless clones and almost everygame is compared to it. No game is like GTA because its not GTA and its sad to hear people compare games to GTA.
ozspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ozspark
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

I really enjoyed it more some of the bigger games this gen, like KZ2 and Resisance. Empire Bay was alot of fun to play in....

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

pretty good game but there is nothing to do afterwards.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

It was an alright game. I beat it, had fun with it, but it's not one I see myself picking up again. I found the story a bit ridiculious.

*spoiler alert*

Dude gets busted as a kid, goes to the Army, gets out, does some low-level hood work, gets busted again weeks later, goes to prison for a few years then gets made when he gets out. Sorry, but that's a bit hard to swallow. And there's also no reason for an open world game to be so linear.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Venom_Raptor

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

GAMESHARQ

How does liking one game over another make me a fanboy? I could say from what you've just said thatyour a Mafia 2 fanboy... :roll:

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I loved the original game. I picked up part 2 recently when I saw it for $20. I'm glad I didn't pay full price. It's highly forgettable.
PurpleSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 PurpleSmile
Member since 2010 • 1068 Posts
I love the game. especially the story. priceless :)
corigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 corigan
Member since 2004 • 586 Posts

Great game. I just thought it was too short. I really wish the story was about twice as long.