Lunar SSH - 8.0 @ GS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Gamespot tells us (not really) that Lunar Silver Star Harmony proves that even old classics are still very enjoyable to this day. The same can be said for Star Ocean and Final Fantasy Tactics. They also say "Average" as its score. I say average because that's what most RPGs on the PSP get, don't they?

Sounds like this game - and the CD and cards, which bear no mention in the review (other than the music itself) - will be worth my $40.

I'm also surprised that even though it's not an AAA title, they posted the review 5 days early.

I know it's gonna be a great RPG on the PSP. I guess you could say it's 2010's Star Ocean 2. (in terms of remake/port quailty...which, in Lunar's case, has been not once, but twice!)

One thing that's not going to be so great is having to trudge through Burg and the White Dragon cave for like the 50th time...for me, at least.

Okay, I'm done, so what are your thoughts on the game...so far?

(No spoilers, please, beyond that of the demo, as it's my 1st time playing this. I would also consider the names of characters (that are not Alex, Ramus - who wasn't even mentioned in the character trailer, Luna, and Nall) to be spoilers as well.

One last thing - what is TLC? T...loadable content?

You guys came here to discuss the game and/or review? Well, have at it.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

tjoeb123
Erm "tender loving care", meaning it was affectionately retouched and enhanced
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tjoeb123
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]

xaos
Erm "tender loving care", meaning it was affectionately retouched and enhanced

Makes sense. Seems that Xseed, Game Arts, and any old WD folks working under them loves us Lunar fans.
anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 anbu-black-ops
Member since 2008 • 2380 Posts
I was expecting this when I played the demo. It was almost the same with the PS1 minus the graphics and some gameplay tweaks. Another good rpg is added to the psp library~
eejus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eejus
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts

I'm hoping it is put up on PSN on release date like they did with SOCOM. I have been waiting for this for some time.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
I played it on the Sega CD and the PS...not sure if it's worth it or not...maybe.
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#7 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

I preordered the Limited Edition...and played the demo...and visited the site like every day for a week to check for new stuff...I'm officially excited! It definitely deserves that score, if what I've played of it is indicative of the rest of the game.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
8s a great score for a great game.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tjoeb123

I preordered the Limited Edition...and played the demo...and visited the site like every day for a week to check for new stuff...I'm officially excited! It definitely deserves that score, if what I've played of it is indicative of the rest of the game.

Luigi12901
I played the demo just as much, and I was like "Okay, I want to just go straight to battles now..." I too checked the site for new stuff, and only recently did they post the trailer...which other websites like GS and IGN had for a few days now. Can't wait to see the outtakes. Can't wait for 3/2/10. (or 3/3, depending on how my Gamestop likes to handle their to-store shipments)
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

I can't wait for this game because it's the first classic RPG remake of a game that's actually good (imho). I went through a 16/32-bit RPG phase a couple years ago where I played a ton of them over the course of a few months, and Silver Star Story was one of the few that I got quite a ways into. (I didn't actually finish any of them lol)

I think it's much more than "2010's Star Ocean 2" ...that game is such crap. I could not believe how banal the dialogue was, and the pace was glacial.

eejus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eejus

I can't wait for this game because it's the first classic RPG remake of a game that's actually good (imho). I went through a 16/32-bit RPG phase a couple years ago where I played a ton of them over the course of a few months, and Silver Star Story was one of the few that I got quite a ways into. (I didn't actually finish any of them lol)

I think it's much more than "2010's Star Ocean 2" ...that game is such crap. I could not believe how banal the dialogue was, and the pace was glacial.

jedinat

Yeah, I thought star ocean second revolution was boring. The first time I tried playing it, I turned the PSP off because I was almost sleeping through the openning, unskippable, scenes. Then I gave it a second chance and I just couldn't get into it

Lunar on the other hand, I was very upset when the demo ended on the first, second, thrid, and fourth time I played it.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tjoeb123
What do you mean you were "upset"? That it ended so soon? No boss battle?
eejus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 eejus

What do you mean you were "upset"? That it ended so soon? No boss battle?tjoeb123

Yeah, no boss, it ended quick and I wanted to keep playing.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]What do you mean you were "upset"? That it ended so soon? No boss battle?eejus

And just like Luna was and Nall pointed out -- I'm two for two! Here's to hoping that Gamestop will have it in tomorrow. (I'll be calling mine today to see) Also, it's the best selling game (as of now) on the PSP at Gamestop.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#15 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Eh this review means nothing to me. They gave Crimson Gem Saga a 5.5, a game which I myself would've gave an 8, almost 9 even. I'm predicting Lunar psp is a lot better than they've lead us to believe.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="eejus"]

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]What do you mean you were "upset"? That it ended so soon? No boss battle?tjoeb123

And just like Luna was and Nall pointed out -- I'm two for two! Here's to hoping that Gamestop will have it in tomorrow. (I'll be calling mine today to see) Also, it's the best selling game (as of now) on the PSP at Gamestop.

Don't they call you when they get it in stock anyway? I'm just planning on the third, because our Gamestop never has them out until the day after release. EVER.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jedinat

Eh this review means nothing to me. They gave Crimson Gem Saga a 5.5, a game which I myself would've gave an 8, almost 9 even. I'm predicting Lunar psp is a lot better than they've lead us to believe.

ThePerro
While 5.5 was a little harsh, Crimson Gem Saga is an awful game.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="eejus"]

Luigi12901

Don't they call you when they get it in stock anyway? I'm just planning on the third, because our Gamestop never has them out until the day after release. EVER.

You never know. I mean, Amazon is shipping the game right now to some people. It could happen at GS, too. (Maybe not all of them, though.)

EDIT: I just got a call from GS saying that I can get it tomorrow. Yay!!!!!!

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"] And just like Luna was and Nall pointed out -- I'm two for two! Here's to hoping that Gamestop will have it in tomorrow. (I'll be calling mine today to see) Also, it's the best selling game (as of now) on the PSP at Gamestop.tjoeb123

You never know. I mean, Amazon is shipping the game right now to some people. It could happen at GS, too. (Maybe not all of them, though.)

EDIT: I just got a call from GS saying that I can get it tomorrow. Yay!!!!!!

Lucky! I still have to wait...most likely getting that same call tomorrow. Everything takes so long to ship to here...

Edit- Apparently, I did get that call today. My family says they called...must have been while I was asleep. I DID just get back home from Vancouver after all.

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mthe1337one
Member since 2005 • 2539 Posts

hmmm interesting. haven't been much of a fan of RPG's, but if everyone vouches for how good this is...might have to give it a shot.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
I wonder if we'll see Eternal Blue...
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tjoeb123
I wonder if we'll see Eternal Blue...jordonj
Seeing as how there was a PS1 remake alongside SSSC, it's likely we'll see a remake of that as well. Here's my prediction of the title of the remake, if it will exist: Lunar 2: Harmony of Eternal Blue/Eternal Blue Harmony (JP/NA releases, respectively) But I get to get the game tomorrow!!!! Again, if you get the game tomorrow as well, please no spoilers (unless in the SPOILER tag) outside that of the demo.
eejus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 eejus

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

jedinat

See, now I'm on the 7 to 8 for Crimson Gem Saga but I love level grinding and that's what the game is all about. The only problem I have with the game is the maze like dungeons without maps.

Lunar will be cool to play. I hope that PSN will have it tomorrow but I believe I read that it will be released on the 3rd with a Firmware update. Not exactly sure if the source is trust worthy.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="jedinat"][QUOTE="ThePerro"]

eejus

See, now I'm on the 7 to 8 for Crimson Gem Saga but I love level grinding and that's what the game is all about. The only problem I have with the game is the maze like dungeons without maps.

Lunar will be cool to play. I hope that PSN will have it tomorrow but I believe I read that it will be released on the 3rd with a Firmware update. Not exactly sure if the source is trust worthy.

That's where you're wrong. Some people have already confirmed that they will be getting their copy tomorrow (check link a few posts back...although that particular post is from Amazon, several Gamestops - also noted on the game's board - will also be getting copies in.

Also, link please to the news with the Firmware update (if it's greater than 6.20)?

eejus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eejus

[QUOTE="eejus"]

[QUOTE="jedinat"] While 5.5 was a little harsh, Crimson Gem Saga is an awful game.tjoeb123

That's where you're wrong. Some people have already confirmed that they will be getting their copy tomorrow (check link a few posts back...although that particular post is from Amazon, several Gamestops - also noted on the game's board - will also be getting copies in.

Also, link please to the news with the Firmware update (if it's greater than 6.20)?

I know the UMD release date is the 2nd, tomorrow but I am not sure on the PSN release date. This link is where I got this information from, it used to say march 3rd but now it says march 4th.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]

[QUOTE="eejus"]

eejus

I know the UMD release date is the 2nd, tomorrow but I am not sure on the PSN release date. This link is where I got this information from, it used to say march 3rd but now it says march 4th.

But nowhere in that link does it make any mention of an exclusive firmware update. That's what I'd like to know where that piece of information came from...?

Also, it comes out on PSN the 4th because that's when the PS Store is updated.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anbu-black-ops
I wonder if we'll see Eternal Blue...jordonj
If this game sells alot who knows, maybe we might get lucky. It's all about money. lol. I wouldn't since I wasn't able to finish that game. For some reason I lost interest near the end of the game.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tjoeb123
Thought I'd post with some new stuff I found: Track listing for the LE CD: [spoiler] 01 - Cry of the Black Star 02 - Battle of Light and Darkness 03 - Story Time with Mom and Dad 04 - WINGS 2009 05 - Gentle Light of the Blue Star 06 - Burg - A Quiet Village to the North 07 - Going for a Midday Stroll 08 - Entrusted Hope of the Dragons 09 - Soft Tones on the Sea Breeze 10 - Nocturne of the Wind 2009 (AKA the boat song) 11 - Meribia -The City of Freedom 12 - Vane - The Magic City 13 - Reverie in the Brilliant Light 14 - Reza - Home of the Infamous Thieves' Bazar 15 - Joyous Days Among Friends 16 - A Boy Undeterred by the Unknown 17 - Darkened Ideals 18 - Deep Cave - The Dragon Trial 19 - Imminent Danger 20 - A Brief Repose 21 - Evil Machinations 22 - Go! Go! Magic Masher! 23 - Roar of the Earth 24 - Breakthrough - Turning the Tide of Battle 25 - Victory! 26 - Pierce the Skies 27 - The Towering Grindery 28 - Protecting That Which is Most Dear 29 - A Return to Legend 30 - A Melody from Days of Old 31 - As Adventure Beckons Us On 32 - Going for a Midday Stroll (Piano Solo) 33 - Soft Tones on the Sea Breeze (Piano Solo) 34 - As Adventure Beckons Us On (Piano Solo) Whew...that's a lot of tracks!! [/spoiler] Some of them bear spoilers, so I would advise against listening to some of the tracks until you hear them in the game (for spoiler reasons, like the boat song). I also have an unboxing for you. You can find it here.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tjoeb123
In addition, it looks like it's the full version of WINGS, according to iTunes. Also, beware - if you try to import the CD using iTunes or other media program, the japanese names - yes, that includes japanese characters and the album named "Harmony of Silver Star" (remember, it was out in Japan before Christmas, hence WINGS 2009 and Nocturne of the Wind 2009) - are shown. It won't affect the track listing, however.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
I played Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, but I never did play the first Lunar. So, I might wait for this to drop in price a bit, or wait for used copies to start popping up, but I want to get my hands on it either way and play it.
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Luigi12901

I played Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, but I never did play the first Lunar. So, I might wait for this to drop in price a bit, or wait for used copies to start popping up, but I want to get my hands on it either way and play it.Greyfeld

It's more than worth the money, imo. Minus the sometimes-weird voiceovers and slightly long loading times, it's epicly awesome!

jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 jasontdoto
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts

I am not much of an RPG person. I decided to try Lunar SSH and to be honest, I am really getting bored playing it. There is way too much talking going on. Way too much dialogs. No map is frustrating sometimes. I dont know this game is just boring me to tears. The combat system is fun and I really just want to level grind. But more than 70% of the time I am talking with NPC's in town trying to make the game move forward. I know this is a part of RPG that many players enjoy, but I played Crimson Gem Saga, and there was not that many useless conversations going on. I am so bored already. Please tell me this is only the first few hours and soon it will be more action/level grinding and less talking between characters. Played 5 hours so far, and not enjoying it that much. I guess I am not a true RPG fan.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]I played Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, but I never did play the first Lunar. So, I might wait for this to drop in price a bit, or wait for used copies to start popping up, but I want to get my hands on it either way and play it.Luigi12901

It's more than worth the money, imo. Minus the sometimes-weird voiceovers and slightly long loading times, it's epicly awesome!

That, and you get pictures of girls and a music CD with tracks from the game (not all of them though)!
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jedinat

I am not much of an RPG person. I decided to try Lunar SSH and to be honest, I am really getting bored playing it. There is way too much talking going on. Way too much dialogs. No map is frustrating sometimes. I dont know this game is just boring me to tears. The combat system is fun and I really just want to level grind. But more than 70% of the time I am talking with NPC's in town trying to make the game move forward. I know this is a part of RPG that many players enjoy, but I played Crimson Gem Saga, and there was not that many useless conversations going on. I am so bored already. Please tell me this is only the first few hours and soon it will be more action/level grinding and less talking between characters. Played 5 hours so far, and not enjoying it that much. I guess I am not a true RPG fan.

jasontdoto
lol, you want the characters to shut up and just want to level grind? Go play Disgaea.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="jasontdoto"]

jedinat

lol, you want the characters to shut up and just want to level grind? Go play Disgaea.

:shock::):D:P:lol:

VERY witty... love it!

I dunno, perhaps I just enjoy RPGs from a by-gone era, but this game is PERFECT to me! And also coincidentally, I'm not that big into NPC conversations either... but this game, it's just sooooo GOOOOOOOOOD...

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#38 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I'm enjoying it a lot, I picked up the special edition and the strategy guide just to collect since it was only an extra $13.
jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jasontdoto
[QUOTE="jasontdoto"]

jedinat

I will retire from RPG's after this game and wait till kingdom hearts: BBS. The talking part is just too much for me. I stopped reading it a while ago and just keep pressing X to make it go faster. Wish they made a way for me to skip it entirely. The game is addicting, and I do want to finish it, but the amount of NPC's talking nonsense will soon cause me to call it quits. Its frustrating for me because I am not a hardcore RPG player who enjoys getting involved with the story of the game. I like the story but all the reading that I have to do, makes me want to pick up a good book instead. Level grind barely lasts before I go back to a town and then bunch more talking talking talking.. talking talking.. oh dyne why can't i be like you... oh DYNE I want to be as great warrior as you and be a dragon master!!! but these npc's just keep talking and talking.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tjoeb123
[QUOTE="jedinat"][QUOTE="jasontdoto"]

jasontdoto

I will retire from RPG's after this game and wait till kingdom hearts: BBS. The talking part is just too much for me. I stopped reading it a while ago and just keep pressing X to make it go faster. Wish they made a way for me to skip it entirely. The game is addicting, and I do want to finish it, but the amount of NPC's talking nonsense will soon cause me to call it quits. Its frustrating for me because I am not a hardcore RPG player who enjoys getting involved with the story of the game. I like the story but all the reading that I have to do, makes me want to pick up a good book instead. Level grind barely lasts before I go back to a town and then bunch more talking talking talking.. talking talking.. oh dyne why can't i be like you... oh DYNE I want to be as great warrior as you and be a dragon master!!! but these npc's just keep talking and talking.

I hate to tell you, but if you do that, then you'll mmiss out on much of the story - which is what the game is renowned for anyway.
anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 anbu-black-ops
[QUOTE="jasontdoto"][QUOTE="jedinat"][QUOTE="jasontdoto"]

I feel the same way, that's why I didn't get this game. I already played the original so no need for me to hurry and get this game. The next rpg I will definitely play though is Persona 3 portable. That one is a nice refreshing break from the typical rpg since the gameplay is a bit different and fun.
jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jasontdoto

If you go to last page or first, I posted in this thread about wanting to quit this game due to boredom. I am glad I stuck it out and finished it. A walkthrough really helped me, otherwise I probably would have given up and quit. Walkthrough made it easier for me to know where to go and talk to who to make the game moving faster. I gotta say, even though this game was frustrating sometimes with the endless talking , it is one of the best old school rpg's i have played with a decent (and cheesy) storyline. they totally revamped the game so it does not look that outdated either on the psp. By the time I finished the game, my main character was lvl 45. I think I spent about a week on this game, playing off and on during my free time. I recommend it to those who never tried it and are really into old school rpgs.