LOYAL PS3 owner ..WHAT DO I DO...YLOD!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BLiZZaK07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BLiZZaK07
Member since 2007 • 200 Posts

I JUst didn't think it would happen to mine! BUT Tonight as soon as im excited to finally play GOW3 with some free time...I try to turn on my system this is after Firmware updating it last night and turning it off only after playing about 20 minutes of GOW3...anyways I have the original 60GB PS3 and it is now toast ..

I clean/dust it ALL the time and take good care of it...and unfortunutely this happens....is there any for sure fix out there for fixing this or am I just out of luck and expected to pay the $192 to sony to get myself a new/old fat PS3 cause I like the ports and backwards compatibility over the slim one which they offer you for like $30 less

Is there an easy/for sure fix for it since I know its the HDD or whatever??? or am i just out of luck here...I'm thuroughly upset right now and sure wish my PS3 wasnt dead....So much for taking good care of something mattering....what a waste of money.

BLiZZaK07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BLiZZaK07

Also my GOW3 Disk is still in the freaking system....so there's another $50 down the drain....my gosh what a horrible night. F-ing ridiculous sony that you just force us to feed you another $200 after we spend $600 at launch for it....

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
had my 60gb YLOD about a year and a half ago too.. I'd recommend just buying another one.. you can usually find a used one for less than the price of getting it fixed by sony, also check kijiji, often times repair guys post on there and you could probably get it repaired for >1000
lordfalsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lordfalsus
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

Also my GOW3 Disk is still in the freaking system....so there's another $50 down the drain....my gosh what a horrible night. F-ing ridiculous sony that you just force us to feed you another $200 after we spend $600 at launch for it....

BLiZZaK07
yesa you should prolly look up quick fixes for your phat and turn it in for credit at game stop twoards a new slim... phats are just unreliable, hopefully you realize this and go to a slim
BLiZZaK07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BLiZZaK07

should I go with the slim? I mean i guess i really don't play my Ps2 games on it....But thing is I need to call them to cahnge my order but they are closed already on Sunday...they better change it for me and give me my GOD OF WAR 3 DISK BACK!!!! grrrr

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

had my 60gb YLOD about a year and a half ago too.. I'd recommend just buying another one.. you can usually find a used one for less than the price of getting it fixed by sony, also check kijiji, often times repair guys post on there and you could probably get it repaired for >1000PoisoN_Facecam0

i agree with you. i just bought a new one after it happened to me.

OmegaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 OmegaAK47
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

I would try and get it fixed, look up on sony website. The 60 gb one is worth saving in my opinion because the backward capability.

WolfBlackRiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WolfBlackRiver
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts

I JUst didn't think it would happen to mine! BUT Tonight as soon as im excited to finally play GOW3 with some free time...I try to turn on my system this is after Firmware updating it last night and turning it off only after playing about 20 minutes of GOW3...anyways I have the original 60GB PS3 and it is now toast ..

I clean/dust it ALL the time and take good care of it...and unfortunutely this happens....is there any for sure fix out there for fixing this or am I just out of luck and expected to pay the $192 to sony to get myself a new/old fat PS3 cause I like the ports and backwards compatibility over the slim one which they offer you for like $30 less

Is there an easy/for sure fix for it since I know its the HDD or whatever??? or am i just out of luck here...I'm thuroughly upset right now and sure wish my PS3 wasnt dead....So much for taking good care of something mattering....what a waste of money.

BLiZZaK07

are you still able to do the Fan Test with a YLOD? i think the Fan Test can be used to get the disk out. google fan test, as i dont remember how it is done and its not supose to be done unless you really want to get a disk out, because im sure it ejects it sense starting the fan test requires you to hold down eject while flipping on the switch on the back. hmmm guess i do know how to do it.

fan test isnt a recommended thing if your PS3 is in working order...but in your case....recovering GOW3 is worth it IMO.

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

BLiZZaK07
Its not the HDD for start. And you can fix it yourself, i fixed mine 4 times already, problem is it dies again after about a week so...
danboly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danboly
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
it's still possible to get your game out of a ylod console. follow the steps on youtube :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_nCkK5ciSo
atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

im on my 3rd ps3 60/160 died (red flashing lights) i would heatgun the 60gb motherboard to get it workin again. and then by a slim link them together and do a data trasnfer immediately. thats what i did i didnt want to loose all my saves. my buddy repairs ps3&360 and says once they die get them workin again for a data transfer because the machines can never be trusted again. my other 2 ps3 that broke we got working again but they didnt last long before dying again.

bluewrxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 bluewrxman
Member since 2004 • 1799 Posts

You can try to fix it yourself, its not really that hard, but its not going to be a perminant fix...

and if im not mistaked the fan test only works on the 40 and 80 gig models and not the 60 gig

as for the game you can always take it apart and get it out, but overall i say you get a new slim model because i read that they dont have the ylod issue

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
my BC 60gig YLOD on me with RE5 stuck in it. Personally i was impatient and opened it up to get my game and try some of the fixes online (system was out of warranty) I ended up just buying another PS3 with a warranty from Best Buy
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts
My brother in law Dave has a launch 60gb which has always ran flawless and he has 5 children that use it. I have a 20gb launch which has always ran flawless. My brother in law Ben has a 60gb launch model that has always ran flawless. I don't think all of them fail. I would send it in to Sony to get it repaired. It'll cost you less than a new one, plus your game is in it too.
pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
Is it just me or there are too many YLOD threads like this one lately? I have a 40GB myself which I bought used. It's been working great so far. Not that I have played many games with it anyway. I have only finished 3 games on it actually. I use my PS2 much more. Still, I don't wanna see my PS3 roasted. Wanna play Versus 13.
RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 RustedTruck650
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

the more YLOD threads the merrier, sony needs to show some kind of remorse about the whole issue which has infuriated a good number of loyal fans. I really dont appreciate my system dying only after 4 yrs of life when i paid $600+ for it.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
My 60GB broke 2 months ago, had it repaired at a guy for 80$, works fine but i don't use it anymore, i'm too pissed. I bought a gaming PC instead. Never touched my ps3 since then.
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

what pisses me off about the ylod is that most of the time it's just the chips unsoldering themselves and nothing is actually breaking

Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

the more YLOD threads the merrier, sony needs to show some kind of remorse about the whole issue which has infuriated a good number of loyal fans. I really dont appreciate my system dying only after 4 yrs of life when i paid $600+ for it.

RustedTruck650
Yeah, but people here wont symphatize with you. Its not 3 percent that fail, its much more.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

Bow-T_88
Yeah, but people here wont symphatize with you. Its not 3 percent that fail, its much more.

any data for that?
dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3135 Posts

DO NOT GET IT FIXED! Unless you do it yourself. I had my launch fatty break and went through 3 refurbs before I broke down and bought a slim. It just seems a better idea to put that $200 towards a brand new system; bc isn't that important.

freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Bow-T_88"][QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

any data for that?

Here is an article putting it at around 10%. The problem with the study is it on relies on statistics that were reported to them. My PS3 failed like 6 weeks ago and I fixed it myself. I took it apart and applied my own thermal paste and it has yet to overheat once since then, knock on wood.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I would not send it to Sony. It will probably just break after a certain time, then you would have to pay to fix it again after the 3 month warranty expires. I would just buy a slim. I still have my 60 gb but if it breaks I would probably just get a slim myself and maybe a PS2 to play my PS2 games.

I am surprised Sony is not fixing people's 60 gb PS3's for free because it seems like everyone's 60 gb PS3s are breaking lately. After spending $ 500-$ 600 dollars Sony should fix them for free.

BLiZZaK07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BLiZZaK07

They offer a 120GB Slim replacement...I'm pretty sure its refurbished factory one but they seem to not have any issues...I didn't really use the SD slot or extra USB ports on the 60GB nor did I really use the Backwards compatibility so that's no big loss for me....I just want a reliable system and i'm frustrated I have to wait 2 1/2 weeks to now to get a PS3 back.

So instead of getting my 60GB replaced or repaired i'm taking the 120GB slim offer which is $30 cheaper and still gotta fork out $150 though.

perdition24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 perdition24
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

Mine also died a day after the update.... I had a 60GB ps3, Feb.07, it died on the saturday that just went by... I took good care of it too. Here's a link to official ps forums i urge you to post your info there too...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/UNOFFICIAL-YLOD-VICTIMS-LIST/m-p/46167302#M4425298

brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brown_flame
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
[QUOTE="BLiZZaK07"]

if u have warranty, that would really be great, if not call sony and see if they can help u, but since it mite be a HDD issue it shudnt be to hard to fix, good luck.
qbamike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 qbamike
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts

just check on craig list if u find someone to fix it for $40 or $50 thats what i did and it worked. then i sold it after a month n got me the slim

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

BLiZZaK07

What you need to to is re flow or whatever its called the system, and replace the thermal paste. IT will work for a little while could be 5min could be days or it could be a permanent fix. But that will be enough to get out the GOW 3 disc. THen i would buy a slim way more reliable