LAIR Gets A 4.9 From IGN (US)

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Space_Cowboy7 (452 posts) -

Ouch..... http://ps3.ign.com.

Anyone Disapointed or did you see this coming? They called it a "sixaxis suckfest"

#2 Posted by defkickjam (293 posts) -
yah man i was just on that. lair looked so freken good wonder y the bad rating. i am still gonna at least rent it to c for my self. anywas i am getting warhawk today and heard so far that its an great game .
#3 Posted by DarxPhil (1134 posts) -
Damn, just posted this.:(
#4 Posted by espoac (4216 posts) -
They gave the graphics a 7.5. I think it desreves at least an 8.5
#6 Posted by scrubsfan718 (192 posts) -
Stupid they had so much hype and support from sony wth why did they mess up. I hope heavenly sword gets better
#7 Posted by da1writer (581 posts) -
Who the **** cares about reviews. Everyone is just hatin' on IGN. I'm going to buy the game despite reviews!The consumermakes the decision if a game is good or not, not the reviewer! Are they buying/renting the game for me, no! I am and I will be getting this after I come back from Anchorage this Weekend. I'll tell you if it is good or not if anyone wants to know. I don't actually care/trust reviewers anymore when it comes to PS3 games, sorry, my opinion of course.
#8 Posted by w7w7w7w7w7 (4891 posts) -
I would care, but I'm to busy playing Warhawk :)
#9 Posted by Krigon (5591 posts) -
It seems the reviewer hated the Sixaxis control scheme and it really seems thats the reason for the really low score.
#10 Posted by Jamh83 (689 posts) -
IGN sucks with Sixaxis, just look at their review of Super Rub-A-Dub 2.9.
#11 Posted by hezbollahector (492 posts) -
lololololoololol i knew it would get bad reviews XD
#12 Posted by sainraja (1956 posts) -
I just played it. It's a good game.....reviewers aren't doing this game justice.
#13 Posted by G-Legend (7351 posts) -

IGN sucks with Sixaxis, just look at their review of Super Rub-A-Dub 2.9.Jamh83

I think I agree like seriously Rub-A-Dub wasn't 2.9 bad lol and I don't think LAIR is either.

#14 Posted by SKOPY291 (209 posts) -
you know... I don't think they're PS3 bashing on any accounts.
#15 Posted by BrianLittrell (91 posts) -
Hey da1writer! Sony **** Blows ya **** and i wont bleep myself. They are a bunch of idiots
#16 Posted by sxs_alex (933 posts) -
this review will teach a lot of developers to make analog stick as an option. i'm shocked that they left that option out after it was being pushed back. really dumb move. to be honest i hated the sixaxis in motorstorm. i tried it once and hated it. the only game so far that works well with the sixaxis is Folklore.
#17 Posted by G-Legend (7351 posts) -
I just read the review it seems it was the controls and I don't think these reviewers gave the game a chance for change at all that can sometimes be risky with certain changes but seriously he was talking about how the sixaxis controls are bad and all this crap he gave the graphics a low score which imo look just as good as GeoW with more people and on a huge scale it was just bash after bash.
#18 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (7122 posts) -

thats not good. two major ps3game scoring below expectations and this game far far below what i was expecting.

anyway its rather strange they wrote glowing previews on it but then the review is so negative.

and i have to disagree on the graphics aswell they're amazing and imo better than heavenly swords

#19 Posted by Space_Cowboy7 (452 posts) -

i dont care.

i seen gameplay videos and it looks fine.

they just hate the ps3 because its black.

shroom76

LOL! Word yo:P

#20 Posted by guyhunter (3691 posts) -
I think IGN are very fair with their reviews, and for this reason I can see no reason to purchase Lair.

Now back to Warhawk...
#21 Posted by master_spoon (275 posts) -
The only thing I don't understand is why Lair got so much love in PREVIEWS, as it was featured regularly in magazines and websites. Then bam, the reviews are horrible. The media built this game up with tons of hype, and then crushed it because of the controls. Weird.
#22 Posted by attorihanzo (587 posts) -
im avoiding the lair forums, trolls will get fed alot out of this.
#23 Posted by SSJMajinVegeta (252 posts) -
That's no good, lol.
#24 Posted by Krigon (5591 posts) -

Now after reading the whole article I have come to the conclusion this guy doesn't like the Sixaxis at all. The article was just a rant about the sixaxis control scheme and not much more. He said " ...and above all else, Lair has a great story." and he even praised the graphics "...Rohn smacks his dragon to make him fly faster, the creature's slick wings shine, and you can't help but marvel at the sun-drenched buildings of Asylia as you soar above them. When you get your eyes on the FMVs, the visual delights just get better." -

The funny part is on their previews they where praising the control scheme.

"As we've reported previously, the SIXAXIS copes easily with dogfights in open areas, but negotiating the confined chasms without being spotted is a much tougher test of the controller's precision. Thankfully it feels responsive without being twitchy and with a little practice - we're talking less than a few minutes - gliding past the spotlights becomes second nature. The task is made considerably easier by your dragon's ability to hover, enabling you to wait for the spotlight to pass before swooping under. It can dash too, so if you accidentally stray into the light - at which point the Mokai hammer your winged beast with fireballs - you can quickly escape back into the safety of the darkness." - Alex Simmons (UK IGN)

Is it the same journalis doing the review and previews? No it ain't! Okay you might say thats the UK reviewer, but the US previewer was Chris Roper and not Greg miller (the reviewer that gave it 4.9)

#25 Posted by G-Legend (7351 posts) -

Now after reading the whole article i come to the conclusion this guy doesn't like the Sixaxis at all. The article was just a rant about the sixaxis control scheme and not much more. He said " ...and above all else, Lair has a great story." and he even praised the graphics "...Rohn smacks his dragon to make him fly faster, the creature's slick wings shine, and you can't help but marvel at the sun-drenched buildings of Asylia as you soar above them. When you get your eyes on the FMVs, the visual delights just get better." -

"As we've reported previously, the SIXAXIS copes easily with dogfights in open areas, but negotiating the confined chasms without being spotted is a much tougher test of the controller's precision. Thankfully it feels responsive without being twitchy and with a little practice - we're talking less than a few minutes - gliding past the spotlights becomes second nature. The task is made considerably easier by your dragon's ability to hover, enabling you to wait for the spotlight to pass before swooping under. It can dash too, so if you accidentally stray into the light - at which point the Mokai hammer your winged beast with fireballs - you can quickly escape back into the safety of the darkness." - Alex Simmons (UK IGN)

Is it the same journalis doing the review and previews? No it ain't!

Krigon

LMAO it's just the reviewer that's why I hate these reviews like seriously.

#26 Posted by ballasteve (461 posts) -

The only thing I don't understand is why Lair got so much love in PREVIEWS, as it was featured regularly in magazines and websites. Then bam, the reviews are horrible. The media built this game up with tons of hype, and then crushed it because of the controls. Weird.master_spoon

that is weird. its almost like they built us up, only to crush our dreams. meh. im getting my copy tomorrow, and i bet it wont suck lol

#27 Posted by Absynthetic (1897 posts) -

Now after reading the whole article i come to the conclusion this guy doesn't like the Sixaxis at all. The article was just a rant about the sixaxis control scheme and not much more. He said " ...and above all else, Lair has a great story." and he even praised the graphics "...Rohn smacks his dragon to make him fly faster, the creature's slick wings shine, and you can't help but marvel at the sun-drenched buildings of Asylia as you soar above them. When you get your eyes on the FMVs, the visual delights just get better." -

Krigon

well now thats interesting

I remember reading that preivew and they were saying the controls were not an issue

#28 Posted by shadystxxx (2158 posts) -

Ouch..... http://ps3.ign.com.

Anyone Disapointed or did you see this coming? They called it a "sixaxis suckfest"

Space_Cowboy7

Ive been saying this for weeks that this game looks really bad gameplay wise, the graphics are great in spots but also poor in spots the dragons look amazing but when i seen the level with the volcano's i couldnt help but stare at how bad the mountains looked. thats a small gripe.

But gameplay wise it looks really poor, im one that doesnt listen to reviews i can tell what games i want from gameplay vids previews etc etc and lair at first looked interesting but the more i see of it, it just looks bland and repetitive, the combat looks poor when they played on the spot they just kept bumping into dragons and the enemy dragon would just die it seemed there was only 1-2 animations for killing the rider or the other animated death moves so it will look cool the first few times.

Level design looks totally repetitive after seeing around 4 different levels through previews it always open space/mountains in background and a bridge full of troops.

Timed missions again make it a no buy for me, i hate games like this as you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a few missions where you have to kill x amount of things in a certain time and you will have to do it over and over again, tedious and repetitive.

I may rent this game to check it out but theres far too many great looking games on ps3/360 and pcfor me to even considr buying this.

Sorry to those people that like the look of the game this is just my opinion and i could be wrong am just doing the same as you going off what ive seen. but so far it seems must respectable sites are proving my worries.

#29 Posted by shock-nick1991 (32 posts) -
i am about to state everything that i have on my mind so i dont forget it and this is all stuff you wnat to hear i hope cuz ur readin it lol

1. first off these are igns 5 scores 8.0
7.5- "graphics" there you already know they fkkked up
and if you add all those scores you get 33.5 go ahead calculate and to get an average you divide by 5 becuase of 5 scores and guess what you get........6.7 not good but not FRIGIN 4.9 POOR jerks...srri cheezed me off lol

2. but i also have to state sumthing that im very mad to say..this game is 80 dollers ( i liv in canada) so thats alot and for a game to be avg at around 67 percent from different sites ( i check gamerankings) you know that the game isnt the 9.0 i thought its avg wuld be and another game that i culd add to my alredy resistance fall of man oblivion def jam icon( i like rap and wrestling but im disapointed that i bought it) and newly added warhawk which i am very happy about, so in the end i dislike listenin to these so called gameing rating professionals but i need to know i spent 80 dollers on a great game that may not have online but can stay entertainin for more than 12 hours like oblivion ( 65 hours in) and sadly from listenin to the reviews they all clearly say even if you beat the game once you wont wanna play again sorta like def jam icon but atleast it had online so my final words rent it first lol or play it at a friends house who spent money on it so you dont have to lol
#30 Posted by master_spoon (275 posts) -
After reading the IGN review, I am going to rent this game. The reviewer praises the graphics, then bashes them. One the comments below the review, a player states that this reviewer obviously is a noob, as the controls described do not match what is possible with the game. I am not convinced about a purchase though, with all the hate surrounding this game. I do want to give it a try though, as I was really interested in it. Rent for sure.
#31 Posted by shadystxxx (2158 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krigon"]

Absynthetic

well now thats interesting

I remember reading that preivew and they were saying the controls were not an issue

The preview was by ign uk and the review was by ign u.s, im not sure what score or wat ign uk sid about the game.

But i see this quite often gaming sites praise games in previews then they give bad scores, i remember gamespot previewing superman and saying it was good and then said it was terrible happens all the time.

But you have to remember a preview is just a snipet of the game that devlopers especially pick for them to play.

#32 Posted by ginglejangle (3171 posts) -
well im getting heavenly sword now.
#33 Posted by allegrettom (47 posts) -
why hasnt gamespot reviewed it yet?
#34 Posted by finalfantasy94 (27423 posts) -
Ok I need a demo now more then ever. Why? because I never rent games im sorry but 8-10 bucks to rent is just dumb and I dont like using online renting like gamefly.
#35 Posted by graze81 (396 posts) -
I was skeptical about this game for a while now, turns out my gut was right. I'll maybe rent it, but thats if there is nothing else to rent. Hopefully we still get a demo :P
#36 Posted by raystorm87 (165 posts) -

Well when you solve a math problem and you can't do it right or even cant do it at all, does that means the problem is stupid or...

#37 Posted by sxs_alex (933 posts) -

why hasnt gamespot reviewed it yet?allegrettom

this game will get 4.5 here at GS. unless the reviewer enjoys the sixaxis and may give it a 7.

#38 Posted by raystorm87 (165 posts) -

Well when you solve a math problem and you can't do it right or even cant do it at all, does that mean the problem is stupid or... too bad that the reviewer dont know how touse the sixaxis and dump all his frustration into the game review

#39 Posted by PrimordialMeme (1279 posts) -

I applaud IGN.

This game looked awful from the first few videos. Repetitive uninteresting dragon flying FTL!

#40 Posted by R3volv3r_Snake (260 posts) -
hahahaahahaahhaahh- hype....
#41 Posted by da1writer (581 posts) -

Hey da1writer! Sony **** Blows ya **** and i wont bleep myself. They are a bunch of idiotsBrianLittrell

Lmao! That's not really called for is it :P! The only reasons I can think of why you would post that is because...

1) Do you know me?

2) I'm guessing you are a 360 Fanboy/ not a PS3 owner...

3) You read my sig or took my post to heart

Anyway, say whatever you will, some people will get this game no matter what IGN's dumb reviews say. You don't have to get the game if you don't want to but Trolling isn't taken very well by me and a few people on these forums. I hope you at least give the game a try(rental) before bashing that it is aweful. I usually buy games (like Lair) that I'm really hyped up about and decided myself if it is good or not. I'll either keep it because I liked it or trade it in if I didn't...

#42 Posted by austin_is_god (635 posts) -
Bah, I hate the fact that sony threw those "me too" motion crap controls onto the PS3's controller at the last minute because now we are forced to use the rubbish for games like Lair. I HATE the PS3's so called motion sensor controls and they are crap as far as I am concerned. I hope things like this don't keep happening on the PS3, the motion rubbish should be an OPTION not the only choice. I don't want a stupid Wii and I sure as hell don't want to have watered down wii controls shoved down my throat on the PS3. Using it like they did in Folksoul is fine but tihngs like Lair, no thanks!
#43 Posted by akuya32 (1166 posts) -

wow, 2 many people take what ign and other people say 2 much to heart. I got the game and I like it no matter what anyone says. try it and see for yourself, or just read what other people have to say and play the game through them.

Gamers Game....Fanboys pick sides...

#44 Posted by navigata (7619 posts) -
IMHO it deserved it...
Avatar image for Soul_to_Squeeze
#45 Posted by Soul_to_Squeeze (560 posts) -
its funny how when a game that was supposed to be good gets some bad reviews, all the ps3 fanboys cry and say its just bc the person that reivewed it is biased, or isnt good at using the sixaxis controls. whatever makes ya feel better...
#46 Posted by GaMiNg_iS_GoOd (664 posts) -

i dont care.

shroom76

:lol: This made me laught, i really dont care about the score, i never thought the game looked fun, it looks to repetitive, and boring.

#47 Posted by linkin_guy109 (8864 posts) -
i had a feeling this was coming...the trailers for this game got me excited about it but then i heard some bad things about it and it kinda got my excitment...looks like im not gonna be picking this one up
#48 Posted by OfficialBed (17668 posts) -

i dont care.

shroom76

LOL!!!

#49 Posted by alexmanny01 (115 posts) -

i just got the game...at first the controls are a little hard to get used to because you want to us the joy sticks..

but after the first mission i have got the hang of the controls and i am in the 3rd mission and so far all i can say it's that it is a solid game and look forward to playing some over the weekend...i suggest people give it a try before they say this game is not good....

peace

#50 Posted by fistoflight (7943 posts) -
Guys put it this way, most of us were hyping lair, warhawk, and heavenly sword to be good games for the ps3. Lair is getting bad reviews, heavenly sword is getting both, and warhawk has been getting a lot of good reviews only one bad one from psm. (infilitrated by xbot of course) But we all gotta admit all those three games couldn't of been AAA but i think heavenly sword has a good chance to be as good as warhawk. So heavenly sword for offline and warhawk for online... But sony isn't finished this year yet, there is still ut3, haze, rathchet and clank, folklore, and uncharted. So best of luck to those games.