Lair deserved a better rating

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SceaduHyrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 SceaduHyrde
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts
Despite poor ratings due to horrible controls, perhaps those nutjobs that reviewed the game didn't look at the tutorial on how to blend into this game. It's different, yes, not a typical game with easy controls though, someone actually gave it a 7.5. I would give it atleast a 7.0.
Dante_May_Die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dante_May_Die
Member since 2008 • 1505 Posts
yea man people gave it 8.5 after the update controller ign and gamespot should re-rate lair but you know gamespot too lazy to move the arse
argetlam_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 argetlam_28
Member since 2008 • 233 Posts
i agree
kc666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kc666
Member since 2003 • 102 Posts
I'd give it 8.5 hand down. If you got the skills then the 6axis control is amazing.
neovalkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 neovalkyr
Member since 2003 • 1097 Posts

Yeah seriously, i didn't have much trouble with the controls at all. I've seen people struggle with six axis controls and i know it's all user side error. My sister for example instead of tilting the controller to the left/right, she will also rotate it. I keep telling her rotating the controller will have no effect on the game but she just cant get used to it. I've see people move the controller to the left/right and once again that will have no effect on the game, you've got to tilt it.

Thirdly when you quickly tilt the controller upwards to make a U-turn, people tend to tilt it downward before tilting it upwards. Then they wonder why the dragon didn't make a U turn, but actually dashed forward first.

4th user side error is when people try to straighten out their dragon. Instead of leveling out the controller they will tilt it in the opposite direction like its a balancing act. If you want to go straight hold the controller level.

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts
The game hurts and annoys my writsts :)
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

yeah i agree, specially with the patch they released for the controls.... i think it should have receveived 7.5/10... :)

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 somesthetic
Member since 2004 • 3344 Posts

no, the game is terrible. I rented it after the analog update, and it's still a total mess.

you liking it doesn't make it a good game either, it just means you like a terrible game.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

no, the game is terrible. I rented it after the analog update, and it's still a total mess.

you liking it doesn't make it a good game either, it just means you like a terrible game.

somesthetic
how does it, its all opinions, and i agree even before the analog stick patch it was a great game.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I still didnt like after the patch. The cutscenes were pretty cool, but that's all it had going for it. It's like a bad Rogue Squadron game.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50676 Posts
Controls were only one of many flaws with Lair. The game got what it deserved even after the controller "update."
SceaduHyrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SceaduHyrde
The game hurts and annoys my writsts :)moshakirby18
If only they designed a better control system for that type of game.
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
that is because the people rated the game probly only played the first level not giving the controls a chance because 90% of lair players had no trouble with the controls i now i didn't. i love ripping the heads off by the up and down motion it made it feel more epic.
SceaduHyrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SceaduHyrde
Controls were only one of many flaws with Lair. The game got what it deserved even after the controller "update."Chutebox
According to Gamespot, that was the main reason for such a poor rating all control related as for the other flaw, not many, the story was somewhat 'shallow'.

somesthetic
1. Game's not a utterly messed up, it's playable, simply some technical flaws. 2. I wonder if you know the meaning of "READ THE TITLE." 3. I have good taste mind you, though, I have not played this game in particular I admit but looks very nice for its graphics, decent gameplay, nice game physics and sweet combat scenes (rhino's head flying off).
I still didnt like after the patch. The cutscenes were pretty cool, but that's all it had going for it. It's like a bad Rogue Squadron game.Elann2008
Persuasion or influencing isn't my personal agenda but I won't comment on your personal opinion.
moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]Controls were only one of many flaws with Lair. The game got what it deserved even after the controller "update."SceaduHyrde
According to Gamespot, that was the main reason for such a poor rating all control related as for the other flaw, not many, the story was somewhat 'shallow'.

somesthetic

1. Game's not a utterly messed up, it's playable, simply some technical flaws. 2. I wonder if you know the meaning of "READ THE TITLE." 3. I have good taste mind you, though, I have not played this game in particular I admit but looks very nice for its graphics, decent gameplay, nice game physics and sweet combat scenes (rhino's head flying off).
I still didnt like after the patch. The cutscenes were pretty cool, but that's all it had going for it. It's like a bad Rogue Squadron game.Elann2008
Persuasion or influencing isn't my personal agenda but I won't comment on your personal opinion.

When a flaw is so glaringly obvious, its often hard to see the rest of the flaws. Once the controlls were improved the rest of it's problems were revealed and so the score stayed the same

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
I think that the controllers were really easy and responsive. Critically speaking, the game should have got a 7-7.5 due to some minor graphical issues (if we take into consideration the amount of stuff on screen, graphics dont need t be all on par. But explosions could have been better. Then we have the legnth of the game which is around 8 hours. Imo, its a game deserving in my book an 8-8.5 especially because of the kicka** music.
pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts

Tha game got a patch?

Well I bought it but I was dissapointed and sold it. Wish I could have tried the patch!

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 LuckyLy
Member since 2008 • 1987 Posts

somesthetic

Reviewer's not liking the game doesn't make the game bad either. It all comes down to personal taste.

mezzo20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 mezzo20
Member since 2008 • 1702 Posts
i liked it.7.5/10 by me.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
I did get some enjoyment out of the game, but it is pretty terrible.
coasterguy47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 coasterguy47
Member since 2008 • 131 Posts
i learned the controls in 3 minutes. i don't know how people think it's broken. overall i think lair a great game i'd give it an 8.0
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts

I hardly EVER hold the controller completely level...so for me the whole "motion sensing" crap is a no go. After the patch was released, I gleaned some enjoyment out of it, but I still wouldn't rate it above a 7/10.

ski11buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ski11buzz
Member since 2003 • 2117 Posts

yea man people gave it 8.5 after the update controller ign and gamespot should re-rate lair but you know gamespot too lazy to move the arseDante_May_Die

gamespot did re-review it after the patch. go look up lair and im sure you can find it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50676 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]Controls were only one of many flaws with Lair. The game got what it deserved even after the controller "update."SceaduHyrde

The story was crap, the FPS was not good at all, the gameplay wasn't engaging at all and was boring with no rewarding feeling from doing anything. Gameplay was repetitive as hell and consisted of shooting fire or holding down button to spray it, or land and button mash melee. The target system is nothing short of crap!

There, many faults with this game.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 somesthetic
Member since 2004 • 3344 Posts
[QUOTE="somesthetic"]

LuckyLy

Reviewer's not liking the game doesn't make the game bad either. It all comes down to personal taste.

I want to clear something up, there is a difference between technical proficiency and personal taste. on the technical side, something can be a total clusterfunk, and regardless of what you got out of the game, you cannot deny that.

Lair is technically bad, it has issues everywhere, the controls were just the most annoying gripe when it came out. maybe you were able to overlook these issues and enjoy the game, but that doesn't make it a better game than it is.

not everything comes down to opinion.

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
It did. But you have to remember that reviews are just opinions. I know there are a LOT of games that I enjoyed that got bad scores. Like Too Human.