KZ3 bricked my ps3. Now what?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts

I have a 60 gb original model that I got 4 years ago.

Just last night, while watching a cutscene on Killzone 3, my ps3 just shut down. Now when I turn it on, it goes green, the fan turns on, and then it starts blinking red.

What should I do? And how do I get my game out?

Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts

Turn off the system, put your finger on the eject button and turn it on. The disc should eject.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Its been a while since i handled a PS3 issue cause i traded my old Phat for a Slim. But from what your saying it doesnt sound Bricked. Turns on,then fan kicks,then blinkin red . It sounds more power related than actually the console itself,the worse case scenario is YLOD and thats not what you described.

Best bet is to check some info online,you would do quite a bit of searching but you would find a possible solution,also if you desperately wana take out your disc,just look at video tutorials of how to unscrew the PS3 on youtube,its simple

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
when it turns on.. are you sure it's green and not yellow? when my cousin got a ylod, his ps3 turned on w/ yellow light and started blinking red.
bluewrxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 bluewrxman
Member since 2004 • 1799 Posts

If im not mistaken the holding the eject button thing only works with the 40 gig and 80 gig, but if you didnt get a yellow light you might just have a bad power supply....maybe, google it....google always knows more

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jman1553
Yeah, it's definitely a green light before it starts blinking red. And no, the disc still won't eject after holding the eject button, then turning it on.
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

Be graeatfull that it lasted 4 years, and how can you say KZ3 bricked your PS3.If it happened while playing Resistance for example would you say that Resistance bricked your PS3.As for the issue try contacting SONY.Never before heard of this kind of problem.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
don't blame the game. it just happened to break when you were playing that game. id recommend getting in contact with sony, as this isnt a common issue.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
Faulty power cable me thinks.Just call Sony to be sure.
SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
You just got the YLOD man. The same happened to me and MLB the show was in the system. Guess what? The game is still in the broken system. Lasted 4 years though, time to get a new ps3 and killzone game unfortunately.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
A game can't brick a system like that, it's just bad timing. 60GB models seem to be breaking down all over the place, mine included.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Its always the game... If you were playing MW2 would you say it bricked your ps3? Or if you were playing your PSP and your PS3 beeped and wouldn't boot up would you say your psp bricked your ps3?
Ironbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ironbash
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts

Got a good running 40gb off a friend, tried the KZ3 demo, caused flashing red lights, tried again later - did the same. The next day when I tried, it got the YLOD. Staying on topic: Probably a heat issue TC, KZ3 is a demanding game that while using 100% SPE usage causes a huge amount of heat, usually not enough for the stock fan to handle. Either get it reflowed/reballed with a fan mod or get a slim.

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jman1553
Its always the game... If you were playing MW2 would you say it bricked your ps3? Or if you were playing your PSP and your PS3 beeped and wouldn't boot up would you say your psp bricked your ps3? JohnF111
My god, calm down. It was a figure of speech. I had no idea anyways.
BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts
don't blame the game. it just happened to break when you were playing that game. id recommend getting in contact with sony, as this isnt a common issue.starwarsjunky
^ THIS. I hate when people blame the game.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]don't blame the game. it just happened to break when you were playing that game. id recommend getting in contact with sony, as this isnt a common issue.BonoBoy
^ THIS. I hate when people blame the game.

Man you guys need to back off jman. He is asking for help on any tips, you don't need to give useless critiques. I would recommend you try to reflow your PS3 since you are out of warranty after you google your issue and see if anyone else had similar problems. If this fails then take your disc drive apart to get your game and then buy a slim killzone 3 pack and sell the game. This way you can get at least 50 bucks back and will have a new system under warranty. Getting a retail extended warranty isn't a bad idea either.
OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

while downloading the retro map pack my ps3 finally died on me got a slim coming friday now I just need to get my old 60 gig fix just to get the data off the hdd.

pakcikkantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pakcikkantin
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

You are not alone, my PS3 also died when playing KZ3 especially on Multiplayer...

I have Phat 80GB model

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I doubt the actuall game caused your console to malfunction.
grodiguez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grodiguez
Member since 2011 • 40 Posts
id say if you cant fix it yourself, there are always places you can take it to get fixed. id imagine its a whole lot cheaper to get it fixed than to get a new one. however, if the difference isnt much than id say buy a new one just for peace of mind.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

Turn off the system, put your finger on the eject button and turn it on. The disc should eject.

ps3_owns_360Wii

That doesn't work on 60GB models.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
My 4 year old PS3 just broke from the blinking red light a couple weeks ago too. I just got it back today. Go to gophermods.com if you want them to fix them. It's only $70 and if you're close, they're pretty fast. When I got mine back today, everything was the same (saves, game data, profiles, etc.). The only downside is that they tell you that you can't really play for more than 2 hours at a time without a 25 minute break.
jasper061992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasper061992
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts

Seen as it has been 4 years, you are out of warranty. But what I could recommend you doing is to reflow your PS3. What I mean by that is by stripping off the case down to the bare motherboard. Grab a heat gun and run it over both the CPU and GPU for a few minutes. That should reflow the solder joints underneath them. If you don't have a heat gun, here is a slightly more risky method but worked wonders for me. The oven fix. Not sure if everyone will agree with this but it has a high success:failure/risk ratio. Check on Youtube.

Make sure you strip all the casing (including the battery) off the motherboard wrap the undersides of the motherboard in foil, preheat the oven to 200C (convert that to F if in US), bake the motherboard in the oven for 10 minutes maximum, let it to cool down for 15 mins. That should have reflowed the ball pins under the chips on the motherboard. Fit all the casing back together and it should work. :)

noway78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 noway78
Member since 2010 • 238 Posts

Be graeatfull that it lasted 4 years, and how can you say KZ3 bricked your PS3.If it happened while playing Resistance for example would you say that Resistance bricked your PS3.As for the issue try contacting SONY.Never before heard of this kind of problem.

DISSESHOWEDO

ty for that, i was thinking the same thing, i never understood how a game broke someones sysytem, lol

noway78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 noway78
Member since 2010 • 238 Posts

Seen as it has been 4 years, you are out of warranty. But what I could recommend you doing is to reflow your PS3. What I mean by that is by stripping off the case down to the bare motherboard. Grab a heat gun and run it over both the CPU and GPU for a few minutes. That should reflow the solder joints underneath them. If you don't have a heat gun, here is a slightly more risky method but worked wonders for me. The oven fix. Not sure if everyone will agree with this but it has a high success:failure/risk ratio. Check on Youtube.

Make sure you strip all the casing (including the battery) off the motherboard wrap the undersides of the motherboard in foil, preheat the oven to 200C (convert that to F if in US), bake the motherboard in the oven for 10 minutes maximum, let it to cool down for 15 mins. That should have reflowed the ball pins under the chips on the motherboard. Fit all the casing back together and it should work. :)

jasper061992

thats the wackies stuff i ever heard, who keeps a heat gun in there closet

jasper061992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jasper061992
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts

[QUOTE="jasper061992"]

noway78

thats the wackies stuff i ever heard, who keeps a heat gun in there closet

Same thing as owning any other tools. But then there is always the oven fix which albeit more risky, it works most of the time.

pakcikkantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pakcikkantin
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

This is my assumption

1. i use power extension this might be the caused, not enough power

2. The fan was too fast to process KZ3 and kicked my ps3