Kingdom Hearts Backwards Compatibility?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

I never played the games but with the remake of the GBA one for PS2 just being released I was thinking now was a good time to pick up all three games for about $60. My question is will it play on the 80gb PS3 that has limited BC. I got the one with the metal gear bundle but if what I have been reading is correct it is somehow limited. I also don't know if I need a PS2 memmory card or if I can just save it on the hard drive. It seems like a great series, all the fans seem very passionate about it and all the forum talk about an inevitable sequel has made me look at the series agaian. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mosannam9696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Mosannam9696
Member since 2004 • 229 Posts
No im pretty sure all the new PS3's have no backwards compatibility at all.
Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts

Save this website, it will tell you if the game is compatible and if there are any known bugs:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

It says there are no major problems with these titles.

jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts

No im pretty sure all the new PS3's have no backwards compatibility at all.Mosannam9696
The TC isn't asking about the new PS3s. He's asking about his 80GB (MGS4 bundle) which did still have BC.

To the question at hand, I'm not sure if it will work. I tried checking the compatibility database (http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus), but Chain of Memories is not listed at all; which means Sony hasn't updated it to reflect any of the more recent titles. KH1 and 2 are listed to work just fine though. You'll have to wait and see if anyone here has actually played Chain of Memories on a PS3. As for the memory card question, presuming it's playable on your PS3 you don't need to buy a memory card. You can create "virtual" PS2 memory cards on the PS3 hard drive so you can save your games. Take a look at "Memory Card Utility" under the games section of the XMB.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts
[QUOTE="Thetaguru"]

Save this website, it will tell you if the game is compatible and if there are any known bugs:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

It says there are no major problems with these titles.

It doesn't have the Chain of Memories PS2 remake on there, but it works fine on my 60GB PS3 - I doubt there any risks in trying it anyway - it's a very recent game, so it should work. All of the issues with the 80GB PS2 BC seem to be with older games.
Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts
Oh yea, forgot to answer your other question. You don't need a PS2 memory card. You will just have to make one on your PS3 harddrive. Real easy to do, just follow the on screen directions.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts
all 3 kingdom hearts games will work on the 80GB ps3 as i have tried all 3 of them and am playing the remake of the gameboy one KH:chine of memories and it works so fine . but with the ps3 you got i doubt if it will work since yours is kinda new and i got mine a long time ago , try and search or ask someone in gamestop or EBgames
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 abdelmessih101
all 3 kingdom hearts games will work on the 80GB ps3 as i have tried all 3 of them and am playing the remake of the gameboy one KH:chine of memories and it works so fine . but with the ps3 you got i doubt if it will work since yours is kinda new and i got mine a long time ago , try and search or ask someone in gamestop or EBgamesfinalstar2007
The MGS4 Bundle 80GB was the last version of the 80GB PS3s to have software-emulation for PS2 backwards compatibility so he's fine. Also, most employees at game stores have no idea what they're talking about when it to the PS3 - especially in the US.
cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cronew1

Thank you all very much for your help I am really looking forward into starting this franchise but I forgot to ask 1 question should I play them in the order they came out? If I remember correctly Chains of memmory is a prequel to the second one.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 abdelmessih101

Thank you all very much for your help I am really looking forward into starting this franchise but I forgot to ask 1 question should I play them in the order they came out? If I remember correctly Chains of memmory is a prequel to the second one.

cronew1
The order they came out was Kingdom Hearts, then Chain of Memories, then Kingdom Hearts II. Chain of Memories was originally for the GBA, and just because the PS2 port came out after KH2 doesn't mean you should play it in that order. You will understand and appreciate Kingdom Hearts II much more if you play Chain of Memories before it. Just know that Chaim of Memories was originally a GBA game, so the gameplay and presentation is somewhat different than that of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.
cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cronew1

[QUOTE="Mosannam9696"]No im pretty sure all the new PS3's have no backwards compatibility at all.jt4mtb

The TC isn't asking about the new PS3s. He's asking about his 80GB (MGS4 bundle) which did still have BC.

To the question at hand, I'm not sure if it will work. I tried checking the compatibility database (http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus), but Chain of Memories is not listed at all; which means Sony hasn't updated it to reflect any of the more recent titles. KH1 and 2 are listed to work just fine though. You'll have to wait and see if anyone here has actually played Chain of Memories on a PS3. As for the memory card question, presuming it's playable on your PS3 you don't need to buy a memory card. You can create "virtual" PS2 memory cards on the PS3 hard drive so you can save your games. Take a look at "Memory Card Utility" under the games section of the XMB.

That website is great I just checked it out, it even tells you were you might have graphical issues with certain game and the patches that latter fixed them I'll keep this in my favorites I am gonna have to start looking back at some other oldschool franchises

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 abdelmessih101
[QUOTE="jt4mtb"]

[QUOTE="Mosannam9696"]No im pretty sure all the new PS3's have no backwards compatibility at all.cronew1

That website is great I just checked it out, it even tells you were you might have graphical issues with certain game and the patches that latter fixed them I'll keep this in my favorites I am gonna have to start looking back at some other oldschool franchises

Yes it is great - it's been up since they discontinued the 60GB and came out with the original 80GB.