Just got a Disk Read Error on my PS3....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rt23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rt23
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts
damn i'm really pissed right now and i just had it for 4 months. anyways so does this mean that it wont really work no more? so is my last resort is to call sony or theres another way to fix it? id appreciate the reply guys.
is82sealab2021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 is82sealab2021
Member since 2005 • 360 Posts
hmm...no idea, sry :(
H8s2spooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 H8s2spooge
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts
Never heard of a DRE on a ps3... what happened?
Rixom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rixom
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
i have no idea i didnt think they got them
Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
is there even such a thing on the ps3? hmmmmmmm
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JCblueside
Member since 2005 • 14529 Posts

Did you move your PS3 with either a Blu Ray Disk, DVD, or CD still inside?

Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts

JCblueside

this is not a 360 :)

JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JCblueside
[QUOTE="JCblueside"]

Crazy87

:lol: LOL no, seriously the PS3 utilize a lense too to read disks you know, if you leave a disk inside and then move you PS3 the vibrations & movement might damage the lense because it is in contact with the disk. This is clearly stated somewhere in the PS3's manual.

Athonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Athonline
Member since 2005 • 530 Posts
[QUOTE="JCblueside"]

Crazy87

Roflmao, well said!(360 broke 3-4 cds of mine, before it broke itself!).

Maybe your disc is rly dirty? or is it a new one? if so maybe problem on manufacture maybe.

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

damn i'm really pissed right now and i just had it for 4 months. anyways so does this mean that it wont really work no more? so is my last resort is to call sony or theres another way to fix it? id appreciate the reply guys.rt23

The best chance of solving this problem is to call SONY and tell them this malfunction.Just make sure to Pretend you know nothing about it except it doesn't read the disk.

The PS3 is a very solid machine. 99 out of 100 PS3 owners have no issue with their purchase. So sometime it's really difficult for the PS3 community to help you out. Cuz WE REALLY HAVE NO CLUE.

dholmes19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 dholmes19
Member since 2006 • 1805 Posts

is it one disc in particular or every disc you play?

jasonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jasonen
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
this guy is a fake. it's been 2 hours and no response. if it was that serious he would of said something. another fanboy. lock this thread.
immikeulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 immikeulate
Member since 2004 • 350 Posts

this guy is a fake. it's been 2 hours and no response. if it was that serious he would of said something. another fanboy. lock this thread.jasonen

QFT!

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

this guy is a fake. it's been 2 hours and no response. if it was that serious he would of said something. another fanboy. lock this thread.jasonen
Might be true or not. Anyways let's try to help.

Have you tried more than one disc? Try anything. BR, DVD, CD, PS2 games, PS3 game! If it says DRE in all...call Sony. Just pretend to be a little dumb so you have more chances to get another.

robbie80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 robbie80
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts
damn i'm really pissed right now and i just had it for 4 months. anyways so does this mean that it wont really work no more? so is my last resort is to call sony or theres another way to fix it? id appreciate the reply guys.rt23
My friend ps3 hard drive got wipe and he has to start all his ps3 game from the start and he doesnt know how it happen
Game-o_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Game-o_O
Member since 2005 • 2275 Posts

I screned his profile and he's rate a few PS3 games. Not bad scores either so meh, he might not be fake. But here's my answer to everyone has any problem reading disc (even on your PS2).

STOP ****ING SMOKING AND CLEAN YOU HOUSE.

Thank you,

Jeremy

oblique465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 oblique465
Member since 2005 • 113 Posts

ive had nothin but problems since i got mine....

i cant seem to figure out why i get lines moving through my screen and everything ive tried has failed

then the ethernet port went out on me and i got it exchanged and i still get the lines

so its probably some type of interference but i have no idea how to get rid of them and ive made several posts asking people what to do, called sony about it, no one knows anything

ive tried that suggestion to use a two prong adapter it didnt work, i have tried different HDMI cables and am currently using a monster but i still get them, the TV is SONY by the way

pretty disapointing

JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JCblueside

I would not conclude that far if I were you. Maybe the guywent somewhere else, busy, at school, or at work.

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lhbchen
Lines? what kind of TV are you using? Model?
Game-o_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Game-o_O
Member since 2005 • 2275 Posts
Did you happen to give your tv model to the Sony guys on the phone? Maybe they could of helped you out.
oblique465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 oblique465
Member since 2005 • 113 Posts
SONY 34 inch WEGA widescreen HDTV (tube type) its my dads old HDTV he got it awhile back when HD was pretty new
lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lhbchen
Call SONY and ask if it's compatible. Cuz some early model of HDTVs (all sorts of brand), especially the tube ones have trouble keeping up.
rt23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rt23
just woke up guys. so yeah it happened last night. probably around 3 am. i was trying to boot madden it worked fine but when it came to the start screen, a message popped out saying disc read error. i tried restarting it and tried again but didnt work. and no i didnt move it while i was booting the disc, never, i aint that dumb and i do read the manual. it just happened. i might just call sony on this one. oh and yeah i tried different discs already. dvd-cd-some ps2 and ps3 games but still didnt work.
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JCblueside

just woke up guys. so yeah it happened last night. probably around 3 am. i was trying to boot madden it worked fine but when it came to the start screen, a message popped out saying disc read error. i tried restarting it and tried again but didnt work. and no i didnt move it while i was booting the disc, never, i aint that dumb and i do read the manual. it just happened. i might just call sony on this one. oh and yeah i tried different discs already. dvd-cd-some ps2 and ps3 games but still didnt work.rt23

Yeah its better to call Sony then. By the way, sorry if I offended you or in similar way from my recommendationor question.

rt23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rt23

[QUOTE="rt23"]just woke up guys. so yeah it happened last night. probably around 3 am. i was trying to boot madden it worked fine but when it came to the start screen, a message popped out saying disc read error. i tried restarting it and tried again but didnt work. and no i didnt move it while i was booting the disc, never, i aint that dumb and i do read the manual. it just happened. i might just call sony on this one. oh and yeah i tried different discs already. dvd-cd-some ps2 and ps3 games but still didnt work.JCblueside

Yeah its better to call Sony then. By the way, sorry if I offended you or in similar way from my recommendationor question.

none taken its just really frustrating that it just happened to me. thanks for the help tho . ill just call sony.

JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JCblueside

How does a Television or HDTV affect or even cause a Disk Read Error? Televisions or HDTVs is an output of systems like PS3 not an input. The PS3 sends digital signals for display to a particular tv or monitor andno forms of signals are sent back to the PS3.

Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Squall_Griver
Member since 2006 • 3607 Posts
LIES!
sgallag_play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sgallag_play
Member since 2006 • 2007 Posts

What kind of Disc was it.

What was its Condition

And whats the Disc's Age

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
That is exactly what happened to my first PS3 (even madden was the disc), So I highly doubt he is lying, insecure fanboys have so much disrespect. I also posted on this forum to see if anyone else experienced this problem or had a potential solution, instead a bunch of Columbo wannabe defensive fanboys try to solve the case of the forum liar. Yes the PS3 is great hardware with a very low failure rate, but hat doesn't make it impervious to failure. To the OP sorry dude back up your data cause you'll probably need to send in your PS3 for a replacement unit..
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
Thats news to me.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

That is exactly what happened to my first PS3 (even madden was the disc), So I highly doubt he is lying, insecure fanboys have so much disrespect. I also posted on this forum to see if anyone else experienced this problem or had a potential solution, instead a bunch of Columbo wannabe defensive fanboys try to solve the case of the forum liar. Yes the PS3 is great hardware with a very low failure rate, but hat doesn't make it impervious to failure. To the OP sorry dude back up your data cause you'll probably need to send in your PS3 for a replacement unit.. warbmxjohn
Inded. People need to clear their heads! Why would he lie about stuff like that?

Not all of us are 360 fanboys that are trying to rip PS3 name.

You probably got a lemon. Call Sony and tell them what happened.And trade it if it's broken

Good luck ;)

cape2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cape2k7
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
that happen to me!!!! i was playing live 08 online and suddenly it stopped playing and the disc read error showed on the screen!!!! im upset, very upset.... i can not play dvd, games, cd...etc. i called sony of course they dont know nothing about it, they said that i have to send my unit to be checked. at first they mention something about $150 to fix it!!! and i was like no way!!! they finally said "just send it" mine is a first launched unit. it must be a blu ray lens problem. i will keep up with anything that happen thru the process and YES THERE IS A PROBLEM GOING ON and it is just starting. I love my PS3. I hope everything goes OK.
biosciguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 biosciguy
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts

I screned his profile and he's rate a few PS3 games. Not bad scores either so meh, he might not be fake. But here's my answer to everyone has any problem reading disc (even on your PS2).

STOP ****ING SMOKING AND CLEAN YOU HOUSE.

Thank you,

Jeremy

Game-o_O

WORD! ... this reminds of those horrible disks NETFLIX send me. I can only imagine what some ppl do to them, 'cause when I get them it looks like some primordal slime got nuked onto them. :)
rt23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rt23
so are you guys saying its dust thats causing the disk read error on the ps3? i admit tho that sometimes it gets kinda dusty in my room but i always clean it when i see it. i also got to add that i have a cover for my ps3, those little hospital cover thingies but i only use it sometimes when i notice it and besided my ps3 doesnt get mad dusty.
freak4ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freak4ford
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I purchased a 60 GB unit in December 2006. I recently had the same problem with my unit. No matter what I did the hard drive read error message remained. Thanks goodness for the extended warranty I purchased. This is a fairly common problem. I researched it and found out a lot of pople are experiencing the same problem. Sony is aware of this and no recall to date has been issued.
aaron1_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aaron1_2
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
go in your bathroom get a double piece of toilet roll wrap it round a ps3 disk and pu t it in your ps3 make sure t he bit of bog roll is not full in keep hold of a little bit but wait till disk is in properly then clik eject disk give the disk a hand back out bye gently pulling the bit o f bog roll not to hard dont rip it then put the disk in and bobs ure uncle buzzin agen tried evrythin didnt wont to brake warrenty seal so try the best method eva works on 360s to but you just put the bog roll in the disk holder no need to wrap round disk
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
so are you guys saying its dust thats causing the disk read error on the ps3? i admit tho that sometimes it gets kinda dusty in my room but i always clean it when i see it. i also got to add that i have a cover for my ps3, those little hospital cover thingies but i only use it sometimes when i notice it and besided my ps3 doesnt get mad dusty.rt23
unless your house is SUPER dusty ect then its unlikly the problem. the disk drive is a sealed drive and you almost have to try and get dust in it for it to be a problem. as long as like i say its not some kind of bazzar dust house you live in its not a real issue.just try to keep it as clean as you can and be sure the disk them selves are always clean. the whole "your house MUST be dusty or you MUST not be taking care of your stuff " is a often silly comment by kids who cant except that there console of choice is not perfect and feel that if they have not had a problem then problems must not happen unless some one makes them happen. Iv had 3 ps3's go bad do to disk drive failure "did not get a disk error msg though. one went bad in like 3 months, hardly enough time for dust to build up in side the system. yet for some reason both my dvd player,stand alone BR player and all 3 of my disk drives in my PC keep right on working. and my PC is 6 years old no less as well as my dvd player being 4 years old. but when i made a post about my ps3 woes i was bombarded by kids squeilng about how i must not be taking care of my ps3 and i must live in some kind of dust field lol. Just brush off those kind of comments.Unless of course you don live in a house made of dust lol :p. the problem i think is the corp thats makeing the br players for sony have a poor quality control and or make the br player as cheap as they can. like i said my dvd player,br stand alone and pc has had zero troubles and they get less care than my ps3. But to awnser your qustion you might want to try a br disk cleaner. you can find them at most retail stores that sell consoles,dvd players ect. there about 20 to 40$ usa. but again most likely its a hardware failuer and you'll need to get it fixed or replaced.