Just bought a PS3 and have a couple of questions...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anti_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 anti_hero
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts

I just bought a PS3 today with Resistance. I was wondering about headsets for the PS3. Is there a specific Sony headset or are there only third party ones? Is the headset wireless? I havent seen any PS3 headsets at EB Games so I was wondering where I could get one. Does the PS2 USB headset work with the PS3? Also, is there many people that use headsets online? I was also wondering if the PS3 was capable of any Windows Media Connect type programs like the XBOX 360.

navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts

I just bought a PS3 today with Resistance. I was wondering about headsets for the PS3. Is there a specific Sony headset or are there only third party ones? Is the headset wireless? I havent seen any PS3 headsets at EB Games so I was wondering where I could get one. Does the PS2 USB headset work with the PS3? Also, is there many people that use headsets online? I was also wondering if the PS3 was capable of any Windows Media Connect type programs like the XBOX 360.

anti_hero
1.There is no specific headset out by sony as of NOW...mostly 3rd party 2.You can get one at any electronic store that also sells phones and accessories 3.I think that the usb does work with the ps3 but i believe only on certain games, such as socom bluetooth wont work on that game 4.I myself do use a headset, but i dont own RFOM. So i cant say, i usually use it for chat. 5.Yes you can install another OS system into your ps3 thats why it gives you the option for that.. Hope i helped you out, ask for more if i didnt explain well....
anti_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 anti_hero
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts
Thanks, that helps. I'll try using my PS2 headset and I guess I'll buy a bluetooth headset eventually.
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
Thanks, that helps. I'll try using my PS2 headset and I guess I'll buy a bluetooth headset eventually.anti_hero
Alright good luck with it..
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts

anti_hero
-Any Bluetooth 2.0 headset will be fine (there are a few that wont but if you still to the big brand names like Motorola and Jabra you should be ok.) -There isnt not likely to be an official Sony headset as there's nothing they can do that one of the other companies I just mentioned havent been doing already and doing better. A sony made headset would just be a waste of money for sony, either that or they'd just grab a stock one from motorola and lable it an official headset and you;d probably just pay 20 dollars more for it because of this. Just buy what's out now. -Yes a USB hedset will work with the PS3. Bluetooth may not however work for PS2 games. -There are lots of people, it's not yet wide spread but there are a lot. -The only applications for media are built into the firmware unless you install linux and decide to use their applications. There is no native conectivity with windows media files.
walton13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 walton13
Member since 2005 • 2171 Posts
i recommend getting the plantronics explorer 320, you can get it for 30 bucks shipped on ebay, i paired it up in less than a minute and never looked back, and it gets about 8 hours of talk time before recharge is needed
Wintry_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wintry_Dreams
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I was also wondering if the PS3 was capable of any Windows Media Connect type programs like the XBOX 360.

anti_hero

I think he meant whether there are any programs allowing you to stream media from your computer's hard drive straight to your PS3, such as existing music and video files.
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
You can connect a USB harddrive to play supported music and video files just as you would a SD card or Memory stick.
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts
You can connect a USB harddrive to play supported music and video files just as you would a SD card or Memory stick.Alpha2
Sweet, didn't know that. Too bad there's no Divx codec for PS3.
knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts
[QUOTE="Alpha2"]You can connect a USB harddrive to play supported music and video files just as you would a SD card or Memory stick.pimperjones

Yeah too bad there's no Divx codec for PS3...BUT THAT'S WHAT FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE FOR!!!!
RaNaBiR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RaNaBiR
Member since 2005 • 431 Posts
Remember to hold down L3(or was it R3) to use voice chat.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="pimperjones"][QUOTE="Alpha2"]You can connect a USB harddrive to play supported music and video files just as you would a SD card or Memory stick.knicknut17

Yeah too bad there's no Divx codec for PS3...BUT THAT'S WHAT FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE FOR!!!!

Unlikely... DivX is the format of choice for video piracy, and Sony doesn't want to deal with the headaches associated with endorsing it. It would be nice, but don't hold your breath.
Jordanaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jordanaire
Member since 2005 • 650 Posts

Congrats on your newly purchase, the PS3 is such a sweet console... BIG UPS to Sony!!!

And yes, I own both a PS3 (60gb) and Xbox 360 (no fanboyism here!)