Jean Darc story on PSP... The border between myth and history

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by flover2006 (25 posts) -
I had the chance to play the long awaited title Jean Darc on PSP but despite being a masterpiece technically I wonder why they did not tell the true historical story of Jean Darc? Do you think there is a balance between facts and fables in this new story of such an important heroine? I don't think so. I simply think they should act more responsibly when they were talking about a saint but it`s a game after all and some people think the games are just for fun... what do u think? have your say.
#2 Posted by AlexandriaZ (25107 posts) -

I am a Historian, but even I will admit that when it comes to creating a game that appeals to the masses and keeping it close to the geniune article would be boring to most people.

The real Jeanne D'arc never got magical bracelets and never transformed into a super soldier after 3 turns, but it makes for interesting gameplay.

#3 Posted by flover2006 (25 posts) -
Yes you are right but what about adding demons and other races than humans like thrions and elves??? it's definitely ridiculous but anyway you've got a point in your opinion and i respect it but don't you think they could do a better job than playing with some of the most honorable historic persons?
#4 Posted by AlexandriaZ (25107 posts) -

Yes you are right but what about adding demons and other races than humans like thrions and elves??? it's definitely ridiculous but anyway you've got a point in your opinion and i respect it but don't you think they could do a better job than playing with some of the most honorable historic persons?flover2006

Of course they could.

Hell, I would have preferred if they didn't used St. Jeanne D'arc just because it is way to distracting for a historian to take the storyline seriously. It would have been far better if they had a female protagonist and just used the story they had without ties to historical figurues like Charles, Edward, and Jeanne D'arc.

It is even worse because Japanese Developers typically don't strive for accuracy and add absurd fantasy elements which makes it even more unbelieveable.

Aside from my complaints about the total abuse of the source material, it is still a good game. One that I find hard to stomach just because of the blatant abuse of history.

#5 Posted by flover2006 (25 posts) -
Of course it is and you can read my review of the game too. In my opinion it is the best created RPG on PSP to date. I am still in middle of the game and I do not know yet how they want to end the story but with the apparent death of Jeane, Lianne toke the role and you should consider training this character again which is painful in sometimes. In addition the story is too fanatic it shows French people the ultimate good and English ones the ultimate evil but they both had their reasons. Another point is that the game does not respect the Catholic beliefs about the Joan of Arc in total. I am a Muslim but I know there are many catholics out there which consider her a saint and her revelation to be from Jesus Christ himself but the game tries to show that her ability (which comes from the wearing of the mentioned armlet) is not unique to her but to group of other chosen people which one of them (Duke of Bedford) is the antagonist. Any way the game still is a masterpiece and a must have for all PSP owners and thats the cause we are talking about one of its aspects so seriously which show that the developers are successful in getting the attention of gaming community.:)
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889
#6 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
Anyone who expects to get solid history out of a videgame, most especially a JRPG, is going to have bigger problems than misapprehensions about Joan of Arc
#7 Posted by B-bad (5705 posts) -
Anyone who expects to get solid history out of a videgame, most especially a JRPG, is going to have bigger problems than misapprehensions about Joan of Arcxaos
well said it's a game enjoy it for way it is. It's one of the best games on the PSP.
#8 Posted by gamenux (5308 posts) -

I had the chance to play the long awaited title Jean Darc on PSP but despite being a masterpiece technically I wonder why they did not tell the true historical story of Jean Darc? Do you think there is a balance between facts and fables in this new story of such an important heroine? I don't think so. I simply think they should act more responsibly when they were talking about a saint but it`s a game after all and some people think the games are just for fun... what do u think? have your say.flover2006

If you are striving for accuracy in an RPG game, there is just so much you can do.And accurately speaking, there is no LOAD and SAVE option in life. So a Role-Playing Game is just what it is. You are playing a role. The rest is there to provide a storyline and some cool effects.

#9 Posted by ckyvick (58 posts) -

valkyrie profile was like that, and im pretty shure japanese arent going to a great extent to correct their european history, especially thoes Fing FRENCHIES

#10 Posted by AlexandriaZ (25107 posts) -

valkyrie profile was like that, and im pretty shure japanese arent going to a great extent to correct their european history, especially thoes Fing FRENCHIES

ckyvick

Valkyrie Profile is based off Norse Mythology, which has different implications in contrast to using a historical figure.

If I played an RPG based on World War 2 do you think that people would care if they turned the Germans into people that controlled zombies and evil spirits, Hiter was a guy who was actually controlled by 3 of the great mages of the world, and The Americans band with elfs and sprit mediums to defeat the germans.

There would be a lot of irritated people, that is for sure.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889
#11 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
[QUOTE="ckyvick"]

AlexandriaZ

Valkyrie Profile is based off Norse Mythology, which has different implications in contrast to using a historical figure.

If I played an RPG based on World War 2 do you think that people would care if they turned the Germans into people that controlled zombies and evil spirits, Hiter was a guy who was actually controlled by 3 of the great mages of the world, and The Americans band with elfs and sprit mediums to defeat the germans.

There would be a lot of irritated people, that is for sure.

Like how Persona 2, Wolfenstein 3D, and Bionic Commando used Hitler
#12 Posted by flover2006 (25 posts) -
So I see a split in the ideas between the 2 groups but about what I expect from an RPG I must say that I expect solid gameplay elements forged into a compelling story rather than ultimate graphics capabilities of course and I thought Joan of Arc is a title I wanted but after waiting so long I see repetitive gameplay ( An exact copy from FF tactics even in character design, same dark wizards and priests) and a 100 % myth and unbelivable story from a historic event and unfortunataly one of the most important events in mediaval europe history and of course an ultimate graphic and presentation experience of course. So the game is 1/3 of my ideal about RPGs but luckily for us (gamers) and them (developers) the super positive impact of their graphical work more like an artwork book rather than a game with its colorful and fun envirionment help them a lot and earned the game the title of BEST RPG who ever ceated for the PSP out of question but in my opinion it is the best cartoon more than the best RPG.
#13 Posted by kakashi_AnBu (1072 posts) -
Hm... i rather liked the fantasy elements. Its a bit odd explaining why there are demons and lion people in a game based on Jeanne d'Arc game, but its still interesting. Plus, the game would only be half as long if it used the true story. Plus, it gives the game a bit more room to mess around and add elements to the game. Also, i guess it can also be something of a pleasant (or unpleasant, depends on how you look at it) when something different than how it is supposed to be happens.
#14 Posted by ootp2003 (1828 posts) -

[QUOTE="xaos"]Anyone who expects to get solid history out of a videgame, most especially a JRPG, is going to have bigger problems than misapprehensions about Joan of ArcB-bad
well said it's a game enjoy it for way it is. It's one of the best games on the PSP.

I agree also, just have fun with it. 8)

#15 Posted by flover2006 (25 posts) -
Correct me if I am wrong but if you just erase the name of Joan of Arc from the game title and give it to someone to play the game would any one be able to tell if this game has anything to do with Joan of Arc? It seems that many people here in gamespot mis-understand my point in this matter so let me explain myself. I wanted to say that this game would be a near perfect RPG if they call it any other name than Joan of Arc for example " a very good looking FF tactics with lots of cut scenes" yeah that would be a great name and any other name would be good for this title anything but Jeanne DArc. Anyway I still appreciate your opinions you may not notice but these ideas worth a million for me.