This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lorenzojr78 (189 posts) -
how do you get rid of the jaggies...I'm playing bully from the ps2 on the ps3 and it looks all jaggy/ blocky?? I updated it to the newest update but maybe theres something i need to do... any help.. thanks. 
Sorry if I misspelled jaggy...
#2 Posted by chatri10 (752 posts) -
Are you playing it on HDTV? You can't get rid of the jaggies. I hate it too. The jaggies will always be there unless you play it on SD TV. All we can hope is that SONY come out with a new update that have scaling or some kind of anti-alias to soften the jaggies.
#3 Posted by ZeLeam (726 posts) -
how do you get rid of the jaggies...I'm playing bully from the ps2 on the ps3 and it looks all jaggy/ blocky?? I updated it to the newest update but maybe theres something i need to do... any help.. thanks.
Sorry if I misspelled jaggy...
lorenzojr78
uhm, are you playing in a HDTV? ps2 games arent in HD, so they dont look that good in big hd screens.
#4 Posted by danneswegman (12937 posts) -
the update is all you can do.... what cables are you using?
#5 Posted by ogie_s (218 posts) -

Have you tried playing it on a PS2 to see if the jaggies are inherent to the game or not? PS2 games will never look as smooth as PS3 games because of the hardware limits when they were designed. The anti-aliasing problem that was there before on the PS3 has been fixed with update 1.51 so the jaggies you're seeing are probably exactly how the game is supposed to look.

#6 Posted by ajefferism (2006 posts) -
If you want to get rid of the jaggies, play it in 4:3 mode on your tv but you will have black bars on the left and right.   The jaggies are there because the PS2/PS3 takes a 480i signal (which is 4:3 ratio) and stretches it to fit a 16:9 screen.  This creates vertical aliasing issues.  This is not a PS3 issue, the PS2 did this as well when I played my games on my HDTV with that.  If you can go to the settings of whatever game your playing and make sure its in standard mode (for 4:3 tvs).  Its a trade off - do you want jaggies or bars on the left/right...
#7 Posted by chatri10 (752 posts) -
There'll be jaggies even on 4:3. It's a little less annoying but the jaggies are still there. 
#8 Posted by lorenzojr78 (189 posts) -
yeah its a 42" vizio the ps3 looks great but damn these ps2 games on the ps3 are giving me a headache... i keep getting dizzy.... when i play it on the ps2 they look fine though... i though they had a update or something... hmmm let me try and put some pictures up tell me what you think if thats normal or am i just exaggerating..
thanks

#9 Posted by JoeyDrey (458 posts) -
Jaggies has nothing to do with the game.  Well actually it does, let me restate that.  Jaggies are the resolution at which the characters as displayed.  In the PS2 games, characters arent as complex as something like Fight Night models.  In other words, the characters in a PS2 game are only made up of hundreds or at most thousands of polygons.  Where as Fight Night models are made up of millions!  So the short answer is that jaggies can't be fixed.  When a developer makes a character for a game, they make two verions, one for cinematics which has millions of polygons so the resolution looks good, and then a low end version that doesnt bog down the game as it plays.  But now with the advent of faster processors like the cell in the PS3, more models that have millions of polygons are going to be used in the actual gameplay.  The problem you are talking about is resolution really, the game can only be displayed at 480p.  So really, with the 1.51 update, the resolution is fixed so their is no pixelation, but ultimately, the hard edges of the PS2 models will always be that way.  Why?  Because thats they way they were originally modeled.    
#10 Posted by danneswegman (12937 posts) -
well, he said they were worse on Ps3 then on PS2.. but yeah, when you upscale a PS2 game, jaggies get more visible
#11 Posted by TimothyB (6564 posts) -
Jaggies has nothing to do with the game. Well actually it does, let me restate that. Jaggies are the resolution at which the characters as displayed. In the PS2 games, characters arent as complex as something like Fight Night models. In other words, the characters in a PS2 game are only made up of hundreds or at most thousands of polygons. Where as Fight Night models are made up of millions! So the short answer is that jaggies can't be fixed. When a developer makes a character for a game, they make two verions, one for cinematics which has millions of polygons so the resolution looks good, and then a low end version that doesnt bog down the game as it plays. But now with the advent of faster processors like the cell in the PS3, more models that have millions of polygons are going to be used in the actual gameplay. The problem you are talking about is resolution really, the game can only be displayed at 480p. So really, with the 1.51 update, the resolution is fixed so their is no pixelation, but ultimately, the hard edges of the PS2 models will always be that way. Why? Because thats they way they were originally modeled. JoeyDrey

Polygon count has nothing to do with jaggies. You can have a character with a million polygons at 480i and still have jaggies along the edge of a character as much as a low poly character. The resolution is what counts, that's why HD resolutions help games so much, and not just about better textures and polygon detail. The lower the resolution, the less pixels there are to draw the silhouette edges of the polygons, so you see blocks and stair stepping. Anti-Aliasing helps blends the blocks between each other and with the colors in the background to make them smoother.

So if any PS2 game was set to render at 720p or 1080p (not upscale but actually render at), plus no changes to textures or polygons, then the jaggies would appear much much smaller. It won't change the fact if a character looks low poly, but the edges of things would be smoother. Depends though on your tv, like how big and how close you sit if you still see them at 720p, but 1080p would really really make them tiny enough to not notice. Then if Anti-Aliasing was used, the jaggies would almost disappear (which is really needed with 720p most the time).
#13 Posted by TimothyB (6564 posts) -
Try using the yellow composite cable that came with the PS3 for PS2 games, that will probably lower the picture quality in a way that can help soften the jaggies. Using HD quality cables like Component or HDMI will just make them sharper than ever. Not like you need the better picture quality for PS2 quality textures.

Only reason I mention this is because when I first got a Wii the jaggies were acceptable with yellow composite. When I finally got my hands on Component for 480p, boy did the jaggies just pop out more because it was much clearer.
#14 Posted by JoeyDrey (458 posts) -
[QUOTE="JoeyDrey"]Jaggies has nothing to do with the game. Well actually it does, let me restate that. Jaggies are the resolution at which the characters as displayed. In the PS2 games, characters arent as complex as something like Fight Night models. In other words, the characters in a PS2 game are only made up of hundreds or at most thousands of polygons. Where as Fight Night models are made up of millions! So the short answer is that jaggies can't be fixed. When a developer makes a character for a game, they make two verions, one for cinematics which has millions of polygons so the resolution looks good, and then a low end version that doesnt bog down the game as it plays. But now with the advent of faster processors like the cell in the PS3, more models that have millions of polygons are going to be used in the actual gameplay. The problem you are talking about is resolution really, the game can only be displayed at 480p. So really, with the 1.51 update, the resolution is fixed so their is no pixelation, but ultimately, the hard edges of the PS2 models will always be that way. Why? Because thats they way they were originally modeled. TimothyB

Polygon count has nothing to do with jaggies. You can have a character with a million polygons at 480i and still have jaggies along the edge of a character as much as a low poly character. The resolution is what counts, that's why HD resolutions help games so much, and not just about better textures and polygon detail. The lower the resolution, the less pixels there are to draw the silhouette edges of the polygons, so you see blocks and stair stepping. Anti-Aliasing helps blends the blocks between each other and with the colors in the background to make them smoother.

So if any PS2 game was set to render at 720p or 1080p (not upscale but actually render at), plus no changes to textures or polygons, then the jaggies would appear much much smaller. It won't change the fact if a character looks low poly, but the edges of things would be smoother. Depends though on your tv, like how big and how close you sit if you still see them at 720p, but 1080p would really really make them tiny enough to not notice. Then if Anti-Aliasing was used, the jaggies would almost disappear (which is really needed with 720p most the time).

Thats correct, but my thought is that even in Fight Night you still get jaggies, Im not saying that they arent their, just less apparent.  The thing is, forbidden>
#15 Posted by JoeyDrey (458 posts) -
whoops
#16 Posted by CornellAdamO (212 posts) -
The best way to fix it is to sit further away from the tv.