Is wired connection better than wireless connection

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

Hello,

Just wondering, but is wired connection (both for the internet and for the controller) more stable? I remember there was a thread earlier on wihch stated that the slim would not detectcertainangleswhenrotating the knobs (sorry, I dunno what the technical term of it is) of the Dualshock3 :P

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
wired or wireless it wont affect your controller
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Yep, unless you screwed around with your internet router settings, a wired connection will almost always be more stable and stronger than a wireless connection. However, it rarely matters when you're in an online game since at that point, it's mostly up to the developers to make sure that all players have equal speeds and performances via a good netcode. As for the controller, it almost certainly never matters. The only performance difference is the fact that it'll take a shorter time for your controller to sync with your PS3 when you hook up the controller to a USB cable, but besides that, you should feel no difference. I'm fairly certain (but don't quote me on this) that even when hooked up with a USB cable, the controller will still utilize a Blue Tooth connection - the same kind of connection you use wirelessly. Either way, wireless will work fine for both situations. I mean, Sony wouldn't have pushed out the feature if it was vastly inferior to wired connections, right?
wraithbladeuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 wraithbladeuk
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

Above poster is correct. Wired internet connections are always superior at the current time due to the way wireless works, but it doesn't generally matter as Ps3 online games (as with most online games) try to optimise the game to a set speed for everyone. If you're experiencing any lag or slowdown online though, a wireless connection can't hurt.

As for the controller, it makes absolutly no difference. the actual change in response time due to the technology used is probably only measurable in microseconds, so not really worth restricting yourself to a wired controller.

GamingKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GamingKidX
Member since 2010 • 329 Posts

Hello,

Just wondering, but is wired connection (both for the internet and for the controller) more stable? I remember there was a thread earlier on wihch stated that the slim would not detectcertainangleswhenrotating the knobs (sorry, I dunno what the technical term of it is) of the Dualshock3 :P

bobbleheadrogue

Have YOU experienced any problems when rotating the knobs? If not then why worry o_o

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
For for internet, wireless is slower and less stable. But ive never had a problem using it for gaming in my PS3/Wii. I use wireless controllers, and the only complaint about them is the batteries.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
A wired internet connection is always better than a wireless (although if the network is set-up correctly then this really doesn't matter). As for the controllers there is no difference in wireless or wired when it comes to Blu-Tooth. The controllers wireless connection is just as good as any wired controller. I like the fact that even playing PS2 games on my 60 gig system the wireless controller works just as good or sometimes better than the old Duel Shock that was used on the PS2.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3104 Posts

I havea wireless set up, and I don't get game lag or dropped connections, and even the internet browser is pretty adequate. Although wired connections are superior in terms of stability, wireless connections are very good also. I've got a netgear RangeMax, and it's a great router.