Is "Watch Dogs" as good as "Grand Theft Auto 5"?

• 59 results
Avatar image for fred_flatulence
Fred_Flatulence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Fred_Flatulence
Member since 2014 • 65 Posts

I haven't played WD yet, so I wouldn't know.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I've played both, and you can't compare them really. Both are open world and in modern times, but that's about it. With Watch Dogs you rely more on the enviroment and the aiming is different. Online is also different. Watch Dogs doesn't have the kind of options GTA has. Now don't get me wrong on this. Watch Dogs has different modes. It has more modes that are more cyber and alternative reality stuff. While GTA has the regular stuff like races, horde mode, etc in both single and multiplayer. All i can say is they're different. Look at the reviews and make a decision. To me so far it's around a 8.5 or a little more for Watch Dogs.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

No

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

Overall I think GTA is probably better... but I think I enjoyed the SP missions in WD more.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: the single player is way better in gta 5 and the game is way more polished. I do think watchdog online is better because the first month of gta 5 was unplayable. It made my decision easy to sale gta,5 and my ps3 since after 50 plus hrs single player the servers constantly crashed online for at least a month on gta5. I was saving up for ps4 anyway and figured gta5 would get a facelift for next gen and I was right. Gta heist were fantastic on single player.

lacmicmcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lacmicmcd
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

It's give or take between the 2. What one has the other doesn't, what one executes the other doesn't so much. Driving to me was better in GTA V, though once you gain XP and can unlock skills in Watch_Dogs, driving becomes almost the same. I wish you could customize and store cars in Watch_Dogs, that was fun to do in GTA V. Police chases will have to go to GTA V, I mean.. I purposely started them because they were so fun. Don't get me wrong, they are in Watch_Dogs too, but GTA V is executed more. The story line of Watch_Dogs was more straightforward to me than GTA V, I actually connected the dots and remember the story and there's tons to do once you beat Watch_Dogs.. Where as in GTA V I kind of got lost for a moment, then I got confused at the end on what exactly Franklin was there for.. other than help and to be helped, but could have been a minor character with a focus more on Michael and Trevor. And other than online and exploring the world, there's only few things left over to do, but the fun of online definitely distracts you from this. The online in both games are fun, but what would appeal to you? Randomly having a bounty on your head due to stealing a car, and then having every player on the map after you? Hosting a party with your crew to show off your car? Having an actual customized character for online? OR disguising and hiding yourself while you hack a players phone and hoping they don't find you (which sometimes can be super intense) or following them around while you download all their data?

Honestly, I said I was not going to rebuy GTA V again for PS4, but I would LOVE to have both open world games in my arsenal simply because they're both executed well in their own ways, and both are different enough from each other to make you want to switch between the both of them. But I do believe, Watch_Dogs and GTAV is just too hard to call which is better. If Watch_Dogs was a little more executed and added some of the features from the GTA series, we'd be in business.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

both are equally good games...

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ewalthour

Watch dog kill this argument with inconsistent

Graphics and sometimes bad execution and a weaker story. Franklin was a cool character because out of all the other characters building his clothes line and house and bank acct was more satisfying since he didn't come from wealth.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

GTA V is better...much better,

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

@ewalthour: I thought the story of GTA V is totally overrated. It's more fascinating than it is good. There's nothing that stands out in the story compared to Watch Dogs

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

not even close

watch dogs is not even 1/10 of the game gtav is

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ewalthour

@The_Last_Ride: I agree the story wasn't great but the missions in the story were. I think Trevor vial nature hurt the story. What made Trevor interesting wasnt his story but his abilities like helicopter flyer which gel well with his missions.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@ewalthour said:

@The_Last_Ride: I agree the story wasn't great but the missions in the story were. I think Trevor vial nature hurt the story. What made Trevor interesting wasnt his story but his abilities like helicopter flyer which gel well with his missions.

True, but Heists were the only things that stood out to me tbh

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ewalthour

@The_Last_Ride: man the car chases were better, flying plane missions, bike riding, hiking,golf and playing tennis all great. Gun battles were great also. Gta cop battles were better too without demon cops coming at you like WD where it's way to hard to escape them. The only cool thing with watch dog during car chases were using hacking streets and the helicopters.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@ewalthour said:

@The_Last_Ride: man the car chases were better, flying plane missions, bike riding, hiking,golf and playing tennis all great. Gun battles were great also. Gta cop battles were better too without demon cops coming at you like WD where it's way to hard to escape them. The only cool thing with watch dog during car chases were using hacking streets and the helicopters.

It's more dynamic in WD, for good and bad

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i like watch dogs but GTA V its better game for me

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Not in the slightest. GTA IV is even better than Watch Dogs.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I prefer WD I didn't like the missions in GTA V.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

GTAV is the better game but Im enjoying Watch dogs.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sukraj

@marcheegsr said:

when will you be gtting an Xbox One mate?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@sukraj said:

@marcheegsr said:

I dunno man. Probably end of this year. Only game that intrigues me right now that is not on ps4 is Forza horizon 2 and sunset overdrive.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 975 Posts

GTA San Andreas owns them both. As does Sleeping dogs.

Now those are some great open world games.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I'm not even a big gta fan and i still say it's better. oddly enough, i play games mostly for the story and somehow watchdogs worst content is the story content.... side missions and digital trips and little extras make the game worth playing.

GamerComplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GamerComplex
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@darktruth007: Sleeping Dogs? Meh, not nearly as immersive as GTAV and Watch Dogs and you're limited to just cars and bikes. Very fun game though...

& I'd have to say GTAV just because it was 10x more fun for me.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ewalthour

I must say after all my bitching about watchdog the digital trips are all fun. I still think GTA 5 is more polished and campaign is superior to watchdog single player story. I do think the hacking adds a dimension to the that GTA doesn't have. They are variations i like in both games but GTA overall has more exploration with hiking, gun range, tennis, flying school and car races are really fun. I also think GTA has taken to the ocean with diving and waterski races that watchdog has barely even explored besides going to the light house. Watch dog is a 8/10 to GTA 5 10/10. Watch dog 2 could really be something to reacon with if the story is better with more exciting mission. I think the side missions in watch dog maybe slightly better than GTA.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

short answer is no. when u play gta5 it's just obvious it has more quality feel to it. sleeping dogs>watch dogs as well imo

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sukraj

@marcheegsr said:

@sukraj said:

@marcheegsr said:

I dunno man. Probably end of this year. Only game that intrigues me right now that is not on ps4 is Forza horizon 2 and sunset overdrive.

that's cool

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#30 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

i've haven't played watch dogs yet but it looks really good.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1938 Posts

Hard to compare. I like them both

Ice-Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Ice-Cube
Member since 2003 • 2434 Posts

They are both good at Singleplayer but WD sucks on multiplayer. You cannot play with your friends with random people. You are either locked in to play against strangers or just your friends. Not both. You also can't hack your friends, only strangers.

I don't know how they messed that up but that's what killed my MP WD experience. GTA V outdoes them by ten fold on multiplayer.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@darktruth007 said:

GTA San Andreas owns them both. As does Sleeping dogs.

Now those are some great open world games.

San Andreas plays like crap though. And the pop-in is atrocious, infinitely worse than GTA V

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Watchdogs is unpolished and a pretty shabby job of covering up how bad the graphics are, driving is a mess for a game, when you consider you wanna have some fun, hacking seems great at first until it clicks that your basically pressing 1 button, and to top everything else off, everything from the beginning is right there, there isn't a reason to explore, you look at your map pick where to go and go, everything is unlocked from the beginning.

GTA5 isn't perfect steering way to much towards story than customization for my liking, stock market is a mess and a strange one when your a criminal of the lower part of the ladder, not enough businesses to take over not enough shops to rob, heists should be open to play in free roam and not just part of the story, Money means nothing in the single player game because by the end you have enough to buy near enough everything, and still have plenty left plus nothing seem's worth it, I mean once you finish the game and your only activties to mess about with is yoga and a triathlon, you start to wonder are Rockstars minds actually on a crime driven game anymore or not. except from all these things i'd like to be changed the graphics were superb for the time, the driving is so much fun, the story isn't half bad, the 3 way character selection is a nice idea, and the world is super polished.

so for me GTA5 is the better game but

GTA5 is So much EyeCandy and not enought interaction & WatchDogs is So much Interaction, but bland backgrounds.

NightLord415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NightLord415

Definitely not.

Watch Dogs is repetitive w/ boring side missions and post game content.

Half the game felt like a chore, as well as a very disappointing last "boss"..

The car rides are boring in Watch Dogs, as they take 5 minutes to get from one point to another.

Chicago also feels lifeless and robotic. Also, the cars drive like theyre on frickin' ice!

You feel like you just want each mission to end right after the other.

Watch Dogs is a chore, while GTA is fun and interesting with many things to do!

Avatar image for dominoesbarrett
DominoesBarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DominoesBarrett

Watch Dogs is a really delusion.

It seems to see the same story of Assassin's Creed: beautiful concept but disappointing gameplay.
Also, I hate a open world that was too focused on the secondary quest, especially if these are boring and repetitive.

For me, Watch Dogs is another hole in the water by Ubisoft.

I have abandoned Assassin's Creed at the middle of fourth chapter, Revelations. But I think that Watch Dogs has been my first and last chapter of this new saga.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ewalthour

I agree with all you guys about WD repetitive side missions and the focus on the extras than the main mission. I was the first to slam the game against the wall and still picked it up again after returning it the first time. I haven't played the game for a week and want play for another week to entertain the inlaws. I really don't miss it. I still want to finish it to 100% since I am at 75% and done with main mission. I got it because of the boring summer without AAA games I want. WD was released at the perfect dead time of the summer with all he great games expected for the fall.

Im still interested in unity but I will be very keen on impressions and reviews before buying it. I think ubisoft tend to give repetitive missions and pack the game with content to justify its value but not enhance gameplay. If I will return WD to get some value for it to go toward another game because that's how I do.

The only games I can see keeping forever is phantom pain and uncharted 4 if both have great single player and MP constantly being updated.

ivo_ree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 ivo_ree
Member since 2014 • 121 Posts

GTA 5 is better, Watch Dogs has got more problems than GTA 5 (including annoying driving physics) but it is still a good game.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I really enjoyed GTA V's story, but the setting was dull. I still prefer GTA Vice City. That said, Watch Dogs was worse than GTA V. First off, it simply felt "meh". I forced myself to finish it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sukraj

@Telekill said:

I really enjoyed GTA V's story, but the setting was dull. I still prefer GTA Vice City. That said, Watch Dogs was worse than GTA V. First off, it simply felt "meh". I forced myself to finish it.

me love me some watch dogs 24/7

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

My heart tells me GTA V was better.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

For me, no where near. I do like Watch dogs, but its not GTA5. I am playing Watch dogs to hold me off, till GTA 5 gets released.

JEP_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JEP_100
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

Hello,

I haven't played watchdogs so I wouldn't know, but I do know GTA5 is definitely a good game as far as graphics and gameplay. What do you do in watchdogs that makes it great?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ofcourse ! Its "as good as" GTA V.... Whether either of them are good by normal standards is another question entirely...... Its like comparing two turds.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 watchdogsrules

@fred_flatulence: i think both games look equally good.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 watchdogsrules

@jep_100: you can hack into everything.

Je5usPiece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Je5usPiece
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

I disliked Watch Dogs very much, just not an original game. Can't even compare it to GTA5 in my honest opinion.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Watch dogs is shite, it only sold well due to game drought same as infamous both shite. Gta is in its own league, I'd love rock star to make an elder scrolls type game. And another red dead game the last one is epic

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

no