Is this a bad sign for the PSP's future?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

So yesterday I went out to look for a new game, and since it had been a while, I thought I would look at PSP games. Last time I went (a few months ago) this specific HMV had an entire section for PSP games, alongside the PS3 games. Now, it is just a LONG section of PS3games, with the Xbox 360 ones still on the other side... there were no PSP games to be seen. Is this a bad sign? :(

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#2 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Yeah that does sound bad! Last time i was in there they had a good selection.

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

Same thing happened around here. Sales werent very good and since they announced the NGP, no one is buying PSP's or games for it.

monkeychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 monkeychris
Member since 2003 • 508 Posts

not only that but people would be more likely to get digital copies due to the NGP.

Ghosty1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Ghosty1212
Member since 2006 • 398 Posts

My local gaming store removed most of the UMDs and now only have PSP-3000 systems and PSP-Go systems, which where games used to be, are now cards usable for downloading the games.

Ech064

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ech064
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
My HMV still has a section of PSP games, same size as the DS section. Maybe it's just a local thing?
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
For now it is maybe the stores are just getting ready for The NGP. So look up Amazon they got plenty of psp games.
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
Gamestop has a bunch of used PSP games, and a small stash of new ones squished with the PS2 stuff. Other stores only have maybe 6 and it's all either sports or newer releases (like Kingdom Hearts). It's been gradually shrinking over time and with the NGP coming out, that'll probably kick out the PSP section for good.
Ventara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ventara
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts

Probably is, but at the gamestores I go to, the PSP section has always been small and at the back. It sucks, but it's business I guess. This is also why I pre-order most PSP games, as they'll probably be hard to find later (although there's always online).

Start-N-Play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Start-N-Play
Member since 2011 • 169 Posts
Just shop around you'll find them. There still everywhere in New Jersey at all the stores that sell videogames.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yep this is the final year for PSP. When the NGP is released (November 2011?) Sony has said that its Playstations have a lifespan of 10years. However I don't see this applying to the PSP.

I think that Sony will kill off PSP when the NGP hits stores. I just cannot see the PSP still in release and games being made for it until 2015 (The 10 year mark)

It is in Sony's best interest to focus on the NGP once it is released. The PSP had a good run with 62 million PSP sold, But there is not much of a future for PSP 1.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ashley_wwe

Ohh, so most of you guys are having problems then?

I suppose there's only one good thing to come of this - hopefully online sales for PSP games will go VERY cheap? Also, as PSP has never been my main console (as in every day of every year), and a console (portable) that I always come back to now and then, I am unaware of this NGP. What is it?

I knew I should have taken advantage of those cheapish games a few months back... you could get certain games in a deal of like 2 get 1 free or something, and it was about £15 I believe, there weren't many of those deals though.

I wish stores would make some more space, that way they could have some classics such as PS1 and more PSP's. They would probably sell very well (especially the PS1).

I wonder what stores do with the older games (PS1 and PSP for example) when they become outdated...

GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

NGP is the official successor to the PSP. It's not an update like the 2000 and 3000 models it's the sequel i guess you could call it.

Ventara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ventara
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts

Ohh, so most of you guys are having problems then?

I suppose there's only one good thing to come of this - hopefully online sales for PSP games will go VERY cheap? Also, as PSP has never been my main console (as in every day of every year), and a console (portable) that I always come back to now and then, I am unaware of this NGP. What is it?

I knew I should have taken advantage of those cheapish games a few months back... you could get certain games in a deal of like 2 get 1 free or something, and it was about £15 I believe, there weren't many of those deals though.

I wish stores would make some more space, that way they could have some classics such as PS1 and more PSP's. They would probably sell very well (especially the PS1).

I wonder what stores do with the older games (PS1 and PSP for example) when they become outdated...

Ashley_wwe

I wouldn't say I'm having problems getting my hand on PSP games, but if it's a fairly unknown title, I'll have a hard time coming across it months later since most stores only order 2-4 of them. And wouldn't the online prices go higher if the games are becoming harder to find. I can understand games that are fairly common, but a niche game, like ZHP, would just go up in price.

The NGP (Nintendo Got Pwned) is the PSP2 (it's a temporary name that Sony is using, don't know why they're not just calling it PSP2), with a vague release of before the holiday season of 2011. So far, it looks awesome and is being said to be the PS3 on the go. Dual analogs, HD screen, memory stick format games, a 3G model and a non-3G model (unconfirmed for NA), and killer hardware make it shaping up to be a great successor to the PSP. The only major detail that's still unknown is the price, though it's rumoured around the $300-400 mark.

From my understanding, it's not worth it for stores to keep games older than last gen (so I still expect PSP games to be at most gamestores). As to what they do with them, I've been told that they're all stores send them to a sigle store in the area where they're liquidated (sold for really cheap). Don't know what they do with the ones they don't sell. Recycle?

GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

In my opinion it's future has looked bad for a long time. The PSP section of department stores and gaming stores has looked like the PS2 section on it's 10th birthday for awhile from what i've seen. It's been a profit for Sony no doubt but that's a considerable blow for a system that hasn't even had it's successor on the market yet. In the PSP's defense I will say anyone who never gave it a chance doesn't know what they've missed.

deejaypsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deejaypsp
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

In my opinion it's future has looked bad for a long time. The PSP section of department stores and gaming stores has looked like the PS2 section on it's 10th birthday for awhile from what i've seen. It's been a profit for Sony no doubt but that's a considerable blow for a system that hasn't even had it's successor on the market yet. In the PSP's defense I will say anyone who never gave it a chance doesn't know what they've missed.

GEE_WIZZ
Confirmed and agreed. The best bet for finding deals on a UMD game are to be found not in major retailer, but in the mom and pop shops that cater to the "used" crowd. In my neck of the woods, PSP games can be found for cheap at places that sell movies, cds, and games that go back to the NES and Sega Master System. Check your local phonebook and dig locally for the best deals. Flea markets in your area can also be fantastic. Like GEE_WIZZ said, there's alot of original PSP games that if you haven't ever played, you don't know what you've missed. Take the time and search around, it's worth it :)
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ashley_wwe
Ahh, the NGP sounds interesting :). Is it still UMDs though? I will have to check the GAME store next time I go out... that might have had some last time I checked, although I'm not sure. Perhaps it's now time to save up money and get all the games you always wanted for the PSP guys, before they go sky high if that is the case.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
They used to have a wall of PSP games at my local Gamestop, now it has been reduced to a small stand of games in the back of the store. I now have a PSP Go, so it's not like it matters; sigh...lol I miss buying UMDs.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Stores around here still sell quite a few PSP games.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I don't think it matters if retail stores sell them or not. If someone wants to buy a game they'll find it one way or another.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

It could be considered a bad sign. Guess one should start picking up those PSP games they`ve held out on buying.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
The PSP's store presence has been on a slow decline for awhile. Retailers don't want to stock the games because they often don't sell very well.

not only that but people would be more likely to get digital copies due to the NGP.

monkeychris
I doubt most consumers are even aware of this.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Ahh, the NGP sounds interesting :). Is it still UMDs though?Ashley_wwe
No. Sony has switched to a cartridge like format for the NGP.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

walmart always had a bad selection of psp and ps3 games for some reason , they have more wii 360 ps2 ds games then any thing ,

gamestop here has a good selection of everything except a few gba games thats to be expected though and no xbox since 08 march so ya ,

depends where you shop , with 3ds around the corner this is to be expected stores will have to make room for 3ds and ngp ,

Ewan-Lumsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ewan-Lumsden
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts
Yeah but the PSP is going down in games sales and getting less popular