Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

I have been using PS3 for the past few months, quite oftenly... and PSN there have a lot of titles... on sales... for cheap, literally few €.

The PS3 will stop production in Japan. (Most probably other countries soon)

But my question is.. How long will the PSN last? What will happen to the titles We bought online?
All the digital content? PS4 will never be able to play PS3 titles. (CPU is not compatible)

So, Are they going to be lost forever? Are We going to lose all that?

Are we buying AIR at the moment?

Do I need to download all the games on the very small 320GB HDD? Not even half can fit in there.

Avatar image for harnessthepower
HarnessThePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HarnessThePower
Member since 2017 • 267 Posts

@Matthew-first: If you're talking theoretical power, the PS3 and the Cell still have a ton of power left in the tank. The Cell was never actually fully utilized, so it's fair to say PS3 could survive another 4-5 years, but will Sony continue to support it and PSN? Probably not.

As for your digital games, i'm not sure what will happen, but i'm sure our Sony wouldn't do something like that to you...

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5166 Posts

As far as playing your games online, that will probably end in a few years....

However Sony is really trying to Push media services like PlayStation Vue and Movies On Demand. So you'll probably be able to download/rent movies to watch. Download and play games, and Stream TV for a while longer. Remember there's 80 million ps3s, and if Sony is still seeing a large amount of them online and purchasing content they aren't going to cut off that revenue stream. That's the biggest strength of the ps3, there's 80 million of them out in the wild, but with the ps4 at 50 million and counting, I can see the active ps3 online user base start to shrink.

They did stop PSNow support on ps3 though. So I could be wrong.

Avatar image for harnessthepower
HarnessThePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HarnessThePower
Member since 2017 • 267 Posts

@Star67 said:

As far as playing your games online, that will probably end in a few years....

However Sony is really trying to Push media services like PlayStation Vue and Movies On Demand. So you'll probably be able to download/rent movies to watch. Download and play games, and Stream TV for a while longer. Remember there's 80 million ps3s, and if Sony is still seeing a large amount of them online and purchasing content they aren't going to cut off that revenue stream. That's the biggest strength of the ps3, there's 80 million of them out in the wild, but with the ps4 at 50 million and counting, I can see the active ps3 online user base start to shrink.

They did stop PSNow support on ps3 though. So I could be wrong.

I believe there are actually more like 150 million PS3s worldwide! Perhaps only 80 million here in the US. PS3 was a godsend.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Soon ? With a system that is still in production and has over 100 million units out there to which you can sell a bunch of stuff yet ? Other than shutting down a few servers be ready to have PSN for PS3 at least for another 7 or 8 years.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@harnessthepower: 150 million LOL, only 2 consoles ever have sold that much, the DS and PS2. No console will ever touch those numbers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268966/total-number-of-game-consoles-sold-worldwide-by-console-type/

Talking out of your ass...

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't see why basic online features would be shut down any time soon. There are still plenty of games that are online and the longevity of those games are up to developers and the community. Plus it would be a huge problem if people couldn't download games they've bought for the system, couldn't download patches, and although much less of an issue for most people, sync their trophies online.

But in the very long run? That's a good question. Like I mentioned, it would be messed up if people weren't able to download content they've purchased. I think it would be expose a huge flaw to digital content, especially on consoles. For the time being, however, I don't think it's anything worth worrying about.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Yeah, you're right about major tittle being cheap(Mass Effect Trilogy $5)but as others have said, there are too many PS3's out there and the users still purchase content from the PSN.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

@Matthew-first: Just because they are ending production of new units doesn't mean they are ending support. I see support for the system, and PSN store access, to be around for a few more years at least.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

I love the PS3, (replayed Ninja Gaiden Sigma last week on it once again). But will state how I feel on the subject of PSN on the PlayStation 3; however this is just my opinion-

Online support should be cut to focus on current and future hardware. Sony has been awesome supporting PS3 with PSN for as long as they have, and don't think they owe PS3 owners it any further. It was released in 2006, so if you wanted to play online multiplayer games, or hunt/ upload trophies only available on the PS3? You really had plenty of time to do so. . .

I would recommend if you want those features you invest in a PS4. As Sony just may pull the plug on PS3 anytime in the near future.

PS4 has been out a few years as it is, and if you haven't grabbed it yet? I would question why.

It's not like the Slim is overpriced or anything.

But on a lighter note they may support PSN on PS3 for many more years. What do I know_

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I agree with all of this. I don't think any of us can confidently assert how long support will continue, and it has to be openly seen as a risk. If they are not charging for online, and they are not making money off the hardware any more... the PS3 is damn old at this time. I'm not saying it isn't worth picking one up but it's a gamble.

My guess, based on nothing whatsoever: 2-4 years

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

i dont think they will shutdown the ability to buy and download games from PSN for a long long time if ever. it doesnt cost them a huge amount of money (they are running those servers anyway for other devices and chances are the PS3 side of PSN is just a part of the whole of PSN on the backend). they also want more people buying digitally so they need to ensure that confidence is high. if they pull the rug out from people then it undermines digital distribution.

i mean nintendo still run the wii shop. its probably running on one VM using up a fraction of a servers capacity at nintendo HQ but its still there. sony also still have PSN access for the vita and that only has a fraction of the activity of the PS3 i would say.

as for playing online games....yeah that will be wound down over the next couple of years no doubt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I had this same fear like 3 years ago, and so far as long as I don't uninstall the games I should be fine. But I doubt they'd ever remove a money maker like that. Although since it doesn't share same store as PS4, god knows how long it will last. I paid almost nothing for all my games, I have about 30-40 games digitally, mostly PS1-2 games, with several PS3 games. But yeah, I mostly bought a ton of digital games so I didn't have to use my playstation collection.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Matthew-first said:

I have been using PS3 for the past few months, quite oftenly... and PSN there have a lot of titles... on sales... for cheap, literally few €.

The PS3 will stop production in Japan. (Most probably other countries soon)

But my question is.. How long will the PSN last? What will happen to the titles We bought online?

All the digital content? PS4 will never be able to play PS3 titles. (CPU is not compatible)

So, Are they going to be lost forever? Are We going to lose all that?

Are we buying AIR at the moment?

Do I need to download all the games on the very small 320GB HDD? Not even half can fit in there.

Its a good question. This is why Coolyfett says PlayStation is the best. The internet basically gives the PS3 a longer life than a normal console. Coolyfett still has not switched to the PS4 yet and is still playing the PS3. One can look at like looking at Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. People with WinXP can still access the internet, but there are many current apps that do not function now on XP and MS dropped support for the OS. Sony will eventually drop support for the PS3, but the internet functionality to the PS Store should still remain. PlayStation has a rep for supporting their systems if not blown out by competition like the Vita was.

Coolyfett just got Fight Night Champion and Need for Speed for 2$ a pop. Both of those games were once 60$. Coolyfett has a few games on the watch-list, just waiting on a price drop. How much does a PS3 go for now in retail?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Don't see the PS3 version of PSN being shut down anytime soon.

Its certainly still making money. Probably near the time the PS5 is announced, we should have a better idea when PS3 PSN services will go down. The digital games question is certainly a serious one. But for such support to continue, Sony will have to keep up with security updates. And for aging hardware, that can only be done for so long.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

If you can still access PSN through a PSP then I think it is fine if not then I guess one day or another patch, trophy and PSN will be out and so many games will become useless door stopper.

This is why I haven't bought a game that is only usable online or with tone of patchs/DLC ... the day they kill online support for PS3 ... you can't download the patch and so the game is now awesome won't be as nice for future generation of retro gamer...

The day they will do a huge sell on Vita games on the PSN will take some stuff until my memory card is full and enjoy it while it still fonction.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Oh no, as I still loving my PS3, and I have so many games in my collection, hopefully PSN won't shut down..

RivergirlDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RivergirlDJ
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

I loved my PS3, but I couldn't get my controllers to work (regardless of how many times I tried, and all the tricks on YouTube and online that I read) Plus you can't buy any PS3 controllers new, even the used one I bought had issues. I'm getting rid of it and the games I have.

So I just upgraded to a PS4. (Got a good deal on it from a friend who was moving and needed the cash) Otherwise I wouldn't see myself spending $300 to $400 on it. I also think the games are way too pricey.

However, the majority of the friends I have in the US and worldwide do not own a PS4 simply because of the price, and not being able to play online like you used to for free on PS3. Most of them still use the PS3 but how much longer do you guys think they will keep making games for PS3 and using the PSN?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

I'm still enjoying my PS3 I missed a majority of last gen because I was 360. I do think the end for PS3 PSN is very near if not already.

FlameVeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FlameVeil
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

In an ideal world, the PS3 and 360 would be discontinued & server support taken offline...but the games would all be available on the One/ PS4 & the prices of those more recent consoles would massively reduce to make up for it (Game and Cex could help this by taking the old consoles off people's hands and distributing them somehow away to make profit back).

theforaeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theforaeyes
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

My advice is to enjoy it till it lasts but it's probably not going to be here for a long time anymore. I have a friend that works in a big gaming store with franchises all over Europe and yeah, she tolod me it's just not lucrative to continue with the PS3 games...

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

it's been awhile since i last played my PS3 but i've had mine for 8 years. and i should be able to play it for a long time. now games online that's a different matter. shit my game boy from (1991) that's when i got it anyways STILL works too. as does my SNES last time i played it and it has been awhile with that as well

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

I hope the end doesn't come any time soon, I'm still playing on my PS3 and using online features pretty regularly. I understand that some games are losing support due to servers shutting down (Borderlands, Demon's Souls) but I hope PSN sticks around for more years.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I sure hope not, heck I'm still bummed out from when they pulled the plug on PS Home.

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wildhoney66

see this is why i think digital games should NOT be the way to go in the future. cause here's a good example i dunno if anyone has played Ghostbusters for ps3? not the one from 2 years go but the one from (2009) that's a damn good game by the way. there's a part of the game that you have to complete that you do online but the servers have since closed and have been closed for years. hence for those who want to 100% it they no longer can.. i don't play games online anyways so it's not a big deal to me and i have yet to 100% a game but i have come pretty damn close. reason being is some of the stuff i was unable to get or if some of them are mulit-player shit and that is just something that i don't play.

to each their own who enjoy it though. i prefer single player games anyways

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wildhoney66

yet there are certain games i think that still go to it. kinda like how some games still i think go to the 360 as well.

calvin3464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 calvin3464
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

Will we still be able to download and play our games on PlayStation 3 if they decide to stop supporting it?