Is the PS3 suppose to do this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I'm playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and the PS3 is pretty loud. I dont recall it ever being this loud while playing other games. Even when I stop playing, and eject the disc, it still continues to make the noise. It sounds like the fan is in overdrive. Did I accidently press a button that put the PS3 into overdrive or something? Please help, I'm concerned about it going haywire on me. Thanks in advance.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
That's just the cooling system, move somewhere colder or don't worry about it.
cwagmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 cwagmire
Member since 2003 • 3398 Posts
Dust your PS3. If the fans are getting loud it means the inside is getting warm. This happens if airflow is weak, which is either because your PS3 is in a small enclosed case, or dust is blocking the vents. Use a compressed air duster and clean it out, you'll be fine.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Elann2008

It must be the hot weather here in California because it wasnt doing this on cooler days. I usually play late night when I get home but I took today off and it decided to do this. Even I'm burning up here so why wouldnt my PS3? lol. Poor PS3. I need to go buy an air conditioner or else my gaming days here will be full of nothing but sweat! =(

Thank you for the tips and advice. You guys are great. :)

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

It must be the hot weather here in California because it wasnt doing this on cooler days. I usually play late night when I get home but I took today off and it decided to do this. Even I'm burning up here so why wouldnt my PS3? lol. Poor PS3. I need to go buy an air conditioner or else my gaming days here will be full of nothing but sweat! =(

Elann2008

Just remember, it all comes down to room temperature really. Definitely buy that air conditioner. But also take that vacuum hose and suck out all the dust from the vents.

jojothekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jojothekid
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
yeah weather here in C.A. is getting hot but ps3 was on my entertainment center on the bottom shelf and it made clicks and loud noises but i put it on the upper shelf and its not making any sounds but i think i should move it farther away from the cable box because that thing gets hot
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Flame_Blade88

yeah weather here in C.A. is getting hot but ps3 was on my entertainment center on the bottom shelf and it made clicks and loud noises but i put it on the upper shelf and its not making any sounds but i think i should move it farther away from the cable box because that thing gets hotjojothekid

Yeah, move it away from that cable box, I moved my cable box once I found out how hot it got, even though my PS3 was on the upper shelf above it, I still wasn't going to take any chances.

Avatar image for TImeLord_Master
TImeLord_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TImeLord_Master
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts
Get that AC man. The weather here is just gonna get worse.
jojothekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jojothekid
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts

[QUOTE="jojothekid"]yeah weather here in C.A. is getting hot but ps3 was on my entertainment center on the bottom shelf and it made clicks and loud noises but i put it on the upper shelf and its not making any sounds but i think i should move it farther away from the cable box because that thing gets hotFlame_Blade88

Yeah, move it away from that cable box, I moved my cable box once I found out how hot it got, even though my PS3 was on the upper shelf above it, I still wasn't going to take any chances.

my friend said he put a 360 on the cable box and it gave him the RROD thats scary
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flame_Blade88
[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"]

[QUOTE="jojothekid"]yeah weather here in C.A. is getting hot but ps3 was on my entertainment center on the bottom shelf and it made clicks and loud noises but i put it on the upper shelf and its not making any sounds but i think i should move it farther away from the cable box because that thing gets hotjojothekid

my friend said he put a 360 on the cable box and it gave him the RROD thats scary

Yeah well his cable box must've been pretty hot for that to happen, but even when it's off, well for mine anyway, it always stayed warm or a little hot for some reason. So I guess with that continous heat it finally got to his 360. I'm sure that had to happen for a long time in order for that to happen, it took me about 2 weeks to realize the heat issue before I moved the cable box.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

try to find an air conditioner that doesn't produce lots of humidity, it's bad for electronics.

when the temperature is not too hot, does the fan go down when you're just staying on the XMB or listening music?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Elann2008

try to find an air conditioner that doesn't produce lots of humidity, it's bad for electronics.

when the temperature is not too hot, does the fan go down when you're just staying on the XMB or listening music?

TheTenth10

I didnt wait long enough to see if it would. I turned it off to rest it. Right now, the weather is cooler and my PS3 stopped doing it. So yeah, it was due to the hot weather earlier in the day. Thanks for the tip. I use to have an air conditioner but it didnt last very long so I guess this is a good excuse to buy one again. I went through last summer without an AC and it was torture, lol.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
[QUOTE="TheTenth10"]

Elann2008

I didnt wait long enough to see if it would. I turned it off to rest it. Right now, the weather is cooler and my PS3 stopped doing it. So yeah, it was due to the hot weather earlier in the day. Thanks for the tip. I use to have an air conditioner but it didnt last very long so I guess this is a good excuse to buy one again. I went through last summer without an AC and it was torture, lol.

Here in central Florida it get's hot and the humidity get's very high as well. With this combination it's hard to live without AC. Also as some have said if there is a thin layer of dust inside the console it will insulate the inside and not allow the heat to escape the system. Another thing is find a place that allows plenty of room for air to flow through the system helps a lot. I have found that by having my system standing vertical it doesn't hold the extra heat under the domed area.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

I'm in Arizona and it gets hot here too, I removed the back of my entertainment center so the PS3 can breathe easier as well.

But I agree with everyone else here, what is up with those cable boxes man they get hot.

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts

Elann2008

I have this same issue and it's because the weather here is freakin' hot! I just put a small fan nex to me PS3 even though I don't have any type of blockage around it.

pillage05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pillage05
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts
Yes, that would be the overdrive button. Which is right next to the "transform" button that turns your ps3 into a small Metal Gear.
Avatar image for squirrelgrrrl84
squirrelgrrrl84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 squirrelgrrrl84
Member since 2004 • 298 Posts

TheTenth10
air conditioners are, by their very nature, de-humidifiers.