Is sony planing on getting rid of UMDs all together? and psp go question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts

I have this concern both with PSP and PS3 because I have a ton of UMDs plus I love hard copy kinda stuff. I like physical proof of my purchase. I am interested about the psp go is it a bad move or should I just stay with what I have?

Avatar image for christ4ever9889
christ4ever9889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 christ4ever9889
Member since 2007 • 1349 Posts

I doubt they'll ever get rid of UMD's. Sony probably realises that not everyone has access to an internet connection to download games, therefore they'll make more money by selling UMD's

EDIT: I don't have a PSP or PSP go so I can't answer your "should I get a go" question, sorry.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
There's really nothing keeping you from buying PSN games for the older PSP. You can even buy all the ones you already own on UMD, now; if you want. Not that I would...
Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts

Sony has said they expect PSP-3000 to continue to be the bulk of their PSP business, which suggests UMDs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
I would stay away from the go, the lack of a UMD drive really sucks if you ask me.
strategyking92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 18

#6 strategyking92
Member since 2006 • 1115 Posts

stay with what you have. The psp go is too expensive, in my opinion, fugly, and there's the whole UMD thing.

I will have to disagree with everyone about the PSP not working without UMD's. If the PSP2 used only digital distribution, I think it could work, since it has worked out so well for the iPod Touch. The PSP2 would, of course, have higher standards I hope. The app store is kind of broken since it doesn't divide apps by quality.

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

No they wont get rid of them: http://psp.ign.com/articles/107/1079702p2.html

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I doubt they'd get rid of them. HOWEVER, if Sony is smart (and I do question whether they are), they will make the PSP2 backwards compatible. I don't think they'd put a UMD drive on a new PSP, as it's basically a failed format., so if it has BC, it'll likely be only with the digital versions.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I highly doubt that they'll get rid of UMDs.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#10 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I doubt anyone is going to abandon hard copies soon. Perhaps in a year or 10-20, but that's speculation at best. Also, I wouldn't get a PSP Go, it's not worth it.
CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CommanderTy

I would stay away from the go, the lack of a UMD drive really sucks if you ask me.paradigm68

Thats how I feel I was like man, what about all my UMDs that I have I hope they dont plan on taken this further.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
[QUOTE="strategyking92"]

stay with what you have. The psp go is too expensive, in my opinion, fugly, and there's the whole UMD thing.

I will have to disagree with everyone about the PSP not working without UMD's. If the PSP2 used only digital distribution, I think it could work, since it has worked out so well for the iPod Touch. The PSP2 would, of course, have higher standards I hope. The app store is kind of broken since it doesn't divide apps by quality.

The Ipod touch is not primary a video game machine.
Kinggoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Kinggoken
Member since 2004 • 230 Posts

To answer the first question, I don't think Sony is going to abadon the UMD format anytime soon. Maybe when the successor to the PSP is released then maybe the UMD format might be dropped. Maybe. Now should you get a PSP Go? Well it all depends on a couple of things. First, having access to the internet at all times is a must if you plan on getting a PSP Go since the only way to get games onto the PSP Go is with a internet connection and the PSN. Second, are you the type of person that always carries around a portable gaming device? If yes, the PSP is the smart way to go because you won't have to carry around all of your games since the PSP can store quite a few games on its internal memory. Third, do you mind waiting for the PSN store to update before getting new games? Some games don't get released right away on PSN and sometimes you might have to wait until the thursday night update to get a game that came out earlier in the week. In some cases the game never gets released at all and that is the one major drawback to the PSP Go (other then its high price and some people complain about the flip screen being "loose").

thats all I got...

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP107
[QUOTE="Kinggoken"]

To answer the first question, I don't think Sony is going to abadon the UMD format anytime soon. Maybe when the successor to the PSP is released then maybe the UMD format might be dropped. Maybe. Now should you get a PSP Go? Well it all depends on a couple of things. First, having access to the internet at all times is a must if you plan on getting a PSP Go since the only way to get games onto the PSP Go is with a internet connection and the PSN. Second, are you the type of person that always carries around a portable gaming device? If yes, the PSP is the smart way to go because you won't have to carry around all of your games since the PSP can store quite a few games on its internal memory. Third, do you mind waiting for the PSN store to update before getting new games? Some games don't get released right away on PSN and sometimes you might have to wait until the thursday night update to get a game that came out earlier in the week. In some cases the game never gets released at all and that is the one major drawback to the PSP Go (other then its high price and some people complain about the flip screen being "loose").

thats all I got...

Dont forget there is no RESALE value of games via PSN. ha ha PSP 1-3000>>>>>> PSGo
blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

Dont forget there is no RESALE value of games via PSN. ha ha PSP 1-3000>>>>>> PSGoPSP107
Don't forget that UMD's break. Not everyone wants to buy a broken UMD, so that almost makes up for that one.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

I hope not. It's happening with PC games.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

I hope not since i only have 12gb a month.

SemperFi10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SemperFi10
Member since 2004 • 3139 Posts

If you already have a PSP, don't bother with getting a go. I love my go, but I opted for it simply because it's a smaller device, which wieghs heavily for me. The games that I want are all on PSN except for DBZ SB. UMDs aren't going anywhere, so there isn't a point.

optiplex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 optiplex7
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

UMD are not going away look at the sales charts in japan i saw just before coming here.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"] Dont forget there is no RESALE value of games via PSN. ha ha PSP 1-3000>>>>>> PSGo

You want to play multiplayer with a friend? Buy two copies. I want to play multiplayer? Just sync it with MediaGo. Your UMD breaks or PSP gets stolen? Buy it again. My PSP gets stolen? That sucks, but I have all my games. If a PSP2/other device is released with PSP BC, it likely won't have a UMD drive. Want to play your favorites? Buy them again. Me? Just sync with MediaGo.
optiplex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 optiplex7
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

would be kind of nice to be able to just re download ur games if your system was stolen.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PSP107

[QUOTE="PSP107"] Don't forget that UMD's break. Not everyone wants to buy a broken UMD, so that almost makes up for that one.

blacknight06
[QUOTE="PSP107"] Dont forget there is no RESALE value of games via PSN. ha ha PSP 1-3000>>>>>> PSGoLongZhiZi
You want to play multiplayer with a friend? Buy two copies. I want to play multiplayer? Just sync it with MediaGo. Your UMD breaks or PSP gets stolen? Buy it again. My PSP gets stolen? That sucks, but I have all my games. If a PSP2/other device is released with PSP BC, it likely won't have a UMD drive. Want to play your favorites? Buy them again. Me? Just sync with MediaGo.

UMD cases crack, but what is the percentage of them breaking completly. Also, if the disk itself is still good. You can swap that disk into another UMD case. @ LongZhizi I can't believe you used that PSP gets stolen argument. Also, replacing a PSP is way more expensive then rebuying those UMD games.
blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blacknight06

would be kind of nice to be able to just re download ur games if your system was stolen.

optiplex7

I'm pretty sure you can,

but I think it requires you to deactivate the previous system?

Anyone know the answer to that one ^ ?

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blacknight06

UMD cases crack, but what is the percentage of them breaking completly. Also, if the disk itself is still good. You can swap that disk into another UMD case. @ LongZhizi I can't believe you used that PSP gets stolen argument. Also, replacing a PSP is way more expensive then rebuying those UMD games.PSP107

Which isn't free! but not expensive either, so I guess your're right.

and If your psp gets stolen then you would be re-purchasing both your PSP and the game you had in it, where on the Go you would only be replacing the system.

MorganMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MorganMonster
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

^ Reply to the poster above ^

Um, yeah, but the PSP GO is 60 or 70 dollars more than the 3000, which is the cost of several UMD discs, so... :/

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107

[QUOTE="PSP107"] UMD cases crack, but what is the percentage of them breaking completly. Also, if the disk itself is still good. You can swap that disk into another UMD case. @ LongZhizi I can't believe you used that PSP gets stolen argument. Also, replacing a PSP is way more expensive then rebuying those UMD games.blacknight06

and If your psp gets stolen then you would be re-purchasing both your PSP and the game you had in it, where on the Go you would only be replacing the system.

no, if you have another UMD case that is open, just take the a UMD disk(just the disk) and it slide it another UMD case.
blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blacknight06

^ Reply to the poster above ^

Um, yeah, but the PSP GO is 60 or 70 dollars more than the 3000, which is the cost of several UMD discs, so... :/

MorganMonster

: (

I tried...

I guess there really is no hope for the Go..

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blacknight06

[QUOTE="blacknight06"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"] UMD cases crack, but what is the percentage of them breaking completly. Also, if the disk itself is still good. You can swap that disk into another UMD case. @ LongZhizi I can't believe you used that PSP gets stolen argument. Also, replacing a PSP is way more expensive then rebuying those UMD games.PSP107

no, if you have another UMD case that is open, just take the a UMD disk(just the disk) and it slide it another UMD case.

But where did this other UMD case come from? :?

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I have the original PSP (fat version when it was first released) so I need my UMD fix. I just hope they release some of those "minis" to UMD because I feel like I'm missing out. As for PSP Go, it's a really cool looking device, but honestly now, if you have a fatboy PSP why would you upgrade? It's essentially a smaller more compact version of what you already have. In other words, you're wasting your money buying the same thing again.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107
[QUOTE="blacknight06"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="blacknight06"]

But where did this other UMD case come from? :?

an example will be i have a game with just the disk. Since one of my UMD case was open, i can swap between 2 disk.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

You can buy UMD replacement cases, online for about 8 bucks (shipping is always a killer.)

http://www.umdreplacementcase.com/

5pack: http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Replacement-Game-Case-Clear-Sony/dp/B00126CYMI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270741200&sr=8-4

10pack: http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Replacement-Game-Case-Clear-Sony/dp/B001262U54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270741771&sr=1-1

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PSP107
[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]

You can buy UMD replacement cases, online for about 8 bucks (shipping is always a killer.)

http://www.umdreplacementcase.com/

5pack: http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Replacement-Game-Case-Clear-Sony/dp/B00126CYMI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270741200&sr=8-4

10pack: http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Replacement-Game-Case-Clear-Sony/dp/B001262U54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270741771&sr=1-1

those colored ones looks better than the default ones.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i dont know about dd all the way, forcing us to download games is a hassle ,

unless they carry vouchers for games used and new , which the first part will be a no becuase you know one code balabla

i dont see psp 2 goign the way of go ,

it will just be an option like it is now

ipad isnt even tapping into nintendos market so what makes you think digital distribution is a way to go , for handhelds much less consoles as a mandatary thing what if some one doesnt want to have online any more

but still wants games

huh! nope i dont see people falling for this ,

it worked for pcs because pcs are a hassle to install to begin with but consoles they have always had this pro- no waiting to play the game

now if they took that away wouldnt it be easier for us to just get a gaming pc ,

, i think it would

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mariokart64fan

thanks for that link though , my games have broken umd cases im sick of swaping my driver 76 back and forth ,

about half of mine are like this

i got like 8 good ones and 8 bad ones, -2 of which are sorta bad they still function but are unprotected

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PSP107

i dont know about dd all the way, forcing us to download games is a hassle ,

unless they carry vouchers for games used and new , which the first part will be a no becuase you know one code balabla

i dont see psp 2 goign the way of go ,

it will just be an option like it is now

ipad isnt even tapping into nintendos market so what makes you think digital distribution is a way to go , for handhelds much less consoles as a mandatary thing what if some one doesnt want to have online any more

but still wants games

huh! nope i dont see people falling for this ,

it worked for pcs because pcs are a hassle to install to begin with but consoles they have always had this pro- no waiting to play the game

now if they took that away wouldnt it be easier for us to just get a gaming pc ,

, i think it would

mariokart64fan

If you dont have money in your account but u want a game that is $19.99, you have to spend $40(2 PSN cards) because you will be short a $1.25(tax)

These games need to be adjusted in price by a few dollars so that 1 $20 PSN card can get you a game for $19.99 or 2 games at $9.99.

The choices of PSN cards should get expanded by offering $10 and a $30. Hell a $5 will be HUGE.

I think as it stands, the majority are not buying stuff of the PSN because of the system. That's why you see prices drops.

Another thing i hate if you want one game for just $4.99, you have to spend $20.

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

optiplex7
You can re-download any PSN game for free, just as long as you bought it already. Why won't this thread die? I'm sick and tired of seeing it.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

The biggest issue I have with the PSP Go is that A LOT of games are not available in the PSN Store. If you only have a PSP Go you cannot play great games like Lumines or Final Fantasy Crisis Core because they simply don't exist for the system. I think that only 20-30% of the entire psp catalogue is available in the PSN Store. Even new games are not always released in the PSN store.

That's because Sony gives the publishers the choice to release their games in the PSN store or not. And it's sad to see that quite a few publishers just won't make their games available for download. Sony really has to fix this.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

The biggest issue I have with the PSP Go is that A LOT of games are not available in the PSN Store. If you only have a PSP Go you cannot play great games like Lumines or Final Fantasy Crisis Core because they simply don't exist for the system. I think that only 20-30% of the entire psp catalogue is available in the PSN Store. Even new games are not always released in the PSN store.

That's because Sony gives the publishers the choice to release their games in the PSN store or not. And it's sad to see that quite a few publishers just won't make their games available for download. Sony really has to fix this.

TheFlush
Yeah. I just won a Go on eBay for $150. I was sad to see that Lumines wasn't on the store. I hope to God that Peace Walker and Valkyria Chronicles 2 have DD versions or I wasted my money.
jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

sooo if i have never owned a psp, but have a couple ps1 games on my ps3 from the store, which system should i get? (i want it for peace walker) i saw the bundle was a 3000, looked pretty cool...

CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CommanderTy

thanks everyone thats soweet yet another battle

retrogamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 retrogamer1
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts

I really hope they dont! I would be shocked if they did though. There are a lot more people who have regular psp's than psp go's and more people use retail and actual copies than digital downloads. It would hurt sony too much business wise if they did.

killeracer0210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 killeracer0210
Member since 2009 • 1475 Posts
I would stay away from the go, the lack of a UMD drive really sucks if you ask me.paradigm68
Like on youtube web site the video called: "[MEGA64] PSP go uses UMD" is about a man bought a psp go and game: soulcalibur broken destiny, as he try to put UMD in psp go, it can't, then he try to open the psp go system then breaks it.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mariokart64fan

i just got a 3000 , , to replace my 2000 that had a broken umd drive , so if they cancel umds i will be so mad but i dont see that happening ,,

even if so psp isnt my favorite handheld not by a long shot , but i still want more games for it ,

i still like ds and gba because of rugrats etc