Is PS3 useless without internet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
I still don't have plans on connecting internet to my PS3. My PC has internet, but I think it would be difficult to put connection to the PS3 because it's in a different room.
fuzzy_hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 fuzzy_hippo
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
definately gat internet for your ps3. i play online about 5 times as much as i do offline which is hardly any. trust me gat online and you will not be dissapointed.
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

**router**

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
it is a pain to hook up especially with wireless routers. They have security issues. But tis not useless. You don't really need to play online.
Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
Why would it be useless? There are tons of great offline games.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
Nope, get rid of your ps3 if you can't have internet on it, it's a worthless and useless black box otherwise... -sigh-
KengoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 KengoK
Member since 2006 • 1768 Posts
NO.....it's not useless.....play smt offline, download themes and pics from you PC and put them on your PS3 etc....
i mean yeah the online play is great but if PS3 didn't have an Internet i would still bought it.
KengoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 KengoK
Member since 2006 • 1768 Posts
Nope, get rid of your ps3 if you can't have internet on it, it's a worthless and useless black box otherwise... -sigh-jack00

or what he said^
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skp_16
I'm not sure if I could use router because my PC uses cable internet.
SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts

I still don't have plans on connecting internet to my PS3. My PC has internet, but I think it would be difficult to put connection to the PS3 because it's in a different room.skp_16

lol are u kidding?! lol. no it isnt.

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SollidSnake_

btw..

**router**

ChiSoxBombers
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Pig_Hostage

I'm not sure if I could use router because my PC uses cable internet.skp_16

So does mine... There's no reason you can't use a router with cable.

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SollidSnake_

it is a pain to hook up especially with wireless routers. They have security issues. But tis not useless. You don't really need to play online.duane27

:| i did it in 5 mins.

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SollidSnake_

[QUOTE="skp_16"]I'm not sure if I could use router because my PC uses cable internet.The_Pig_Hostage

So does mine... There's no reason you can't use a router with cable.

and mine... Oo

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
tell me what is "NEXT GEN" without ONLINE?!
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skp_16

tell me what is "NEXT GEN" without ONLINE?!ChiSoxBombers

The reason why I'm not that happy with this gen is that there are a lot of requirements to fully enjoy it.

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

To me, it definitely is. I'm an online player first and foremost so if I couldn't hook up a PS3 to internet, I would never have bought one.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiSoxBombers"]tell me what is "NEXT GEN" without ONLINE?!skp_16

The reason why I'm not that happy with this gen is that there are a lot of requirements to fully enjoy it.

I'm not 100% sure you HAVE to have internet to enjoy your PS3. There are a lot of games that are great off-line: (to name a few obvious examples) MGS4 Gran Turismo 5 prologue Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction Uncharted Drakes Fortune even COD4 offline is extremely fun. Little Big Planet Valkyria Chronicles Ferrari Challenge Trafeo Pirelli The biggest issue is the PS Store. You have access to it on your PC, so if you have a 2GB or 4GB memory stick, you can download stuff from the PS Store on your PC and put it on your PS3 using the memory stick. If your into online play, then PSN is great and there will be games like Resistance and Killzone which will be better online than off. It is not a total necessity (except for Warhawk and Socom Confrontation ;) LOL)
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Pig_Hostage

[QUOTE="ChiSoxBombers"]tell me what is "NEXT GEN" without ONLINE?!skp_16

I barely ever play online, and I'm pretty fully enjoying it.

*shrug* To each his own...

Ironhorse001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ironhorse001
Member since 2002 • 648 Posts

I still don't have plans on connecting internet to my PS3. My PC has internet, but I think it would be difficult to put connection to the PS3 because it's in a different room.skp_16

If your PS3 has wireless connection, go for wireless router.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skp_16
[QUOTE="skp_16"]

[QUOTE="ChiSoxBombers"]tell me what is "NEXT GEN" without ONLINE?!-ArchAngeL-777-

I'm not 100% sure you HAVE to have internet to enjoy your PS3. There are a lot of games that are great off-line: (to name a few obvious examples) MGS4 Gran Turismo 5 prologue Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction Uncharted Drakes Fortune even COD4 offline is extremely fun. Little Big Planet Valkyria Chronicles Ferrari Challenge Trafeo Pirelli The biggest issue is the PS Store. You have access to it on your PC, so if you have a 2GB or 4GB memory stick, you can download stuff from the PS Store on your PC and put it on your PS3 using the memory stick. If your into online play, then PSN is great and there will be games like Resistance and Killzone which will be better online than off. It is not a total necessity (except for Warhawk and Socom Confrontation ;) LOL)

Good thing I'm not into online playing and I hate FPS. :)

The things that makes me worry is that I would miss downloading demos and the fun of LBP. I will sure buy LBP but I fear that I might not enjoy it w/o online.

hd18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hd18
Member since 2003 • 140 Posts

First of all you can a wireless router it dosnt matter if you cable.

Second i have an internet connection with my PS3 but PSN dosnt support my country and connecting to Online play is a real pain in most games because of bad connection with game servers and i still enjoy my PS3 very much.

P.S: Its really upsetting that most games dosnt have splitscreen anymore. Even if you can play online i enjoy better sitting with a friend in front of the same tv and playing. I dont understand why they dont do it anymore.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts
I'd say just hook it up once and awhile just for the sake of downloading the latest firmware update.
SethSOMT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 SethSOMT
Member since 2004 • 1067 Posts
The furue of the PS3 is community based, by offline play is still fun.
stevemanu10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stevemanu10
Member since 2008 • 359 Posts
I really only play cod4 so it is essential for me to have internet
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
If you hate FPS games then that doesn't leave you a lot of options for online play except for racing and sports games. Otherwise the internet connection is used for downloadable game only and demos. There are still singleplayer games worth getting like Ratchet and Clank, Unchaarted, Folklore, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Burnout, and so on. You should at least get a router. If you are wired all you need to do is go out and by a ethernet cable that is like 30 or 50 ft long and plug it into the router. Routers have ethernet jacks called ports, there is usually 4 of them on a router. you take the ethernet cable out of the wall or wherever it is and put it into one of the ports in the router for your computer. Then put an ethernet cable into the PS3 and one of the other ports in the router. All routers should have instructions on how to set them up with power and the other things you need to plug in first.
Heclogit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heclogit
Member since 2005 • 377 Posts

The PS3 has built in wireless and free online play. I don't see why you wouldn't go the way of a wireless router. Its honestly really simple. You just plug in your main source of internet to the main router and run cable to your computer. Then you just goto the network settings on your PS3 and set it up from there. Make sure to turn off Media Server connection because alot of people think they have network problems but they had that turned on.

This is a good router to use. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts

yeah you need internet to have any fun. even if you dont, youll feel like crap when the 256 player online MAG comes out

mfleury87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mfleury87
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts
Get a router and hook up your PS3. It's worth it, free online multiplayer, and theres a lot of content to be downloaded.
mastiffchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 mastiffchild
Member since 2008 • 301 Posts

Wasn't he against a wireless router because his PC has a wired connection? Well so does mine(through choice-I'm all about the ethernet cables in my house)and I had my PS3 on it with my PC wired and PS3 wireless(changed back cos my areas C**p speeds meant lag galore going wireless with the PS), along with a wii wireless as well and none of it was a pain to set up.

I guess it just depends on what speeds your ISP gives in your area and/or whether you like playing online as even LBP stuff will be downloadable through your PC onto any USB device you choose. I didn't think I'd be that into playing online( being an old decrepit gamer from the darkest days of thinking the Sinclair ZX81 was AMAZING! change is sometimes scary for a pecker like me)but I get on with it well now and would really miss it if I accidentally broke the internet one evening(by ,like, shocking it by actually not being the first goon shot on Unreal or COD).

I just think the OP will find it easier and more accessible if he gets online with his PS3.

Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts
It's not useless, I do not have High Speed access at home, and I've had my PS3 since '06, and fully enjoyed it as well. I probably have been to the PS Store about 4 times for a couple demos (which I achieved by taking my PS3 to someone's house), and I also don't care for online gaming, yet, I've put many hours into the system.
zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 zaid55
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
You dont have to have online but you ll be missing out in the end. There great single player games like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank avvailable but if you have a game like COD4 you ll be missing out alot. You would also be able to download game demos and themes for your PS3 and purchase games online as well. It would be a shame to miss out.
dizzyd_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dizzyd_basic
Member since 2003 • 53 Posts
ps3 is just fine without internet to it but you are missing out on a few great things if they matter to you. you can get movies,new game maps, game updates,chat with friends online, get music info if you rip muic cd's. but really the only reason anyone have the internet for ps3 is to play online games so if you dont like playing online or dont have online games than its not a big deal