Is nobody else interested in Nier? More to it than meets the eye

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

First off, I am not expecting this game to be some super polished, top shelf experience. However, what it does have is character. Anyone remember Drakengard 1 & 2 from last gen? The developer (Cavia) who made those made Nier as well. While they were not critically acclaimed, they surely were considered gems by many. I think Nier is going to fall into the same category when all is said and done.

It is more of an action-RPG with real time combat. It has skills, abilities, a currency system, experience, side quests, a magic system and many different weapons and upgrades as well. However, it is the story that will be the draw here. It is supposed to be around a 15 hour game, but you will not understand everything that is going on until you play it 2-3 times. Overall, it seems to be a mysterious, dark and depressing sort of game that has an incredibly unique vibe.

Here is a new Gamespot video preview:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/nier/video/6254477/nier-video-preview?hd=0

Here is a new Japanese trailer for the the Japanese version, which features a different protagonist than what we are getting in the west. The game is the same, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5O_rzFnJ4k

New updated story impressions from Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/nier/news.html?sid=6254522&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1&mode=previews

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

It looks pretty good.

ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

Ehhh I'll be watching it to see how it is. Maybe if it's decent I'll pick it up

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ironcreed

All I have seen are negative responses to this game for the most part. Hell, I did not think it looked all that great myself, until I looked into it. I think many are probably being thrown off by the sub-par graphics, which I admit are not great. However, the art and overall tripped out vibe of the game stands out in a big way. Cannot believe that more are not picking up on what a strange experience this game is going to be.

mtokoly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 mtokoly
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i think it looks bland at best.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I'm very cautious about it right now, I like it's game style but it looks kinda meh right now.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ironcreed

LOL, I figured as much. I guess I will be the guinea pig on this one. I am actually expecting it to get squashed review-wise, but I have played many a game that got slammed, but I ended up loving. I am expecting no different here.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
Don't worry, Ironcreed, I'll take the plunge with you. I'm very intrigued by this game, and I haven't seen anything yet to throw me off other than how ugly Nier's face is. :P I want to learn more about Kaine. Why does he talk like a little girl? Anyway, the combat, the sidequests, the characters, and the story all seem strange and interesting. I can't wait to find out what it all means.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

LOL, I figured as much. I guess I will be the guinea pig on this one. I am actually expecting it to get squashed review-wise, but I have played many a game that got slammed, but I ended up loving. I am expecting no different here.

ironcreed
I mean, I just need to see more gameplay. I'm the same as you I don't listen to reviews in order to find a game that I like.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ironcreed

Don't worry, Ironcreed, I'll take the plunge with you. I'm very intrigued by this game, and I haven't seen anything yet to throw me off other than how ugly Nier's face is. :P I want to learn more about Kaine. Why does he talk like a little girl? Anyway, the combat, the sidequests, the characters, and the story all seem strange and interesting. I can't wait to find out what it all means.TheEldestGod

Good deal. We will go over the cliff together then, lol. Seriously, I honestly do not care what it scores. The game may not have flashy visuals, but at least it seems to have some substance that requires more than one play through just to understand what the hell is even going on. Seems to have zero hand holding as well. With that, should be an interesting experience.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEldestGod"]Don't worry, Ironcreed, I'll take the plunge with you. I'm very intrigued by this game, and I haven't seen anything yet to throw me off other than how ugly Nier's face is. :P I want to learn more about Kaine. Why does he talk like a little girl? Anyway, the combat, the sidequests, the characters, and the story all seem strange and interesting. I can't wait to find out what it all means.ironcreed

Good deal. We will go over the cliff together then, lol. Seriously, I honestly do not care what it scores. The game may not have flashy visuals, but at least it seems to have some substance that requires more than one play through just to understand what the hell is even going on. Seems to have zero hand holding as well. With that, should be an interesting experience.

i agree. Honestly, demon's souls had some pretty retarded looking character models, too, but that didn't stop it from being one of the most amazing gaming experiences of my life. Nier does seem to offer a lot of substance. the bit about the wolf with the gargled voice that is translated the second playthrough was enough to pique my interest. I'm only really concerned about the combat, but from what I read it sounds like it should be pretty good. I have a feeling the story will be. Let's just hope this is a sleeper hit and we're the firsts to know. ;)
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I'm looking forward to Nier on the PS3. I think it will be a good game but, it's not in my top ten of "must-have" games at the moment. It will probably be a game I get when the price drops.

NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts

I'm thoroughly interested in it. While the game may not have the best graphics (judging from the videos), it's shaping up to be a good game.

Although not much has been shown, what has been shown and described to us definitely has me interested enough to check it out. It may not be a first-day purchase for me (due to money restraints), but I will pick it up eventually.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Poor character design choice. Sometimes.. I wonder how they pass the execs.. I mean, look at the main protagonist. What's with his hair? And face? And dont get me started with his outfit. That alone, will turn a lot of people off. Probably why no one is really talking about this game because it's poorly designed and marketed.
ivanfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 ivanfred
Member since 2004 • 1110 Posts

Any action game with RPG elements is worth a look by me. Hopefully, we will see a demo.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm intrigued, but I'm going to be cautious with this one. I need to be absolutely sure what this game is all about before I waste 60 bucks on it. I've been wasting a lot of money on games lately, so I need to make a good decision.