Is Metal Gear Solid 4 the ONLY reason to buy a ps3?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Ok so i have a ps3, and ever since i beat mgs4, it just sits in the corner of my room.

Lets face it, ps3 has nothing. It has a half-assed online service,no amazing exclusives, my controllers dont have rumble(if i want it i gotta spend like 200$ on 4 new controllers), its big,it doesnt come with HD cables so you gotta buy them, it doesnt come with a mic, its online marketplace has limited content and the controllers analog sticks are too sensitive for hardcore FPS games.

Why would anyone want it? I have all consoles, and its sad that i play my wii more than this.

I play my 360 the most, purely because it has the best games. Im no fanboy, but i judge systems on what games they have exclusively.

And now that final fantasy is on the 360, PS3's well is dry. Untill the new God of War it looks like my ps3 will just be sitting in the corner of my room.

And yes im award of resistance and killzone. But will they be any good? I bought PS3's halo killer "Haze" and it was garbage.So we will see with those games.Not to mention resistance 1 was kinda meh. It wasnt bad but it wasnt spectacular.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Crypt_mx
But mgs4 is insanely amazing.
Avatar image for 224385652654335052701865008979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 224385652654335052701865008979
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts
There are many reasons to buy a PS3. I'm a bit extreme in that I have most of the games available for the PS3, but I think many of them were well worth the purchase of my PS3. I for one was very disappointed by MGS4. That's just me though and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority. Look at the list of PS3 games, find the ones that suit your interests, and do research on them.
xxxMoreBeerxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 xxxMoreBeerxxx
Member since 2006 • 993 Posts

But mgs4 is insanely amazing.Crypt_mx

I share some of your feelings but in regards to mgs4 being "insanely amazing",I disagree.

I am a huge mgs fan and have beaten the other games in the series multiple times. I bought mgs4 the day it was launched and have yet to finish it. It is just boring. I like gameplay and it has so very little. I will eventually finish it. I will probably start from the begining again to see if I can justify my $60 purchase because at the moment I feel cheated. I do not believe that this game should be the only reason to own a ps3.

There are a handful of good exclusive games and a bunch of great multiplat games. You should try Uncharted, Resistance (online is great), or even the Show 08, which I am really enjoying at the moment.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Well, say/believe what you want. But I definitely thought the PS3 was worth it for MGS4, R&C series, warhawk, and countless good multiplats and future games like R2 and wipeout HD. Uncharted is nothing to scoff at and motorstorm 2 will also be very good.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I have 47 PS3 games, 13 PSN games and I spend 99% of all of my gaming time on my PS3. Not to mention that, future title wise, most of the ones I want are PS3 exclusive and multiplatform games.

Also, in case you're wondering, yes, I have every current console and handheld.

In other words, no, I don't agree. Not one bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 224385652654335052701865008979

[QUOTE="Crypt_mx"]But mgs4 is insanely amazing.xxxMoreBeerxxx

I share some of your feelings but in regards to mgs4 being "insanely amazing",I disagree.

I am a huge mgs fan and have beaten the other games in the series multiple times. I bought mgs4 the day it was launched and have yet to finish it. It is just boring. I like gameplay and it has so very little. I will eventually finish it. I will probably start from the begining again to see if I can justify my $60 purchase because at the moment I feel cheated. I do not believe that this game should be the only reason to own a ps3.

There are a handful of good exclusive games and a bunch of great multiplat games. You should try Uncharted, Resistance (online is great), or even the Show 08, which I am really enjoying at the moment.

That was my main gripe with it. It felt repetitive and I felt like I was fighting with the controls.

timoton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 timoton
Member since 2005 • 561 Posts
Well if you're complaining about the price that's one thing but there will be many great games coming out on the ps3 this year and next year. Oh, and haze was NEVER said to be a halo killer.
timoton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 timoton
Member since 2005 • 561 Posts

I have 47 PS3 games, 13 PSN games and I spend 99% of all of my gaming time on my PS3. Not to mention that, future title wise, most of the ones I want are PS3 exclusive and multiplatform games.

nyc05

:shock: How big is your ps3?

sevansoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 sevansoares
Member since 2005 • 685 Posts
I find it hard to beleive that one game alone can become a system seller. I mean, if you buy a system you're expecting a little more than just one game, unless you have a lot, and I mean a whole lot of expendable extra cash or you're just a spoiled brat (and I don't mean YOU, I'm just talking in general terms), or at least that's what I think. In any case, I don't think Ps3 lacks games, it has a lot of multiplat good games and FFXIII might have gone multiplat too, but we're still getting it. Also, there's a lot more to it than just gaming, like hd movies. But as for gaming and just gaming, you still have plenty of options besides MGS4 and that goes for exlusives as well as multiplat games. There are plenty of games to come this year, let alone 2009. But then again, I got the feeling that "Next year is Ps3's year" for most Ps3 users, and that's just an excuse we've been hearing since 2007. I think we should all just enjoy all those great games that are already out there, I mean I know there are a lot of great games coming, but in the end it all comes to your current use of the console, so I think we should all enjoy our own consoles and games instead of keeping this competitive attitud as far as other consoles are concerned. I'm loving my Ps3 and my games no matter what other people say, and I sure hope Xbox and Wii users are enjoying theirs too.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts
[QUOTE="nyc05"]

timoton

:shock: How big is your ps3?

What do you mean? My hard drive?

I have a 320gb HDD installed on my 60gb PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 224385652654335052701865008979

nyc05

Dang, 47 disc games! I thought I had a lot! :) nice one!

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

nothing spectacular yet your right ...

waiting for a real stealth game to show up (Hitman 5 :shock:)

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

I play my 360 the most, purely because it has the best games. Im no fanboy, but i judge systems on what games they have exclusively.

Crypt_mx

Oxymoron of the year. Maybe they're the best games if you like playing as beefed up space marine with no personality (which lets face it, is who you play as in every single 'good' 360 exclusive).

Personally I'm perfectly happy playing MGS4, Resistance, Uncharted, Siren: Blood Curse ect. So what if it has Gears of War or Mass Effect? If I really cared about playing them I'd just get them for my PC instead.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

Ok so i have a ps3, and ever since i beat mgs4, it just sits in the corner of my room.

Lets face it, ps3 has nothing. It has a half-assed online service,no amazing exclusives, my controllers dont have rumble(if i want it i gotta spend like 200$ on 4 new controllers), its big,it doesnt come with HD cables so you gotta buy them, it doesnt come with a mic, its online marketplace has limited content and the controllers analog sticks are too sensitive for hardcore FPS games.

Why would anyone want it? I have all consoles, and its sad that i play my wii more than this.

And now that final fantasy is on the 360, PS3's well is dry. Untill the new God of War it looks like my ps3 will just be sitting in the corner of my room.

And yes im award of resistance and killzone. But will they be any good? I bought PS3's halo killer "Haze" and it was garbage.So we will see with those games.Not to mention resistance 1 was kinda meh. It wasnt bad but it wasnt spectacular.

Crypt_mx

No.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

I think the problem is you. Anyone that says ps3 has no games is a retard I guess the ps3 is not for, I really cant see how you cant like the ps3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 224385652654335052701865008979
oh god, I should have read the rest of the TC's message. ugh, don't feed the trolls! :)
haemorrhagiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 haemorrhagiae
Member since 2008 • 617 Posts

Buy ps3 for blu-ray.Good reason enough.

Buy ps3 for amazingly cheap cell procesor=Epic win!

WhyuStillAlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhyuStillAlive
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts

Crypt_mx

your a troll. seriously if you don't like the console just get rid of it. You already have a 360 go have fun with that. I could say the same about Halo 3 After that I SOLD mine because even though that was a great game, nothing special really if you played halo 2... graphic wise that game was horrible. HD cables cost $5 online but why would you even brag about that? mic? buy yourself a bluetooth headset.I could go on and on about what the other consoles charges but I don't feel like typing it over again. Just get rid of your PS3 if u truely don't like it. Here are my collection of games.

Single Player:
Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank, Oblivion, Uncharted, DMC4

Single & Multiplayer:
GT5P, GTA IV, Rainbowsix Vegas, NBA 2k8, Call of Duty 4, Burnout Paradise, Motorstorm, Warhawk, MGS4

PSN Games:
Super Stardust HD, Street fighter puzzle HD, Pain

I have many more psn and ps1 games just can't remember the names.

pocket-dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 pocket-dragon
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts
The PS3 still has so much content that is yet to be released. Bioshock, LBP, God of War 3, Resistance 2. The Ps3'ss well is far from dry, my friend! FAR from dry.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

I think the problem is you. Anyone that says ps3 has no games is a retard I guess the ps3 is not for, I really cant see how you cant like the ps3.

RTUUMM

Awesome Rock Lee image. I remember that episode where he challenged sasuke to a fight that's the part where Gai sense says hes stronger then kakashi and team 7 called him a Lier. lol good times.... Also I agree with you about PS3.

MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts
this is really funny. Excluding halo 3 all the games i can see on your gamertag can eb played on the ps3 so your making no sense.
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

What it really came down to is my preference for the PS3 was about far more games than just MGS4(granted, that was high on my list). If I bought a 360, I'd only be doing it to play Gear of War and Halo. If I got a Wii it'd just be for Super Smash Bros and Zelda. I've never understood the sentiment that "I only wanted the _____ so I could play this ONE particular game"

If that's actually your reason, then I say it's not worth buying the system at all. You'll be finished with that game and then have a expensive dust collector laying in your closet or something.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
Don't buy consoles just because of a few games or exclusives. :)
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

Don't buy consoles just because of a few games or exclusives. :)skp_16

Yeah, just blindly love everything that crawls to the PS3 with it's epic mediocrity ... :)

michelle3g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 michelle3g
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts
your just being negative about it..the ps3 is reliable and will not give u any rrod..which is why i choose it over the 360..even though he 360 is also a great console...but there is a lot more to the ps3 beyond mgs 4...many great exclusives are out and are coming like god of war 3 (coming soon), resistance 2 (coming soon), killzone, warhawk, warhawk 2 (coming soon), resident evil 5 (cant wait for it to arrive), motorstorm, ridge racer 7, tekken 6 (coming soon), ratchet and clank, devil may cry 4, uncharted drakes fortune and many more...and it also has free online which makes it an even better deal...i'm just sorry you bought haze which indeed was a disapointment..but there are many other great games out there...
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

[QUOTE="skp_16"]Don't buy consoles just because of a few games or exclusives. :)soren008

Yeah, just blindly love everything that crawls to the PS3 with it's epic mediocrity ... :)

On the contrary, keep your eyes wide open. And be forever watchful of everything each system puts out. Minds change, and so does the games people enjoy. I was a N64 person back in the day, not PSX.

And before anyone says anything, I'm not exactly rich, so I can only afford one system. That's why I gotta choose a system with multiple games that intrgue me and go with that.

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

Funny enough, the PS3 has the best line up of exclusive games of all the systems, its also incredibly diverse. I honestly only have 3 disc games and 1 PSN game, but I feel more like my 360 was the rip-off. Dead Rising and Ninja Gaiden II seemed to be the only exclusives on it worth getting excited over, everything else was either going to, or was already on, PC. Now Dead Rising is going to the Wii, meaning that all thats left is arguably the weakest of the NG 3D series.

The PS3 has quality stuff from Insomniac (Ratchet and Clank and Resistance), something startlingly fresh and original with Little Big Planet, the inevitable God of War 3, Uncharted and whatever else ND is willing to cook up, SuckerPunch's INfamous, and a whole slew of multplatform games that run just as well on the PS3 and 360. The PS3's non gaming capabilities are quite nice as well, its like a mini computer that can allow for plenty of user generated specifications, something the 360 has all locked up and doesn't want you to play with. I especially enjoy the idea of FREE PS3 themes compared to MS charging a dollar or two for a picture pack.

So no, MGS4 isn't the only reason, the PS3 has been quite validated as a system to own and play on.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#29 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
2 cents say that the OP forgot that 1) He's on the PS3 forums trying to tell us all this. 2) He gave "The Club" an 8. Your standards can't be terribly high to warrant this thread. 3) He just mentioned the Wii's playtime being over the PS3's... I can totally see the point of his thread.
Dante_May_Die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dante_May_Die
Member since 2008 • 1505 Posts
And I Thought Im Dumb Dude You Got MGS4!!! atleast u didnt get Assassins Creed the gayest game of the year man you should be happy the next game u should get is resistance fall of man u wont be bored from MGS4 and Resistance fall of man..and im desprate i cant decide what next game should i get either Resistance fall of man or mgs4 (i got gta iv and gayassassins creed)and dont forget the new exclusives coming man resistance 2 Littlebigplanet killzone 2 and many more ;)
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts
Disgaea 3 can be your other reason to get PS3.
Dimtri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Dimtri
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts
no mgs4 is not the only reason why to buy a ps3. There are a lot of games that are great such as uncharted, ratchet and clank, god of war 3 and more. There is blueray and the PSN is going to become a lot better than the Xbox Live. Ps3 is the way to go
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
No MGS4 isn't the only reason to buy a PS3. That's a stupid comment. Online doesn't suck, it just missing a couple features. Calm down. Geez.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I hate these threads. "I disagree with you so I'm gonna shout it at everyone and hope you don't get offended!!!!!!!!!" FAIL
AceJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AceJakk
Member since 2007 • 344 Posts

Non-exclusives that are still on the PS3 and worth buying:

Fallout 3

Bioshock

The Last Remnant

FFXIII

Exclusive Titles on the PS3:

FFXIII: Versus (still exclusive)

White Knight Story

Resistance 2

Killzone 2

God of War 3

Little Big Planet

Disgaea 3

As far as I'm concerned, the 360 has fewer exclusive titles that I'm excited about (Fable 2 and Gears 2 - that's it)

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

nyc05

wow, that's a lot. thumbs up for you :)

gusnitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gusnitro
Member since 2004 • 355 Posts

your trippin. ps3 is so tight. it should be the only console that should be out right now cuz it dominates.

From the menu to folding. From the games to the psn store. From the blu-rays to psp features to can do with your ps3.

Ps3 dominates all!

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rakuho

Oh yeah, back to the topic:

No, mgs4 is not the only reason to buy a ps3, and if that's what you did, shame on you. No console should be purchased for a single game ONLY.

In response to some other comments regarding TC being a troll, just cut it out. He didn't like mgs4, big deal, at the end of the day he just made a bad purchase. Besides, I could see myself posting something like TC did if I were to buy a Wii, saying that "it just sits there" or "I regret purchasing it" (well, ok I wouldn't post that because I'm not so *fill in the blank* to publicly complain about a personal poor decision and bother people with my own stupidity, but if this was an alternate reality, I would TOTALLY do that, lol.)

crewboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 crewboi
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts
everyone stfu, ps3 powns
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Symphonycometh
everyone stfu, ps3 pownscrewboi
Welcome to Gamespot....where there are two halves: The ones that can type correctly and sound awesome doing it, and the..."other" half...
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rakuho

everyone stfu, ps3 pownscrewboi

aren't there like only 2 or so people on this thread who said something that can remotely be considered "bad" about the PS3? so you, sir, may take you own advice.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Crypt_mx

im not a troll, im discussing my feelings towards the ps3.

I think that ps3 may have some good exclusives, but they are few.

I dont even like halo, but mass effect was an amazing game, not to mention gears of war is fantastic.

With fable 2 on the way i dont see any reason to have a ps3

i can see myself playing resistance 2, god of war 3, and MAYBE killzone. Thats only 3 games and the only amazing one is god of war.

I m not a fanboy because better games come exclusive on 360.

My ps3 is good, its the games that are killing me.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

I m not a fanboy because better games come exclusive on 360.

Crypt_mx

That statement is wrong on so many levels >_>

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Crypt_mx

Little Big Planet

Disgaea 3

and white knights story ?

they all look like crap. Lttle big planet is innovative, thats it.

As for those other 2. meh.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Crypt_mx

how is it wrong

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Symphonycometh
The PlayStation 3 forum is a place for you to discuss the games and platform.This forum is NOT here for you to discuss other topics that do not involve this platform or to compare other platforms. Discussing or trolling about any non-related Sony game platforms can result in a moderation with a suspension duration.Gamespot
Where have I read this?
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Crypt_mx

and rrod? if anything goes wrong with my 360, i get a new one.

If your ps3 ever fails(because of a power surge or something etc) you cannot get a new one.

Ps3's online is laggy,missing options, the online store is empty, and no one talks.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Crypt_mx

and i wasnt comparing it untill you retards started.

I just wanted to know if ps3 had more exclusives that interest me. But it doesnt so w/e.

AlMar12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AlMar12345
Member since 2005 • 749 Posts
Honestly TC you just need to open your eyes and try a little more, it sounds like you want to give up on your PS3 after playing one game, so you beat that game, why not take it online for free and play some MGO, it's the most fun I've ever had online and I've played a lot of gears, halo 3, CoD4 and warhawk, I think MGO blows them all away, try it. Also try buying other games with an open mind, you sound so negative, YES Resistance 2 WILL BE GOOD, it's Insomniac man, they rock, YES Killzone 2 will be worth buying, yes LBP will rock, yes GoW 3 will be EPIC, Uncharted is good, R&C is good, Warhawk is good. Forget Haze, it was never supposed to be a Halo killer, it was Free Radicals first try on next gen hardware, thats all. Buy blu ray movies, look harder at the store, theres plenty of content. Buy some PSN games Pixel Junk Monsters rocks. Just give the thing a chance and stop being so negative, you sound emo about the PS3 man hahaha
AlMar12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AlMar12345
Member since 2005 • 749 Posts
Ohhh yea and I wouldn't buy FFXIII on the 360 if I were you, it will probably run better on the PS3 since they are just porting it to the 360, and Square has said it will take a dual layer blu ray disc to make, so I don't know how well it will run on a DVD, and seriously man you are starting to sound really trollish just automatically disagreeing with everyone. My PS3 lags way less online than my friends 360 and if you think White Knight story looks dumb why are you excited about FFXIII, they are both JRPGS. You say the PS3 has no exclusives that interest you and then you say you only like Gears and Mass Effect on the 360, yet you say the PS3 has WAY less exclusives than the 360, listen to yourself man, you don't make any sense, just give the PS3 a chance and get out of your troll set of mind