Is it worth it to buy s PS3 still ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts
With this gen closing is it worth it to buy a PS3 ?? I would like to buy me to play all the exclusives , will the PS4 be backward compatible ? Or should I quit being a cheap ass and go buy one lol ?
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

This question gets asked all the time. Yes, the PS3 is worth it if you want to play the games the system offers. No one knows anything about the PS4. Even when the PS4 does launch, it probably will not be great from the start. This happens with all new consoles. A bunch of information just came out about God of War, Little Big Planet Karting, PlayStation All Stars, and The Unfinished Swan. There are other games coming out within a year such as The Last Guardian, Sly Cooper 4, and more. Sucker Punch is also working on a new PS3 game. You have all of this plus the old games that are pretty cheap by now. Even if PS4 was on the horizon and had BC, playing PS3 games on the PS4 would not be a good idea. I am play Final Fantasy 8 on PS3 right now, and in some spots the game does run so well.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I would still buy a PS3 at this time, their is no confirmation about a release window for the PS4 and if it will be backwards compatible. I wouldn't count on it though, since Sony has been phasing out backwards compatibility on pretty much all of their recent hardware.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
Yes it worth to buy and own PS3
Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Venom951
I'll probably invest in one this week thank you. what are some PS3 must haves right off the start ? 3 recommendation please .
kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kyacat
Demon souls Valkyiria chronicles Littlebigplanet Sly collection Jak and Daxter collection God of war 3 folklore uncharted 1,2,3
Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Venom951
[QUOTE="kyacat"]Demon souls Valkyiria chronicles Littlebigplanet Sly collection Jak and Daxter collection God of war 3 folklore uncharted 1,2,3

I hear nothing but "Amazing" things about The Uncharted Series , as well as God of War . Is the Metal Gear HD Collection any good ?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ps4 is 2 years away...

just get a ps3.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

We really need a sticky on this particular subject.

-

Yes it is definitely 'still' worth it. If it wasn't, Sony would have nothing new to announce. As is, I am willing to bet they will drop details on 3-5 major titles at E3. Not to mention all the previously announced games that will eventually be released. For the price of a new console today, you will wonder how you got by before.

-

The PS3 is still going strong and will be supported for years after the PS4 is released. Which could very well be 2 years from now. That means, you will have 8-12 years worth of games to buy and enjoy. Don't deny yourself any longer. Join the club already :D

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Venom951
I didn't know you got that many of these sorry I was just curious . I am going to buy one Im thinking the 320GB uncharted 3 bundle
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#11 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I didn't know you got that many of these sorry I was just curious . I am going to buy one Im thinking the 320GB uncharted 3 bundle Venom951

No worries. It does come up a lot. Most of the time it's trolls though. I am skipping next gen because the PS3 offers me more than any other console ever made has. Thousands of games, past and present.

-

Enjoy the machine. I would recommend....

UC 1 and 2.

Sly collection.

Ratchet and Clank: ACiT.

InFamous.

LBP.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

There isn't going to be a PS4 on the market for a couple of years at least, so yes, buy the PS3.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kyacat
Forgot to add Heavenly sword yes metal gear HD collection is good this coming from nonfan
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

[QUOTE="kyacat"]Demon souls Valkyiria chronicles Littlebigplanet Sly collection Jak and Daxter collection God of war 3 folklore uncharted 1,2,3Venom951
I hear nothing but "Amazing" things about The Uncharted Series , as well as God of War . Is the Metal Gear HD Collection any good ?

Yes, yes and yes.

Go pick it up and enjoy phenomenal games. :)

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Playstation 4 is not going to backward compatible with Playstation 3 games. According to the current rumors. As for Buying a PS3 in 2012. Yes it is still worth it. Only 5.5 years have expired in the 10year lifespan of PS3. 4.5 years to go. Even if PS4 were to be released tommorrow Sony would still support PS3. Just as PS2 and PSone last 10years plus.

So yep it is still worth buying a PS3 today.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Or should I quit being a cheap ass and go buy one lol ? Venom951
Wait till e3...if no ps4 announcement...go buy a ps3
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

yes, you should wait until the PS5 is released. it's far too late to buy a PS3.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Is the Pope a Catholic? :P
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

most likely Microsoft will announce the X720 at E3 this year, most likely sold with Kinect as main controller to seduce the "casuals" (which is totally stupid as the casuals won't understand why they should buy the new console as they don't get the concept of graphical power) and they'll do anything to release the console first to get market share

Sony can react 2 different ways :

- announce the PS4 too, even if it's only at 25% development

- annouce the PS4 at E3 2013 or 2014, with specs humiliating the X720 and new ways of playing (new controller, upgraded Move, interactions with the Vita ... don't forget Sony was the best at creating strange controllers with the dance mat, maracas, guncon)

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
I would go for it, they are much cheaper now and you have a solid 1-2 years minimum till the next system will even be talked about.
Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Venom951

most likely Microsoft will announce the X720 at E3 this year, most likely sold with Kinect as main controller to seduce the "casuals" (which is totally stupid as the casuals won't understand why they should buy the new console as they don't get the concept of graphical power) and they'll do anything to release the console first to get market share

Sony can react 2 different ways :

- announce the PS4 too, even if it's only at 25% development

- annouce the PS4 at E3 2013 or 2014, with specs humiliating the X720 and new ways of playing (new controller, upgraded Move, interactions with the Vita ... don't forget Sony was the best at creating strange controllers with the dance mat, maracas, guncon)

TheTenth10
IGN had a article a month ago stating that Sony would beat Microsoft to launch this time around.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Yes

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

do you know what?? i'm going to go against most of you here and said i'd hold off until E3, and see what they plan to do about the ps4 if anything, it's only a few weeks away now. it wont hurt you to wait. if we look back on the history of sony this is about the time they will introduce it, they say they wont but this may be there big plan to catch people off guard. at least then you know how long it's going to be until the next one, and then think about it, and if it isn't unvealed at this years e3 then get one. there good but if your trying to wait around knowing that the next console could be around the corner i'd wait to see if they say anything. it's a win win.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

Considering that the PS2 is still selling and STILL to this day worth buying, I would definitely say that the PS3 is worth buying as well. In some ways, the PS2 is actually worth buying OVER the PS3, no joke. There are still plenty of very awesome and affordable PS2 and PS1 games out there (considering that the PS2 is backwards compatible in ALL models, whereas ONLY the 60G PS3 system is backwards compatible with most, BUT NOT ALL PS2 games, and the 60G PS3 is either ridiculously expensive or near impossible to find anyway).

I would say that if you don't want to spend a lot, get yourself a pre-owned PS3 slim model in good working condition AS WELL AS a PS2 (I'd recommend a brands new PS2 that can run you $99 or less on Amazon). Much of the PS2 library completely kills most of the PS3 and PS1 libraries. The PS2 is the single most successful gaming console of all time, and it is for good reason. Many of the great classic games you can still find pre-owned for a fraction of the cost I payed for them back in the day. ...well, you may already have a PS2, hence what I'm saying may not mean much anyway :P

I myself own a PS3 and have had one for about 5 years, and I didn't buy it until like 2 years after launch, and even to this day still have a blast playing my PS2 as I have them both hooked up at home. I am also buying PS2 games regularly. I actually find myself buying more PS2 games than PS3 games (pre-owned of course at local Gamestops).

Don't worry about the PS4, the PS3 will still be selling strong and worth buying years into the PS4's launch.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

With all the games the PS3 has on offer, HELL YEAH!! If you skip the console, you're missing out.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts
With this gen closing is it worth it to buy a PS3 ?? I would like to buy me to play all the exclusives , will the PS4 be backward compatible ? Or should I quit being a cheap ass and go buy one lol ? Venom951
Yes as the console is still getting a lot of great exclusives. The only reason I would probably choose a Xbox over a PS3 (that is if you don't have a Xbox already) would be to play all the Halo games plus Halo 4 that's coming out later this year. Funnily enough Halo is probably the only game that's carrying the console...
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'd get one. Even if the PS4 does get released next year, there still are a ton of good games you can get for cheap now anyways. Besides, buying a console at launch really isn't the smartest thing to do.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Besides, buying a console at launch really isn't the smartest thing to do.

Vari3ty

This man speaks truth. Give it a year or two to get the kinks worked out.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
go buy PS3 with demons souls dars souls mgs4 UC series heavy rain god of war 3 gt5 KZ2&KZ3 resistance series yakuza 3 ratchet and clank series infamous1&2 valkyria chronicles soon coming last of us sly 4 ninokuni GOW 4
kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

If you want a ps3 and all it's best games for discounted prices then yes! If not, then you're an idiot ;P

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#31 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Yes go get one now! Pretty much all the exclusives are worth purchasing one, plus it's the best console available.