Is it worth getting a 4k tv solely for the ps4 pro?

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

Opinions?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

NO

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 benny_boy98

@raugutcon: why not?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

There are no 4k games and it doesn't have a 4K blu ray player. Hell, I'm getting a X1 S and even though it has 4K player I'm not getting a 4K screen just because I got one.

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 benny_boy98

@raugutcon: is it not worth it for the graphical advancements though

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts
@benny_boy98 said:

@raugutcon: is it not worth it for the graphical advancements though

the gfx card in the pro is about 2.5x as powerful as the current ps4 gpu, but then the cpu is just a slightly faster overclocked version of the current cpu (it would appear), and the pro has the same amount of memory (8GB) running ever so slightly faster than the ps4 so, if my experience as a pc gamer is anything to go by, i can't see how the lack of improvements to the cpu and ram in comparison to the gpu won't be anything other than significant bottlenecks in terms of performance.

i've been bitten by this in the past years ago when i upgraded an 8800gtx ultra to a gtx295 which, spec wise, annihilated my old card but saw very few improvements of note and had to buy a new motherboard, double my ram and buy a much improved cpu to make the most of the new gfx card. obviously pc vs console architecture is different but it still raises massive doubts.

the more articles i read about the pro the more it further baffles and disappoints me as to why sony are doing this and how they think those modest specs will in any way incentivise me to go and shell out another £400 on a console to replace one that i've not even had for two years

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

If you're in the market for a TV, get a 4K TV. People only seem to think Xbox and PlayStation are the only 4K devices but I'm certain we'll 4k stream sticks, set top boxes etc. in the next year or so. 4K streaming tech is already there. It's just a matter of people moving over. Netflix etc. already have content in 4K, HDR etc but don't release it because they can charge more for it later when people demand it.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

Ask me again on November 10 and I'll let you know.

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

hi It is not! Ive bought a small tv set for my own personal viewing; I dont own any large tvs; I dont see the requirement for them; I dont attach them to the walls either . After waiting a couple minutes for the tv to start up its great when its small; provided that youre in a room where youre sitting next to the tv; um Im not .

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Absolutely not, unless you're willing to fork over lots of dough for a decent screen. It'll probably be 1-2 years until you get a good one for a decent price. The ones that are "cheaper" is for a reason. And as you probably know it isn't widely used, yet.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

No, not at all. The only reason to get a 4k Tv is for PC gaming and/or watching 4k movies. The Ps4 doesn't support 4k BluRay and won't get enough out of your Tv. I do own a 4k Tv (for a while now) and I don't even go out to buy a Ps4 Pro as I know that it can't come close to what my 970 SLI setting puts out

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@benny_boy98 said:

Opinions?

No. The Price for those TVs is too high. We all know the prices will eventually drop and the tech will be replaced by something fancier.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@raugutcon said:

There are no 4k games

While I agree that it isn't worth getting a 4K TV FOR the Pro, I disagree with this part of your statement - there actually are a few native 4K games announced for it (all last-gen, as needs to be the case, given its low power), but more importantly what we've seen so far of the upscaling is pretty solid. People need to understand that not only does it have a better scaler than most TVs would, but it will typically be scaling using better assets, higher native resolutions, or both, than a PS4 would. Because of that there definitely seems to be a visual benefit in 4K over base PS4 1080p - at least from what we have been shown so far.

Will it have native 4k games? Yes, but only a few. But will the scaled 4k games be worth it? In my opinion, the answer is "not worth buying a new TV, unless you already wanted to", but it does seem like it will be noticeable.

I think even more importantly, however, is the HDR. Pretty much everyone who has handled these devices (the S and Pro) seems to agree that the HDR is the more palpable benefit. Since that also relies of having a 4k TV - well, for some, the combined whammy of 1440p upscaled to 4k AND HDR may just be enough of a visual upgrade.

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 benny_boy98

@jut: I agree, alot of content is moving over to 4k, even including sky, with there new 2tb sky q box

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@benny_boy98:

NO! It's not native 4k, meaning that the resolution you'll want won't be nearly as good as you expect! It's not worth paying for both.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

If it 4k tv then cant you watch tv in 4k?.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Absolutely not. I have a 4k TV and... not worth the upgrade.

That said, if your money is super long, f it go ahead and get a new TV.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i have a 4K tv and i wont bother with the Pro but that's just me.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

No. Close topic.