Is it okay to have PS4 while playing mostly PS3?

#1 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

It turns out, I'm going to be getting a PS4 pretty soon. I will confess I only got a PS3 a number of months ago and am having fun. I have tons and tons of games that I need to get through. With that said, due to circumstances I will be receiving a PS4 and I have wanted PS4 badly since the day it came out. At the same time, I'm really playing so many games now on PS3, which is also pretty new to me. Is there anything wrong with playing PS3 and PS4 simultaneously? When I do have my PS4, I know that I'll still be getting lots of PS3 games because there are so many more I know I want. Anything wrong with just getting a game a month on PS4 and playing lots of PS3 at the same time? Now my PS3 was free, it was my dads and I found it not knowing he had it for years. And the games I have were mostly under 9 bucks, so everything was real cheap. I want a PS4, but I don't NEED it. I don't want to make my friend feel jealous either. So I do admit I have mixed feelings. My friend was talking about how people are greedy because they need multiple systems. He's a Ps4 and X box hater, but all about PS3. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm thinking about telling him I'm just borrowing it from my cousin.

#2 Edited by crewe8 (703 posts) -

I have them both as well, reason I got ps4 was because of bf4 , which my mates was going to be playing on multi player most of the time. .. If that wasn't the case I probably would have stuck to my ps3, because of the range of games it has, and the lack of games ps4 has..

#3 Posted by Manatu_Bear (25 posts) -

I bought a PS4 but play mostly on PS3. I dont regret buying the PS4, its only a case of the games i want to play now being currentgen only. I dont see the Ps4 as an upgrade, or a replacement for the PS3. Its just another "member of the family" like Sony said. All 3 complement each other (vita, ps3, ps4) :D

#4 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Hey, Its video games not a moral exam. own as many as you want. And there is nothing wrong with owning multiple systems. feeling like you have is not having straight priorites on whats important.

#5 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@mattykovax said:

Hey, Its video games not a moral exam. own as many as you want. And there is nothing wrong with owning multiple systems. feeling like you have is not having straight priorites on whats important.

You're right, I guess at the end of the day it's not a moral exam. It's entertainment!

#6 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@mattykovax said:

You're right, I guess at the end of the day it's not a moral exam. It's entertainment!

Not trying to be a jerk, its just with all the issues in the world I hate seeing you feel guilty because you have choices for your enjoyment.

#7 Posted by gamenerd15 (4529 posts) -

Games are games. If you want a PS4, then get one. The system has fun games like Knack, Infamous, and Resogun. Wolfenstein, Transistor, and Watch Dogs come out pretty soon. If your friend says anything, then just tell him you wanted a PS4 because you wanted to have a next generation system for upcoming games. There is nothing greedy about it. Greed is when you take more than your fair share while others are in need. Consoles are not mandatory for life. The last time I checked, PS4's are not super rare. Anyone can get one off Amazon, or where ever he or she chooses to buy the product from. I bought a Wii U and PS4 in the same month. I felt a little bad for spending a little too much money, but I do not feel greedy because I own both in addition to a PS3.

#8 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

How are people greedy with multiple systems? I have wiiu 360, ps3, ps4, all hooked up to tv. And I have 3ds and vita. Not to mention all my even older stuff. What's greedy? It's not like I took them from someone else or someone can't get them cause I have every one...

#9 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn said:

How are people greedy with multiple systems? I have wiiu 360, ps3, ps4, all hooked up to tv. And I have 3ds and vita. Not to mention all my even older stuff. What's greedy? It's not like I took them from someone else or someone can't get them cause I have every one...

Yea, he always says that PS3 is everything. Says that it's 1080 p or something and that nothing is more powerful than a blu ray, which a PS3 game is like. He feels PS4 is just trying to make money and that PS3 is basically the same thing. Says that PS4 might be technically better in some ways, but not for the most part. And lastly says that people should appreciate what they have. Says that a poor kid in a small country would not think about PS4 and would be happy with a PS3. He asks how many systems people need. But he said he'd rather take a PS4 than an Xbone, because there is nothing he hates more than an X Box. To him, it doesn't exist.

#10 Posted by SoNin360 (6688 posts) -

I feel the same in that I really want a PS4 but don't need one at the moment since I'm still playing through several PS3 games. But go ahead and buy one whenever you want, who cares honestly. I mean, aside from your friend, who shouldn't be influencing your decision at all.

#11 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

The ps4 doesn't even do 1080p in all games lol. Your friend sounds a little... Off. He he like 12 or something?

#12 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn said:

The ps4 doesn't even do 1080p in all games lol. Your friend sounds a little... Off. He he like 12 or something?

No, he is 17

#13 Edited by Megavideogamer (6341 posts) -

# Yes it is fine to have a Playstation 4 and be mostly playing Playstation 3. The PS4 is just over 6 months old. by a mere 3 days. Playing your PS3 more is understandable. There are just more games out for the 7th generation Sony system. The PS4 will eventually have a massive library but just only 6 months and 3 days old. The games are coming

So catch up on your PS3 backlog. Most gamers have games to catch up on. It is not a crime to enjoy PS3 and PS4 and the same time. Even if you are currently playing Playstation 3 more.

#14 Posted by MarcRecon (8093 posts) -

Having multiple is the norm nowadays, I got the PS3, 360 and the PS4. In about a year or so I'll have the XB1 as well!

#15 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

Having multiple is the norm nowadays, I got the PS3, 360 and the PS4. In about a year or so I'll have the XB1 as well!

I got a question. Can it cause a fuse having all those systems hooked up? My friend was saying too many systems can cause a fuse

#16 Edited by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@MarcRecon said:

I got a question. Can it cause a fuse having all those systems hooked up? My friend was saying too many systems can cause a fuse

No way lol. I have a PS3, Xbox One, PS4 and TV plugged into a cheap extended power outlet with no problems whatsoever.

#17 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

I have pa3 ps4 360 x1 wiiu surround sound and tv all on same power strip just fine. Never turned them all on at once though

#18 Posted by shellcase86 (3312 posts) -

Nothing wrong with that.

#19 Posted by MarcRecon (8093 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@MarcRecon said:

I've had multiple consoles for year, I've never had an issue but I've never fired them all up at the same time either! lol

#20 Edited by blueboxdoctor (2549 posts) -

Not a big deal, I have a PS4 with a PS3 and currently play the PS3 more (Dark Souls II and Disney Infinity are taking up my time). Currently my PS4 is being used for Madden, Thief, AC4, and some MP with KZ and BF4 (I prefer KZ, BF4 has given me weird connection issues whereas KZ has been smooth every time and is really well done). And hey, look at this Fall, the games will be there then (Destiny, Dragon Age, Watch Dogs next week, the new Alien game, and so on) so at least you'll have the system and will just need the games then and while you wait, PS3 games are cheap and still really good (I'm catching up on a few I missed, the prices are great now).

Avatar image for littlestreakier
#21 Posted by littlestreakier (2950 posts) -

First, if your friend makes you feel that self conscious about getting a PS4 then he's not your friend or you need to grow a pair, know what you want and tell him you don't care of his opinion.

Second, your eventually going to play games on your PS4 so why does it matter if you get it now or later? Just do whatever makes you happy not what makes your friend happy...

#22 Edited by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@MarcRecon said:

Maybe if you have them all powered up at the same time you'll blow a fuse. Otherwise, no, you will not blow a fuse simply by having them plugged in.

And tell your parents or whoever is responsible for the property to, for God's sake, catch up to the developed world and install a breaker box already.

#23 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

Thanks. Do you guys know if light guns work when plugged into the cords on a switch box? Does it make a difference? And again, for CRT I'm talking AV and for the new guns I'm talking about The HDMI switch boxes, so I have the right equipment and TV's for both, but am wondering if it works with the switch boxes I am getting.

#24 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Your friend sounds like an idiot who wants others to feel bad because of what he does not have.

His excuses are weak and sound like justification for all he has bias, you know system wars shit.

#25 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

i have had both on and i have had no problem with it

#26 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

Today he told me he can't believe I don't have every Tekken and MK game ever made. He said that people would die for them. I seriously can never please him. I realized that a lot of my games were games I bought on impulse. It's like he won't collect any game that I have but then criticizes me for not having all games of certain series's. It never ends but I can't play this game with him anymore.

#27 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

Your friend sounds like a young kid who believes everything he says and thinks is right and everyone else agrees with him but you. I wouldn't take him to seriously.

#28 Edited by PumpkinBoogie (3375 posts) -

Do you, hon......whatever feels right, y'know, lol. In a few weeks I'll likely do the same thing when I finally get a PS4, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm gonna stop or neglect my PS3 (truthfully, I still have too much a backlog to even dream of doing that, lol). The best thing about that scenario is that at least you've got something else to ease waiting in-between new PS4 release w/ a helluva library from the PS3 era to balance keeping you occupied.

#29 Posted by sukraj (27227 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

@mdk12345 said:

@MarcRecon said:

No way lol. I have a PS3, Xbox One, PS4 and TV plugged into a cheap extended power outlet with no problems whatsoever.

I'm enjoying Wolfenstein its a fun little game you should pick it up sometime.

#30 Edited by mooooo99 (1251 posts) -

im still playing my ps3 more than my ps4.. i havent built up a backlog on my ps4 yet.. just need to bring myself to finish killzone at somepoint. the games aren't there yet but im sure that they will be soon enough and i will be trying to catch up on my ps4 games..

#31 Posted by PsyphonX (25 posts) -

I have a PS3 and PS4, I don't regret buying one. Not too many games, but the games I do have are awesome. Then I will have Watch Dogs on Tuesday, Ufc when that comes out. I know I'm going to get addicted to the demo up until then as well.