is HDTV necessary for PS3 ? *please read before posting*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

so at last i managed to find a way to play my PS3 with my SDTV and i can say the visuals were really good. actually that is the problem bothering me because i saw some game shops at MGS4 launch day were playing MGS4 on their HDTV and the visuals were not great. bright colors were looking so fake and annoying ( ok thats because of LCD, i already plan to buy a Plasma ), sharp edges were making visuals Worse, not better and it was like jaggy. at that time i thought if this is hdtv, i dont want it... but since my sdtv didnt let me play my ps3, i had to think about hdtvs, till yesterday...

i was planning to get Panasoic's th42pz80e ( or 81e/85e ) but now i'm afraid to be disappointed...

is there a really big difference for games ? i wont use it as tv and probably i wont watch many blu-ray movies too, so my main concern is ps3/games.

if there are photos of a comparison, please share with me because i really didnt see anything like comparison.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
HDTV is not needed.
Kaine666_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Kaine666_2
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
hdtv is not needed, but LCD doesnt make it look worse at all my lcd tv work well and i enjoy playning on it. but sdtv looks fine aswell
Alpha-Foxtrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Alpha-Foxtrot
Member since 2008 • 1310 Posts

SDTV is still pretty good.

If you have the cash to spare you may as well buy an HDTV as the visuals will be better.

If your worried that it is a waste of money then don't bother.

fnd461

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 fnd461
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

I'm sticking with my SDTV! SD USERS FTW! HAHAHA!. Well, the only sucky thing is the smaller fonts, any idea how to solve that TS?

I'm sticking with SDTV cause I'm poor anyway.

SceaduHyrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 SceaduHyrde
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts
Bottom line, not a requirement but if you consider for one, the visuals are much more breath-taking, clear, big etc.
alidallal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 alidallal
Member since 2003 • 41 Posts
At first I used the regular cables but after pluging the HDMI I'm never thinking of going back :shock: well, it was a huge difference to me ;)
lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lesner87
Member since 2004 • 2441 Posts

TC i already had a HDTV before buying my PS3 and when i played it on HD i didnt like it aswell.But trust me when i bought my Samsung syncmaster 931bw for 200$s the quality of the games completely changed they are FAR better now than any SD/HD TV.

The thing is that on big screen HD tvs the quality is lost but on monitors due to the small screen and FULL PROGRESSIVE HD output NO quality is lost.

Spy_106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spy_106
Member since 2005 • 712 Posts
Used the PS3 with my SDTV for months after buying a PC monitor Samsung SyncMaster 22" 2253BW I saw a big difference connected it with HDMI to DVI Cable and far better than SDTV
SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts
HDTV is not necessary but it looks way better on a HDTV.
lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lesner87

Used the PS3 with my SDTV for months after buying a PC monitor Samsung SyncMaster 22" 2253BW I saw a big difference connected it with HDMI to DVI Cable and far better than SDTVSpy_106

Have to agree with you.Sync masters deliver a very good quality.What did you do about the audio output ?

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

Honestly it depends on the TV!

Weather HDTV is needed is a matter of opinion, however seeing the PS3 on a HDTV is not the same as seeing the PS3 on a really good HDTV. Looking at the TV in stores can be decieving due to the lighting (not going to be the same in your home). I personally have SONY 50 inch http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EYDqordeYgU/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=15850A2020 . I will guarentee you it will kill your SDTV. Also alot of people hook up their new HDTV and never really sit and adjust the video settings which with the THX optimizer on any Star Wars DVD can make a world of difference.

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
HDTV is hands down better looking. I played on my SDTV for about the first 6 months of launch, but after saving up all those months I went out and purchase a "Samsung 720p Plasma" and wow it was a HUGE difference with a (HDMI Cable) of course. I'll never go back to SDTV no matter how bad im short on cashstola... It's like a drug to me now ;)
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheLegendKnight

TC i already had a HDTV before buying my PS3 and when i played it on HD i didnt like it aswell.But trust me when i bought my Samsung syncmaster 931bw for 200$s the quality of the games completely changed they are FAR better now than any SD/HD TV.

The thing is that on big screen HD tvs the quality is lost but on monitors due to the small screen and FULL PROGRESSIVE HD output NO quality is lost.

lesner87

Used the PS3 with my SDTV for months after buying a PC monitor Samsung SyncMaster 22" 2253BW I saw a big difference connected it with HDMI to DVI Cable and far better than SDTVSpy_106

well both of you say the same thing but you are suggesting something very small ( 22" compared to 42" ) so its natural to have really good visuals...

well actually my sdtv is not that big either ( 28" ) but still i thought it was good enough...

Bottom line, not a requirement but if you consider for one, the visuals are much more breath-taking, clear, big etc.SceaduHyrde
At first I used the regular cables but after pluging the HDMI I'm never thinking of going back :shock: well, it was a huge difference to me ;)alidallal

and these comments make me want to get it asap, like this weekend >.>

Avatar image for LightReflection
LightReflection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LightReflection
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
I can afford one but they're still so stupidly expensive here in Australia, it's the principle really. Over fifteen hundred grand for a TV? Ugh. I'll probably end up caving and picking one up. Been playing on an SD for a few months.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

If graphics are important for you, then you should buy a HDTV.

I'm already fine with SDTV since graphics doesn't matter to me. I'd rather play a game with GTA SA graphics but has a good gameplay and story than a game with Uncharted/MGS4 graphics but gameplay and story sucks. Hehe. :)

Leostatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Leostatic
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
Yes, there is a readily discernible difference between HDTV and SDTV...and LCD has its advantages over plasma. Though plasma tv's have improved, burn-in is STILL an issue. Check CNet, Consumer Reports etc, for articles on plasma vs LCD. Also if playing in a well-lit room, LCD looks better as plasma suffers from glare and light-reflection issues.
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheLegendKnight
Yes, there is a readily discernible difference between HDTV and SDTV...and LCD has its advantages over plasma. Though plasma tv's have improved, burn-in is STILL an issue. Check CNet, Consumer Reports etc, for articles on plasma vs LCD. Also if playing in a well-lit room, LCD looks better as plasma suffers from glare and light-reflection issues.Leostatic
well, i play games in a dark room, so i already choose plasma over lcd... actually i already decided on Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ80E ( or 81E/85E )
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nocturnal_Speed
[QUOTE="lesner87"]

TheLegendKnight

well both of you say the same thing but you are suggesting something very small ( 22" compared to 42" ) so its natural to have really good visuals...

well actually my sdtv is not that big either ( 28" ) but still i thought it was good enough...

Bottom line, not a requirement but if you consider for one, the visuals are much more breath-taking, clear, big etc.SceaduHyrde
At first I used the regular cables but after pluging the HDMI I'm never thinking of going back :shock: well, it was a huge difference to me ;)alidallal

and these comments make me want to get it asap, like this weekend >.>

o by the way, my HDTV is a 42" and everything from my PSX / PS2 / PS3 games I play on it fit and look gorgous. Get around 42" Plasma HDTV and you'll thank me :)

TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheLegendKnight

o by the way, my HDTV is a 42" and everything from my PSX / PS2 / PS3 games I play on it fit and look gorgous. Get around 42" Plasma HDTV and you'll thank me :)

Nocturnal_Speed

thanks for saying this, that was another concern of mine

are all ps2 games look good on hdtv ? really i heard some negative comments about ps2 games looks bad on hdtvs...

motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts

usually, If PS3 looks bad on a hdtv, its probably hooked up with a/v wires, rather than component or hdmi.

Although I do prefer plasma over LCD, i went with a new Sony LCD since the reviews were high, and the increased lifespan of LCD.

Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nocturnal_Speed
[QUOTE="Nocturnal_Speed"]

TheLegendKnight

thanks for saying this, that was another concern of mine

are all ps2 games look good on hdtv ? really i heard some negative comments about ps2 games looks bad on hdtvs...

WTF!!?? hell na, the PSX and PS2 games look WAY! better than on Ps one or Ps2 consoles. They have the Smoother Frame rate and Larger picture for an HDTV. I don't know where you heard that, but it's a huge improvement if you have a BC console. The PsX and Ps2 games play up to 40", which basically fits perfect with my 42" (you don't see a huge gap of a black square all around the game.

I have the 60GB, which is the EE Chip, but im not sure if thats the big difference or not. The graphics and gaming experience is awesome; Ive been replaying my classic 1 & 2 games on the big screen a whole lot now-a-days.

TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheLegendKnight

WTF!!?? hell na, the PSX and PS2 games look WAY! better than on Ps one or Ps2 consoles. They have the Smoother Frame rate and Larger picture for an HDTV. I don't know where you heard that, but it's a huge improvement if you have a BC console. The PsX and Ps2 games play up to 40", which basically fits perfect with my 42" (you don't see a huge gap of a black square all around the game.

I have the 60GB, which is the EE Chip, but im not sure if thats the big difference or not. The graphics and gaming experience is awesome; Ive been replaying my classic 1 & 2 games on the big screen a whole lot now-a-days.

Nocturnal_Speed
i didnt mean PS3, i meant the TV... PAL PS3 doesnt have B/C... so i'll use same old PS2 with HDTV, thats what i'm asking >.>
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nocturnal_Speed
[QUOTE="Nocturnal_Speed"]

TheLegendKnight

i didnt mean PS3, i meant the TV... PAL PS3 doesnt have B/C... so i'll use same old PS2 with HDTV, thats what i'm asking >.>

Well never tried it on the Ps2 consoles, but my buddy has a 36ish SDTV and the picture looks good to. Of course there isn't going to be any difference with a HDTV, simply because it's not going to run HD (HDMI Cable). Sorry buddy....

lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lesner87

well actually my sdtv is not that big either ( 28" ) but still i thought it was good enough..TheLegendKnight

Dude it mainly depends from person to person.I am more of a PC hardcore gamer(mostly fps) so i have always loved monitors.I have tried my level best to convert my PS3 into a PC sort of machine.In which i must say i have succeded,only Splitfish FRAG FX is left on my list.But some of my other frends love big screen HD tvs and usually go for them.But i can assure you that what you can get from a LCd monitor,wont be achieved on HD tv(taking about resolution quality).

Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#27 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts
To me an HDTV or equivalent (projector/monitor) is necessary. If you're going to drop hundreds to thousands on a console meant for HD graphics shouldn't you play on something that utilize it's potential? I think so, but hey if you can't afford the tv no big at least you get to enjoy the games
DNChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DNChan
Member since 2008 • 249 Posts
Warning! Once you go HD you can NEVER go back. You have been warned.
Flam3Thr0w3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Flam3Thr0w3r
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

No, it's not neccessary, but it makes a really big difference.

When I first got my PS3, I only had a SDTV, and now I have a 40" 1080p Samsung HDTV in my living room and a 20" 1080p Samsung HDTV which doubles a monitor in my bedroom, and you do notice a huge change.

As I said, it is not neccessary, but you are not getting the full expierence without it.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Playing in SD is like looking out of a dirty window, the image is the same, it is not just as bright and clear.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
You render the blu ray drive usless in your ps3 if you only play on a standard tv. Basically you are paying for a blu ray player that you will never use. You might as well buy another cheaper console.
ashunpnoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ashunpnoy
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts
In the next few years, an HDTV is going to become a necessary thing
fnd461

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fnd461
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts
Oh, I will look into this Syncmaster. Seems like a good investment. But what do you think is better, an LCD TV or an LCD monitor? Cause I do play games with friends from time to time.
AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts
The ps3 looks really good on a SDTV, compared to other systems. However, on a HDTV the games look even better. If you search this thread you can find some people who have HDTVs like the Sony XBR5 and the games like Uncharted look awesome. The TV you saw in store were not calibrated for games and they must haven been cheap crappy displays. I do not recommend Plasma because ot the burn in it gets but LCD is the best.