Is demon souls really good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rounder617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 rounder617
Member since 2005 • 337 Posts

I havent been on my ps3 much do to my 360 and my pc. But i want to get back into it and i saw that demon souls gets praised by the gaming community and i look at gamestop and say that it was $25. Is it worth it for me to go out an pick it up. Or will i get extremely frustrated with it and never play it again?

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

You might want to rent it first if you can. Personally I'd say $25 is a good deal for such a game. The game isn't for everyone though.

rounder617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rounder617

Sad thing is though i can't rent it cause all the blockbusters closed around me

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Sad thing is though i can't rent it cause all the blockbusters closed around me

rounder617

None of the blockbusters in my area carried it, so I just used a gamefly free trial when I really wanted to try the game.

Sev_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sev_the_gamer
Member since 2010 • 220 Posts

I don't know about a "good game" but it was very VERY hard one, gave to my friend and never going to play it again, to hard for me :).

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
The game is good and addictive if you get into it. Also the game is that hard you just need to be patient.
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

LOL First if you don't understand endurance and how slinging a sword and blocking deplete the endurance gauge then it's going to be hard for you and I would pass.

Second, $25 is a steal that is if you understand it has a battle system which prevents you from being successful if you just mash buttons.

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jovahutcwsu
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts
If you like challenge the game is not for the faint of heart. It's probably the most difficult game I've ever played. And I've played everything. However the game in general is awesome and beautiful. Sometimes though the difficulty can get in the way of enjoying the game. Yeah some people can't take it.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Yeah, besides what a few of these posters have said the game is not hard, you might be challenged but the games difficulty is up to how smart you play and how many hard games you have beat.

If you don't suck at playing games you'll get through it fine without much challenge.

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jovahutcwsu
I have no idea what Yangire is talking about. I'm pretty sure that over 90 percent of people who play that game will agree that the game is really freaking hard.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I have no idea what Yangire is talking about. I'm pretty sure that over 90 percent of people who play that game will agree that the game is really freaking hard.jovahutcwsu
i wouldn't say that. its not as easy as most games have become, because dying actually effects you... but all you have to do is learn attack patterns and the game is very manageable (easy imo)
jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jovahutcwsu
method man I'm assuming you haven't played ng+?? Or black worlds? I agree that learning attack patterns was enough to get through the game the first time with white worlds, but going back through it on ng+ with all my skills, items, and soul level, and even knowing attack patterns was not enough to make me say that this game isn't that hard.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

I have no idea what Yangire is talking about. I'm pretty sure that over 90 percent of people who play that game will agree that the game is really freaking hard.jovahutcwsu

Well a lot of people these days don't play hard games.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
method man I'm assuming you haven't played ng+?? Or black worlds? I agree that learning attack patterns was enough to get through the game the first time with white worlds, but going back through it on ng+ with all my skills, items, and soul level, and even knowing attack patterns was not enough to make me say that this game isn't that hard.jovahutcwsu
yes i have beat the game 3 times.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#15 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

best game on the system.

on my 6th playthrough roughly. i come back to it every so often

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Most of the people that fail at this game swing their weapons like wildly like Kratos and are confused why they always die.

The game is awesome, challenging, and very satisfying. It won game of the year on this site for a reason.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Lockdown in 5... 4... 3... 2.... 1...
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
I haven't finished the game. I've come to about my third try in playing the game now, but I do think I can still comment. For me, DS is a game about the journey, not the destination. The game is hard if you refuse to play the way the game intended you to. If you want to go head first into every battle, or just go sword swinging, you'll probably die sooner or later. If you can change your gamestyle (or if in fact, you already play games that way, ie. being cautious, attracting enemies one by one) then you'll adapt. If you don't like the fact that the game is forcing you to play a certain way, then you might not get into it. Part of adapting is getting used to your characters movements early on. I remember one problem I had with the game was that your character stops cold when eating a herb (healing), which may not sound much, but in the heat of battle, I've forgotten that a few times, thinking I could still back-up while healing. It's a shame because in other terms, your movement is very fluid. There are also things like how a mage takes a couple seconds longer to execute an attack compared to a sword strike, which are things you'll want to keep in mind. You'll also need to gauge your enemies pattern. So far I've seen it to be a very pattern specific game. So while you may die, it'll help you recognise enemy patterns. You'll also be very restricted by darkness. In the open parts of the game, you'll see enemies clearly (well, usually, some still ambush you), but when your in cave like areas, with darkness around you, it can get irritating. Enemies that are right in front of you become ambushes basically. I find it a tired game mechanic, but that's how it is, so be wary. The most important thing seems to be to understand your characters movement and abilities. How you attack, how you defend, how your movement differs when locked on and when not and so on. Then adapt to your enemies. The game is trial and error, but it also guides you through it. This is because you have the innovative online component, something I'd recommend playing this game to solely experience if nothing else. It's a two-etched sword for me, one because you really need it to get through the game with the least amount of deaths, but at the same time, means that trial and error gameplay mechanic this game relies on, can become somewhat obsolete. You'll have messages warning you about dangers, and how to overcome them and fight bosses and such. Plus you have the ability to help others out I wouldn't say the game is hard, tedious maybe, but that's because it's very similar to grinding. The game reminds me a lot of Diablo, so if you've played that, you may get the same feeling. I get why people love the game so much, but for me, there's plenty where it could have been improved. It seems immune to criticisms that would've bogged down other games, usually in the name of being hard. I'm still eager to play the game, but nowadays the online's dryer so it's possibly not quite as fun. But for now, I'll still push through.
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
the game is good illl give it that. but severely overrated. but for $25 its worth it
txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

I got this the other day, and honestly it is an awesome game but at times I found myself not bothered with it. Personally, the fun factor ran out for me as I got too impatient at times.
Anyway, I think all this game needs is alot of patience, and with that this game will be an enjoyable game. Definitely not overrated as many say.

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

At a price such as that it is hard to pass it up. Demon's souls is easily one of the PS3s best exclusives.

JVevV-3J2a87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JVevV-3J2a87
Member since 2009 • 253 Posts
short answer: YES, get it !!
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

The game's not really that hard with the exception of a few bosses that might give you a few problems, but overall it's not hard. And, yes, it's a great game.

Avatar image for Zero_resistance
Zero_resistance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Zero_resistance
Member since 2009 • 232 Posts

It's a good game, but get ready for a REALLY long grind, cause it is monumentally difficult.

Put on a pot of coffee, your in for a long haul

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

Oooo $25? I've been meanin' to pick Demon Souls up. Wasn't at the top of my list, but it piqued my curiousity. Last I looked it was still going for $55 used at Gamestop. I can swing $25 for it though =D

rounder617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rounder617

ya i just picked it up with a new controller i really hope its good :) thanks for the input!

ahnzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ahnzz
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts

itsthe other way around... is demons souls really bad? NO, it is a great game

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I bought and yes its kinda hard but you ll get used to it, and thats kinda the problem too, cus the game relies too much on its difficulty, and hard bosses that once you get used to it you ll beat it quickly.
King_Faisal_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 King_Faisal_94
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts

If any of you think its hard you must seriously suck. On my first game I barely died against any boss and I was in body form for most of it. Every boss has an easy way of beating him and every enemy has a weakness, which isn't hard to discover at all. The only tough moments in the entire game are 5-2 and the Tower Knight (don't know why I struggled on him). Remember raise luck for the Blueblood sword you get from Maiden Astrea's soul as well faith for the Moonlight sword. The most important tool against bosses is FIRESTORM!

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
I thought I'd hate the game but it ended up being my game of the year by leaps and bounds and actually ranks second on my "Best games ever" list, to Ocarina of Time. Its a masterpiece. The difficulty is overrated. That is not to say the game is easy but if you approach the game with the right attitude (staying alive ranking much more important than literally everything else, use EXTREME caution) then everything is doable. It does have checkpoints despite what everyone else tells you (if you open a gate then die, the gate will still be open acting as a shortcut). Anyway its no walk in the park, and some sections in particular might prove very challenging (Flame Lurker, Old King, world 5-2), but the game is an experience like nothing else I've ever played and love it or hate it, everyone should play it.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

If any of you think its hard you must seriously suck. On my first game I barely died against any boss and I was in body form for most of it. Every boss has an easy way of beating him and every enemy has a weakness, which isn't hard to discover at all. The only tough moments in the entire game are 5-2 and the Tower Knight (don't know why I struggled on him). Remember raise luck for the Blueblood sword you get from Maiden Astrea's soul as well faith for the Moonlight sword. The most important tool against bosses is FIRESTORM!

King_Faisal_94
... The Large Sword of Moonlight kind of sucks imo. The Blueblood sword on the other hand is borderline broken. And I prefer Fireball to Firestorm on my mage because while firestorm is great for bosses and PVP, fireball is more versatile and mana/spell point conservative. That's just me though. You really can't go wrong with Firestorm, especially since it can one-shot pretty much all of world 5.