Is Dead Space scarier than Bioshock and Resident Evil 5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

I was thinking of getting Dead Space sometime soon. I heard great things about Dead Space, plus it has trophies. Anyone know?

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I believe demo for Dead Space is scarier than those two games combined. RE5 is more about the action and heart pumping moments than being scary. Bioshock is more of a beautifully intense shooter. Dead Space is about making your afraid.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Bioshock is not scary, RE5 is not scary, Dead Space is scary as ****. That answer your question?

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
Yes. Much so. That is all.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
Honestly I didn't find either of those games scary in the slightest. RE5 is just a tps. Is not scary at all and should not carry the Horror genre label by any means. Deadspace is a bit eerie at times, but you pretty much expect the few feeble attempts to make you jump right before the happen. Bioshock was by far the creepiest to me. I don't know why. Hearing the splicers mumbling in the distance had me set for a fight, but it was scary cause I didn't know where they'd be coming from. And there were a few times I jump. Mostly cause I'd walk up on defense bots unexpectingly and the alarm would make me jump. :lol: I guess Bioshock would get my vote, but its still not really scary.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

None of them are scary....In Dead Space how can you be scred when you have so many weapons to use? Its fun but not freaky...Resident Evil is like an action game now and Bioshock is another action,

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Wow. Many people lately have been considering Bioshock scary. Kinda goes to show why the horror genre is dying out. :| Bioshock is not scary, RE5 is not scary, and Dead Space is not scary. Dead Space is engrossing, which can lead to you being startled by the occasional pop-out thrill. I don't consider anything in it to be truly scary.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

LBP is scarier than RE5 if that says anything. Bioshock just has a creepy atmosphere (although it's a great game by itself). Dead Space isn't like crap-your-pants scary, but it's definitely scarier than the other 2 games.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Dead Space and BioShock are the best choices TC. As for scare factor Dead Space has cheap scares that will get you every once in a while. Resident Evil 5 isn't scary what so ever. As for BioShcok it gets creepy at times but nothing to make you jump out of your seat.

RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts

get it i have it and it is a really good game the story keeps you guessing all the way to the end the gameplay is tight and the overall atmosphere will keep you jumping if you don't believe me play it by yourself at night with the surround sound on

guynamedyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 guynamedyeah
Member since 2006 • 778 Posts

Wow. Many people lately have been considering Bioshock scary. Kinda goes to show why the horror genre is dying out. :| Bioshock is not scary, RE5 is not scary, and Dead Space is not scary. Dead Space is engrossing, which can lead to you being startled by the occasional pop-out thrill. I don't consider anything in it to be truly scary. raven_squad

whats your definition of 'scary' then? all of you seem to be either be too proud to give note to something or are so affected by the internet that artistic values like immersion and 'occasional pop-out thrill' don't connect to the word scary. with different words, you are saying dead space is the scariest out of the three, but you cant say it like that. also its not the horror genre thats dying out, its the sensibilities of humanity thats dying out. we all find 'things' online, and most of it doesnt bother most of us...when it should. you have to understand that movies can only go so far,but videogames can keep going, until what we wish to be in a game is seen as an "A" rating by the esrb.dead space would of caused an uproar 5 years ago, because of the depth of fear in which is works off of.artisticallydead space would be considered exactly what a videogame can do with fear. pros and cons.

i played the demo of dead space, i love how they kill you no matter what, just to show they will. lol

resident evil stopped trying, made the game how its always should of been. action, with zombie like things...

i dont like bioshock very much, i probably would if i played through but ehh to fps..

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raven_squad

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]Wow. Many people lately have been considering Bioshock scary. Kinda goes to show why the horror genre is dying out. :| Bioshock is not scary, RE5 is not scary, and Dead Space is not scary. Dead Space is engrossing, which can lead to you being startled by the occasional pop-out thrill. I don't consider anything in it to be truly scary. guynamedyeah

whats your definition of 'scary' then? all of you seem to be either be too proud to give note to something or are so affected by the internet that artistic values like immersion and 'occasional pop-out thrill' don't connect to the word scary. with different words, you are saying dead space is the scariest out of the three, but you cant say it like that. also its not the horror genre thats dying out, its the sensibilities of humanity thats dying out. we all find 'things' online, and most of it doesnt bother most of us...when it should. you have to understand that movies can only go so far,but videogames can keep going, until what we wish to be in a game is seen as an "A" rating by the esrb.dead space would of caused an uproar 5 years ago, because of the depth of fear in which is works off of.artisticallydead space would be considered exactly what a videogame can do with fear. pros and cons.

i played the demo of dead space, i love how they kill you no matter what, just to show they will. lol

resident evil stopped trying, made the game how its always should of been. action, with zombie like things...

i dont like bioshock very much, i probably would if i played through but ehh to fps..

What are you talking about? :lol: Are you essentially say I'm desensitized? Because just coming forth with the word would have been a whole lot easier. I think a truly scary experience will leave you effected after the game has been turned off. Make you scared to be in the bathroom with the door shut and the lights off. Make you see frightening imagery when you close your eyes. Thats the survival horror I've enjoyed. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, they know how to put together a horror game. If you consider some atmospheric lighting in a dark room, and a monster sneaking up on you to be the best of the survival horror genre, then something has gone terribly wrong somewhere.
guynamedyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 guynamedyeah

[QUOTE="guynamedyeah"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]Wow. Many people lately have been considering Bioshock scary. Kinda goes to show why the horror genre is dying out. :| Bioshock is not scary, RE5 is not scary, and Dead Space is not scary. Dead Space is engrossing, which can lead to you being startled by the occasional pop-out thrill. I don't consider anything in it to be truly scary. raven_squad

What are you talking about? :lol: Are you essentially say I'm desensitized? Because just coming forth with the word would have been a whole lot easier. I think a truly scary experience will leave you effected after the game has been turned off. Make you scared to be in the bathroom with the door shut and the lights off. Make you see frightening imagery when you close your eyes. Thats the survival horror I've enjoyed. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, they know how to put together a horror game. If you consider some atmospheric lighting in a dark room, and a monster sneaking up on you to be the best of the survival horror genre, then something has gone terribly wrong somewhere.

thats actually called a traumatic experience. which when you were younger was easier to achieve. i was going for the term americanized, being that its across the board on what common 'youth' sees after total immersion and feined ignorance toward reality. its a basic mass mental change from a world where all information is at grasp, where you can watch someone commit suicide online. its basic psychology. i'm not getting on you by the way! just playing devils advocate with the forum.

guynamedyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 guynamedyeah

thats actually called a traumatic experience. which when you were younger was easier to achieve. i was going for the term americanized, being that its across the board on what common 'youth' sees after total immersion and feined ignorance toward reality. its a basic mass mental change from a world where all information is at grasp, where you can watch someone commit suicide online. its basic psychology. i'm not getting on you by the way! just playing devils advocate with the forum.

oh and by using the term it doesnt make people think. =P no ones desensitized really, its just a mass effect on american culture. when everones doing it, you can't really single one out.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 raven_squad

[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="guynamedyeah"]

guynamedyeah

Problem is, I wasn't young when I played them. :P The last game that truly left me scared, Silent Hill 3, came out when I was 16, and it still scares me to this day. As far as the rest of that goes, oh boy. I'm far to tired to even begin to comprehend that. I'll come back to it in the morning and possibly pose a decent counter-argument. :P
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="guynamedyeah"]

Wow. Many people lately have been considering Bioshock scary. Kinda goes to show why the horror genre is dying out. :| Bioshock is not scary, RE5 is not scary, and Dead Space is not scary. Dead Space is engrossing, which can lead to you being startled by the occasional pop-out thrill. I don't consider anything in it to be truly scary. raven_squad

Agreed. I don't find something scary unless it actually effects me phycologically. And occasional pop-up monster every now and then won't get me, so I don't consider it scary. I guess it just depends on your definition of the word. At best those games are atomospherically creepy. Scary... no.
guynamedyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 guynamedyeah

[QUOTE="guynamedyeah"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"] What are you talking about? :lol: Are you essentially say I'm desensitized? Because just coming forth with the word would have been a whole lot easier. I think a truly scary experience will leave you effected after the game has been turned off. Make you scared to be in the bathroom with the door shut and the lights off. Make you see frightening imagery when you close your eyes. Thats the survival horror I've enjoyed. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, they know how to put together a horror game. If you consider some atmospheric lighting in a dark room, and a monster sneaking up on you to be the best of the survival horror genre, then something has gone terribly wrong somewhere. raven_squad

Problem is, I wasn't young when I played them. :P The last game that truly left me scared, Silent Hill 3, came out when I was 16, and it still scares me to this day. As far as the rest of that goes, oh boy. I'm far to tired to even begin to comprehend that. I'll come back to it in the morning and possibly pose a decent counter-argument. :P

pshhh you can't bring that game in! thats the scariest game made, foul!

=]

me and my friends study this stuff, and its across the board. i love horror, but the more we live, the more it dies.

guynamedyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 guynamedyeah

i'm definitely with you on a lot, the 'japanese horror' which is actually scary, because its intelligently put together, 'not scary', but overbearing cuz it strikes chords. i'm talking in terms to our culture and its idea of horror. and dead space is given the word 'scary'. because of three trends: being closed in, not knowing whats coming, not knowing how to win. you have to destroy the enemies completely, which seems like a device to connect to the idea of "theres no way to win, i have to destroy the entire thing just in case" its a game you call scary, just because they went that far, because what it could do to the genre. now people are going to play that have to compete, and maybe even learn to 'strike that chord' that the japanese are so good at.

gedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gedo
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
Resident evil had it's moments, well at least for me because I played some of the old resident evil games and sometimes I was expecting something to happen but it never did. Bioshock was kinda of creepy at the beginning but the more you play it the more you get in the mood and expect what's going on, plus you become a force of nature that most enemies cannot handle you. About dead space, I only played the demo and I kind of liked that. The dismemberment thing was kind of a cool mechanic, it looked scary but I cannot judge because I was thrown in the middle of the action, they didn't lead me into this situation I was just there to kill some monsters.
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

Dead Space is scarier to me than Bioshock and Resident Evil.

stinkyfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 stinkyfriend
Member since 2007 • 1325 Posts
i would recommend dead space and bioshock but re5 idunno kind of a dissapointment but still decent gameplay
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I didn't think it was scary at all, but I'm not scared easily I guess.

Note that Dead Space isn't even close to the level of quality that you get from Bioshock, though. It's very linear, the story is incredibly weak. The dismemberment aspect of it is pretty cool and the Zero-G and Vacuum environments are cool, but the weapons are kinda lame too. I'd give it a 7/10, using Gamespot's system of anything under 8 not being worth $60.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 raven_squad

I didn't think it was scary at all, but I'm not scared easily I guess.

Note that Dead Space isn't even close to the level of quality that you get from Bioshock, though. It's very linear, the story is incredibly weak. The dismemberment aspect of it is pretty cool and the Zero-G and Vacuum environments are cool, but the weapons are kinda lame too. I'd give it a 7/10, using Gamespot's system of anything under 8 not being worth $60.

Generic_Dude
I thought the weapons were one of the better aspects, myself. :P
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts

I played Dead Space in the dark, with surround sound.

And I was actually shaking with fear at certain parts of the game. :cry:

mattyperkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattyperkins
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

deadspace = scary

bioshock = creepy and disturbing

re5 = instense and a stressfull feel

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
It's scarier, but not that scary. It has some moments that may make you jump though. Bioshock and RE5 aren't even scary btw...AT ALL
ScarfaceCEO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ScarfaceCEO
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Dead space is full of unpredictable mutated freaks jumping out of the wood work and a couple really massive level bosses. The unpredictability of something jumping out and the scarce amount of ammo left me scared at times but the most chilling part for me was in the escape pod at the end of the game. Aside from all that the backround sounds were really freaky. Bioshock is also a scary one, eerie thirties music and a engrossing storyline with random flashbacks in the middle of your gameplay(which I thought was awesome). Both are scary in their own ways, for those that just are not scared I think it is safe to say these are two of the scariest titles out and I am sorry for your dissapointment. Then again surround sound and really big high resolution tvs probably also improve the experience greatly.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

Wow, talk about raising the bar for scary eh? If it totally doesn't screw your life up for the next week or so its not scary? We have to be so analitical on what defines scary and whats just creepy. Lets get down to the nitty gritty and actually look at what the poster is asking. Out of the three, Dead Space is the scariest. End of story.

Now if you want to get into it and say "how scary are they?", well thats pretty dependant on how much gore you have seen already, your age, how many scary movies you have seen and how easily you get scared. Will you need a therapist...probably not. Will any of these titles make you jump...yeah probably somewhere in the game everyone gets a jump from all the titles.

If you want to BE scared, set the mood yourself. Don't play a game with a bunch of things going on in the background, mid-day with your buddies over. Play it late at night, unlock the door behind you or open a window. Turn up the volume and sit closer to the TV. Turn off the lights and expect a good time. You will be surprized at what games scare you! I don't think there is any game that will scare you if you simply don't get into it.

tatersaladninja

karnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 karnis
Member since 2004 • 1825 Posts

deadspace is pretty damn scary but fun it's a must buy

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
If you want a REALLY scary game buy the old Resident Evil games(the ones before RE4) those were creepy as hell! Mainly because you only had a knife or pistol and were extremely vulnerable.
TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

Dead Space is scarier than Bioshock and RE5.

RE5 simply is not scary but Bioshock has some pretty eerie moments in it. I can see why Dead Space was described as 'Rature in Space'.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I only played the demo of Dead Space, but it is a lot scarier than both of those games

GSgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 GSgirl
Member since 2008 • 581 Posts

Just little bit more

iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iamshivy
Member since 2007 • 3565 Posts

this is so true. altho i sstill think bioshock has a more horror feel to it then deadspace.. i dont even concider re5 to be in the horror type games

iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iamshivy

If you want a REALLY scary game buy the old Resident Evil games(the ones before RE4) those were creepy as hell! Mainly because you only had a knife or pistol and were extremely vulnerable. anime_gamer007
i was really gonna buy A gme cube just to play the remake. but aw it never happened. ill also toss up on your list dino crisis, silent hill and if your into that *** horror type movies like the ring or what ever, fatal fram.(i still thought that game was pretty boring. imean all you do is take pic's of ghosts lol

TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]If you want a REALLY scary game buy the old Resident Evil games(the ones before RE4) those were creepy as hell! Mainly because you only had a knife or pistol and were extremely vulnerable. iamshivy

i was really gonna buy A gme cube just to play the remake. but aw it never happened. ill also toss up on your list dino crisis, silent hill and if your into that *** horror type movies like the ring or what ever, fatal fram.(i still thought that game was pretty boring. imean all you do is take pic's of ghosts lol

Shame about the GC, you missed out! The RE remake was by far the scariest game of the series.

iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iamshivy

[QUOTE="iamshivy"]

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]If you want a REALLY scary game buy the old Resident Evil games(the ones before RE4) those were creepy as hell! Mainly because you only had a knife or pistol and were extremely vulnerable. TheCraving

Shame about the GC, you missed out! The RE remake was by far the scariest game of the series.

dont rub it in . plz lol.

herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 herukuti
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

deadspace is so scary that if you want the platinum trophy you have to suspend your fear. bioshock is less scary than condemed and re4 was good but i havent played re5

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#40 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Bioshock and RE5 are not really that scary. Dead Space however is so atmospheric and very enjoyable. Get it, because you will not regret it! :)

RareDominic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RareDominic
Dead Space is yes scarier than RE5 and Bioshock. Dead Space is scarier than both those games because both of those games you kill things that are similar to humans so mentally you don't find it as scary as killing necromorphs in Dead Space, and Dead Space is a ton darker game than both those so all you have in Dead Space is to hear or to be a baby and shoot the brightness level all the way up, and i'm telling you if you do that then you won't have as much fun as you wwould of in a darker brightness level. My opinion yes Dead Space is scarier than both Bioshock and RE5.
EnaVRi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 EnaVRi
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts

YES... But Dead Space isn't that scary but if you compared to bioshock and RE5... yup it has more scares...

lukas1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lukas1051
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts
Condemned 2. 'Nuf said.
scanny2604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 scanny2604
i also think dead space is scary but FEAR is supposed to be scary to but ive never actually played FEAR
josh494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#45 josh494
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts
It's the only game to ever scare me.
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#46 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

Is Dead Space a good game? And does it have trophies?