Is anyone hyping Afrika?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wave360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wave360
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts

I just saw a gameplay trailer and it seems its going to PWN the Wii's endles ocean... Is anyone hyping this? And when is the release date?

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
I'm not hyping it because I don't know WTF it is.
DEF_JUX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DEF_JUX
Member since 2008 • 78 Posts
explain this game to me
DoctorBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 DoctorBadass
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts
It's GOTY material obviously
tonyandsteff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tonyandsteff
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

here'es the explaination

You're in Africa.. and you walk around.... You cant get eaten, you cant punch, kick, throw, break stuff, shoot anything, nothing. YOU WALK AROUND... Your weapon of choice? A &$%& camera.... yes, you can take pictures of stuff.

Much like the over rated Endless Ocean for wii.. You swim around and thats it. You can touch fish, and they swim away!!!!

DoctorBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DoctorBadass

here'es the explaination

You're in Africa.. and you walk around.... You cant get eaten, you cant punch, kick, throw, break stuff, shoot anything, nothing. YOU WALK AROUND... Your weapon of choice? A &$%& camera.... yes, you can take pictures of stuff.

Much like the over rated Endless Ocean for wii.. You swim around and thats it. You can touch fish, and they swim away!!!!

tonyandsteff

Like i said, GOTY

DEF_JUX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DEF_JUX
hmm...that being said, i think i would rather watch paint dry.
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts

here'es the explaination

tonyandsteff

Just out curiosity, is that all you thing a game should involve? Punching, kicking, throwing, shooting, and breaking things? I realize that Afrika won't be everybody's cup of tea, but I think it's a cool idea nonetheless. Like Endless Ocean for the Wii, it will give people the opportunity to do something they would probably never have the chance to do. That being said, if you think the game is so tame, I would love to see you go parading around the African savannah with just a camera. Would you do it? I doubt it.

People need to be a little more open-minded about what a video game should be. If it doesn't interest you, fine, but don't make people feel stupid for looking forward to it. I can't wait to see how the game turns out. I guess I'm a wimp.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts
I think it looks sweet.. I can't wait till it's released! :D
the_new_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_new_neo
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
I would hype it, except I make it a general habit of mine not to hype crappy games.
DoctorBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DoctorBadass

I think it looks sweet.. I can't wait till it's released! :DQuadrifoglio

:\ Thats a joke...right?

>.< Oh god

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
I thought it was abot poaching animals :lol:
truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

I'm not hyping it because I don't know WTF it is.rogerjak

lol :P

Will see what it is in time.

the_new_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_new_neo

Maybe, just maybe, I might be sort-of, kind-of nearly, half-hyping it if you could shoot the animals, or shoot people shooting the animals, or shoot the people shooting people shooting animals... but you can just shoot: a camera. yay.

sorry, afrika, your not getting hyped by me anyway.

DoctorBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DoctorBadass
Killzone 2 needs to watch its back
the_new_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_new_neo

Killzone 2 needs to watch its backDoctorBadass

yeah, some safari dude might come up behind it and..... take a picture of it!!!

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

So long as you dont get eaten while doing so. And have to pull out the double barrel lol. :P Maybe?? LOL

Jurassic park was about viewing dinosaurs also. :P

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
It looks awesome, and it's one of the reasons I bought a PS3, but I might not have time to play it, as I have to keep up with 5 consoles and PC along with irl stuff.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

I don't understand... why a camera??? I know the game is trying to emulate what a Safari would feel like, but once we're there, why not take it to where players can't go, like actually hunting animals since it's now forbidden.

Oh but they had to give us a camera!!!!!

If I wanted animal pictures, I'd google them on the Internet.

I would hype it, except I make it a general habit of mine not to hype crappy games.the_new_neo

Danm!! get out of my head, dude!!!!

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

It looks awesome, and it's one of the reasons I bought a PS3, but I might not have time to play it, as I have to keep up with 5 consoles and PC along with irl stuff.Staryoshi87

I agree with you Star,
looks amazing, like some no brain fun, pretty graphics and what not,
and, I'd rather shoot endangered species with a camera than a gun, even virtually :)

g4merkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 g4merkid
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts

Well, I't will "PWN" Wiis "Endless Ocean" but not any other game..Because like "Endless Ocean", it doesnt seem like much of a game. It's like Pokemon Snap!

MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MyzeDivine
Member since 2007 • 916 Posts

Believe it or not, there are people with different tastes in games. If the graphics look like they do in the trailers, the game will have a fan base. It's the type of game that will have amazing appeal to the casual type that usually wouldn't play video games. Maybe some of you haven't noticed, but Animal Planet, the Discovery Channel, National Geographic, etc. are fairly popular, and this game seems like it's an attempt to make one of those shows interactive.

Just because some of you can't grasp how others would like the game, doesn't mean it's "crap," especially since we don't know much about the gameplay at this time. Learn to be able to accept other people's idea of entertainment, even if you don't consider it so. No one will force you to play it, it's safe to say.

Most likely I will not purchase this game, but watching the trailers does make me interested and I can definitely see the game being a sleeper hit. I don't fall into the target audience of the game, so even developing interest in the game for me is an accomplishment on their part. It's the type of game that gets publicized on the news, in a good way, and those types of games are few and far between.

tonyandsteff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tonyandsteff
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

ok then well put out 2 versions of afrika - one where you walk around and take pictures and one where you are on a dangerous safari instead. Cabelas is alright, especially the dangerous hunts games, however, it'd be more fun if you were an african guide and you need to guide tourists or scientists or SOMETHING through the wilderness and keep them protected from the wildlife. Maybe THEY are taking pictures and WE need to protect them. Sorry but with very little or no plot, no way to really lure me in, there's no need for hype.

I realize that this means my tastes are different from others. However, game manufacturers typically make the best games that appeal to the majority, because they ARE looking to make money and all... What would be the point of making a game that not everyone wanted??? There's no profit in targeting the opposing demograph, and where there's no profit, there's no business. The game will flop and it will have been a waste of time and money.

Wow, all that and I don't even have a degree....

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
Nobody knows what it is. I'll buy it if it lets me poach Elephants. I'm not sure, but I don't think I can do that in the rl, so I need something to unload all of my elephant poaching desires on.
MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MyzeDivine

ok then well put out 2 versions of afrika - one where you walk around and take pictures and one where you are on a dangerous safari instead. Cabelas is alright, especially the dangerous hunts games, however, it'd be more fun if you were an african guide and you need to guide tourists or scientists or SOMETHING through the wilderness and keep them protected from the wildlife. Maybe THEY are taking pictures and WE need to protect them. Sorry but with very little or no plot, no way to really lure me in, there's no need for hype.

I realize that this means my tastes are different from others. However, game manufacturers typically make the best games that appeal to the majority, because they ARE looking to make money and all... What would be the point of making a game that not everyone wanted??? There's no profit in targeting the opposing demograph, and where there's no profit, there's no business. The game will flop and it will have been a waste of time and money.

tonyandsteff

There is no such thing as a game that everyone wants. Developers definitely make lots of games that don't appeal to the majority. This game is not meant for FPS fans. Again, you are so defined by your playstyles you automatically assume there is no market for this type of game and that it will flop.

The game is not a system seller, that's for sure. However, many many people have bought a ps3 for the blu-ray player and have no interest in games. Those are the type of people that might buy this game, and wouldn't any other. Also, regardless of how boring or stupid you think the game will be, it will get press coverage if it is realistic enough, and it will be positive coverage, unlike 99% of the time when a video game is in the news.

Again, why is it so hard to believe that this game might be a sleeper hit? Also, everyone is jumping to conclusions about how the game will play, even though we have very little info about it. If you don't want to hype up the game, because you aren't interested in the game style, that's fine. However, there is no reason to speak for everyone and claim the game a failure well before it's released, and thus not warranting any hype. The majority of people that would hype this game probably wouldn't spend much time on these forums. I am excited to see where this game ends up. Even if at the moment I don't have strong plans to purchase it, I will be keeping an open mind and hope that it can impress.

brando_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brando_09
Member since 2007 • 151 Posts
[QUOTE="tonyandsteff"]

MyzeDivine

There is no such thing as a game that everyone wants. Developers definitely make lots of games that don't appeal to the majority. This game is not meant for FPS fans. Again, you are so defined by your playstyles you automatically assume there is no market for this type of game and that it will flop.

The game is not a system seller, that's for sure. However, many many people have bought a ps3 for the blu-ray player and have no interest in games. Those are the type of people that might buy this game, and wouldn't any other. Also, regardless of how boring or stupid you think the game will be, it will get press coverage if it is realistic enough, and it will be positive coverage, unlike 99% of the time when a video game is in the news.

Again, why is it so hard to believe that this game might be a sleeper hit? Also, everyone is jumping to conclusions about how the game will play, even though we have very little info about it. If you don't want to hype up the game, because you aren't interested in the game style, that's fine. However, there is no reason to speak for everyone and claim the game a failure well before it's released, and thus not warranting any hype. The majority of people that would hype this game probably wouldn't spend much time on these forums. I am excited to see where this game ends up. Even if at the moment I don't have strong plans to purchase it, I will be keeping an open mind and hope that it can impress.

I agree with about everything you said. I can't beleive ther are so many dumb people out ther, and why do games always hav to be about killing with sum of you? Its sumthing differrent, we need more variety as it is. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy FPS games too, but thers no need to jump to conclusions when you know nothing about the game or because your a FPS fanboy. Give it a chance.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ea874e06483b
deactivated-5ea874e06483b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ea874e06483b
Member since 2006 • 2896 Posts
hmm...that being said, i think i would rather watch paint dry.DEF_JUX

LOOL xD
mechworrior762

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mechworrior762
Member since 2007 • 1763 Posts

here'es the explaination

tonyandsteff

Like DoctorBadass said, GOTY. LOL.

I'm with Tony: It would be way more awesome if they added a Turok element to it: e.g. punching, kicking, knifing, breaking stuff, knifing, trying to avoid being eaten by vicous African animals, knifing, shooting, knifing, and sniping the animals, clubbing them with your gun, knifing them, pulling them off you as they try to rip you to shreds and/or gore you and throwing them on the ground, breaking their back, knifing them, grabbing and twisting the head, breaking the neck, and knifing them would be but a few possible improvements that could be made. Instead of walking around and looking at all the pretty, harmless animals, and taking pictures of them.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#29 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
I'm interested in the game and would be more excited about it if they explained it more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
I've only heard about it recently and that its supposed to have amazing graphics but my question is what do you do? Feed animals? Because if thats the case im not buying it
MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MyzeDivine

I've only heard about it recently and that its supposed to have amazing graphics but my question is what do you do? Feed animals? Because if thats the case im not buying itavataraang1

Well, considering there are Hippos, Lions and Hyenas, if you are feeding them, you are feeding them your own limbs. I have a feeling that would greatly improve this game's chances of selling based on most of the responses in this thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

[QUOTE="avataraang1"]I've only heard about it recently and that its supposed to have amazing graphics but my question is what do you do? Feed animals? Because if thats the case im not buying itMyzeDivine

Well, considering there are Hippos, Lions and Hyenas, if you are feeding them, you are feeding them your own limbs. I have a feeling that would greatly improve this game's chances of selling based on most of the responses in this thread.

Lol if thats not it then just watching animals.... Thats always fun.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#33 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
No offense to this game, but I simply need a gripping storyline/music.
chiknmhf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chiknmhf2
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
its like buying oblivion to walk around, which is the sum of the game. liked daggerfall and morrowind better, but i ahve yet to play the special edition. but i digress.. africa sounds neat but not too playable, so if you are a stroke victim this is right up your alley.
virgothoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 virgothoth
Member since 2007 • 72 Posts
im not exactly sure what the game is about either so i cant tell if i will like it or not yet but i did read somehwere that maybe it would somehow tie into home as in once you meet up with other friends you could..ya know...go to afrika and hang out or something..i dunno.
chiknmhf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chiknmhf2
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

im not exactly sure what the game is about either so i cant tell if i will like it or not yet but i did read somehwere that maybe it would somehow tie into home as in once you meet up with other friends you could..ya know...go to afrika and hang out or something..i dunno.virgothoth

it might market to me if you could drink a ton of beer and do lued things to animal corpses. i watch too much tv....

SikKwuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SikKwuN
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts

xD i love your sig avataraang

im excited for it. if it's anything like pokemon snap, which i loved, then it prob will be hella challenging. ie. taking pictures of gazelle before they leap away. not being noticed, making a sound. now if only those animals also will be surprized and show an exclamation and a question mark over their heads ala kojima style :D. point being, im genuinly excited for this game.

DEF_JUX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DEF_JUX

I've only heard about it recently and that its supposed to have amazing graphics but my question is what do you do? Feed animals? Because if thats the case im not buying itavataraang1

hahah feed animals...what a game

"awww man, im havin problems feeding the snapping turtles in level 6, any suggestions?"

Rhetorix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rhetorix
Member since 2003 • 208 Posts
I think it will be interesting to see more about this game. Still no one really knows very much about the game. You could still die if you get too close to a lion or startle it or something. Dont shake it off so soon. Also theres plenty of games out there with little to know plot. I.E. most to all puzzle games, Sim City, even LIttle Big Planet doesn't have a plot. Im sure there will be some story or at least a background, but I agree with you that there needs to be some other motivation in the game besides just taking nice pictures. Wait untill more info comes out.