This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts

Hi there,

I plan on purchasing a PS3 and was looking at getting the 40GB model and was wondering if that is typically a sufficient amount of space?

I don't download movies or any type of media for the most part, I really only save game/settings/profile data. I know you can change it out and I know about the good deal on the MGS4-80GB bundle but I can't find it anywhere and to be honest, I'm not the biggest MGS fan and don't need that game right now. Any input would be appreciated.

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts
I have an 80 GB and I wish I had more HD space. My friend bought a 40 GB and he complains about it all the time, some of the game utility data can be 4 to 5 GBs
EvilStealth64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 EvilStealth64
Member since 2006 • 984 Posts
i have a 60 gig, and you start out with 55gb (even though it says 60gig, you can see this under system settings) and i have 45 left. I have lots of music and pics on it, and maybe 20 vids, soo i would say 40 is enough, even though some games are multiple gigs on the install.
-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Dionysus-

i have a 60 gig, and you start out with 55gb (even though it says 60gig, you can see this under system settings) and i have 45 left. I have lots of music and pics on it, and maybe 20 vids, soo i would say 40 is enough, even though some games are multiple gigs on the install.EvilStealth64

Alright thank you.

LittleYoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 LittleYoshi
Member since 2004 • 1490 Posts
no not really.......get the 80 (if you want to be able to play PS2 games anyways) u can always later on get a larger HDD upgrade later on.....
-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Dionysus-

no not really.......get the 80 (if you want to be able to play PS2 games anyways) u can always later on get a larger HDD upgrade later on.....LittleYoshi

I used to have a PS2 and honestly I played most of the games I'd want to death so it's not that big of a priority to me.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
no 40g is not enough. i mean if you delete old games ect to make room then you can make it work but its a pain. IF you dont care much about playing PS2 game you can get a 40g moddle and then order a 250 gig HDD from say newegg.com ect for the same price as you would have paid for the 80g moddle alot of times thay have HDD's on sale as well. even if you wanted to say get a 160 gig for around 60 bucks then there u go. and changeing HDD's is VERY simple. if you can snap two lego's togather you can change a HDD lol. In fact with nearly all new games taking 4 gigs and up install space plus demos,trailers and downloadble games you will run out of space even with 80 gigs. but now if playn PS2 games counts to you then the 80 gig is the way to go.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wild_Card
A side note. i dont know for how much it counts but the 40g moddle has the newer cell cpu that runs cooler and use's less power. has a more silent fan as well. weather or not that will make any differnces i'm not sure but less heat in electronics is always a good thing.
Nephasth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nephasth
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

^^ Did they improve the 80 gig to do that as well?

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wild_Card
no iirc the 40 is the first it uses the 65nm size.the 80 uses the 90nm but i could be wrong, in fact thay are getting close to releasing a even newer version of cell wich reduced the die size to 42nm. i dout we will see it before xmas and most likely it will be in a new bundle/HDD size version.
thenorminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thenorminator
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
yes the 40GB is enough.