Internet on PS3 error? IP Address time out? Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by trav_have (5709 posts) -

Okay my internet isnt working with wired connection. Its connected through to the same router this computer I am using is on. Whenever I try the connection settings thing, it times out and says failed at IP Address. Whats wrong? It was working a couple days ago...:(.

PLEASse HELP. 

#2 Posted by jackle2071 (5477 posts) -
your computer and you PS3 may be using the same IP. which wont work cuz only one system can have that IP so your router is cutting the PS3 off! what you could do is this. unplug your router and plug it back in see if that fixes the problem. or unplug your computer from the network and see if your PS3 as accses then. try that out then get back to me
#3 Posted by trav_have (5709 posts) -
your computer and you PS3 may be using the same IP. which wont work cuz only one system can have that IP so your router is cutting the PS3 off! what you could do is this. unplug your router and plug it back in see if that fixes the problem. or unplug your computer from the network and see if your PS3 as accses then. try that out then get back to mejackle2071
How come all the other computers work on that IP then and PS3 doesnt?
#4 Posted by jackle2071 (5477 posts) -
im not shore if this is your problem thats why i want you to unplug your computer too see if it is. when i had my 360 hooked up to my network my comp and the 360 where trying to share the same IP and thats not allowed! evry computer in your house has a Diffrent IP adress! if one system trys to copy the other it is denied internet acsess! but also try pluging the PS3 into abouther Port (if you can )
#5 Posted by trav_have (5709 posts) -
im not shore if this is your problem thats why i want you to unplug your computer too see if it is. when i had my 360 hooked up to my network my comp and the 360 where trying to share the same IP and thats not allowed! evry computer in your house has a Diffrent IP adress! if one system trys to copy the other it is denied internet acsess! but also try pluging the PS3 into abouther Port (if you can )jackle2071
Well. I unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the tower. There are 3 extra ports on the router, I tried all 3 and none worked. Since there are like 5 computers in this house(rofl)...maybe the reason it worked before was because one of the computers were turned off at the time I used it?
#6 Posted by jackle2071 (5477 posts) -
hmm mabe im not quite shore. did you try unpluging the router it self from the power supply? that could mabe rest it. but it could also in some cases caues some problems. it sounds like to me your router is giving you PS3 a bad IP adress. you could try to turn all the computers off in your house if you want to see if there is a conficstion there. if that does not work man i dont know what to tell you. you need to get your router to assing a new IP to your PS3 but its not really a computer so i dont know how do that with a PS3. im really sorry the only real thing i can offer to you is to keep messing with it.
#7 Posted by jackle2071 (5477 posts) -
or what you could do (and this kind of sux) you could get all the info off your PC. IP,submask ect. write all that down on a pice of paper then punch all that info into you PS3. the trade off here is now you really are sharing a IP on your network and only one machine at a time can be connected to the internet. just a thought.
#8 Posted by trav_have (5709 posts) -
or what you could do (and this kind of sux) you could get all the info off your PC. IP,submask ect. write all that down on a pice of paper then punch all that info into you PS3. the trade off here is now you really are sharing a IP on your network and only one machine at a time can be connected to the internet. just a thought. jackle2071
That sounds like something I dont want to do..lol :D. The thing Im doin right now though is using wireless, but its at like 65% and it sucks i cant even play games online cuz its so slow..but yeah. I dont get it cuz it was working with wired a couple days ago.. eh. I guess when I have the time, when everyone is outta the house, so nobody gets pissed off, ill turn all the comps off and try it out :(. lol. Maybe ill try the other router..thats means a bigger cable though...which means more money..eh.
#9 Posted by trav_have (5709 posts) -
[QUOTE="jackle2071"]or what you could do (and this kind of sux) you could get all the info off your PC. IP,submask ect. write all that down on a pice of paper then punch all that info into you PS3. the trade off here is now you really are sharing a IP on your network and only one machine at a time can be connected to the internet. just a thought. trav_have
That sounds like something I dont want to do..lol :D. The thing Im doin right now though is using wireless, but its at like 65% and it sucks i cant even play games online cuz its so slow..but yeah. I dont get it cuz it was working with wired a couple days ago.. eh. I guess when I have the time, when everyone is outta the house, so nobody gets pissed off, ill turn all the comps off and try it out :(. lol. Maybe ill try the other router..thats means a bigger cable though...which means more money..eh.

bump, n e other other help?
#10 Posted by bondps3 (512 posts) -
i had the same prob about a month ago and contacted sony after it was still going on for a couple days. they saidhat it may be just an error in your are or their is a prob with your psn, which ther was. but a day after it all worked out. so dont owrry in a day or two it will work.
#11 Posted by trav_have (5709 posts) -
i had the same prob about a month ago and contacted sony after it was still going on for a couple days. they saidhat it may be just an error in your are or their is a prob with your psn, which ther was. but a day after it all worked out. so dont owrry in a day or two it will work.bondps3
Oh, well that seems weird..lol. Hopefully you're right.
#12 Posted by cparson (25 posts) -
My Ip adress on my ps3 has timed out but when I was upstairs in my mom room with the ps3 every thing was working fine until I moved the ps3 and the computer downstairs
#13 Posted by CYB3RxCoW (25 posts) -
Hey, My PSN was working with the thener cable and now just suddenly its saying the IP address has times out why. I cant sign in! HELP
#14 Posted by Deaho (1003 posts) -

I was have the same problem and I found out that when I update my router it makes my ps3 connection doesn't work,so did u update ur router firmware or not and if not then look at the internet for updateing router but make sure it does fix the problem dont just update it so the problem dont go worse oki ,good luck :).

#15 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
I stopped the IP time out on my PS3 by assigning a single IP address to the PS3 that the PS3 is the only thing that will connect to this IP address. Had to manually enter the IP address in the PS3 buy going through the set-up again and configure the IP address on the router via the computor that is connected directly to the router. Here's a link to a forum that I found very helpful. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610541