INTERESTING NEWS: UI considers ps3 as a supercomputer as well

This topic is locked from further discussion.

washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 washimul
Member since 2006 • 841 Posts

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2007/02/04/ibm_taps_local_researchers_to_turn_playstation_3_chip_to_science

IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE:-

But Cell is a leap forward still – with nine processors on each chip, one general purpose and eight specialized at the kind of calculations that go into the graphical and other demands of cutting-edge gaming.

Cell also offers an advantage in faster and more direct control over the movement of data to keep those processors constantly busy, said Kale and Snir. In theory, a bunch of Cell processors clustered together could yield 50 times the peak performance of the same-sized regular PC cluster. Like PC chips, Cell, intended for a $500 game machine, is relatively cheap as well, offering a potentially impressive price-performance ratio.

UI reserachers are working on turning the

state-of-art computer chip at the heart of the

new Playstation into the kind of

high -performance supercomputer demanded

by today's science at all scales.

bored88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bored88
Member since 2004 • 4978 Posts
That's great. Now hurry up making good games, please.
Realtop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Realtop
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts
Don't know who to listen to, too many annoying fanboy kids around.
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 washimul

you dont listen..........you just read

cause the article was posted by UI.........a notable institution

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2007/02/04/ibm_taps_local_researchers_to_turn_playstation_3_chip_to_science

washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 washimul

but even after this

UI reserachers are working on turning the state-of-art computer chip at the heart of the

new Playstation into the kind of high -performance supercomputer demanded

by today's science at all scales.

u would have trolls arguing about ps3's power

Wii26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 Wii26
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts
The only problem is how long will it take people to get used to programming it?
I heard it's extremely tough to program for compared to the 360. Nonetheless, I always had faith in the PS3. Deep down, i've always been a sony lover.
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 washimul

yes thats what the article said ....it said that the CELL is 50x more powerful than the CORE 2 DUO in terms of raw power as well as running applications.............the raw power could be extracted but due to limitations of tools and compilers that performance has not been put into realtime apps.

but ofcourse RAPIDMIND SDK i believe can use atleast 50% of CELL's power making it 20s times more powerful than XENON/QUAD -CORE/CORE 2 DUO

CELL easily excels in HEAVY COMPUTATIONAL CALCULATIONS like FFT,CRYPTOGRAPHY,RAYCASTING,RAYTRACING....but in terms of handling AI/PHYSICS /GI(low computatonal apps) it is restrained due to unavailability of proper tools/compilers/SDK.

NOTE:- CELL could raycast and raytace at optimum FPS without compilers.....the PPE emulated MAC OS/XP at 15 and 4 fps without ........ the SPEs and a proper tools.

Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deyee
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
And what did you make this post from again? ;)

The PS3 is a gaming console, anyone that purchases the console for any other MAIN reason other than gaming seriously needs to get their priorities straight.
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts

still ppl say x360>PS3.

PS3 cell might be powerful...but so far all ps3 games looks meh....

washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 washimul

And what did you make this post from again? ;)

The PS3 is a gaming console, anyone that purchases the console for any other MAIN reason other than gaming seriously needs to get their priorities straight.
Deyee

did you read the article???

It said that CELL 's power is restrained in both gaming and reallife apps due to improper coding/proper compilers/proper API/difficulty in programming due to the lack of an optimized SDK.

the article was produced by UI in collaboration with IBM.

HAve you been looking at GUNDAM MUSOU........some sequences of teh GAME would have a million enemies per screen.!!!!!!!!

http://gundam-musou.jp/movie.html

washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 washimul

still ppl say x360>PS3.

joeychew

no they dont say that anymore.

they say x360s games look better..........but not the tech experts.

MS also does not say X360 is as powerful as ps3 anymore...........after RAPIDMIND's release of ps3 SDK and articles like this.

MS knows that after MARCH ,2007..............there is just total ps3 domination

Wii26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Wii26
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts

still ppl say x360>PS3.

joeychew

Compare PDZ to Resistance and come talk to me then. PDZ doesn't even compare in terms of graphics.
Plus it's a launch console man. 360 has been out for more then a year. What do you expect a 100 game library? Sony has money, but they aren't gods.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws. it's a great blu ray player though..
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 washimul

to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws. it's a great blu ray player though..danneswegman

ps3 is flawless unlike x360!!!!!! it suffers from 0 problems......no overheating issues by the way.

read the article>

it said that even in terms of gaming

the performance is

massive restrained

at the moment

UI is finding a

solution to that!!!!

janzaruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 janzaruk
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts
[QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws.

Serious flaws?!? such as.......
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
[QUOTE="janzaruk"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws.

It's not white, doesn't look like a tampon, and doesn't require clearance from the tower before take off.
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 washimul

[QUOTE="janzaruk"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws. emitsu97

It's not white, doesn't look like a tampon, and doesn't require clearance from the tower before take off.

good reply there!!!

see what i said earlier.........tht even after the publication of this article by UI some resistnace would surely come .............arguing x360 is a better machine????

surely people never give up arguing no matter how convincing the facts are???

I have heard trolls saying XENON is as powerful as CELL........SPEs cannot be tweaked for general purpose applications......even an FX 62/core 2 duo is more powerful than CELL????

clearly the article clears all confusion

UntoldDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UntoldDreams
Member since 2006 • 3238 Posts
At some point the PS3 will start to really flex its processing muscles and it *will* do things that other consoles simply can't match in graphics and physics.

Simply put?  The PS3 can put more physics bouncing rubber ducks on screen than any other console.  That is the power of the Cell and its not really open to debate among programmers.  This is simply accepted due to the Cell and its pipeline processing capabilities.

That doesn't mean it can do "everything" but at what the Cell was designed to do its obviously capable of a lot.

VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VonGak
Member since 2003 • 15399 Posts
[QUOTE="janzaruk"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws.

Beats me too, can find any scenario where CELL wouldn't have the upper hand.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Deyee

It said that CELL 's power is restrained in both gaming and reallife apps due to improper coding/proper compilers/proper API/difficulty in programming due to the lack of an optimized SDK.washimul

No, I didn't read the article. I don't care what the article says, I don't care what Sony wishes for their PS3 to be called. I'm picking up a PS3 in a couple weeks and I'm going to park the PS3 right next to my 360 (and Hopefully Wii if I can ever find one in stock) to play next-gen video games on my Samsung 56" DLP 1080p HDTV.

If I want to surf the web, check various forums, download music, burn CDs or DVDs, or play higher end next-gen games (UT 3, Crysis, Project Offset, Oblivion) I'll do that using my gaming PC, which is consequently hooked up to the same HDTV.

But if you want to use the PS3 for everything because you can't help your inner fanboy, then by all means go right ahead.
ZeLeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZeLeam
Member since 2006 • 726 Posts
[QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="janzaruk"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws.

Porting games from pc architectures maybe :)
darcom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darcom1
Member since 2004 • 1483 Posts
JA JA he is right, and the games?
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 washimul
[QUOTE="washimul"]did you read the article???

It said that CELL 's power is restrained in both gaming and reallife apps due to improper coding/proper compilers/proper API/difficulty in programming due to the lack of an optimized SDK.Deyee

No, I didn't read the article. I don't care what the article says, I don't care what Sony wishes for their PS3 to be called. I'm picking up a PS3 in a couple weeks and I'm going to park the PS3 right next to my 360 (and Hopefully Wii if I can ever find one in stock) to play next-gen video games on my Samsung 56" DLP 1080p HDTV.

If I want to surf the web, check various forums, download music, burn CDs or DVDs, or play higher end next-gen games (UT 3, Crysis, Project Offset, Oblivion) I'll do that using my gaming PC, which is consequently hooked up to the same HDTV.

But if you want to use the PS3 for everything because you can't help your inner fanboy, then by all means go right ahead.

see it hurts since you own a 360 and i guess u wd never buy a ps3 being a *** fanboy.

HAVOK 4.5 is fully optimizable only on ps3.......thx to CELL........the only other processor that might handle some features is CRAY X1 superscalar..

UT3 ,CRYSIS, OBLIVION,PO are just generic products...............u dont see see a million enemies per screen with individual AI..............u dont see physics.......full GI implementation or anything.

FF13 is the next gen game,HEAVENLY SWORD, MOTORSTORM ,MGS 4 are partial next gen.

hopefully the next installment of RESISTANCE would be full next gen........in order to see true next gen games i bet u wait till KILLZONE 3.

washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 washimul

[QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="janzaruk"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws. ZeLeam

why is porting difficult??

ans :- improper coding /api interface /programming mismatch related to hardware

Modbetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Modbetto
Member since 2006 • 775 Posts
I'm sayin this for months already.....
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Deyee
see it hurts since you own a 360 and i guess u wd never buy a ps3 being a *** fanboy.

HAVOK 4.5 is fully optimizable only on ps3.......thx to CELL........the only other processor that might handle some features is CRAY X1 superscalar..

UT3 ,CRYSIS, OBLIVION,PO are just generic products...............u dont see see a million enemies per screen with individual AI..............u dont see physics.......full GI implementation or anything.

FF13 is the next gen game,HEAVENLY SWORD, MOTORSTORM ,MGS 4 are partial next gen.

hopefully the next installment of RESISTANCE would be full next gen........in order to see true next gen games i bet u wait till KILLZONE 3.

washimul

Did you even read my post?

And I promise you that you'll NEVER see "a million enemies" on the PS3. Or any system, because that'd just be retarded.

I also find it HILARIOUS that you say FFXIII is fully next gen and Project Offset is generic.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

[QUOTE="Deyee"]And what did you make this post from again? ;)

washimul

It said that CELL 's power is restrained in both gaming and reallife apps due to improper coding/proper compilers/proper API/difficulty in programming due to the lack of an optimized SDK.

the article was produced by UI in collaboration with IBM.

HAve you been looking at GUNDAM MUSOU........some sequences of teh GAME would have a million enemies per screen.!!!!!!!!

http://gundam-musou.jp/movie.html

Let me take a quote from the Sony fanboys........ummmm can you say BIASED. Like anyone (besides Sony fanboys) would really believe anything when you see this " UI in collaboration with IBM.".

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't IBM design and build the Cell???? Hmmm sounds a bit biased to me.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't IBM design and build the Cell???? Hmmm sounds a bit biased to me.

kingtito

CELL is a microprocessor architecture jointly developed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM.  The "collaboration" could be UI getting tech details from IBM for their findings.
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 washimul
[QUOTE="washimul"]see it hurts since you own a 360 and i guess u wd never buy a ps3 being a *** fanboy.

Deyee

And I promise you that you'll NEVER see "a million enemies" on the PS3. Or any system, because that'd just be retarded.

I also find it HILARIOUS that you say FFXIII is fully next gen and Project Offset is generic.

a japanaese ps2 game named with O**** had 65k enemies per screen......dont even dispute ps3's power claim

PROJECT OFFSET>......is that a game????????

being compared to world's no 1 FF13 with the fusion of White engine(uses 4 spes for execution) and unreal 3.0..........

FF is the no1 game in the whole world of all time.

it has won the *** hearts.

and now the european/us hearts with FF13

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="emitsu97"][QUOTE="janzaruk"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws.

Looks like a tampon? What?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="Deyee"][QUOTE="washimul"]see it hurts since you own a 360 and i guess u wd never buy a ps3 being a *** fanboy.

washimul

a japanaese ps2 game named with O**** had 65k enemies per screen......dont even dispute ps3's power claim

PROJECT OFFSET>......is that a game????????

being compared to world's no 1 FF13 with the fusion of White engine(uses 4 spes for execution) and unreal 3.0..........

FF is the no1 game in the whole world of all time.

it has won the *** hearts.

and now the

Project Offset looks amazing bro.
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 washimul

UI stands for university of illinois.

the CELL processor was provided to them by IBM.

UI specialists(professors) tested the processor for its raw computational power and probable bottlenecks if existent.

IBM also developed XENON for x360 and they themselves said that it was atleast 1/10 as powerful as CELL in most applications.

i never knew that IBM lies blatantly like MS or SONY.

washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 washimul
i never said PO was bad but its nonethelesss next gen......it is good i agree
Absynthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Absynthetic
Member since 2004 • 1897 Posts

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/671376.html

heres berkeley saying the same thing, including link to the pdf of their report on their findings

what excites me about the cell most is that it has the potential for being used in medical and military equipment

http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2006/0130/076.html

Link_tha_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Link_tha_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts
i like chicken
washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 washimul

heres berkeley saying the same thing, including link to the pdf of their report on their findings

what excites me about the cell most is that it has the potential for being used in medical and military equipment

Absynthetic

UC/MIT/RAPIDMID and now UI......all these unbiased institutions agreed with SONY/IBM's claim of CELL being a supercomputer

washimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 washimul

i like chickenLink_tha_Gamer

are u chicken????

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts

Absynthetic
Haha i can see it now, someone coming here and saying, BERKELY DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING!!! Im a 35 year old man that lives in my mothers basement playing halo 2 with 13 year olds all day, and trust me, the xenon is the uberest most awesomest thing everrrrrr. Its all sony lies!!!!!
dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts

UI stands for university of illinois.

the CELL processor was provided to them by IBM.

UI specialists(professors) tested the processor for its raw computational power and probable bottlenecks if existent.

IBM also developed XENON for x360 and they themselves said that it was atleast 1/10 as powerful as CELL in most applications.

i never knew that IBM lies blatantly like MS or SONY.

washimul
Computational power has not been the limiting factors in game graphics for a long time... the limiting factors is the GPU and the overall bandwith, so unless you are planning to do scientific calculations (number crunching) on the PS3 you are out of luck.
RJ2000_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RJ2000_24
Member since 2003 • 195 Posts
[QUOTE="Absynthetic"]

longhorn7

Haha i can see it now, someone coming here and saying, BERKELY DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING!!! Im a 35 year old man that lives in my mothers basement playing halo 2 with 13 year olds all day, and trust me, the xenon is the uberest most awesomest thing everrrrrr. Its all sony lies!!!!!

Thats weird... I really thought this post was editted because I didn't know it was possible to be this pathetic, but anyway moving on to something relivant.

The point everyone is missing is that this powerful set will NOT propell your PS3 to open your facebook page faster when you use the web browser. It will give the programmers a lot more to work with and a challenge and almost unlimited room for their information such as AI, graphic detail, and etc. The big problem in the past (like Super Nintendo and stuff) was that the games were not big enough to add enough detail, but in my opinion the problem now is that we don't put enough time into a game, until it is shipped out before it was ready.

For example, Madden probably released prematurly and with this new systems out they should almost think about releasing every TWO years, but you know they won't because that would cost them BIG dollars, because they still know we will be "loyal" even though they are not being loyal to us. Another reason why they ship games early is just because they are not tested properly and blah blah that schpeel, but how do you test a game that takes 10 hours to complete? You almost have a spend 3 months nonstop testing it to get everything. I have gotten way off topic but theres my rant.

Ciocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ciocio313
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

yes thats what the article said ....it said that the CELL is 50x more powerful than the CORE 2 DUO in terms of raw power as well as running applications.............the raw power could be extracted but due to limitations of tools and compilers that performance has not been put into realtime apps.

but ofcourse RAPIDMIND SDK i believe can use atleast 50% of CELL's power making it 20s times more powerful than XENON/QUAD -CORE/CORE 2 DUO

CELL easily excels in HEAVY COMPUTATIONAL CALCULATIONS like FFT,CRYPTOGRAPHY,RAYCASTING,RAYTRACING....but in terms of handling AI/PHYSICS /GI(low computatonal apps) it is restrained due to unavailability of proper tools/compilers/SDK.

NOTE:- CELL could raycast and raytace at optimum FPS without compilers.....the PPE emulated MAC OS/XP at 15 and 4 fps without ........ the SPEs and a proper tools.

washimul

are you a computer genius?

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
[QUOTE="ZeLeam"][QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="janzaruk"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]to bad it's meant to be a gaming machine and not a pc..... as a gaming amchine it has some serious flaws.

well, that's one thing, but read the developer interviews.... it's really, really developer unfriendly (lots of complaints) and lets not forget the low *ss Ram for the textures... We all know that this will remain a problem trough it's life.... they are really just pushing blu ray with it. I can not believe that microsoft is more serious at making games than Sony is right now. They took a wrong turn.
hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts
Hopefully in time the obvious
power that the ps3 displays is
harnessed for what we really
want it to be used for..