inFAMOUS vs. Prototype? (Which one to buy)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-FlyLo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -FlyLo-
Member since 2009 • 2833 Posts

Alright I'm in need of a new game, and since I love sandbox games so much, I've been looking at these two. So which do you think is better?

PS. Please don't pick inFAMOUS just because its an exclusive, pick the game you've played (hopefully more than the demo) and enjoy more.

SmashingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 SmashingX
Member since 2007 • 625 Posts

I only own inFamous and haven't even played prototype, but i really think you'd like infamous. the graphics aren't great but it has perfect gameplay. 16 abilities, 30+ story missions, somewhere around 40-50 side missions i think, 350 blast shards to collect that make you be able to store more electricity to use for powers, and it's worth playing through twice to experience being good or evil, and worth playing hours just to goof around. great game.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

I think they're both pretty awesome but I personally think inFAMOUS has a little bit more... I guess, atmosphere.. I also like the overall action/fighting mechanism from inFAMOUS a little more.

Just a personal thing, though. Just rent the games if you're not sure.

Imaginative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Imaginative
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

I haven't played inFAMOUS but have beat Prototype. I enjoyed Prototype...but get inFAMOUS. It just sounds better.

-FlyLo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -FlyLo-
Member since 2009 • 2833 Posts

I think they're both pretty awesome but I personally think inFAMOUS has a little bit more... I guess, atmosphere.. I also like the overall action/fighting mechanism from inFAMOUS a little more.

Just a personal thing, though. Just rent the games if you're not sure.

Amster_G
I watched vids and like Prototype's combat/moving mechanics. Even if you can scale buildings like you can in inFAMOUS.
IPwnNooBs666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 IPwnNooBs666
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

I only own inFamous and haven't even played prototype, but i really think you'd like infamous. the graphics aren't great but it has perfect gameplay. 16 abilities, 30+ story missions, somewhere around 40-50 side missions i think, 350 blast shards to collect that make you be able to store more electricity to use for powers, and it's worth playing through twice to experience being good or evil, and worth playing hours just to goof around. great game.

SmashingX

I don't know about you but the graphics on inFamous looks fantastic on a HDTV. Back to topic, I never played Prototype but inFamous is really a great game. It's definitely worth a purchase.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

They are both great, but Prototype is better in my opnion.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
I haven't played Prototype yet so i can't say which one is better in my opinion, but i can tell you this, InFamous is a game you don't wanna miss out on. One of my favorite games for PS3.
saint_1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 saint_1995
Member since 2009 • 663 Posts
Whats a sandbox? I would have to go with inFAMOUS
Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I own and have played both games. I recommend inFAMOUS over Prototype. Prototype is fun for a while, but gets boring very fast.

DavidDisorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DavidDisorder
Member since 2009 • 148 Posts

I played both, but ended up buying Prototype because in my opinion it was a much better game.

The thing it comes down to in the end is do you enjoy being someone with electric powers, or viral infection inspired ones. Both games are different but they are both open world titles.

You can read my review on Prototype to get a better idea on how it pans out. But either way, you could rent them both and decide which you would like to get on a personal level.

inFamous was easy for me to get tired of. But I still cant put down the controller for prototype without being in a bad mood that I have to do so.

Satanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Satanized
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

SmashingX
40 Story missions. 84 side missions. 16 abilities+ the Gigawatt blades available with the special edition or on PSN. Only a 1.3GB Installation which takes like 1 minute. I fell through the world twice and managed to get stuck inside a building :(. The city feels alive, your posters will change the more Civilians feel towards you. Eg: If you go from Good to evil, your hero posters will have broken hearts and question marks on them. You have many options eg: person dieing on the ground, heal them, capture them, or absorb them. If you help the city, rubbish will die away and wooden planks will be removed from windows. On the other hand Prototype is okay but needs improvement. Eg: Alex who is disguised as an old man falls from a 20 story building and keeps walking,
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
InFamous. Rent Prototype if you must, but I won't recommend it for purchase.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

There is a boss fight towards the end of Prototype that almost forced me to lay down on train tracks and embrace my eventual death by locomotive with open arms. But even beside that boss fight, the game has a shallow, derivative, predictable story, unlikable characters, hideous visuals, and excessive gore to the point of being a gimmick. inFamous is vastly superior. I'm not going to lie, inFamous gets down right repetitive towards the end, and I had to take a break for a while. But the story, setting, and abilities are actually interesting and worth experiencing unlike Prototype.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

InFamous. Rent Prototype if you must, but I won't recommend it for purchase. Nephilim83

Infamous is way better

I made that mistakeof buying prototype:(

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"]InFamous. Rent Prototype if you must, but I won't recommend it for purchase. Solid_Link22

Infamous is way better

Yeah, me too. :( eBay is your friend, dude. There're still some suckers still paying nearly full price for it. I sold mine the third day I had it. Ian Lambert of Chicago, IL..... I apologize. :P
ShaolinSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShaolinSun
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
after beating infamous, i found myself wanting more, which is awesome, because you can play the evil side or good side the next time, and then get more trophies, and the moves you get on either side are different which makes it awesome... i would roll with infamous
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

[QUOTE="Solid_Link22"]

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"]InFamous. Rent Prototype if you must, but I won't recommend it for purchase. Nephilim83

Infamous is way better

Yeah, me too. :( eBay is your friend, dude. There're still some suckers still paying nearly full price for it. I sold mine the third day I had it. Ian Lambert of Chicago, IL..... I apologize. :P

lol :lol:

ssc604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ssc604
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts

i'd say prototype, 16 abilities? talk about lazy design, prototype has all the moves infamous has and more, cept shooting little lame lightning balls, don't believe the rest of these guys, who just like infamous cause its a exclusive, i mean infamous is just assasin's creed with lightning, at least in prototype i can highjack vehicles if i get to lazy to glide or bored of running up walls with civilians and doing a 1 mile high suplex of destruction, prototype is the way to go

emoticedmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emoticedmar
Member since 2008 • 352 Posts
both are good in their own ways :D but i prefer both imo.
Hunterstheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hunterstheking
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Having completed both games I would buy inFAMOUS as overall it was just better than Prototype it's worth renting Prototype or buying when it goes cheaper though.

enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

i'd say prototype, 16 abilities? talk about lazy design, prototype has all the moves infamous has and more, cept shooting little lame lightning balls, don't believe the rest of these guys, who just like infamous cause its a exclusive, i mean infamous is just assasin's creed with lightning, at least in prototype i can highjack vehicles if i get to lazy to glide or bored of running up walls with civilians and doing a 1 mile high suplex of destruction, prototype is the way to go

ssc604

OOOOOOOR just MAYBE, InFAMOUS is simply a better game with more solid gameplay. Geez everytime people say InFAMOUS is better they get labeled a fanboy by the [Prototype] fanboys.

Buy InFAMOUS if you want a good story, decent graphics, like shooters, and a game that's not too hard, not too easy.

Buy [Prototype] if you want a game with PS2 era graphics, like beat-em-up games, spikes in difficulty that will drive you MAD, want a vast list of move(90% of which you wont even use or remember you have).

[Prototype] has a few control issues as well.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

Option A: Use ratings. Go for the game that has better overall reviews; it scored better for a reason.

Option B: Which superpower do you think you'll have more fun with? Lightning or shape shifting?

Option C: Flip a coin.

ColonelRadec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ColonelRadec
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts
You should get inFamous.
TheJoeyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheJoeyness
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts

Prototype's control scheme (issues), repetitive gameplay, lack of depth, excessive gore, difficulty spikes, and overall gameplay became extremely repetitive entirely too quickly.

inFAMOUS on the other hand maintains a good balance throughout the entire duration. The controls are smooth, the graphics aren't to shabby, the gameplay is fun, and it has a great story! The one thing that I dislike is how sticky Cole's fingers are. Sometimes it's a little difficult to land a precision fall while attempting to get a blast shard because Cole is drawn to the nearest object that he can grab on to. Once you get used to it though it doesn't really become a problem.

x-l2eLeNtLeSs-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 x-l2eLeNtLeSs-
Member since 2009 • 458 Posts

there are to many of these threads on here check the other 100