Impressions on Splinter Cell HD...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Let me start by saying I have owned none of the original Splinter Cell games, I played the first one on PS2 a little when it launched but I never completed it and literally have no memory of it.

So, I was extremely hyped for this release after watching some YouTube videos on the series. The stealth genre is my favourite genre so I still can't believe I haven't got round to playing these. Anyway, time for the impressions.

I played the game for around 3 hours yesterday and am overall pretty impressed. It's definitely worth the £8.

Firstly, the visuals. The visual themselves are pretty darn good for a game that is a decade old. The textures look pretty impressive and there aren't any aliasing issues that I've noticed. I also haven't seen any screen tear what so ever. The character animation is a little clunky but that is to be expected I suppose. Texture pop in is non existant also.

There is one issue with the visuals however, the framerate is somewhat sporadic. The description on the PS Blog says all games are 60FPS but that doesn't seem to be entirely true. When in a small enclosed area, it is silky smooth. When in a slightly larger environment with more on screen, it does drop quite a lot. It is never unbearable or bad, but it is a shame since this is the first HD remake I've played that isn't consistantly smooth.

However, let me reinforce that it doesn't ruin the experience. It's a little disappointing but overall the visuals are nice. I haven't finished downloading PT or CT, but a friend tells me that PT looks a lot better.

Secondly, the CGI. The CGI has been completely unchanged and looks very dated, its watchable though. The sound quality of the CGI movies is pretty awful, but in game it is great.

Finally, I've seen questions regarding the quick save feature. Some people weren't sure if it was in the game. Well, it is. You can save and load from anywhere in the game.

In conclusion, it receives a thumbs up from me. I'm extremely looking forward to progressing into this game and so far its been more enjoyable than any game I've played in recent memory. Hurrah for last gen.

Piroshki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Piroshki
Member since 2011 • 242 Posts
You guys across the pond are lucky to get it early, and so suddenly! It was slated for September for both of us just recently. Hopefully they pull a surprise attack on the North America PSN soon as well. Thanks for the impressions, I always loved the SC games, fantastic atmosphere, and Micheal Ironside, of course!
BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
I love stealth games but this was way too hard for me back when I was 11. I might give it another try. Hopefully it's not too dated.
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
I'm enjoying it too. Though I am interested to know what visual difference there is between the original, PT and CT, as CT always looked good on PC, I wonder if it looks even better now?
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Asim90

Hopefully it's not too dated.BigBoss255

That's what I was worried about, but rest assured that it isn't. It actually holds up very well.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Great news. Love Splinter Cell games and played all three of them back in the day on PC. Unfortunately I don't have the disks anymore. Who knows where they are now. Could be lost in my previous house move. Either way. Look forward to purchasing them again. Thanks for being informative mate. ;)
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Gah, I'm so jealous of you. :P Too bad about the frame rate issues, but overall sounds pretty good.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I've never played them but I think I might get it. I love MGS and I think there is such a severe drought in the stealth genre that I'm willing to try them. You say they aren't dated so that makes me glad.
en3sge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 en3sge
Member since 2007 • 321 Posts

I would be really interested to know how chaos theory stands up, if anyone has played it yet.

Thats the only one I am getting anyway as it was epic on the xbox.

Are there still framerate problems with this? I hate inconsistent framerates.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts
Cool. Are the 3 bonus missions from the first Splinter Cell playable?
jocaju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jocaju
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts
Never played a SC game, but I was actually looking forward to buy them. Thanks for the impressions.
pascalf1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pascalf1
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, they're still the best Ubisoft Montreal games.

russiaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 russiaAK47
Member since 2011 • 447 Posts

why the hell did you get it early? damnint i want it now

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

I'm enjoying it too. Though I am interested to know what visual difference there is between the original, PT and CT, as CT always looked good on PC, I wonder if it looks even better now?GenTom

should look the same, PC's always played it in HD. THats why i may not buy the RE4 HD version for a long time as i alrady own it on PC and with patchs and mods its looks awesome. This is apparently a HD upgrade of the xbox version, and i only ever had the GCN versions which they cut out large sections of the game for GCN and PS2

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MethodManFTW

why the hell did you get it early? damnint i want it now

russiaAK47
its been out on UK PSN since Wednesday
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Pandora tomorrow is the best of the series, next to conviction. Chaos theory was relatively boring, actually, and I can't put a finger on it. Even greg kasavin, a former gamespot reviewer (and hte best reviewer of all time) gave the "tilt" rating (otherwise known as the fun factor rating) a 8/10. It's jsut average

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW

Pandora tomorrow is the best of the series, next to conviction. Chaos theory was relatively boring, actually, and I can't put a finger on it. Even greg kasavin, a former gamespot reviewer (and hte best reviewer of all time) gave the "tilt" rating (otherwise known as the fun factor rating) a 8/10. It's jsut average

glitch2424
I thought Chaos Theory was the best.. Great game play and encourages player choice, as opposed to the older splinter cells.. It's also the highest rated one on Metacritic..
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Sucks about the inconsistent framerate, but I'll probably download the first one at least whenever it becomes available on the US PSN. I remember playing the demo of the game for the Gamecube way back in the day, and it had some pretty interesting gameplay elements, but it's been quite a while since I first played it.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
IF and thats a big IF! THEY Let me play chaos theory online just like it was back in the day, then im down like a clown charlie brown
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

When does it suppose release in the USA?

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Asim90

Warriorboy1990
There has been no announcement for the US PSN version but the retail release it listed for the end of September.
BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"] Hopefully it's not too dated.Asim90

That's what I was worried about, but rest assured that it isn't. It actually holds up very well.

Ok I took your word and I'm downloading it now. Lol @ the guy who said Conviction was the best in the series, it was the worst game I played last year.
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Asim90

I'm around 8 hours into this game and oh my is it darn awesome. I cannot believe I didn't buy this before. Anyone reading this should go and buy Splinter Cell right now! It's one of the best games I've played this gen, and its a last gen game!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Warriorboy1990
The UK people are saying that you can't reverse the Y axis (which is a deal-breaker for me) and Ubi responded by saying there will be a patch in 6-8 weeks. I'm hoping the US version got delayed to adress this issue. I'm guessing it will be out at the end of September. It's possible the US won't have the option to buy the game piecemeal, as the UK people can.
Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts
I dont trust Ubisoft after they Royally Scewed over the PS2 version of Chaos Theory So hell if they think I'm rebuying a game they should have provided me with many years ago
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I played pandora tomorrow on ps2 but never beat it because the game would freeze at the last level. :/ Don't have much memory of it left though except that it was an awesome game. I think I might buy the remake, it's only 10 euros.
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 glitch2424

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

MethodManFTW

I thought Chaos Theory was the best.. Great game play and encourages player choice, as opposed to the older splinter cells.. It's also the highest rated one on Metacritic..

1) all of the splinter cell games are within 1-2% of each other on gamerankings, so all sites had them scored about THE SAME

2) SC1 and CT are tied with gamespot scores with a score of 8.6, but PT has an honorable 9.1, and it totally deserves it, even while containing less features than CT - that's saying something

3) CT was boring to me b/c everything was automated - from the movement to the one-button actions. Running up walls and doing the splits just took button presses now, instead of player skill. Player choice? There wasn't much, and it discourages what splinter cell does best: stealth. Especially when you can just shoot everyone in the head and be on your way. Previous splinter cells benefited from being linear (in terms of gameplay and mission objectives) because it encouraged stealth (e.g.: someone spotting you even once and the mission is done - that HAS to encourage you to play stealthily and cautiously). Also, CT lacked the difficulty and intensity of previous splinter cell games, and I don't know why that is. It was just boring overall, and it got too stale for me to finish (unlike SC1, PT, and conviction). I've played that all (conviction the most recent, and i played PT AFTER CT and i found PT to be more fun), and that's my opinion.

glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 glitch2424

[QUOTE="Asim90"]

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"] Hopefully it's not too dated.BigBoss255

Ok I took your word and I'm downloading it now. Lol @ the guy who said Conviction was the best in the series, it was the worst game I played last year.

It was better than CT I thought, at least in terms of fun. The single player was OK, but I loved the deniable ops - it was pure splinter cell gameplay, over and over again. Conviction may have been the worst game you played last year, but it's definitely the best splinter cell game to come out since PT, and also in terms of polished presentation / story.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MethodManFTW
Your beef with CT makes it sound like you wouldn't like conviction.. But yeah, it is the highest rated on meteoritic so it's defimitely beloved by many.. I just mess with people that make definitive statements on things that are subjective. :D
en3sge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 en3sge
Member since 2007 • 321 Posts

Anyone care to offer any further impressions after downloading and playing any of the PSN splinter cell HD games?

Still interested how PT and CT hold up. Im amazed just how quiet the internet is with these games. Not a review in sight.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts
I'm glad I can play the original while I wait for the Trilogy! If the original holds up, then the sequels do, too. There is NO multiplayer at all for the trilogy or the psn versions. No Spy vs Mercs and no Co op, just telling you guys. I don't think I can count on bonus level either.
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

How can I get this if I have a European account but I live in the US? Can I just use a credit card?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MethodManFTW

How can I get this if I have a European account but I live in the US? Can I just use a credit card?

hanslacher54
if you have a uk credit card... or buy a uk psn card online
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

[QUOTE="hanslacher54"]

MethodManFTW

if you have a uk credit card... or buy a uk psn card online

Thanks. I guess that I'll just wait :(

Lucky Europeans...

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Pandora Tomorrow has some trophy related issues. 1. My trophies won't upload. The syncing runs but they are not shown on my PSN profile. 2. There's one trophy where you have to rescue a certain person. But you can't finish the mission without sacrificing him because the path is blocked until you blow the area up. I tried everything I had but nothing worked. If anyone knows a way, tell me. But I really don't think I've missed something.