if the slim ps3 is real...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lt_Raven82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lt_Raven82
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

So if it's true and there is a new slim ps3 coming out in the future, what do you think of it? scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best.

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
Does not affect me cause I have the beastly PS3 already.
sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts

I think sony already denied it.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
1 because the PS3 Phat is sexxxy as hell and nothing could ever replace it. I see no need for a PS3 Slim.
Lt_Raven82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lt_Raven82
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Yes the PS3 i have is sexy as hell also. Didnt hear that they denyed it already sorry tobring up old news if thats the case

todsnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 todsnet
Member since 2003 • 426 Posts

Hell the ps3 to me is slim enough. Leave it alone.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

3. I'm indifferent.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
I let my fat PS3 sleep in the bed with me, and there's no room for skinny b****es! lol
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
Ps3 phat is gorgeous. Those pictures looked horrible, albiet they're not the finished product (if is indeed real). Regardless doesn't matter to me. I love my near-launch 60(500)GB ps3!
Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#10 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts

Couldn't care less. I love my PS3 as is. The slim version looks kinda ugly tbh.

LURCH87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 LURCH87
Member since 2008 • 1375 Posts

i hope not looks terrible

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
It would be the smallest stand-alone BluRay player on the market... and it would still suck because of a basic lack of an IR port so that it would be compatible with the majority of universal/programmable remotes on the market already. It would also suck because until they return backward compatibility to the ps3 again, it means that I am basically held hostage with my current 60gb model, to pay $150 a pop every time it breaks on me from now until Sony tries to force a no-BC unit on me, too. No BC? No sale. And unlike those of you who suffer from long term memory problems, anyone who remembers well enough of prior generations getting "slimmed down" will have plenty to fear, in that the slim version of a PlayStation has always had a significant problem in the process of being made smaller. With the PSOne, they basically turned an already known issue of overheating and exacerbated it by sealing all ventilation the system had. With the PStwo, Sony made it so that it would require nearly $300 worth of hardware to modify the system in order to even *accept* a standard hard drive again, much less have one installed for proper support. They also removed the ps1 chips unnecessarily (seriously, it can't cost them more than $0.25(USD) now with current manufacturing technology per chip), and overclocked the EE/GS, which caused incompatibilities with PS1 and some PS2 games that used (previously) undocumented features in the PS2 SDK. Sony has already heavily neutered the ps3 in its original form factor. Gone is the backward compatibility. Gone are the USB ports, the flash memory ports...what more can they get rid of? BD player software so that you have to buy the app that unlocks it after purchase? wireless? the standard A/V Multi-out so that you are forced to use HDMI with the PSthree? And what's the power brick's size going to be? Given the significance in size reduction we're talking about, we could very well see a power brick larger than that used for most DTR notebooks and even the 360.

sa10kun
That's just standard practice though. Seriously, why would you in a manufacturing position want to confirm a new product before release? If you want people to buy your product now, you don't want them to think if there's suddenly going to be a newer, shinier version coming down the pipe. Why? because then everyone will stop buying in favor of waiting to get the "new and shiny" model, and you're left holding the back on all the "old crap" (that's still perfectly functional) that all the self-conscious brats will not want. It would not be in Sony's best interest to confirm the existence of a slim-sized PSthree, until 24 hours before it comes out.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Kill it with fire.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
My fat silver PS3 is lovely, so no.
amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts

The PS3 looks badass, why ruin it?

I voted 2.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I'd give it a "3" because although it would be cool to have such a powerful machine in a smaller form, it'll probably suffer from major hardware issues. Small size isn't always the best idea with such powerful components inside the PS3.
PSFreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#18 PSFreak1
Member since 2008 • 674 Posts

maybe it will be released next year

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
My fat silver PS3 is lovely, so no.shalashaska88
Ahhh silver. You are the first person to actually say that you own that color.....To bad once you go black you never go back.
TheIndianChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 TheIndianChild
Member since 2007 • 1731 Posts

If Sony manages to release a slim version of this beastly console , that'd be an amazing feat in itself . I'd definately give it a 5/5 . But I'm 100% sure w won't see such a model in a long time .

freekninjinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freekninjinc
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

If Sony manages to release a slim version of this beastly console , that'd be an amazing feat in itself . I'd definately give it a 5/5 . But I'm 100% sure w won't see such a model in a long time .

TheIndianChild
Ante Up!
HarshGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 HarshGamer
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts
WTF is up with people being in constant denial? You all like the idea and you know it, only thing bothering you is the fact that it'll come out "only" 1-2years after you purchased an object with a worth of about 300-400$. You're all in denial. DENIAL I TELL YOU....
freekninjinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 freekninjinc
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

Exactly!same thing with the WEE,same thing with the spiderman font,the ps3 and 360 cases,etc..wagon jumpers!The wagon gunna break aCK! somebody jump quIK!

Thewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Thewbacca
Member since 2006 • 3197 Posts

All I know is that, real or not, that thing looks butt-ugly. I'm normally not that obsessed with aesthetics of hardware as long as it functions, but that thing looks more like a third party peripheral than an actual console. It looks like a balance board.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It looks ugly, if it were real, it stick with my regular ps3.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

All I know is that, real or not, that thing looks butt-ugly. I'm normally not that obsessed with aesthetics of hardware as long as it functions, but that thing looks more like a third party peripheral than an actual console. It looks like a balance board.

Thewbacca
what "thing"? Those fake pictures of a ps3 casing on top of a wii? They only add the picture just to have some picture to go along with the article. It is in no way a leaked photo of sony's design for the slim ps3 if they are even making one. Why do people focus on the dumb picture so much T.T
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
2 because it looks ugly and cheap.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#28 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I said 3/5. I like the PS3 the way it looks now, so unless the slim one looked fantastic, I would not get it.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

3/5 here since it's still the same ol' ps3 :)

I'd probably still buy it though.

Choco_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Choco_Taco
Member since 2007 • 573 Posts

[QUOTE="Thewbacca"]

CosmoKing7717

what "thing"? Those fake pictures of a ps3 casing on top of a wii? They only add the picture just to have some picture to go along with the article. It is in no way a leaked photo of sony's design for the slim ps3 if they are even making one. Why do people focus on the dumb picture so much T.T

I think they're talking about these pictures:| So you can't say I didn't warn you, it's pretty fugly:(.......IF it's thosepics are real

The_Game_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Game_Jr
Member since 2008 • 74 Posts

I wont mind. PersonallyI dont really care if it is goneslim.

But in my case, when I want to play PS3 downstairson my HD TVI have to bring it downand it's a massive beast u know.Then when my parents gonna watch TVI have to bring it back up to my room.

That was quite achore.

fazedjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 fazedjb
Member since 2008 • 542 Posts

1. i love my shiny breeze block

THEGoD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 THEGoD1
Member since 2009 • 741 Posts

too early to say if it will come out

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
[QUOTE="codezer0"]It would be the smallest stand-alone BluRay player on the market... and it would still suck because of a basic lack of an IR port so that it would be compatible with the majority of universal/programmable remotes on the market already. It would also suck because until they return backward compatibility to the ps3 again, it means that I am basically held hostage with my current 60gb model, to pay $150 a pop every time it breaks on me from now until Sony tries to force a no-BC unit on me, too. No BC? No sale. And unlike those of you who suffer from long term memory problems, anyone who remembers well enough of prior generations getting "slimmed down" will have plenty to fear, in that the slim version of a PlayStation has always had a significant problem in the process of being made smaller. With the PSOne, they basically turned an already known issue of overheating and exacerbated it by sealing all ventilation the system had. With the PStwo, Sony made it so that it would require nearly $300 worth of hardware to modify the system in order to even *accept* a standard hard drive again, much less have one installed for proper support. They also removed the ps1 chips unnecessarily (seriously, it can't cost them more than $0.25(USD) now with current manufacturing technology per chip), and overclocked the EE/GS, which caused incompatibilities with PS1 and some PS2 games that used (previously) undocumented features in the PS2 SDK. Sony has already heavily neutered the ps3 in its original form factor. Gone is the backward compatibility. Gone are the USB ports, the flash memory ports...what more can they get rid of? BD player software so that you have to buy the app that unlocks it after purchase? wireless? the standard A/V Multi-out so that you are forced to use HDMI with the PSthree? And what's the power brick's size going to be? Given the significance in size reduction we're talking about, we could very well see a power brick larger than that used for most DTR notebooks and even the 360.[QUOTE="sa10kun"]

That's just standard practice though. Seriously, why would you in a manufacturing position want to confirm a new product before release? If you want people to buy your product now, you don't want them to think if there's suddenly going to be a newer, shinier version coming down the pipe. Why? because then everyone will stop buying in favor of waiting to get the "new and shiny" model, and you're left holding the back on all the "old crap" (that's still perfectly functional) that all the self-conscious brats will not want. It would not be in Sony's best interest to confirm the existence of a slim-sized PSthree, until 24 hours before it comes out.

I didn't bother reading all of this, so I hope you got your point across. lol I just wanted to point out that this could be Sony's way of finally making the PS3 more affordable. A smaller console would be cheaper to manufacture, so they could make the console itself much cheaper. That way they'd up their sales and profit. That way they could afford to through more back into the higher end (luxury) models. That way we all win! :) However, if for some dumb reason they got rid of the fat ones all together and stuck us with a cheapy version I'd start writing a nasty letter. That would completely alienate most of us who already own a PS3. That's why I believe they'd still make the fat one in addition to the slim or the slim just doesn't exist at all.
G-T-A---M-A-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 G-T-A---M-A-D
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts
Id stick to my black ps3, though i just wish they release the white ceramic one in aus, it looks so much better than the black one.
donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts

1. all the picks i seen look like junk.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's the ugliest thing I have ever seen, but it doesn't really concern me since Im content with my 60gb console.

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

I think 'teh chubbeh PSThreh' is alright as it is.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

launch 60GB PS3 ftw! :D

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 codezer0
As far as a slim PS3 goes, if it's whats needed to allow a price reduction, then I'm all for it. I personally wouldn't buy one as I'm happy with the PS3 I have now. raven_squad
You really think Sony's going to pass on any savings to us in a new model ps3? :lol: They dared claim that it costs them $100/unit to put in the ps2 hardware in a ps3 (so say their reps whenever they're around here). If that were the case, do you really think that Sony would be selling new pstwo's @ $100? Also, it's well known that Sony has always trimmed or neutered something whenever it came to transition to the slim/smaller model of a PlayStation console. This isn't subjective, it's fact. The only one showing bias here is you and your fanboyism (and your deliberate insults toward me). Sorry I'm not part of the "Sony fold" that I can just afford to gloss over such a significant truth.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

As a matter of fact, yes. I do believe that if the slim model cut manufacturing costs of the PS3, the price would be reduced. Its always worked that way...whenever they make significant changes to the console and thereby cut cost of manufacturing, the price drops. As far as the cost of PS2 hardware emulation in the PS3 goes, I haven't read anything in which Sony claimed it cost $100 a unit. I'd have to see it for myself. I doubt it would cost that much, but I can't say for certain. You don't know for a fact what changes had to be made to allow for the PS2 hardware to function and the hardware itself, It may have ended up costing that much.

Trimming and "neutering", yes. Thats always been the natural way of things when you want manufacturing costs cut. But the slim models are fully functional for their main purposes. And, in fact, the PS1 slim really lost nothing. You claim that its vents are obstructed and promote overheating, but I've had one operating for 16 hours at one point, and experienced no issue. The PS2 slim lost the extremely obscure and rarely used ability to use a hard drive, which effects maybe 5% of those that own a PS2... I just don't think all of your bitterness is well founded at all. Do you lay this kind of crap on the 360 and wii board aswell? because I can come up with 3 times the amount ridiculous faults with those consoles.

wpgteggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wpgteggy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I like how the "fat" PS3 looks.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 codezer0
The claim for it costing Sony $100/unit for PS2 support was made by one of their (more outlandish) Sony reps that would come and visit various retail stores around campus. For a while I would catch him regularly, and almost (too) inconveniently when I was going from one ps3 to another due to one form of failure after another. Hearing his pompous ass chime on about the greatness of the PlayStation brand only helped make my blood boil that much hotter around his presence. It was he who made the claim of how it saved them that much money per unit. And as I said before, it can't cost them $100/unit to make the set of chips required for hardware PS2 compatibility. It wouldn't make sense unless they stuck with the original manufacturing processes, of which it would be the first time I'd heard of a company do that... because no other semiconductor manufacturer that I know of that would WANT to stay in business would stick with an old and inefficient manufacturing process if they could make the same physical chip cheaper, easier, and cooler. I need only point at AMD and intel as an example in this regard. Even what would be the same mechanical chip on the outside can go through several internal revisions to bring the costs down, but done so in a manner to not lose any of the functionality; at times, the process even lets them *add in additional features* - compare that to Sony which has since removed features that made the ps3 worth getting. As far as "laying this crap" you claim I am doing, I haven't had to because - oh, what's that? - Microsoft and Nintendo actually DID help me out when one of their systems went south on me. Thus, I'd not had to pay anything out of pocket to get service, and usually got a better replacement than what I initially purchased. Or in the case of Nintendo, I've not had to replace a single home console from them at all, and that even includes the old-school 8-bit NES, and I've had every single Nintendo home console. The Xbox 1 I'd bought off eBay may had tanked, but someone by dumb luck came around and made me a good offer for it, which helped me get enough together for my 360. Sony is still the only company that I've not only had to replace home consoles from, but do so out of my own pocket because they refused to back their product each and every time. You too would be angry and bitter if something you wish to enjoy ends up costing you a fortune and you had no viable recourse or action that you could take to get out of the situation. It's like with cell phone contracts nowadays... they get you to sign up on a two-year contract, but then the phone itself (PlayStation console) only lasts you just long enough to get past the initial one year (more like 90 days for the first two generations) of warranty. You call and complain to (Sony) customer service, and you're still left to pay the bill (owning games you no longer can play). You could cancel (sell everything you have), but then you're getting smacked with the ETF fee (can no longer play games for the platform)... or you buy a phone (compatible PlayStation) at full price to continue using the service (games). But if you want to be able to communicate to people (play compatible games), you need that phone (console). And thus you're stuck having to buy one out of pocket in order to continue using the service (games you'd paid good money to own). You are also neglecting the fact that the PS2 slim in particular lost the PS1 chip that was previously used (In the original fatty design) as the chip that was responsible for I/O operations from USB/Firewire. It also gave the fatty PS2 hardware compatibility (via a boot loader trick), and devs could then use it as an additional processor and RAM for stuff if they were sure they weren't using the USB/firewire ports on the console. But with the PStwo, Sony removed these chips (and RAM) and made the EE+GS handle them. For the PS1 games, the PStwo uses a more primitive version of the software emulation that allows PS1 games to run on the PS3. And at the originally specified speeds for the EE+GS, that software emulation chugged like an engine filled with molasses. So what did Sony do to counteract this? Overclock the EE+GS chips to compensate. So... they remove the hard drive support (WHICH I DID AND STILL DO USE ON THE PS2 :evil: ), they resort to really ghetto emulation for PS1 games (which can cause glitches with those games that really wringed out the PS1 chip for what it's worth), and on top of that, risk breaking any existing PS2 games on the market that did use that optional functionality. Sorry you can't be arsed to remember this technical stuff. :|