If I bought DMC4, would I have to play the others to understand the storyline?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cornerstore
Member since 2006 • 2137 Posts
Thanks guys!
hishkarnib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 hishkarnib
Member since 2005 • 2625 Posts
im thinking of getting it too, and havent touched on another part. Read through wikipedia and the officail site, and that's basically all the info you need
Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cornerstore
alright Ill try that, anyone else though?
sportwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sportwarrior
Member since 2003 • 2462 Posts
Dunno. I wouldn't be so worried about it, though. I haven't played any of the DMC games at all, but I'm definitely curious about DMC 4. If I play it and find out there is quite a bit of backstory that I need to know I'll go back and look it up. I'm not going to make the extra effort of doing so before hand, though.
UgaT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UgaT
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts
i guess you need to play one of the series from this DMC to understand the story line... im looking forward on this game but guess what in play-asia website here's a tro release dates on this dmc, one will be release this end of Jan & the other wil be Mid Feb.
Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cornerstore
i just read the wikipedia. It seems that you may want to just read it up and not bother playing it. There will be a few character battles and pop ups from the last games, that you may not reconize. The story is pretty interesting but kinda of random at some parts. Anyways thanks for the help guys!
khalid_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 khalid_b
Member since 2005 • 622 Posts
No, each game's storyline can stand on its own, though you would get to appreciate Dante's character more from using him in previous games it wouldnt have much of an impact on the story. Yeah characters from previous games such as Trish and Lady will show up but nothing that would hinder you from understanding the storyline.
Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

If you have the time, there has recently been a 4 disc special edition pack with the entire first 3 games released for PS2, and it's only 30 bucks. If you have a PS2 or a PS3 with BC, you can cheaply play the entire series so far, and find out how well you like the games and learn all the backstory. Again, if you have the time.

That's what I did, I was planning to to buy the 3 disc collectors edition of DMC 4, but I figured I would pick up the first 3 and give myself a chance to learn the series, and even if I hate them, I still saved myself 50 bucks compared to shelling out the 80 for the CE of DMC 4. I haven't had time to get into any of them yet though.

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cornerstore
No, each game's storyline can stand on its own, though you would get to appreciate Dante's character more from using him in previous games it wouldnt have much of an impact on the story. Yeah characters from previous games such as Trish and Lady will show up but nothing that would hinder you from understanding the storyline.khalid_b
Do you know how long each game is ? (1,2 and 3?)
Toadso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Toadso
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts

Well, since you have read about the story you should be well prepared for DMC4. I just have to warn you though in case you want to play any of the previous DMC games, stay tha F&%/ away from DMC2, seriously. . .

destructo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 destructo888
Member since 2005 • 594 Posts

I'm a giant fan of DMC and am part of a DMC internetcommunity and Trust me if your buying DMC4 go out and hunt down 1 and 3.

3 is the most important as it is a prequal to all the others and has the best cutscenes/story. 1 is still pretty good but the storyline isn't that great.

The biggest thing you have to know about is Vergil who is Dante's identical twin brother....it would seem as if he has a connection to Nero in DMC4. (i don't wanna spoil it for you)

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cornerstore
Why shouldnt i get # 2? whats so bad about it?
destructo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 destructo888

The gameplay ain't great and the storyline has nothing to do with the others.

He just defeatsa random devil at the end of a average mission.

Nothing adds to the story at all.

Just remember the story order goes 3,1,4,2

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cornerstore

The gameplay ain't great and the storyline has nothing to do with the others.

He just defeatsa random devil at the end of a average mission.

Nothing adds to the story at all.

Just remember the story order goes 3,1,4,2

destructo888
Should I play it in that order? Or wasnt it just meant to be 1 2 3 4? Or will i understand it straight out of the box that way? And will it be easier?
destructo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 destructo888

DMC3 came out after 1 and 2 (obviously) and shows Dante as a teenager. This game also contains Lady who is in DMC4. This one is the most graphically and technically advanced of the PS2 trilogy and I suggest you play it first.

Then play DMC1 Dante is in his twenty's in this and he fights Mundus (aka the devil)this is the earliest and has the worst graphics. This game also contains Trish who is in DMC4. It may look slightly worse graphically compared to DMC2 itis still far better then DMC2 in most peoples opinion.

Then you should be all set for DMC4.....ENJOY

P.S. don't worry about #2 it is set FAR after the other DMC's, some beleive over 20 years after 4.

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cornerstore

DMC3 came out after 1 and 2 (obviously) and shows Dante as a teenager. This game also contains Lady who is in DMC4. This one is the most graphically and technically advanced of the PS2 trilogy and I suggest you play it first.

Then play DMC1 this is the earliestand has the worst graphics. This game also contains Trish who is in DMC4. It maylook slightly worse graphically compared to DMC2 itis still far better then DMC2 in most peoples opinion.

P.S. don't worry about #2 it is set FAR after the other DMC's, some beleive over 20 years after 4.

destructo888
So should i play 1 2 3 4 or 3142? Thanks
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

Well DMC 4 is suppose to install some stuff to your harddrive and during the install , the whole story of DMC will be presented on the Loading screen.

If you are going to play the games, DO NOT PLAY DMC2. :P like the other guy stated.

destructo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 destructo888
[QUOTE="destructo888"]

Then play DMC1 this is the earliestand has the worst graphics. This game also contains Trish who is in DMC4. It maylook slightly worse graphically compared to DMC2 itis still far better then DMC2 in most peoples opinion.

Cornerstore

So should i play 1 2 3 4 or 3142? Thanks

Play 3 then 1 then 4 then 2 (if you wanna play 2)

This is the story order and will make the most sense.

RazMaTaz-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RazMaTaz-1
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts
Just play DMC1 and DMC3 to get the back story. DMC3 gameplay is great but the difficulty level is very hard for some. DMC1's gameplay aint so great anymore but the game is still fun and some of the artistics gothic sceneries are beautiful. If you are picking up DMC4 for PS3 though, they give you a back story while the game is installing.
mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mgs_freak91
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts

im sure you dont have to play the previous games to understand this one, so it should be ok. i read somewhere that one of the reasons to introduce a new playable character was to help new comers to the game, so yea.

but even if you do need the back story just read it up on wikipedia...so all good.

scorching_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 scorching_cool
Member since 2004 • 132 Posts

yeah play 1 and 3,they are very good games anyway,and they're are pretty cheap now,I started with three,and then played one.3 was awesome! one was okay ,but I liked 3 better...

destructo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 destructo888

Weird thing is for me is that most people say DMC3 was really hard BUT I never died in it until I played DMD mode (didn't die once in nomal or hard)

But I still get my ass handed to me by Nightmare in DMC1 on normal mode every now and then haha.

RazMaTaz-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RazMaTaz-1

DMC3 was brill, except i didnt find Dante all that appealing, just a bit toooo over the top(Mission 2, the way he puts on his jacket) and Mission 3(Riding the rocket and acting like Ric Flair with WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO).

DMC1 was just a jaw dropping experiance when it first came out. Even today, no DMC game(maybe 4) can compete with the gorgous environments in DMC1.

but...for people who never played the series before, theres a summary of DMCs story being told when you are installing DMC4 on to the PS3 HD.

GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

im sure you dont have to play the previous games to understand this one, so it should be ok. i read somewhere that one of the reasons to introduce a new playable character was to help new comers to the game, so yea.

but even if you do need the back story just read it up on wikipedia...so all good.

mgs_freak91

That's the route I'll probably take, I'm not gonna have enough time between now and Feb. 5th to play, understand, and enjoy the previous three games.

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cornerstore

DMC3 was brill, except i didnt find Dante all that appealing, just a bit toooo over the top(Mission 2, the way he puts on his jacket) and Mission 3(Riding the rocket and acting like Ric Flair with WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO).

DMC1 was just a jaw dropping experiance when it first came out. Even today, no DMC game(maybe 4) can compete with the gorgous environments in DMC1.

but...for people who never played the series before, theres a summary of DMCs story being told when you are installing DMC4 on to the PS3 HD.

RazMaTaz-1
wait if you by this game, it installs to your harddrive? And tells your the whole story of dmc4? or the story of 123 from before?
Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cornerstore
bump
RazMaTaz-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RazMaTaz-1
[QUOTE="RazMaTaz-1"]

Cornerstore

wait if you by this game, it installs to your harddrive? And tells your the whole story of dmc4? or the story of 123 from before?

It tells you the story of DMC1 & 3. Not 2 since it takes place years after DMC4.

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cornerstore
[QUOTE="Cornerstore"][QUOTE="RazMaTaz-1"]

RazMaTaz-1

It tells you the story of DMC1 & 3. Not 2 since it takes place years after DMC4.

Do you think it will explain it pretty good?
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
Hum, why exactly didnt you get the 1st 3 games? If you didnt like the look of em back then why does the 4th look more appealing?
thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts

There are big bosses and you have big swords, guns and other wonderful weaponry what more is there?

destructo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 destructo888

Despite what people say DMC actually has a very interesting storyline (not including 2 of course).

Anyone who has played 3 will understand.....it's not some hollow action game that most people beleive it to be.

Game_Lover500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Game_Lover500
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts
Not sure.
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

There are big bosses and you have big swords, guns and other wonderful weaponry what more is there?

thekodaman

Well yeah, but the 1st 3 also have that yet it wasnt enought to convince some people, now with better gfx it changes?

Vendrena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vendrena
Member since 2006 • 852 Posts

you can pick up a box set that comes with all the dmcs for only $30! also i suggest you play dmc1 and dmc3 for those who haven't, they're amazing games one of the best for the genra. If you do plan on playing them play it in order from 1,3,4 as the gameplay mechanics are totally different for each game, plus you'll appreciate dmc1 and dmc3 alot more if you play it in that order. For those are are lazy go to this site:

http://devils-lair.org/

its a great site that has all the cutscense from all the games, therefore if you just want to know about the story you can watch instead of read :D