I think I am starting to agree with gamespots Uncharted score

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LORDDICE1
Member since 2007 • 1263 Posts
The first 6 chapters were awesome now its good but could be better. I would give it a 8-8.5 i think.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

GS tied for lowest score given by a website for Uncharted.

Can you be more specific on why? I don't own it yet. All the GS review says is "too hard."

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LORDDICE1

Can you be more specific on why? I don't own it yet. All the GS review says is "too hard."

EmperorSupreme
it is a bit hard but not to difficult. The cover mechanic is nice but you can't always tell where the enemies are which in turn yoiu take the wrong cover and you are dead. At the beggining there is a lot of variety and just taking in the movie like feel is awesome. After ch 6 though it turns into area after area of kill this group of guys followed by kill this group guys. Sometimes the amount of men you find in parts of the game don't match the story. For example you find some hidden place and there are already 20 guys there........
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
In 20 years gamers will want the game to play itself... of course you have to choose the right cover spot!
kazuya_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 kazuya_m
Member since 2004 • 1752 Posts
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

LORDDICE1

it is a bit hard but not to difficult. The cover mechanic is nice but you can't always tell where the enemies are which in turn yoiu take the wrong cover and you are dead. At the beggining there is a lot of variety and just taking in the movie like feel is awesome. After ch 6 though it turns into area after area of kill this group of guys followed by kill this group guys. Sometimes the amount of men you find in parts of the game don't match the story. For example you find some hidden place and there are already 20 guys there........

no offend ment but this all sounds great to me, that's the good old arcade like old school battle game I was looking for since Punisher, Batman Returns(SNES), Ninja Turtles(SNES) and Devil May Cry(one) .

Most critics towards this game were rather positiv aspects for my personal gaming preferences.

janzaruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 janzaruk
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

LORDDICE1

I, personally, would disagree.  I thought the story drove the game until the very end.  Sure, some of the twists were pulp cliches, but stil done very well.  I didn't feel like the amount of guys was unreasonable, and personally, after playing CoD4, found the gunplay very easy to handle, even on hard.  I thought the platforming, especailly towards the end, was top notch.  Some pretty decent puzzles, one I had to even go to the 'net to figure out. A couple of my buddies, who are owners of another console, even said it was a 9+ game, and said the visuals were better than a "certain" other game reknown for its graphics.To each their own, for sure.  I am not saying you are wrong, I just felt different about it.  BTW, compared to CoD4, Uncharted is not hard.  There is not a single point in Uncharted close the the difficultiy of the Pryipat ferris wheel board on CoD4.
_ChIcKeN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _ChIcKeN_
Member since 2003 • 251 Posts

Its your opinion...some ppl will love this game just like that,others will not...

QqueB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 QqueB
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

LORDDICE1

That was actually my main (if not only) gripe with the game. I would spend time traversing walls and finding keys, open some door only to find 20 enemies there.

There were about 4-5 times where I found myself asking "how the hell did they get in here?"

Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts

Drake often asks that question himself during the game. I personally found it fun. Imagine what the game would have been like without those moments...a lot closer to Tomb Raider 1 I would imagine, where you'd go far too long without much of anything to do. The enemies make the game varied and my friends (even my sister) who've seen me play it, refer to it as a movie. It's a great game and has a good, mature, story. The end was satisfying also. Like the pulp films it was based on, Uncharted is a fun ride that you don't mind playing more than once.

Galaxybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Galaxybear
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts

I thought the GS review was ridiculous. I loved the game for putting together a different type of game than I've ever played before, specifically the amount of action and platforming, on top of a fun story, which has enjoyable dialogue to back it up. I literally played the whole game with my friends watching becasue they they begged me not to play without them; and not just my friends who are gamers, but Meag and Kerry who simply treated it like a really long movie and have absolutely no interest in video games as a a genre.

Oh and anyone who had trouble killing the enemies in this game need to quit playing games. Sure the AI was good, but given the lack of bar and cover mechanic its no trouble at all, seriously. Did any here play GeOW at all? No one says that game is too hard (myself included) but its a lot harder than Uncharted. Personally I felt the difficulty was right on, it was the type of game I wanted to have to try again and again.

newown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 newown
Member since 2005 • 1427 Posts
I give this game 9 and higher !
Because , I haven't played a game like this on my PS3 ... ( It is so cool )
I just finished the hard mode by the way ..... :D
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
8 is a great score, period.
Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts

It's not that the enemies are hard, it's just that some take a few good bullets to take down. I pulled off a head shot and the enemy still surived and ran for cover and began calling for help; sure it was cool to see him do that, but not after a head shot, he should have went down.

8.0 isn't bad, it still has a "great" rating, I would say 8.5 to be safe, there are some details that are just too amazing to not give credit for. I love how Drake talks to himself to calm himself down, and how he actually flinches when a bullet zings by, they are fun touches that make hime seem more human; Naughty Dog did a good job bringing Nathan Drake to life.

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

I played the demo and thought that was all I needed to play. I hated the controls for the shooter part of the game.

thageneral3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thageneral3
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts

I never really liked the game based on the previews hype, and finally the demo

I showed the demo to my friends, one of which is a owner of that circle system and another who still only has a ps2 :o and they both thought uncharted was absolute crap

matto4141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 matto4141
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

LORDDICE1

Soooo you would rather just run around an empty environment?

The gunfights in this game were the most fun for me, the difficulty was not too high nor were the numbers of enemies too much to handle (even on hard).

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Avatar image for LickMyPorcupine
LickMyPorcupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LickMyPorcupine
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

I have the demo of Uncharted and I think its amazing and am probably going to get it at Christmas.

(And yes that ferris whell part in Pripyat was frighteningly difficult)

wiljas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wiljas
Member since 2003 • 1132 Posts

The People complaining about uncharted being too difficult need to learn to play a games better. The Story to Uncharted is one of the better ones on any console. Yea sure there were a couple of spots where I was wondering how some of the Bad guys got there but that is only a small complaint. I thought the Ai was really well done. Sure I got what I thought was a few head shots that the guy didn't go down on.But it didn't matter because he normally stumbled around a little bit and I filled that sucker full of lead to make sure he was not going to get back up.

The shooting mechanics were on par and sometimes better than GeOW which was a great shooting game and it's reviews agreed with that. So why is gamespot along with others complaining about it being too difficult. I say it's a double standared.

The Graphics were bright and varied. Something that I have not seen in a game of this quality as of yet. Gears was a great game but it was very limited of the amount of diffrent textures and it was a dark and gloomygame. Uncharted is bright and beautiful and has a great feel to it. There are a few little glitches here and there,but that does not take away from the beauty of this game.

Basically if anyone say's this game sucks. They have no clue what a good game is. If you don't like it then that is your personal opinion. But this is a well produced game that deserves a higher score than the 8 that GS gave it. Sure if they don't want to give it a 9 or higher fine but don't complain about a game style that you were praising on the Xbox just about a year ago.

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

but you can't always tell where the enemies are which in turn yoiu take the wrong cover and you are dead

dang, I was laughing so hard at this!

Ain't this the beauty of an Adventure game? Without being surprised, where's the fun of it?

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lhbchen

I never really liked the game based on the previews hype, and finally the demo

I showed the demo to my friends, one of which is a owner of that circle system and another who still only has a ps2 :o and they both thought uncharted was absolute crap

thageneral3

Interesting comments! May I ask you a favor? Would you please ask them what're their "absolutely not crap" games and post those games here?

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LORDDICE1
[QUOTE="LORDDICE1"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

matto4141

No I am saying it gets repetitive, I hate fanboys!!! Its a good game, I can just see some flaws now.

Soooo you would rather just run around an empty environment?

The gunfights in this game were the most fun for me, the difficulty was not too high nor were the numbers of enemies too much to handle (even on hard).

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

swordfish_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 swordfish_64
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts
The demo of this game does not lift a finger to the magnificence of the final product. If you haven't played the full game, please stop wasting our time with your uninformed opinions based off the games demo.
Galaxybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Galaxybear
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts

ummmm there seems to be some confusion, if you land a head-shot that sucker goes down, every time, its one of the many ways that Naughty Dog did a good job with the combat by really rewarding aiming, so.... a previous poster must have been mistaken

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#25 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
yeah i hate stupid story inconsistancies l ike you mentioned (going into a supposedly hidden area only to find 20 enemies there already.) they really suck me out oof the experience. of course i still found gears of war to be a fun game, and that story is unintelligable garbage.
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

did u ever play cod4 or crysis? u feel like u killed half the popluation of korea/the terrorest int he world

if anyone dings uncharted for to many enemies then u need to complain about cod4 and crysis

btw anyoen that complains that this game is to hard i have 2 things to say to u
1)ur a casual gamer
2)go back to the nes days if u want to see hard

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LORDDICE1

did u ever play cod4 or crysis? u feel like u killed half the popluation of korea/the terrorest int he world

if anyone dings uncharted for to many enemies then u need to complain about cod4 and crysis

1)ur a casual gamer

xxgunslingerxx
Those are FPS games and COD4 did one of the best jobs ever of putting you right in the middle of the action. Uncharted is an action adventure and there are parts where there should not be 20-30 guys because its some hidden location that was just found! Don't get me wrong the game is fun, I just can understand gamespots score now that I have played through it. The first 6 chapters were completely immersive and unique but as the game goes on it becomes quite repetitive. It would have been a AAA game to me with it being a little less repetitive and more immersive all the way through.
ICEMAN9800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ICEMAN9800
Member since 2006 • 657 Posts
just because a game is hard does not make a difference Ninja gaiden was an awesome game and it was hard
Pariah01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pariah01
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

8 is a great score, period.BioShockOwnz

But not necessarily the score that's actually deserved.

austin_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 austin_is_god
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
I'm curious, with all the Uncharted love on these forums, is there any data on how the game sold so far? I know R&C Furture and Heavenly Sword performed way under expectations (I don't know how R&C failed, it is such a great game) so i am wondering how a better recieved game like Uncharted faired. Especially with the boost in hardware sales.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
I'm almost at the end of the game and I initially rated it a 10. I'm currently 3 chapters away from finishing the game, and I'm thinking of dropping my score to a 9.5 or 9.0. The reason for this is that the exploration stuff is so AWESOME that you actually begin to dread the gunfights. Additionally while it's a cool part of the story, there's a new character towards the end that kind of gets annoying. Lastly, there's a gunfight towards the end of the game that is around 30 minutes long with no save point, so if you die, you have to start it all over again...which is where I'm currently stuck at. It is still a great game, but maybe not a 10.
ObjectiveTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ObjectiveTruth
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

I don't own this game but i played it at a friend's house and while i think its a solid game i'd say its about an 8.0 to 8.5

I've been trying to put my finger on why.

I definately think it does what it does, very well, but it doesn't do anything innovative.

To be specific:

It feels like i'm playing tomb raider except the aiming is manual.

And personally i love FPS's so maybe this isn't my bag but how could games not have crosshair blooms these days?

I just find the aiming system clunky. Reminds me of dead rising on the 360, the game is great but the aiming system is god aweful.

Just my 2 cents

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

yeah i hate stupid story inconsistancies l ike you mentioned (going into a supposedly hidden area only to find 20 enemies there already.) they really suck me out oof the experience. of course i still found gears of war to be a fun game, and that story is unintelligable garbage.fmobliv06

yeah I remember thinking that a few times in Uncharted....you'd find a previously undiscovered area only to have to fight 10 pirates.

tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

LORDDICE1

Okay...soooo It's too hard for you and you agree with someone who doesn't care for the PS3...I think Ryan was wrong in his assessment and I think he's a very bad "editor"...this site is losing all credability yet some people still can't see the truth as to what is going on here...but everybody is entitled to their own opinion...

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lhbchen

I'm almost at the end of the game and I initially rated it a 10. I'm currently 3 chapters away from finishing the game, and I'm thinking of dropping my score to a 9.5 or 9.0. The reason for this is that the exploration stuff is so AWESOME that you actually begin to dread the gunfights. Additionally while it's a cool part of the story, there's a new character towards the end that kind of gets annoying. Lastly, there's a gunfight towards the end of the game that is around 30 minutes long with no save point, so if you die, you have to start it all over again...which is where I'm currently stuck at. It is still a great game, but maybe not a 10.Eddie5vs1

Hold on, I don't remember there's any battle as long as 30 min even in Crusing Mode.

The longest single battle I ever encountered in the game was aroung 10 min.

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

Gamespots score was probably dead on. The game has amazing graphics, sound, and production design. But its gameplay is flawed. The camera always works against you. Sometimes the hdr lighting can make it so you can't see where you need to jump. Things you couldn't jump an hour or so, may need to be jumped onto now at a difference place. And when you jump from place to place, sometimes the game doesn't trigger the jump from your position to the place where you need to jump.

As for actual combat? My main problem is that you can't crouch in cover. If your going to copy gears, copy all of its cover system. Not just bits and pieces. I'll be on a big piller in cover against it, but right next to be is a ground stone that drake would have to couch to take cover. The transition between the 2 don't always work either.

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

In 20 years gamers will want the game to play itself... of course you have to choose the right cover spot!rogerjak

doesn't change the fact that getting killed by crap you never saw is completely lame.

Avatar image for Man-is-Obsolete
Man-is-Obsolete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Man-is-Obsolete
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts
[QUOTE="xxgunslingerxx"]

1)ur a casual gamer

LORDDICE1

Those are FPS games and COD4 did one of the best jobs ever of putting you right in the middle of the action. Uncharted is an action adventure and there are parts where there should not be 20-30 guys because its some hidden location that was just found! Don't get me wrong the game is fun, I just can understand gamespots score now that I have played through it. The first 6 chapters were completely immersive and unique but as the game goes on it becomes quite repetitive. It would have been a AAA game to me with it being a little less repetitive and more immersive all the way through.

About the finding a hidden area and there being 20 enemies there. Well who says every area is so hidden?Let's not forget the other group looking for the treasure had been there far longer than Drake, thus allowing them to discover and set up camp in many of these places. Hell they even found El Darodo long before Drake. Also as Drake mentions and as it is in nearly every adventure game or movie there is always two exits, the one you entered from and the one you are going to exit from. Whose to say while Drake was the only one to figure out one entrance the others haven't already gotten through the other entrance? Imagine if will Drake is one room, there is a secret room next to it and next to it is the rest of the building or area already discovered by the pirates. So while you found a secret area once exiting it you are then entering a not so secret area, DUH!!!! Other times they may have figured out on their own where these areas are.

LessThanMarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LessThanMarcus
Member since 2003 • 655 Posts
Don't rate it until you play 22 chapters
LessThanMarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LessThanMarcus
Member since 2003 • 655 Posts

Gamespots score was probably dead on. The game has amazing graphics, sound, and production design. But its gameplay is flawed. The camera always works against you. Sometimes the hdr lighting can make it so you can't see where you need to jump. Things you couldn't jump an hour or so, may need to be jumped onto now at a difference place. And when you jump from place to place, sometimes the game doesn't trigger the jump from your position to the place where you need to jump.

As for actual combat? My main problem is that you can't crouch in cover. If your going to copy gears, copy all of its cover system. Not just bits and pieces. I'll be on a big piller in cover against it, but right next to be is a ground stone that drake would have to couch to take cover. The transition between the 2 don't always work either.

hazuki

Usually I don't quote people but I disagreed on almost everything you said. Camera works against you? It seems perfectly fine to me. How would YOU make it better? HDR lighting can make it so you can't see where you jump? Are you serious? What kind of TV do you have? Those two sentences from "Things....jump." Don't really understand what you are talking about. About crouching in cover, I see the character do that all the time. It automatically crouches if you move to smaller cover. And Uncharted cover system actually works better than gears. You don't have to press a button to "run" and then accidentally get stuck behind cover when you are just trying to run. Why assign a button to run anyway. Makes no sense. And I wouldn't say it copied gears. Because gears copied kill.switch

WhyuStillAlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WhyuStillAlive
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts
The first 6 chapters were awesome now its good but could be better. I would give it a 8-8.5 i think.LORDDICE1
and halo 3 didn't deserve a 9.5 it's more like an 8.5