I Sold My PS3 And Can't Remove the HD - Help!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

txdave38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 txdave38
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Recently, I sold my old 60 GIG PS3 Fat model with the plan to remove the HD drive if it sold. Unfortunately, I discovered that removing the HD wasn't easy. I removed the cover and tried my regular phillips head screwdriver on the middle blue screen. It wouldn't budge. I tried my thinner size screwdrivers, even my eyeglasses screw drivers, and only managed to pretty much strip the threads.

Am I totally boned here? How can I get this darn HD out of here? This PS3 died on me, so I don't have the option of going in and wiping the HD drive. I'm worried about the new owner having access to make account and CC info as well.

I did a little research online, and found a few references stating that I need a T10 Torx screwdriver to get these special screws out. Is this true? Is there any way I can prevent the new owner from accessing my data if I leave the HD inside?

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

So you sold your ps3 with plans of not including the HD? Good. I hope you can never get it out.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Ha Hah!
PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

So you sold your ps3 with plans of not including the HD? Good. I hope you can never get it out.

ristactionjakso
Yea, that is an awful thing to do. Did you at least tell the person it does't work without a HDD in it?
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

ristactionjakso

this!

txdave38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 txdave38

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

PEELEDbanana

Yea, that is an awful thing to do. Did you at least tell the person it does't work without a HDD in it?

txdave38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 txdave38

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

PEELEDbanana

I listed the auction for parts only and said that the HD was not included. It still bid up pretty high because it is a hardware BC model.

Mintymatti017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Mintymatti017
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Use some plyers and tightly grab the screw to unscrew it. I had the same problem of chewed up screws

gfmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gfmetal
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts

a special screwdriver isn't required; that blue screw is just a horrid little s.o.b. i had plenty of trouble getting it out when i replaced the hd in my console too. i ended up using an eyeglass screwdriver pressing from the top with one hand to keep it tight, then using a pair of pliers to turn it. pain in the butt, but i got it eventually. good luck

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

HD stands for High Definition.
HDD stands for Hard Drive Device.

Accessing what data? If you mean your PSN account, you only have to remove the PS3 permission rights from your account. You can do that online via a PC or with another PS3 or the same PS3.... As for the HDD itself you can reset it to factory default via a reformat. Or you can use the Safe mode of the PS3 and reformat to factory default from there.

txdave38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 txdave38

HD stands for High Definition.
HDD stands for Hard Drive Device.

Accessing what data? If you mean your PSN account, you only have to remove the PS3 permission rights from your account. You can do that online via a PC or with another PS3 or the same PS3....

Threesixtyci

Well I was pretty clear that there is no hard drive. I stated that I had not cracked open the case, just the part to remove the hard drive. I don't want them accessing my PSN account and making purchases on my CC or seeing my personal info.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Why are you quoting me for that stuff. I don't care if you sold it with a HDD or not..... And as I said before, you remove the PS3 from your accounts permissions list and PSN blocks out that PS3 from accessing your account.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The blue screw in the original Playstation 3 models the first edition of the 60Ggiger and the 20Giger were easily stripped. Now you have done it. That HDD is now stuck in the PS3.

grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
Taking the HDD out is pretty easy. YouTube it...what did you get for the "parts"? I have a ylod 60gb and i cant even get $50 for it
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
HDD stands for Hard Drive Device. Threesixtyci
It stands for Hard Disk Drive. If you're going to be an ass and correct someone, at least get your facts correct. I'm pretty sure everyone knew what he meant by 'HD' based on context...
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

do you know you won't be able to use the HDD with another PS3, even with the same model? if you still want to remove it, you can try some pincer preferably with a flat end and only begin to turn it when you're 100% sure you have a good hold of the screw

txdave38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 txdave38

The blue screw in the original Playstation 3 models the first edition of the 60Ggiger and the 20Giger were easily stripped. Now you have done it. That HDD is now stuck in the PS3.

Megavideogamer

Thankfully I was able to get the blue screw out with my needle nose pliers. But I couldn't do the same for the other screws. They are just so tiny and hard to grip. I ended up buying the Torx screwdriver off Amazon, and that was a waste of money. It didn't fit. I ended having to use my dad's socket set with only one socket fitting the screw. Then you have two more screws to get the HD out of the chassis. What a major pain.

I sold it for $85 so I'm pretty happy. I was able to get a new 320 GB slim MW3 bundle for $300 with a 30 dollar GC. I sold the MW3 game for 40 bucks too so I made out pretty good in the end.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

do you know you won't be able to use the HDD with another PS3, even with the same model? if you still want to remove it, you can try some pincer preferably with a flat end and only begin to turn it when you're 100% sure you have a good hold of the screw

TheTenth10
well thats not true