I am looking to buy a Ps3, Used Ps3 questions...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dwells4life
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts
Hi, recently I finally made enough money to purchase my PS3 (I'm 14) and I was thinking about buying a Used Ps3 off of ebay. It is from a trusted seller and all and in good condition. But I have 1 main question. Is this Used PS3 still covered by Sony's 1 year warranty that comes when it is purchased? So if my used console breaks will I be able to send it in to Sony for a free repair? BTW, the console is $399 and comes with everything except box and manuals, 60GB. Also, do you guys think that the 60GB will continue to go down in price on the resell market? And is it wise to purchase one right now? Thanks in advance for replies =] I want to complete my Pswii60 ; ]
guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts
You will need the original receipt that came with the PS3 if you have any warranty issues.  As for everything else meh, that's the risk you take buying second hand on eBay.
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dwells4life
So I cant send it in for an issue without the original receipt?
myxylplyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 myxylplyx
Member since 2003 • 519 Posts
You need a receipt and don't tell Sony you are the second owner. The warranty is for the original purchaser only.
lordofthefarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordofthefarm
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I think you need the receipt + box or manual, but not sure. I don't think you'd get a guarantee.
myxylplyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 myxylplyx

I think you need the receipt + box or manual, but not sure. I don't think you'd get a guarantee.lordofthefarm

I just got my replacement unit back from Sony on Wednesday. I got mine used from the original purchaser. If you ever have to send it back you will need these items exactly:

1.Photocopy of Original receipt

2.System with warranty seal still intact.

3.USB cable that came with the system.

4.Sixaxis controller.

5.AC power cord that came with system.

6.Ethernet cable that came with system.

7.A/V cable that came with system.

8.Filled out Paperwork that Sony provides when they send you out (free of shipping charges to you) a plain brown box with a UPS return shipping label.

Make sure if and when you call Sony for repair that you tell them that you were the original purchaser. Otherwise the system will no longer be covered by their warranty.

dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dwells4life

[QUOTE="lordofthefarm"]I think you need the receipt + box or manual, but not sure. I don't think you'd get a guarantee.myxylplyx

I just got my replacement unit back from Sony on Wednesday. I got mine used from the original purchaser. If you ever have to send it back you will need these items exactly:

1.Original receipt

4.Sixaxis controller.

8.Filled out Paperwork that Sony provides when they send you out (free of shipping charges to you) a plain brown box with a UPS return shipping label.

Make sure if and when you call Sony for repair that you tell them that you were the original purchaser. Otherwise the system will no longer be covered by their warranty.

Well the auction doesnt include receipt, If I didnt have receipt could I still get warranty?

myxylplyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 myxylplyx
[QUOTE="myxylplyx"]

[QUOTE="lordofthefarm"]I think you need the receipt + box or manual, but not sure. I don't think you'd get a guarantee.dwells4life

1.Original receipt

4.Sixaxis controller.

Well the auction doesnt include receipt, If I didnt have receipt could I still get warranty?

I guess you could find a creative way to produce one, if you were so inclined.

dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dwells4life
Are there any sites where I can get a PS3 for cheap? That are legit of course?
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

its from originaly purchasing date so its probably already msotly used up.

but if its used it probably still works

w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
Are there any sites where I can get a PS3 for cheap? That are legit of course?dwells4life
.......nope.
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dwells4life

[QUOTE="dwells4life"]Are there any sites where I can get a PS3 for cheap? That are legit of course?w7w7w7w7w7
.......nope.

=[

PS3_BLU_RAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PS3_BLU_RAY
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
$399.00 whats the shipping going to cost? If you have the money buy a new one, that way you are covered for the full year and you know that you are getting a brand new unit that has not been tampered with or abused.
Avatar image for Screamin_EaGLes
Screamin_EaGLes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Screamin_EaGLes
Member since 2006 • 2278 Posts
how much money do you have?? if you only have 400 bucks. sell some stuff to get the 100 that you need. i say go to a store and buy a new one for 500. i never trust ebay for such an expensive item.
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dwells4life
I have $440, I got an HDMI cable already... Does EB games accept paypal? Because I dont want to wait for the money to come out of paypal... Or does Bestbuy.com accept paypal? I hope so Please answer =]
Screamin_EaGLes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Screamin_EaGLes
nope, those retailers dont accept paypal. there are sites that sell the ps3 and take paypal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110009
here ya go they take paypal and they're great with customer service and shipping.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
Hi, recently I finally made enough money to purchase my PS3 (I'm 14) and I was thinking about buying a Used Ps3 off of ebay. It is from a trusted seller and all and in good condition. But I have 1 main question. Is this Used PS3 still covered by Sony's 1 year warranty that comes when it is purchased? So if my used console breaks will I be able to send it in to Sony for a free repair? BTW, the console is $399 and comes with everything except box and manuals, 60GB. Also, do you guys think that the 60GB will continue to go down in price on the resell market? And is it wise to purchase one right now? Thanks in advance for replies =] I want to complete my Pswii60 ; ]dwells4life
Why bother? I mean if you save $50 or $60, is it really worth it? With a brand new system you will have a full warranty and the piece of mind that goes with it. Who knows if the previous owner beat the crap out of it. I just bought a PS3 off of Amazon with free 2-day shipping due to arrive on tuesday.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunchofpixels
nope, those retailers dont accept paypal. there are sites that sell the ps3 and take paypal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110009
here ya go they take paypal and they're great with customer service and shipping.
Screamin_EaGLes
Ive never had a problem with newegg, so i definately recommend them.
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dwells4life

Will I still have sony's warranty if i buy a New Ps3 off of ebay? Still in box and sealed and all? if so I cand get one for $438 + shipping...

?

Screamin_EaGLes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Screamin_EaGLes
you need the reciept, what do you not understand about that??? go to the link i gave ya and buy it from them. then save the order form that they send with your ps3. that is your reciept.
delta_leader_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 delta_leader_4
Member since 2004 • 221 Posts

Also, do you guys think that the 60GB will continue to go down in price on the resell market? And is it wise to purchase one right now? dwells4life

They are discontinuing the 60gig, just like with the 20gig. Think of the 60gig as the new 20gig as soon as all exsisting systems are sold Sony will start selling th 80gig for $599 again. So think of this as a temporary price drop so I think it is very wise to buy a 60gig right now. Also like others have said if already have $440 saved up just either save up for a couple more weeks (and dont worry the 60gig will still be around) or sell some old things. I dont think its a good idea to buy a used one from Ebay just cause your $60 short. Good luck.

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bunchofpixels

Will I still have sony's warranty if i buy a New Ps3 off of ebay? Still in box and sealed and all? if so I cand get one for $438 + shipping...

?

dwells4life
No, you cant get a PS3 for that price. I think i saw gamestop selling 20 GB PS3's for 450 + tax. You need to save more money.
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dwells4life

Ok, I am still not sure what I am going to do... maybe buy off of ebay or maybe buy from the store. But annywho, I have a few questions:

Is this HDMI cable good for the ps3? I bough it earlier lol link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290141443116&rd=1&rd=1

Also is the Jawbone headset compatable with the PS3? I heard it as pretty good and wanted to use it with my Ps3?

Thanks in advance guys =]

Avatar image for kingtahktahkhuk
kingtahktahkhuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtahktahkhuk
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
i wouldn't buy a used console unless i know the person.
PapaGlide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 PapaGlide
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
i wouldn't trust Ebay on video game consoles but good luck
giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 giton
Member since 2007 • 1745 Posts

I just bought a PS3 off of Amazon with free 2-day shipping due to arrive on tuesday.
bunchofpixels

Oh hey, I did too, and mine's coming Tuesday also - gotta love that free two day shipping. The supplies of 60gb ps3's are shrinking!

Avatar image for XPrivateRyan22X
XPrivateRyan22X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 XPrivateRyan22X
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

So I cant send it in for an issue without the original receipt?dwells4life

Well from what I have heard, I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with the PS3 so you shouldn't worry about warranty. As for buying the 60gb now yes it is a very good idea. I think that since they aren't making them anymore and it's the last "premium" PS3 that still has the emotion engine in it. I would think that considering ebay in some time to some will be the only place where you can buy one, the prices may either stay the same or get higher. The hard drive space shouldn't be a problem because upgrading it is so simple.

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

There's a lot to be said for patience. Don't be in such a hurry. I'm not saying that buying a used PS3 is a bad idea, but buying a used PS3 from eBay is something I would never recommend. Try the Craigslist in your area, if you have one. If you find one there you can hook up with a local seller and you can see it before you buy it.

And in the future, I would look at www.monoprice.com for cables. You could have purchased an HDMI cable from there, including shipping, for about the same price you paid for shipping from that eBay auction.

parshanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 parshanb
Member since 2004 • 1347 Posts
i wouldnt get it of ebay, get it from the store, it would be more expensive but its WAY more reliable, ebay screwd me over SOO many times
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dwells4life

And in the future, I would look at www.monoprice.com for cables. You could have purchased an HDMI cable from there, including shipping, for about the same price you paid for shipping from that eBay auction.bdhoff

So ummm I already bought the cables from ebay, are they the same quality as the ones from monoprice.com? Or are they equal, better or worse?

Also, I found out that the Jawbone does work with the PS3 and is like the king of Bluetooth headsets.

As far as Craigslist goes, I am a big CL user that is how I get my money =]

But Since I already had money in paypal, I just wanted to get it off ebay but from what I am hearing that is a HORRID idea. lol So I guess I will buy it from the store..

Nice to see a lot of helpful advice =]

Screamin_EaGLes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Screamin_EaGLes
make sure to buy it from newegg.com
the link that i gave you cuz they take paypal and their shipping prices are alright. their customer service is great though.
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dwells4life
Ok, I got my Ps3 today from EB games new. =]