Hyperdimension Neptunia Good or Bad ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

I heard it was horrible but I would love to hear the truth from people who really played it.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's not very good. Maybe not a "3" bad, but it's definitely not higher than a 5. Very clunky dungeon crawling, long and boring battles, awful music, and a bland story.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Young_Charter

It's not very good. Maybe not a "3" bad, but it's definitely not higher than a 5. Very clunky dungeon crawling, long and boring battles, awful music, and a bland story.

yokofox33
So its not even worth a 50.00 its more worth a 30-40.00 ?
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Young_Charter
Btw what about Atelier Rorona ?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
It's got a 42 on Metacritic... With the highest review being a 74. So yeah, it's bad. You seem to really like JRPG's so you might enjoy tho.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]It's got a 42 on Metacritic... With the highest review being a 74. So yeah, it's bad. You seem to really like JRPG's so you might enjoy tho.

True but I got so many games and idk if it's worth the price and all dat blah blah you get me ?
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

I pre-ordered from the NIS site (even got the playing cards which were limited to 1k!) Its really funny actually, almost 100% fanservice, very bubbly, almost a little to much.

The dungeon navigation is a little clunky at first, your character seems to move very fast making getting in the right position to open chests and get through doors a little bothersome, the gameplay is very similar to the Xenosaga trilogy on PS2 with an enormous level of customization, there are dozens and dozens of four button combos which you can customize and change up, from something simple like a 3 physical hit combo and a gunshot, to things like entering HDD mode (like the super power mode) and then being able to continue your combo while gaining more AP with successive hits..

The main problem is unfortunately a rather large one, the healing system is basically random, when your character gets below X amount of health you have to set it so they try to heal themselves by using a combination of resources, and the chances for success are something like 50% only.. The story is goofy and a little nonsensical, but there are a ton of video game references and jokes that are always being thrown around and for the most part they're usually pretty funny.. Lastly the dungeons themselves are designed to go through in a speedrun, where you get better gear/loot for faster times, there's lots of customization though and if you don't mind fan service and a fair bit of repetition its quite fun if not a little shallow on the story side.

If you're gonna get it i'd recommend doing it soon, they just reprinted it..

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i think its a good game and it gets a bad rap in n/a because most people in n/a are getting bored of jrpgs and most are un fairly reviewed
LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

It's decent. Like someone else said, if you REALLY like JRPGs then you might enjoy it.

yokofox33

Also, this.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PoisoN_Facecam0
Okay, was I the only one who found this game hilarious?
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Just yet another JRPG with a pretty awful story (if you ask me). Nothing game-changing, just simple JRPG technicalities, including voice-acting, soundtrack, combat, etc. Not worth a purchase in my opinion. Visuals are pretty bland as well.

Oh, I should also mention that these opinions stem from playing through it via a rental from gamefly. I did complete the game, but this is what I truly thought by the end of it all.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Young_Charter

If you're gonna get it i'd recommend doing it soon, they just reprinted it..

PoisoN_Facecam0

I have a ton of them at my job (I work at a hood gamestop where JRPG's are lame and COD and GTA are Popular) I even Persona 4 at my Job, so I know we won't loose print of it

Shadow-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Shadow-Elite
Member since 2007 • 18289 Posts

If you really have a fondness for JRPGs, anime and gaming than you can't go wrong. All others need to stay away. You can check out my video review here for more of my opinion.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]If you're gonna get it i'd recommend doing it soon, they just reprinted it..

Young_Charter

I have a ton of them at my job (I work at a hood gamestop where JRPG's are lame and COD and GTA are Popular) I even Persona 4 at my Job, so I know we won't loose print of it

Nice.. I work at a locally owned game shop (only 3 in the world :P) and we sold out of it about 3 hours after we got it in the first time, and like 4 hours after our second shipment.. Persona 4 isn't a limited printing or anything, you can order it anytime pretty much.. But yeah, if you can get a discount or something on it, i'd think its worth it for collection purposes alone, as long as its the collectors edition still, that one is a limited printing. they were going upwards of $120 on eBay
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Young_Charter

If you really have a fondness for JRPGs, anime and gaming than you can't go wrong. All others need to stay away. You can check out my video review here for more of my opinion.

Shadow-Elite
I was looking at your Ar Tonelico video. . Just wanna let you know we have the same Laptop :lol:
BlackendV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BlackendV
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
I hear it is meant to be slightly better than Trinity Universe which I enjoyed. Problem is I think I burnt my self out with that style and It feels a bit like a chore at the moment. I like the themes and concept better and the characters are cool. I'll come back after Ar Tonelico.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

Young_Charter
So its not even worth a 50.00 its more worth a 30-40.00 ?

It's not worth paying for at all. What made you think it was? That was one of the more obvious pieces of crap to come out of the RPG industry.
KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

It's got all the same issues as all the other basic JRPGS ever, which is why it scored low.

But this one's about the console wars. And from what I've heard, it can be pretty darn funny. So if you're willing to put up with the typical JRPG structure, give it a go.

Everyone else, shut up and stay away.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Young_Charter

Everyone else, shut up and stay away.KillerWabbit23

Lmfao. . . I hear u on that 1 bro

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frostybanana

It's got all the same issues as all the other basic JRPGS ever, which is why it scored low.

But this one's about the console wars. And from what I've heard, it can be pretty darn funny. So if you're willing to put up with the typical JRPG structure, give it a go.

KillerWabbit23
Uhh, no? What're you talking about? It does NOT have the same issues other JRPGs have. In fact, it deviates quite a bit from a lot of basic JRPG nuances. Just look at what yoko had to say. No one complains about those kind of things in your typical decent JRPG. The structure of the game is probably the thing that annoys me the most. You go to a dungeon and you do the same rinse and repeat garbage for each one. As for the console wars gimmick that's supposed to be funny...well it's not. it's cute for about 5 minutes and then you really how incredibly hollow the game actually is. Like almost everyone is saying about the game, the truth is the only ones who will put up with that crap are HARDCORE anime/JRPG fans who are willing to look past the glaring flaws of the game.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="KillerWabbit23"]

frostybanana
Uhh, no? What're you talking about? It does NOT have the same issues other JRPGs have. In fact, it deviates quite a bit from a lot of basic JRPG nuances. Just look at what yoko had to say. No one complains about those kind of things in your typical decent JRPG. The structure of the game is probably the thing that annoys me the most. You go to a dungeon and you do the same rinse and repeat garbage for each one. As for the console wars gimmick that's supposed to be funny...well it's not. it's cute for about 5 minutes and then you really how incredibly hollow the game actually is. Like almost everyone is saying about the game, the truth is the only ones who will put up with that crap are HARDCORE anime/JRPG fans who are willing to look past the glaring flaws of the game.

Owww... -_- that was powerful :lol:
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="KillerWabbit23"]

frostybanana

Amen to that. I'm a HUGE JRPG and Japanesy fan, but I even found this game horribly boring and bland. Very shallow and clunky game. Again, I'll probably finish it someday, and it's perhaps not "3" bad like I said, but the absolute most I'd give it is a 5.

If the game weren't so damn clunky and slow it would be more enjoyable. I can live with a bland story if the gameplay is smooth and fun.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

The game is good and i mean a 6.5/10 good, i made a review and tons of others did too, its original since its about console wars and has some funny events but in my opinion i say get Ar Tonelico Qoga since its much much better then Neptunia then get Neptunia once it goes down in price, i recomend Ar Tonelico Qoga ( a 9.5/10 for me )

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PoisoN_Facecam0

The game is good and i mean a 6.5/10 good, i made a review and tons of others did too, its original since its about console wars and has some funny events but in my opinion i say get Ar Tonelico Qoga since its much much better then Neptunia then get Neptunia once it goes down in price, i recomend Ar Tonelico Qoga ( a 9.5/10 for me )

finalstar2007
I'm pretty sure YC already owns Ar Tonelico... and since when did NIS games ever go down in price? :P
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

PoisoN_Facecam0
I'm pretty sure YC already owns Ar Tonelico... and since when did NIS games ever go down in price? :P

I dnt lol :P but I have two of them stashed somewhere at my job so I kinda do :P
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PoisoN_Facecam0
[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Young_Charter

I dnt lol :P but I have two of them stashed somewhere at my job so I kinda do :P

Lol, clever rabbit ;), wait, so you can't just put stuff away or put stuff on hold at EB? We got like a box where employees can keep stuff on hold for however long at my job.. (I got Me and My Katamari and Magna Carta Deluxe Edition PS2 in there right now :D )
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] I'm pretty sure YC already owns Ar Tonelico... and since when did NIS games ever go down in price? :PPoisoN_Facecam0

Lol, clever rabbit ;), wait, so you can't just put stuff away or put stuff on hold at EB? We got like a box where employees can keep stuff on hold for however long at my job.. (I got Me and My Katamari and Magna Carta Deluxe Edition PS2 in there right now :D )

Lol no I just stash em :P
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PoisoN_Facecam0
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="Young_Charter"] I dnt lol :P but I have two of them stashed somewhere at my job so I kinda do :P

I guess that works too ^_^ As long as you don't get in trouble or anything..
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

[QUOTE="KillerWabbit23"]

frostybanana

I don't know man... I played a quite few PS3 and PSP JRPGs (none to completion as they were mostly awful) and they had pretty much the same issues Neptunia allegedly does: hollow narratives/plots; typical characters (you didn't mention this, but I assume the characters in Neptunia all follow the same old archetypes); bland environments; long loading times; cluncky, repetitive (and often, mandatory) dungeon crawling; ****y music; etc. Now, as you probably already assumed, I've never played Neptunia (just read some info and watched a bunch of you tube vids), so I can neither support nor refute the argument that it's "unique" in how bad its structure is or in what its trying to accomplish, but generally speaking, most mediocre, niche anime-esque JRPGs are plagued by relatively comparable issues--and I would assume Neptunia is no exception (of course I may be wrong).

With that said, semantically speaking, it would have been more appropriate if Killer used the term mediocre/crappy/etc. instead of "basic" to describe JRPGs. I view basic as average, and Neptunia is visibly below that mark.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalstar2007

Wow Neptunia 2 is actually coming :P. the company is teasing Neptunia 2 ( which means the game did really well ). also TC once again i'd say check out Ar Tonelico Qoga before Neptunia

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I thought it wasn't bad, but not superb either. About Atelier Rorona, I didn't get very far in that game, but I thought the battle system was pathetic.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finalstar2007

I thought it wasn't bad, but not superb either. About Atelier Rorona, I didn't get very far in that game, but I thought the battle system was pathetic.

Bigboi500

Im close to beating atelier but had to stop to play ar Tonelico, Atelier used to be super fun but this one focus way too much on making items and assignments, hopefully the second game isnt like that

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] Lol, clever rabbit ;), wait, so you can't just put stuff away or put stuff on hold at EB? We got like a box where employees can keep stuff on hold for however long at my job.. (I got Me and My Katamari and Magna Carta Deluxe Edition PS2 in there right now :D )PoisoN_Facecam0

I guess that works too ^_^ As long as you don't get in trouble or anything..

Nah. . Ima be honest but I run that Gamestop lol seriously
CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

If you're into JRPGs then you should get and play it.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Off-topic. But Last Rebellion isn't that good yet I still enjoy playing it.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="KillerWabbit23"]

Rakuho

I don't know man... I played a quite few PS3 and PSP JRPGs (none to completion as they were mostly awful) and they had pretty much the same issues Neptunia allegedly does: hollow narratives/plots; typical characters (you didn't mention this, but I assume the characters in Neptunia all follow the same old archetypes); bland environments; long loading times; cluncky, repetitive (and often, mandatory) dungeon crawling; ****y music; etc. Now, as you probably already assumed, I've never played Neptunia (just read some info and watched a bunch of you tube vids), so I can neither support nor refute the argument that it's "unique" in how bad its structure is or in what its trying to accomplish, but generally speaking, most mediocre, niche anime-esque JRPGs are plagued by relatively comparable issues--and I would assume Neptunia is no exception (of course I may be wrong).

With that said, semantically speaking, it would have been more appropriate if Killer used the term mediocre/crappy/etc. instead of "basic" to describe JRPGs. I view basic as average, and Neptunia is visibly below that mark.

If he said mediocre JRPGs, I would not have said anything. But that isn't what he said and I took it to mean the average JRPG.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

@frosty Well, he said what he said, after all. There's no denying it :lol:. I was just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that what he really meant was "mediocre" or that his personal interpretation of "basic" equates to my interpretation of mediocre (even though the word basic is technically neither synonymous with average nor mediocre-which both happen to be interchangeable terms). And, yes, I realize that that assumption was a bit of a stretch :P. With that said, even if he originally meant it the way you thought he meant it, I still wouldn't have called for any sort of reprimand.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 finalstar2007

I played every single JRPG that came out for PS3 and Netunia is a 6.5/10 game for me... Ar tonelico Qoga which has just been released is a 9.5/10 for me.. pick your choice :)

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Young_Charter

I played every single JRPG that came out for PS3 and Netunia is a 6.5/10 game for me... Ar tonelico Qoga which has just been released is a 9.5/10 for me.. pick your choice :)

finalstar2007
lol. . Hooked eh ? Well don't worry. . I'll be sure to pick it up with this paycheck or next. . It's just that I need to invest properly ;) but will get soon.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

finalstar2007
you have recommended that game 3 times in the last like ten posts. we get it dude
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

MethodManFTW

you have recommended that game 3 times in the last like ten posts. we get it dude

lmao, just making sure :oops: