How to tell if I bought a fake Sony Memory Stick

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Hey guys. I got a 16gb memory stick pro duo yesterday and for some reason, the transfer speed seemed slower than my old 4gb one. They're both magicgate supported and mark 2.

I did a test and with my 4gb one, God of War Chains installed at 5 min, while my 16gb installed it around 7 min.

I checked online on how to tell a fake from a real one, and mine does say its magicgate supported. But I don't know why it's slower?

Anyone else experience something similar, like difference in transfer or install speed when you upgraded to a bigger memory stick?

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Just check the back of the memory card you should see something like MS-MT16G.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ASK_Story
Just check the back of the memory card you should see something like MS-MT16G.Devil-Itachi
It's MS-MT16G. I think it's genuine. It's just a little bit slower. It's not slow to a crawl but it's noticeable. I guess that's how it's just manufactured. It was also cheaper than the PSP brand, which is odd, since it's a Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark 2 from Sony. I wonder if memory sticks have different performances. But none of my games stutter, lag, or anything like that. It works fine. I just don't like the transfer speed.
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts
[QUOTE="Devil-Itachi"]Just check the back of the memory card you should see something like MS-MT16G.ASK_Story
It's MS-MT16G. I think it's genuine. It's just a little bit slower. It's not slow to a crawl but it's noticeable. I guess that's how it's just manufactured. It was also cheaper than the PSP brand, which is odd, since it's a Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark 2 from Sony. I wonder if memory sticks have different performances. But none of my games stutter, lag, or anything like that. It works fine. I just don't like the transfer speed.

Weren't ther several "CLasses" of the MMCs? Like CLass 2 class 6 etc?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="Devil-Itachi"]Just check the back of the memory card you should see something like MS-MT16G.j2zon2591

Hmm...never heard of that. All I know is that there was a Pro Duo and a Pro Duo Mark 2.
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="j2zon2591"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"] It's MS-MT16G. I think it's genuine. It's just a little bit slower. It's not slow to a crawl but it's noticeable. I guess that's how it's just manufactured. It was also cheaper than the PSP brand, which is odd, since it's a Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark 2 from Sony. I wonder if memory sticks have different performances. But none of my games stutter, lag, or anything like that. It works fine. I just don't like the transfer speed.

Hmm...never heard of that. All I know is that there was a Pro Duo and a Pro Duo Mark 2.

My bad. I think those "classes" are for Micro SDs. I am sorry.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
My transfer speeds have always been about the same but I always get the low end sony card. Only have a 4gb now but am going to get a 16 over christmas
pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
Triangle on Music/Video -----> Information If it says "MagicGate supported", it's genuine.