How to hook up a PS3 to a standard TV with a HD convertor box?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demzalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 demzalf
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I was lucky to score a 60gb PS3 from a friend of mine. It was used, but he tested it and said it worked great. I knew for the longest about its backwards compatibility with older PS systems/games and for $290 it was a steal. Mind you, I don't have a 42" or higher flatscreen TV in HD. I have a standard flat panel TV that's currently hooked up to an HD convertor box. I was told by the friend who tested it that it would only work on a HDTV, but can't I get it to work on my flat panel with a convertor box? I have 2 wireless controllers, the power cord, AV cables, PS2/PS3 memory card adaptor and one USB cord for charging the controllers. Everything works and the system turns on, but no screen on the TV shows up.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Do I need an S-Video cable or HDMI cables? I'm pretty sure the HDMI cables are if I do in fact have a flatscreen HDTV, which I don't(sadly). I'm a longtime PS2 gamer, but new to the whole PS3 thing.

Help a brother out.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
HD converter box? A TV being HD is dependent on the amount of pixels in your screen, there is no such thing as a "converter box" Also, PS3's do work on SDTV's, hell they do not even come with HD cables. Your friend clearly has no idea what he is talking about