How to fix broken PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KingNabster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KingNabster
Member since 2006 • 420 Posts

So my PS3 is broken, how do I send it to Sony to get it fixed, is it covered like MS covers it?

Looked all online, and couldnt figure out a place to send it!!!

dan-ger999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dan-ger999
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
phone sony, tell them the problem. they may tell you to do a full system restore. but they will send you a replacement ps3, and you exchange your broken one to the courier.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
phone the Sony help line and they'll help you make the appropriate arrangements to send it in.. PS3 has a 1 year warranty from sony, but you can also pay them to fix it.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

So my PS3 is broken, how do I send it to Sony to get it fixed, is it covered like MS covers it?

Looked all online, and couldnt figure out a place to send it!!!

KingNabster

As posted above you should contact Sony support. And as long as the system is in the 1 year warranty period then your covered but if it's past this point then you will have to pay a repair fee unless you bought a extended warranty when you purchased your system. As for covering the system like the other system it doesn't cover for the extended time which really is a joke because it only covers one of the problems this system has and nothing else.

tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
duct tape :) that fixes everything.
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

Since when does the PS3 ever break?

payt23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 payt23

My PS3 can start up but when i put a game in tge loading dot pops up but nothing happens after that it justy stays there. What should i do?

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
The PS3 has a 1 year warranty. I'm not sure what they do after that. I know MS will fix a busted 360, but they can charge over $100. With an arcade costing $200, it makes more sense to just buy new. With the cheapest PS3 being $400, it isn't really an option. I hope Sony doesn't charge too much for fixing.
carterhc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 carterhc
Member since 2007 • 131 Posts

its cost more than ms to fix a ps3 if you dont have the one year warranty or extended warranty

i think its 150US for the states and i know its 170CAN for Canada, Ive had to do it

RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts

My PS3 can start up but when i put a game in tge loading dot pops up but nothing happens after that it justy stays there. What should i do?

payt23

Trying cleaning the disc... That's what mine did... Just wiped the disc off and it worked for me... just saying. Does it only happen on one game? Does the same thing happen on PSN games?

jojack23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jojack23
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hey does any one know what the hells wrong wit my ps3. I was watching a regular movie, (it was only on for ten minutes , so no way it could of overheated). and the blue and green power light when out and a red light came on blinked twice and the system beeped once or twice, then the red light when out as if the main power was shut off. i checked the power cord plug-in and the breakers in the house and everrything is fine. i was bought a repair manuel for PS3 and it doesn't cover the issue I'm having
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

just give sony a call

dadoesch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dadoesch
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

jojack, is your PS3 plugged into a power strip or straight into a wall outlet? You may have had a power surge which would have interrupted the power to the PS3 (a strong surge could damage your PS3's components). Try unplugging it, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in. If it works, great. If not, probably will have to call Sony. If you don't have a power strip, get one. It's the best protection for problems like that.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

How do you people break your PS3s? I've had 3 for years and they've ran flawless, I don't get it.

Avatar image for first_insomniac
first_insomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 first_insomniac
hey quick question does any one have the number to call. thanks.
chokadachicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chokadachicken

My Ps3 just broke last night, I called the Sony number on the box. I'm not under warranty, so I have to pay $150. that sucks especially since I paid $650. I called the support center and they told me I can keep my Hdd, since I have all my info on there. The best thing to do is call Sony, it's their product and You don't want to void any warranty.

kingthugx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kingthugx
my ps3 could turn on and everything but the only thing thats wrong is everytime i put any game on the loading dot pops out and nothing happens the game dont appear under game :-(
osharon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osharon1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
My playstation 3 will not turn on. Don't know why. Any body out there had this problem?
gamerzgod123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamerzgod123
I was playing New Vegas, it stops working, I put in Assassin's Creed 2, the disc stops halfway in, I push it in, it doesn't read the disc, I try to eject, loud buzzy noise, I get scared, turn it off, turn it back on again, loud buzzy noise, and still no disc, wth do I do?
holeofdarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 holeofdarkness
I browse the internet the other day and came across a site who claim that it is possible to fix ps3 under an hour but i think it could only possible if it is only a minor problems. http://how-to-fix-ps3-under-one-hour.blogspot.com/
joebags2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 joebags2001
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
My ps3 has broken 3 times with the same problem. It just stops reading discs. I was able to get it working once by formating the system, and I had to send it in once. Now it is broke again, and formating is not working. It is bulls#@t!
LEBELLO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LEBELLO07
k so my ps3 stopped reading discs........ i was wondering could i just replace the blu-ray lens and get a new harddrive and all would be fine? or with the cost of those 2 things would it be better to purchase a newer system? Seeing that my system is the old fat 80GB'r
pwnageperson32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pwnageperson32
My PS3 was also hit with a power surge, the blue and green lights still come on when I turn it on, but no audio or video is outputed by HDMI or the red, white, and yellow cord thing. Please help!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Yeah dude, youtube is how I fixed mine.

If its a disc issue then send it in to sony and they'll fix it fine, but they charge $120 if you aren't covered in the one year warranty.

If its YLoD then you are kind of boned. Sony can't fix it so they just send you a brand new one (which means you gotta back up your data and use lose a slot in any accounts you have online PSN), and the fix only keeps it alive for another few months at best.

There is a more permanent fix that gets it back close to new in lasting, but it pretty much requires surgical precision and workshop tools so its best to just send it in or get a new one.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
3 year old thread.