How to connect PS3 to PC monitor via HDMI cable?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kleeyook (5213 posts) -

Well. I can't buy HDTV for some reason but I want to play PS3. So I'm gonna buy a new PC monitor to play it. PS3 has no VGA suppoart so I have to buy a HD monitor with HDMI input. I found 2 choices.

1. 24'' with 1HDMI, VGA, DVI and inbuilt speakers

2. 22'' with 2HDMI, DVI, no VGA and no inbuilt speakers

Which one should I get? 1 or 2?

I have heard someone post that they can't get sound with HDMI slot. I don't quite understand though. Is it enough with just 1HDMI slot to get both sound and video?

I don't know how do people connect PS3 to speakers. :P

#2 Posted by Oxymandias (330 posts) -

Hi there, Before I got a 40 inch HDTV I connected my PS3 to my computer monitor via HDMI, but since the monitor didn't support audio I had to use the scart output for audio.

So PS3 HDMI-> Monitor HDMI

and

PS3 SCART->Computer speeker via female phone to male jack adaptors

Works fine.. Would be simpilar if you got a monitor with HDMI and internal speakers that work off HDMI audio!!

Oink..

#3 Posted by Spy_106 (712 posts) -
As DVI doesn't support Audio as I know Use the red and white cables that came with the PS3 and put them into an adapter then your speakers as Oxy said as I did too And also the graphics are nice I'm using Samsung 2253BW 22Inch also connected to Creative Speakers
#4 Posted by lextexrex (1311 posts) -
A quick question: how much are you getting those monitors for exactly?
#5 Posted by Silverdragon17 (664 posts) -
Get a hdmi to dvi cable or one of the newer dell monitors that have a hdmi port. Use your red and yellow component cables, RCA to phono jack convertor or somehting similar to plug it in some speaker. I have my audio going through a mounted soundbar speaker on my 22 inch dell.
#6 Posted by WalterPeck (371 posts) -

1. HDMI carries sound, but that doesn't mean the monitor will have speakers.

2. DVI carries no sound. It is identical in every other way to HDMI, so only a converter would be needed if the monitor did not have HDMI.

3. The monitor must be HDCP compatible. This should be in the specs for the monitor. If you can't find information about it, it's NOT HDCP compatible, and will NOT work except with an HDCP stripping box of some kind, which are expensive.

#7 Posted by Kleeyook (5213 posts) -

1. HDMI carries sound, but that doesn't mean the monitor will have speakers.

2. DVI carries no sound. It is identical in every other way to HDMI, so only a converter would be needed if the monitor did not have HDMI.

3. The monitor must be HDCP compatible. This should be in the specs for the monitor. If you can't find information about it, it's NOT HDCP compatible, and will NOT work except with an HDCP stripping box of some kind, which are expensive.

WalterPeck
24'' is HDCP compatible, resolution 1920x1200, 1HDMI, VGA, DVI, and inbuilt speakers. But I don't understand which cables I should use to play PS3 with this.
#8 Posted by Kleeyook (5213 posts) -
A quick question: how much are you getting those monitors for exactly?lextexrex
I live in Sweden. We use SEK. 8SEK = 1USD. 22'' is about 3199SEK = 400USD. 24'' is about 3499SEK = 440USD.

Hi there, Before I got a 40 inch HDTV I connected my PS3 to my computer monitor via HDMI, but since the monitor didn't support audio I had to use the scart output for audio.

So PS3 HDMI-> Monitor HDMI

and

PS3 SCART->Computer speeker via female phone to male jack adaptors

Works fine.. Would be simpilar if you got a monitor with HDMI and internal speakers that work off HDMI audio!!

Oink..

Oxymandias
Sorry! I don't quite understand what u meant. Did u mean even if the monitor has internal speakers, sound won't work with just 1HDMI but I have to get that RCA phono female to male adaptors in order to get sound?
#9 Posted by Egyptman786 (1152 posts) -
or u can save ur money and get a HDMI to DVI cable and buy a cheeper monitor with out hdmi
#10 Posted by RomanticFool (203 posts) -
The bigger the better. 24" is kinda small depending on the price... especially considering you can get good Sony 1080P LCD HDTVs for 750s right now.
#11 Posted by CosmoKing7717 (4602 posts) -
As DVI doesn't support Audio as I know Use the red and white cables that came with the PS3 and put them into an adapter then your speakers as Oxy said as I did too And also the graphics are nice I'm using Samsung 2253BW 22Inch also connected to Creative SpeakersSpy_106
I do the same with almost the exact same monitor xD (2253lw) My red and white goes 3.5 mm jack into my pc into my logitech speakers...so great xD
#12 Posted by Kleeyook (5213 posts) -
Bump! I don't quite understand. U mean that even if I have internal speakers in my monitor, I have to buy speakers separately and find some adapters to get sound?
#13 Posted by CosmoKing7717 (4602 posts) -
Bump! I don't quite understand. U mean that even if I have internal speakers in my monitor, I have to buy speakers separately and find some adapters to get sound?Kleeyook
IT DEPENDS on what you are using. If you are using a plain old HDMI cable hooked up to a monitor that has an HDMI slot, then the sound will transfer through. If you use an HDMI to DVI cable to hook into the DVI slot of a monitor, the sound will not travel through and you will have to find another option to get the sound
#14 Posted by Kleeyook (5213 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kleeyook"]Bump! I don't quite understand. U mean that even if I have internal speakers in my monitor, I have to buy speakers separately and find some adapters to get sound?CosmoKing7717
IT DEPENDS on what you are using. If you are using a plain old HDMI cable hooked up to a monitor that has an HDMI slot, then the sound will transfer through. If you use an HDMI to DVI cable to hook into the DVI slot of a monitor, the sound will not travel through and you will have to find another option to get the sound

Does that mean I only need to use ONE HDMI cable for PS3 to get both video and sound?
#15 Posted by CosmoKing7717 (4602 posts) -
[QUOTE="CosmoKing7717"][QUOTE="Kleeyook"]Bump! I don't quite understand. U mean that even if I have internal speakers in my monitor, I have to buy speakers separately and find some adapters to get sound?Kleeyook

Does that mean I only need to use ONE HDMI cable for PS3 to get both video and sound?

if it is a normal HDMI cable i believe so o.o if your monitor has speakers or a sound output that external speakers are hooked up to
#16 Posted by Kleeyook (5213 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kleeyook"][QUOTE="CosmoKing7717"] IT DEPENDS on what you are using. If you are using a plain old HDMI cable hooked up to a monitor that has an HDMI slot, then the sound will transfer through. If you use an HDMI to DVI cable to hook into the DVI slot of a monitor, the sound will not travel through and you will have to find another option to get the soundCosmoKing7717

if it is a normal HDMI cable i believe so o.o if your monitor has speakers or a sound output that external speakers are hooked up to

Umm. I mean internal speakers in monitor, not external.
#17 Posted by CosmoKing7717 (4602 posts) -
[QUOTE="CosmoKing7717"][QUOTE="Kleeyook"] Does that mean I only need to use ONE HDMI cable for PS3 to get both video and sound?Kleeyook

Umm. I mean internal speakers in monitor, not external.

yea it will work ^.^ ...i believe...xD
#18 Posted by SoNin360 (6764 posts) -
Could I really play my Ps3 on my monitor? We just got a new computer+ monitor and it happens to be in HD at 720P. My parents just bought a really expensive (idk why) HD cable for the computer. So could I like unhook that from the computer and place it in my Ps3? and of course i can plug in the main power to a near outlet too, and idk about the colored cable thingies, but i think theres a spot on my computer that something like that can plug in but im not sure what it's for.
#19 Posted by gikiller4 (25 posts) -
i am able to connect my ps3 to my samsung 24 in monitor via just hdmi, but my monitor does not have built in speakers. Am i able to use the AV cables from my ps3 and use the audio part to connect to my speakers using the adapters or will it not work because my primary is hdmi.
#20 Posted by Cataclism (1537 posts) -

Personally I would go for the 24' one because of the larger size and the resolution.

I have my ps3 connected by HDMI to my 24', no speaker pc monitor. For sound, I used the scart and an adaptor (which are cheap and easy to find) to connect it to my 5.1 speakers.

Works fine, the only problem is that I have to change the speaker cables manually depending on whether I'm using the ps3 or the pc.

Since my monitor only has 1 HDMI slot I connect the pc with the vga cable. I tested it before to see if it looked better with vga or hdmi and I couldn't see any difference at all.

#21 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -

Your PS3 can hook to HDMI or (DVI to HDM) convertor cord to monitor, the sound wont go thru the PC monitor bcuz PC monitors and sound are not connected, but you can use a red and white composite cord to PC speakers, or optical cord to a sound system.

Avatar image for 239923210228658420598666142288
#22 Posted by 239923210228658420598666142288 (364 posts) -

i will tell you how i have connected my ps3 to benq e2200hd monitor. it has 1 hdmi port through whcih i have connected ps3 i.e. via hdmi and for sound my monitor has headphone jack in which i connect speakers (creative 2.1 speakers) and it also has 2volt 2 inbuilt speakers which are there only for name sake. so i recommend you get a monitor with hdmi port and with a headphone jack through which u can connect speakers and get sound/audio.

#23 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
A quick question: how much are you getting those monitors for exactly?lextexrex
And why can't he get an HDTV?
#25 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -
[QUOTE="AuSSieSoNG"]SONY CAN'T FIX THIS PROBLEM STILL> This is the Latest answer I got from them. "We are aware of reports that the recent PlayStation 3 system software update (version 4.45) has caused the XMB to not display on a small number of PS3 systems. We have temporarily taken 4.45 offline and are investigating the cause of the problem. We will announce when the system update is available for download as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience." SO JUST HANG IN THERE AND KEEP WHINGING AND WHINING AND SOMETHING WILL GET DONE.

Your post has nothing to do with this thread, and this thread is 4 years old.