How much do you think the PS3 price will drop this Xmas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blackhorsemen
Member since 2006 • 1200 Posts

How much do you think the PS3 price will drop this Xmas? We all know Sony will drop the price just to sell more PS3s . I hope its a $100 drop and it comes bundled with Spider Man 3 Blu ray movie ,( I know im asking for too much )

pokerchamp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pokerchamp1
Member since 2005 • 1419 Posts
I don't think there's going to be a drop in price......at least not this Holdiay season. Try sometime next year...
Ultra-Alue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ultra-Alue
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts

If they really want to make the Ps3 a great seller, they need to drop the price down to 400.

Sony has tons of money and can survive it. Plus they are still making great profits off of the Playstation 2.

CSI24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 CSI24
Member since 2003 • 2049 Posts
I don't think there will be any price drop this year. Maybe next year but not this year
pokerchamp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pokerchamp1
Member since 2005 • 1419 Posts

If they really want to make the Ps3 a great seller, they need to drop the price down to 400.

Sony has tons of money and can survive it. Plus they are still making great profits off of the Playstation 2.

Ultra-Alue
I'm sure that is the smart thing to do, but I can GUARANTEE you. There will NOT be a price drop this year...
blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackhorsemen

I don't think there's going to be a drop in price......at least not this Holdiay season. Try sometime next year...pokerchamp1

Well , a sony executive said there will be one. . .

CSI24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CSI24

[QUOTE="pokerchamp1"]I don't think there's going to be a drop in price......at least not this Holdiay season. Try sometime next year...blackhorsemen

He's probably bluffing IMO

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Ultra-Alue

The most they will drop the price down to is $500. Even that isn't really enough, but it'll be a good start. They are going to lose more billions however in the process. The profits they are making off the PS2 is minimal. They are losing more with the PS3 then they are gaining with the PS2. That's one of the reason they had a billion dollar quarter loss. We'll see what happens this holiday. Should be interesting.

Ultra-Alue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ultra-Alue
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts
They are going to lose more billions however in the process.

blackace

lol oh well

Let them worry about it. The rest of us (gamers) shouldn't have to.

blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blackhorsemen

If sony is smart enough they will drop it , MS will drop the 360 price early next year , soSony better do something ,

At least a $50 price drop would be nice with a Spider man 3 blu ray movie or Motorstorm bundled

CSI24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CSI24
[QUOTE="Ultra-Alue"]

blackace

The most they will drop the price down to is $500. Even that isn't really enough, but it'll be a good start. They are going to lose more billions however in the process. The profits they are making off the PS2 is minimal. They are losing more with the PS3 then they are gaining with the PS2. That's one of the reason they had a billion dollar quarter loss. We'll see what happens this holiday. Should be interesting.

It's going to get to the point where the systems and accessories are going to cost you both arms and legs

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

If sony is smart enough they will drop it , MS will drop the 360 price early next year , soSony better do something ,

At least a $50 price drop would be nice with a Spider man 3 blu ray movie or Motorstorm bundled

blackhorsemen

M$ & Sony are both going to drop the price of their systems this year. There's no question about it. One won't drop the price without the other retaliating. It's just a matter of who will announce the price drop first.

blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blackhorsemen
[QUOTE="blackhorsemen"]

blackace

M$ & Sony are both going to drop the price of their systems this year. There's no question about it. One won't drop the price without the other retaliating. It's just a matter of who will announce the price drop first.

but Sony is in a bigger rush , since the ps3 costs $200 more (but has a lot more stuff in it)

CSI24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CSI24
[QUOTE="blackhorsemen"]

blackace

If it comes down to that than I think Sony will be the first one to do it

blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blackhorsemen

when do you think the PS3 will be 300 bucks? Since that´s all Im willing to spend on a ps3

TOSgamer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 TOSgamer10
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts

[QUOTE="pokerchamp1"]I don't think there's going to be a drop in price......at least not this Holdiay season. Try sometime next year...blackhorsemen

He said they are looking into it. That most definitely is not a confirmation. At most I see a $100 drop. Any thing more would put them back in the same situation as when it launched, losing $240ish per unit.
jacky531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jacky531
Member since 2007 • 1121 Posts
[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="blackhorsemen"]

CSI24

If it comes down to that than I think Sony will be the first one to do it

I hope so and by $100 too since $50 won't make much of a difference except for the taxes

jacky531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jacky531
Member since 2007 • 1121 Posts

when do you think the PS3 will be 300 bucks? Since that´s all Im willing to spend on a ps3

blackhorsemen

That'll either be in 2009 or 2010

novangeljohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 novangeljohnny
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Probaly a 150$ drop. Then next year, another 150$ drop.
blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blackhorsemen
[QUOTE="blackhorsemen"]

jacky531

Wellmaybe $350 is all Im willing to spend . . .

CSI24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CSI24
[QUOTE="blackhorsemen"]

jacky531

In time for the Playstation 4:lol:

mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts
$50 with a extra controller, movie, or game.
blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blackhorsemen
[QUOTE="jacky531"][QUOTE="blackhorsemen"]

CSI24

In time for the Playstation 4:lol:

Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts

Unless the price of the tech within the system, don't expect a change in price for the system itself. As was stated earlier, at the most, don't expect anything greater than a $100 decrease. And, even THAT is stretching it. Anything more, and it WILL put a strain on the company already struggling as it is. Anything more, and they may as well go bankrupt. Yes...Sony does have the cash. But, to make up for the cost of producing such a serious machine as this? This isn'tsome cheap toy that can just be made, and thrown out there.

ebax7588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ebax7588
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts
The philosophy on video game consoles has always followed the old saying "you give away razors to sell the blades." You take an upfront loss on the sale of your console but make that back from the sale of 1st party accessories and games. The problem with the PS3 is that Sony is still taking a huge loss on every PS3 sold, upwards of 200 or 300 dollars based on certain variables. While both NIntendo and Microsoft making profits on every console they sell. I remember reading that Nintendo's take is 50 dollars a console sold while Microsoft pockets 80 to 100 dollars per console sold. The fact of the matter is that if Sony does drop the price, they're only widening the gap to profitability while Microsoft or even Nintendo could retaliate with it's own price drop and still break even. I'm not advocating one console over another here, I'm just saying that from a business perspective Sony is in a pickle right now.
blackhorsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blackhorsemen

Unless the price of the tech within the system, don't expect a change in price for the system itself. As was stated earlier, at the most, don't expect anything greater than a $100 decrease. Anything more, and it WILL put a strain on the company already struggling as it is.

darkangel_78589

but a 100 dollar price drop would drive sales a lot faster .

IbukiNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IbukiNinja
Member since 2007 • 878 Posts
$100 minimum.
CSI24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CSI24
[QUOTE="darkangel_78589"]

Unless the price of the tech within the system, don't expect a change in price for the system itself. As was stated earlier, at the most, don't expect anything greater than a $100 decrease. Anything more, and it WILL put a strain on the company already struggling as it is.

blackhorsemen

The only way I see a price drop is if Sony comes out with a 80gb Playstation 3, and I don't see that happening anytime soon

darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darkangel_78589
[QUOTE="darkangel_78589"]

blackhorsemen

While at the same time driving the company out of the gaming business. As I said in my revamping of my prevous post. This isn't a simple machine to just make, and ship out there. Everything in it costs money. Money that the company has to pay from their own pockets. Huge pockets they may be. But, it's still a pretty penny nonetheless.

Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts
I think it'll be $499.99 if they do it at all. The Soney executive said he's considering a drop, not that one was for certain. Though I don't know if we'd survive without one. There may even be deals of $449.99 with a free game during the holidays I think. We'll see I guess.
TOSgamer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TOSgamer10
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts

blackhorsemen
You might as well stop visiting the ps3 forums for a while. haha Your asking for a 50% drop. Just look at the ps2. Started at $299 down to $129 almost 7 years later. Even the psp which started at $299 is still $169 in a stripped down form (memory stick, headphones, carrying case, cleaning cloth all removed) 2.5 years later.
FstBrk342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FstBrk342
Member since 2005 • 1527 Posts
itll be a $100 drop i think, im not ewxpecting much more but they better announce how much soon because iwas going to buy one over the summer but if its worth waiting then watever
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts
If they drop it this year, which I doubt they will since a Xbox360 price drop won't happen this year, It'll probably be $100 at the most. I think they'll try to pump out as many AAA games as possible to justify the cost of the console this year, then maybe next year there will be a price cut.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
Actually Sony did say they were reveiwing the price but this doesn't mean a price drop. It could actually be a slight price increase instead. This would help narrow there margin of loss on the console.
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts
Considering the 20gig didn't sell good at 500$, I don't think a 100$ price drop will make sells. Though if the price is dropped, i'd say it would be 100$ bundled with a upcoming blu-ray release *probably spider man 3*.
Prints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Prints
Member since 2003 • 178 Posts
i predict this xmas the ps3 price will drop $0 :)
CSI24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CSI24

Considering the 20gig didn't sell good at 500$, I don't think a 100$ price drop will make sells. Though if the price is dropped, i'd say it would be 100$ bundled with a upcoming blu-ray release *probably spider man 3*.hazuki

That's because people compared the 20gb model to the $400 Xbox 360 and that's why the 20gb Playstation 3 failed IMO

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
$100. i would love if they made a deal get one 1st party sony game free, we could get uncharted, heavenly sword, ratchet or Lair.i admit thats really hopeful thinking.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts
[QUOTE="Ultra-Alue"]

blackace

you should really get your numbers straight. Sony lost over a billion dollars for the ENTIRE FISCAL YEAR 2007(ending March 2007). not for a quarter like you say.

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 eclipsed4utoo

Unless the price of the tech within the system, don't expect a change in price for the system itself. As was stated earlier, at the most, don't expect anything greater than a $100 decrease. And, even THAT is stretching it. Anything more, and it WILL put a strain on the company already struggling as it is. Anything more, and they may as well go bankrupt. Yes...Sony does have the cash. But, to make up for the cost of producing such a serious machine as this? This isn'tsome cheap toy that can just be made, and thrown out there.

darkangel_78589

anybody who thinks Sony may go bankrupt needs to take a couple of business and economics classes and learn a little.

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 eclipsed4utoo

Considering the 20gig didn't sell good at 500$, I don't think a 100$ price drop will make sells. Though if the price is dropped, i'd say it would be 100$ bundled with a upcoming blu-ray release *probably spider man 3*.hazuki

the 20GB not selling wasn't because of it's price. it was because the 60GB was far better for "only" $100 more.

darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 darkangel_78589

eclipsed4utoo...Okay...Perhaps I over-exaggerated a bit. But, to think that they can live through a massive price drop, at this early a stage, assuming, of course, that the items used to create the system don't lower in price themselves, is truly foolish. But, again,I digress.Unless the price for the internal items for the system, unless it drops, there will not be a drastic drop in price for the system.