How many think Assassin's Creed 2 is better than Uncharted 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KristoffBrujah
Member since 2005 • 1860 Posts

Don't get me wrong, Uncharted 2 was a great game. Drake is very cool and Indy-like. The graphics and puzzles are great.

But after playing Assassin's Creed 2 (on PS3), I found it to be a clearly superior game. Easily the best game of the year. Here's why:

Characters/Story- Ezio and Drake are both great leads. But Ezio changes as the game goes along. He starts as a brash youth and ends as a mature and thoughtful man. I will never forget the prideful Ezio, who yelled his name for all the betrayers to hear after killing Uberto Alberti. His reasons for continuing were more compelling than Drake's, and the questionable decisions by Drake seemed a bit contrived to make the story draw out (he could have ended Flynn like a million times, including right before Flynn nearly killed someone important to Drake.)

Gameplay- Both had great gameplay. I actually prefer the combat in Uncharted 2 more than AC2, mainly because it was difficult. If there's one flaw in AC2, it's the lack of difficulty. My problem is the platforming in Uncharted: sometimes inconsistent. Drake would sometimes float horizontally to make an impossible jump, and sometimes he would just die trying to grab (what appeared to me) a very obvious handhold. Whoops, that wasn't the correct way, try again. Ezio was never really so constrained in his platforming- there was never really a "guess the one right path or you die reaching for an apparent handhold" scenario. And the physics were consistent throughout. Also, AC2 had better stealth play.

I feel like I'm in bizarro land when I see threads like "Uncharted 2 = greatest ever." It does deserve that level of praise. But I don't see the same for AC2, which in my mind was clearly the best all year (and in several years.) I love DAO too and am a Bioware fanboy to the core, but AC2 just spanked everything this year.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
You lost me at "Superior".
KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KristoffBrujah

You lost me at "Superior".Symphonycometh

That's okay. It's probably too long for most, but I needed to get it off my chest. :)

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

I may get flamed for this, but here it goes. AC2 was just more of the same. I didn't find it to be any more fun than the first. Quite frankly, I think it sucks.

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts
You think AC2 is better then U2 and i think cute guys in dress are freaking awesome, the magic of personal opinions.
FF6fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 FF6fan
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts
Nope Uncharted 2 is better than AC2....AC2 controls are finicky at times...jumping off buildings when you don't want to and sometimes places where you'd think you could grab onto you can't. AC2 is a great game and i had fun playing it while it lasted but Uncharted 2 is better. Uncharted has better replay value, a pretty good MP/co-op, and it's story is far superior. AC2 has a good variety of missions but after you finish the game there is really no reason to play it again not to mention for more than half the game i didn't know why i was doing some assasinations(which kinda makes the story almost non-existent).
KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KristoffBrujah

I may get flamed for this, but here it goes. AC2 was just more of the same. I didn't find it to be any more fun than the first. Quite frankly, I think it sucks.

caseystryker

That's interesting because I despised the first for its repetitive nature and bland main character. AC2 fixed those problems, but not for everyone it seems.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
You think AC2 is better then U2 and i think cute guys in dress are freaking awesome, the magic of personal opinions. marcl18123
My heterosexuality is telling me to give you props for the honesty. But no, this doesn't mean I can't recognize 80% of anime traps. :P
KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KristoffBrujah

You think AC2 is better then U2 and i think cute guys in dress are freaking awesome, the magic of personal opinions. marcl18123

Most probably understand that opinions are subjective, and that I was making one when I used the word "better" in the title.

I'm not really sure what your reply adds to the discussion, but thanks anyway. ;)

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

[QUOTE="marcl18123"]You think AC2 is better then U2 and i think cute guys in dress are freaking awesome, the magic of personal opinions. KristoffBrujah

Most probably understand that opinions are subjective, and that I was making one when I used the word "better" in the title.

I'm not really sure what your reply adds to the discussion, but thanks anyway. ;)

Im saying that i disagree with you, but you are free to believe whatever you like. There's no point in me trying to prove to you that U2 is better then AC2 (my opinion), as you have already decided on what game you like more.
rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rahul_batta
Member since 2004 • 1363 Posts
I disagree. I loved Assassins Creed 2, don't get me wrong and there is a ton to do, but the story of U2 was definitely the superior of the two. Plus characters in Uncharted are better developed and more interesting. And don't get me started on the jumping. I hated it for whatever reason. At times it was like alright I really didn't do anything and it ended up looking really cool, but a lot of times its frustrating.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

i disagree with that. uncharted 2 was a far suprior experience than ac2.

gameplay in u2 is a lot better, it has some flaws, but i found in ac2

so many times trying to run about climbing up walls and wrong moments.

plus you cant beat the story and the characters from u2, in ac2 it was all the same.

you say in ac2 is was better due to the aging factor from youth to full assasin bare in mind

ac2 is best over a good 20years(a guess as i cant remember at this moment) so he had to grow up

u2 was based on a few weeks if that.

plus like i found from the first even tho i found this one was more enjoyable but the whole killing someone

was exactly the same over n over, each kill was like the last, and the fightin i hated it, the only way

to kill them is by counter attacking, if u just try and fight them more times than not ur just hitting there sword

overall as much as i liked playin through ac2, thats me done for that game, i dont feel as tho i cud sit through

it all again. but with u2, it's more like a film so i cud quite easily sit through it again, plus the characters are

alot more appealing and have a sense of likeabilty to them.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
ac2 was amazing. i definitely liked it better but u2 is still one of the best games out there.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

No, Uncharted 2 was a lot better

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

Assassin's Creed II was probably my all time favorite game of 2009. I have yet to play Uncharted 2, so I can't agree or disagree with you yet.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
honestly im tired of hearing how a character changing makes the game a stronger story. We already know drake, if he changed each time a game came out ... well that would feel a bit contrived imo. Drake is who he is and if he changed his witty humor wouldnt be the great part of the script that it is. I felt like the strongest part of UC2 was the script. I laughed more than most "humorous" games and enjoyed the romp the whole way through.
ks1990steelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ks1990steelman
Member since 2009 • 1418 Posts
Maybe AC2 has better (actually, much more better) storyline but for me gameplay comes first. I played AC1 and I found it so borind that I didn't buy AC2. But UC2 has really great gameplay... so UC > AC...
fishman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fishman100
Member since 2007 • 226 Posts

I dont know how people are even Comparing AC2 to a Great game like Uncharted 2. i mean this is Ridiculous. I just finished AC2 . THe ending was very Bad . One of the most stupid ending i have seen on the ps3. The game was more or less like AC1. didnt find anything ground breaking anywhere and 9 was a very Courteous score by gamespot for them. On the other hand Uncharted 2 is just too good. A True 9.5 earner and GOTY candidate. With groud breaking gfx and gameplay. Very nice. just look at the bus climbing its so revolutionary new kind of gameplay. Ac2 is just same old kill and run. I found uncharted 2 to be the best from very angle and demons souls is surely a game which can be compared to it but Ac2 comparison makes me laugh.

I mean Ac2 is not even a candidate for GOTY on the ps3 where we have games like Uncharted 2, demons souls and Killzone 2.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Uncharted 2 was great, but Assassin's Creed 2 wins the gold for being such a refreshing and overall excellent adventure which really learned how to improve itself as a sequel and deliver the promise of being an assassin the first game only managed to establish the foundations for. Beat both games within the first few days of getting them, and while U2 left me satisfied, AC2 had me starved for more - not because it lacked content, but because it had so much to keep me hooked. So yeah, AC2 > U2 is how I roll.
Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
AC2 was a good game but had a few control issues.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
AC II is much, much better than AC 1 and better than I was expecting. While I do think UC 2 is the more enjoyable and better game, AC II is the most improved sequel of the year. The dodgy facial animation, some dumb-as-a-brick AI and control issues are the only problems.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
ACII was my personal GOTY last year with Uncharted 2nd so yeah I agree. I loved the first game (one of the few it seems) and for ACII to improve on it so much, it was just an amazing experience.
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

I kind of agree, I haven't played Uncharted 2 admittedly I thought the first Uncharted was really boring so I haven't even given U2 a chance.

Assassins Creed 2 on the other hand completely changed my views on AC, the first AC was a snooze fest as well but AC2 was awesome, it may be the same for Uncharted, perhaps I will pick it up one of these days.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
AC2 was a good game but had a few control issues. Keir21
AC2 wasn't the only one. U2 is an awesome game, but I'm repeatedly finding myself in tight places where the camera, control, and cover will all be working against you at once. I actually have had a harder time with this in U2. My only beef with AC2 is when I want to do certain moves Ezio doesn't always respond in time. He's Italian, so he does what he wants! Kapeesh!?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
A well desingned cinematic story with Nolan North's voice and linear non repettive gameplay defeats Repettion creed any time!!!

[QUOTE="caseystryker"]

KristoffBrujah

That's interesting because I despised the first for its repetitive nature and bland main character. AC2 fixed those problems, but not for everyone it seems.

Which is not 100% true, some things are fixed but its still suffers from the same problems as the first game!!
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Assassin's Creed II was my 2009 GOTY, so yeah, I think it was better than Uncharted 2. Still enjoyed the heck out of both games though.

The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

I'm no more than 20% into the storyline of Assassins Creed 2 and although I do not yet agree it is "better" than Uncharted 2, I can see where the argument can be made.

I too found AC1 to be rather boring with its lack of variety...how many times do you have to ride your horse down the same mountain?!?!? Assassins Creed 2 remedies this very well by offering a wide variety of things to do. I just completed Sequence 3 tonight and the thought of collecting all of the Codex pages, Feathers, finding the Assassins crypts...it all seems like a lot to do. So with respect to replayability...I give Assassins Creed 2 the nod.

I find the controls in both games to be good, but I think Uncharted 2 has tighter controls. The platforming controls in AC2 can be a bit wonky at times. That's probably my biggest complaint. In the scheme of things, it's not a big deal. I'm nitpicking.

I'll edit this post when I complete AC2. No doubt this game falls in my top 3 games released this year that I've beaten. Right now these are my top 3.

1. Uncharted 2

2. inFamous

3. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Nativerun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nativerun
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

While I found Uncharted 2 to be a superb game with one of the best graphics I have ever seen on any console, I enjoyed Assassins creed 2 more.

I am not saying technically Assassins creed 2 is superior but i just enjoyed it more.

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

while I thoroughly enjoyed AC2.

No chance it was as good as Uncharted 2. UC2 for me was essentially like playing through a movie. Not to mention the boss battles were actually difficult.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
assuming the single player is equally as good, the online in uc2 is what pushed it over the edge
bsx121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bsx121
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts

AC story line was better but when it comes to action,id give it to Un.charted 2. AC 2 is not much different than the first but is still a good game

naaros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 naaros
Member since 2009 • 330 Posts

While I did love Assassin's Creed II and feel like they vastly improved it over the first game, I still prefer Uncharted 2. There's really 2 things that made me question some of the game.

1) The story, while interesting, really drug its feet about midway through the game and up until the last bit. With the jumps in time and the feeling that I was assassinating people for what felt like no reason that was important to Eizo or me, I was kinda lost. I just think they could have handled the storyline a little better.

2) And second, the combat still feels really stale. The assassinations are really satisfying when you pull one off, but the head-to-head combat is so clunky and boring, imo. 90% of the battle is just waiting around trying to get a counter kill or maybe grabbing and slicing their neck. They'd have to overhaul their entire combat engine to really change it for the 3rd game which I can't see them doing. Thankfully though, the amount of times you actually have to fight are few and far between as you can pretty much run away from most conflicts which can be exhilarating flying over rooftops and running through crowded streets.

And probably just nitpicking now, I'm disappointed they didn't add a Chapter Select like they had in the first game. I realize they said they didn't have enough time (although I'm not sure why, it couldn't have been that complicated to add being as they already had the interface for it in one of the options/database menus), but still, it'd be nice to have.

On the other hand, the platforming is definitely more fluid and enjoyable than in Uncharted 2. Sooo yeah, both are great games, but Uncharted 2 pulls ahead for me.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I enjoyed playing Assassins Creed 2 a hell of a lot more then Uncharted 2. Uncharted's nearly on rails platforming and utterly dull firefights bore me. The weapon variety plays a big hand in that, but there's just something about it that I find uninteresting. I also am not a fan of the characters, at all. However, right from the get-go in Assassins Creed 2, I cared about Ezio's outcome, and wanted to see justice done. Seeing Indiana Drake go treasure hunting again just felt bland to me. Guess Uncharted just never will be my cup of tea.
big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

there r both good games in their own way.

rawr_xd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rawr_xd
Member since 2009 • 790 Posts

caseystryker

I sorta kinda agree. More of the same, boring missions, repetitive, and I thought it was like a 7.5-8.0 type game.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
It could have been on it's premise. I wanted to like Assassin's Creed 2 more, but it had it's flaws - too easy combat system, no difficulty levels, some minor visual glitches hold it back. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, definitely an 8.5 or 9.0 game. But comparatively Uncharted 2 was a far more polished game and deservedly received a higher score.