How long will the PS3 last?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tech-Man08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tech-Man08
Member since 2007 • 1199 Posts

Playstation: 1995-2000

Playstation2:2000-2006

Playstion 3: 2006-?

BlueTsujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BlueTsujin
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts
Just because another system came out, doesn't mean the previous system is done for. They're still making games for the PS2 now. They may come out with the PS4 in 2011/2012, but I'm sure they'll still sell the PS3 and games as well.
Haku_Ryushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Haku_Ryushi
Member since 2004 • 1241 Posts
when will the trolling ever end?.......
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
The Playstation brand will be no more by 2009.krimla
it will be no more right when ff13 comes out? and god of war 3? D= oh well good enough for me if i get those games
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

You do know that PS consoles don't die out by the time there's a newer system right?

I'm still playing on my PS2 more than my PS3.

Also, there are still games and support coming out for the PS2 (3rd party multiplats, Persona 4, etc)

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
I can see it last for like 7 years until the new console is released, and then it will still be supported, much like the PS2 now.
Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
I can see it last for like 7 years until the new console is released, and then it will still be supported, much like the PS2 now.
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts
Longer than those other two dust collectors on my shelf *cough* 360 *cough*Wii
knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

Expect the PS3 to be strong and last for AT LEAST another 5 years.

First off, developers are beginning to finally optimize code for the hardware. Multiplatform games are equal to their Xbox 360 counterparts (GTA4) and PS3 exclusives (MGS4, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue) simply blow the competition away. An Arcade model of the Xbox 360 simply would not be able to handle a game like Metal Gear Solid 4.

Blu-Ray has won the format war. First, Uncharted showed us the advantages of Blu-Ray with its beautiful environments and high resolution backdrops. It showed us a living breathing world where if Nathan Drake went into the water, it would show up on his clothes before drying off. That was 25 GB single layer Blu-Ray disk. Now...June 2008 and Metal Gear Solid 4 brings us a compelling interactive movie running in native 1080p with 7.1 uncompressed Dolby True HD sound. This game is a dual layer, 50 GB Blu-Ray disk. The guys at Kojima Productions have raised the bar with respect to technical benchmarks in video games. The only hardware that can give you the horsepower and storage to run a game like that is the PS3. Expect the G-A-P (technically) between PS3 exclusives and their rivals to get wider and wider in the next couple of years.

HD is finally becoming mainstream and the PS3 is an excellent compliment to an HDTV. Its built-in Blu-Ray player, expandable hard drive, HDMI 1.3 profile, free online service, built-in Wi-Fi, and reputation of having the finest and most advanced video gaming library makes it a winner.

Metal Gear Solid 4 marks a new era in the future of the PS3. This game shows off the power and advantages of the hardware to tell an epic tale of a legendary character's final mission. Many exclusive franchises have yet to see their iteration on current generation hardware (Final Fantasy, God of War, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, SOCOM, Killzone). The exclusives are coming.

PS3 has a promising long term future. Microsoft is going to need to upgrade their hardware in the next 2-3 years to keep up. I expect the PS3 to have AT LEAST another 5 AAA solid years left in it after this one. The PS3 is built off of a super computer chip with some ridiculously advanced hardware. Consumers have a long way to catch up. Many are getting into HDTV for the first time. The step from DVD to Blu-Ray has not been made mainstream yet. It will become mainstream one day, but that will take time and price drops. The PS3 is in prime position to cater to this market for the long term.

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
2006 - over 9000
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

First off, developers are beginning to finally optimize code for the hardware. Multiplatform games are equal to their Xbox 360 counterparts (GTA4) and PS3 exclusives (MGS4, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue) simply blow the competition away. An Arcade model of the Xbox 360 simply would not be able to handle a game like Metal Gear Solid 4.

Blu-Ray has won the format war. First, Uncharted showed us the advantages of Blu-Ray with its beautiful environments and high resolution backdrops. It showed us a living breathing world where if Nathan Drake went into the water, it would show up on his clothes before drying off. That was 25 GB single layer Blu-Ray disk. Now...June 2008 and Metal Gear Solid 4 brings us a compelling interactive movie running in native 1080p with 7.1 uncompressed Dolby True HD sound. This game is a dual layer, 50 GB Blu-Ray disk. The guys at Kojima Productions have raised the bar with respect to technical benchmarks in video games. The only hardware that can give you the horsepower and storage to run a game like that is the PS3. Expect the G-A-P (technically) between PS3 exclusives and their rivals to get wider and wider in the next couple of years.

HD is finally becoming mainstream and the PS3 is an excellent compliment to an HDTV. Its built-in Blu-Ray player, expandable hard drive, HDMI 1.3 profile, free online service, built-in Wi-Fi, and reputation of having the finest and most advanced video gaming library makes it a winner.

Metal Gear Solid 4 marks a new era in the future of the PS3. This game shows off the power and advantages of the hardware to tell an epic tale of a legendary character's final mission. Many exclusive franchises have yet to see their iteration on current generation hardware (Final Fantasy, God of War, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, SOCOM, Killzone). The exclusives are coming.

PS3 has a promising long term future. Microsoft is going to need to upgrade their hardware in the next 2-3 years to keep up. I expect the PS3 to have AT LEAST another 5 AAA solid years left in it after this one. The PS3 is built off of a super computer chip with some ridiculously advanced hardware. Consumers have a long way to catch up. Many are getting into HDTV for the first time. The step from DVD to Blu-Ray has not been made mainstream yet. It will become mainstream one day, but that will take time and price drops. The PS3 is in prime position to cater to this market for the long term.

knicknut17

Very good post and you covered everything we know as of now. Who knows what the future holds for the PS3. The future looks very bright for the PS3 system for a long time.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

2006 - over 9000ChiSoxBombers

Why's the over 9000 joke being so frequently used in GameSpot nowadays.

Yng-ePIc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yng-ePIc
Member since 2005 • 804 Posts

Just because another system came out, doesn't mean the previous system is done for. They're still making games for the PS2 now. They may come out with the PS4 in 2011/2012, but I'm sure they'll still sell the PS3 and games as well.BlueTsujin

I agree, the PS2 is still going strong today. In terms of when another system will drop, I would say around 2012.

MiiOnWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 MiiOnWii
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts

knicknut17

I thought resident evil was coming to the 360 also? and as far as the price drop on blu-ray players and specifically the ps3, there isn't cause sony is losing BIG money manufacturing the ps3 at a high cost and selling it cheaper...what's holding blu-ray back, the high prices and how DVDs are way more convenient to the consumers than blu-ray is.(Most laptops do not have blu-ray players, no portable blu-ray players) and not alot of people do not have an hdtv...the way the economy is going, it is going to be hard to push a new format like blu-ray which is more expensive to make and sell..

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
[QUOTE="knicknut17"]

MiiOnWii

I thought resident evil was coming to the 360 also? and as far as the price drop on blu-ray players and specifically the ps3, there isn't cause sony is losing BIG money manufacturing the ps3 at a high cost and selling it cheaper...what's holding blu-ray back, the high prices and how DVDs are way more convenient to the consumers than blu-ray is.(Most laptops do not have blu-ray players, no portable blu-ray players) and not alot of people do not have an hdtv...the way the economy is going, it is going to be hard to push a new format like blu-ray which is more expensive to make and sell..

do u live in 2007...manufacturing costs for ps3 is down and they actually make money on each one sold now...also hdtv is actually becoming pretty universal now with prices lowering at how much they are.Sure, it will take a little while for the format to be in everyhousehold but it eventually will happen once massproduction is more widespread and prices go down...just like with everything else
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
Another reason i got rid of my 360, i knew the second whatever new xbox came out it would be dumped immediately...just like the xbox.
blisken11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blisken11
Member since 2006 • 160 Posts
Sony stated that there supporting the PS2 for Ten years total, which should be till 2009 or 2010 right? they said PS3 lifetime is expected to be same as PS2 which should make it till 2017 or 2018, by then ill be like almost 40 yrs old myself.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
...... Let's put it this way...... PS3 will last loger than your grampa......:)
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
hmmm qustion is how long before ps4 hits? not that im in a hurry. heck i just got a ps3 its still fun to talk about though :p.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Sony stated that there supporting the PS2 for Ten years total, which should be till 2009 or 2010 right? they said PS3 lifetime is expected to be same as PS2 which should make it till 2017 or 2018, by then ill be like almost 40 yrs old myself.blisken11

At that time I would be getting close to 60 years old, man how time flies now a days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#23 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts
it will last all the way until 2-3 years after the next playstation comes out.
MiiOnWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 MiiOnWii
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
[QUOTE="MiiOnWii"][QUOTE="knicknut17"]

CosmoKing7717

do u live in 2007...manufacturing costs for ps3 is down and they actually make money on each one sold now...also hdtv is actually becoming pretty universal now with prices lowering at how much they are.Sure, it will take a little while for the format to be in everyhousehold but it eventually will happen once massproduction is more widespread and prices go down...just like with everything else

2007? i didn't know that sony was making money on the ps3 even though their company lost 2 billion dollars in 07 and about 1.5 billion dolllars in 08...lol

Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
until 2011 at a minimum.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Around 2012 is when I would expect a new Playstation.
g4dgetpr0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 g4dgetpr0n
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I don't think it's a question of how long the Ps3 itself will last, but: 1.) how long Sony wants to pump new technology/hardware into their system before making a new generation, 2.) how long the blue-ray discs last before something else becomes better and stronger, 3.) if a new type of console comes out, and not a next generation of microsoft or nintendo, ect
MasterNinja49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MasterNinja49
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts
6 or 7 years
zyasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zyasun
Member since 2004 • 287 Posts
ill say itll die out at 2013-2014.
Xjner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xjner
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts
When i quit playing it.
SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
Another one of these annoying posts..... The PS3 will obviously last longer than the 360 and Wii as the PS2 did with the Xbox and Gamecube. The PS3 is just starting to get better and better. It will take a bit longer for the developers to familiarize themselves with the PS3's architecture and understand fully how the system works to be able to use it to its' full advantage. No need to worry, it's only the beggining.
TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
I think a long time! Theres really no need for another system! With the firmware updates the system can continue to get better, and memory shouldnt be an issue, because you can always get a new hardrive! Long live the PS3!!!
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

when will the trolling ever end?.......Haku_Ryushi

lol..agreed. These guys got to much time on their hand.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
about 5/6 years
bijankarim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bijankarim
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
i think 2014 because of blu-ray
epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 epic_pets
Member since 2008 • 5598 Posts
about 8 years
hxcpride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hxcpride
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts

knicknut17

100% Agree! good stuff here!!

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

I don't think it's a question of how long the Ps3 itself will last, but: 1.) how long Sony wants to pump new technology/hardware into their system before making a new generation, 2.) how long the blue-ray discs last before something else becomes better and stronger, 3.) if a new type of console comes out, and not a next generation of microsoft or nintendo, ectg4dgetpr0n

To question 2

Blueray disks will be mainstreame for ATLEAST 50 years or more. They are coming out with a 100 gig Blueray disk that can be used on all Blueray drives including the PS3 and they are working on a 250 gig blueray disk that will work with upgraded blueray players.

so yeah thats like bigger than my friends HDD

Agent_305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Agent_305
Member since 2007 • 758 Posts

The PS3 will probably live on till 2020..

So far, all of Sony's consoles have lasted another 2-3 years after relesal of a new one and as Sony have said (and i qote) "The PS3 is near-future-proof, we arn't expecting to develop anything such as the PS4 for another 10 years or so"

Does anyone know that the PS2 actualy out-sold the PS3 last year!! THATS how good Sony consoles are!! whats better is that the PS3 out-sold 360!

So in total, Sony's 8 and a half year console, outsold Microsofts brand-spanking-new console!!

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

The PS3 will probably live on till 2020..

So far, all of Sony's consoles have lasted another 2-3 years after relesal of a new one and as Sony have said (and i qote) "The PS3 is near-future-proof, we arn't expecting to develop anything such as the PS4 for another 10 years or so"

Does anyone know that the PS2 actualy out-sold the PS3 last year!! THATS how good Sony consoles are!! whats better is that the PS3 out-sold 360!

So in total, Sony's 8 and a half year console, outsold Microsofts brand-spanking-new console!!

Agent_305

Hell yeah to this post!

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

It really depends. sony have always supported the older systems along with newer ones for awhile. PS1 games were still in development all the way until 2004. PS2 games still come out and probably will until 09. If the PS3 can actually get some headway in NA then it will last a good while longer, but if LBP, R2, KZ2 and other big games fail, then it might only be around until 2010. If developers see that there is only 18 million ps3 owners and like 28 million 360 owners and 40 million wii owners then yes it's done. If they can get all the games they plan to out and they are awsome and advertize each one of those games a lot, while having all multiplats run equally as well on their system to get people to buy it, then it will be ok.

With the Star Wars losing some of it's team and SC 4 having somewhat of a slowdown on PS3, those will be top games that sony can't afford to have trouble with. Also if all that jazz is true about L.A. Noir coming as well as a exclusive game from Rockstar and other companies, then maybe they can pull through.

Sony already has Europe on their side and Japan will never by 360 really, but JP never buys anything and are being slow to adopt a next generation system. Even the wii only has like 6 million people userbase over there. With sony's loss of monster hunter to nintendo, that is definitely going to hurt them.

NA will the deciding factor in whether sony lives or dies. They are on just about equal footing with MS and system sales. They need to sell more than MS if they are going to show 3rd parties that people want to play on the PS3. So far no key games that the mainstream has heard of are coming to ps3, other than bathesda with fallout 3, namco with SC4, Lucas Arts with Star Wars, and the rest of the standard things like GH, Need For Speed, and Madden. All of those games are also on 360. Disgaea, Valkyria, Motorstorm, Resistance, Little Big Planet, might all be cool, but no one knows what they are. The only game that anyone has ever heard of in the mainstream probably is Socom.

KZ 2 is a gamble, the first one was a little crappy so people are weary of that. Infamous is a new IP, so that always goes questionable. Tekken 6, God of War 3, are a good bunch, Twisted Metal will be known by older gamers for it's glory days. MS has got Star Ocean, and the 3rd sold very well in NA, so they have competition there.

If MS drops another 50 from their price tag, that is going to sting quite a bit. Unless all of sony's exclusives from now all the way to 09 are advertised up the butt an are actually worth owning along with another price drop along the way, then they might have an advantage. Even MGS 4 didn't spike hardware sales that much. Yes it sold a lot, but it didn't make hardly anyone buy a PS3. This means that no one cares, or they still can't afford it.

I don't mean to sound negative, but that is the way it is.

in short sony needs to:

cut the price yet again

get some exclusives of games people have heard of

advertise like mad

improve their online

get more games out in general

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
also with developers taking forever to make games and pushing games back a year, I think the 4 to 5 year console span will turn into 7-8 years or longer. I don't think we need to start making new ones. Hardly anyone has grasped the PS3 and almost no one has done a great job with the Wiimote, other than a few choice companies. That said it would be a smart idea not to come out with another one until at least 2015. I know that won't happen, but it should.
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#43 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
PS2 dead since 2006? Don't make me laugh.
argetlam_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 argetlam_28
Member since 2008 • 233 Posts
it might be forced to release ps4 a bit earlier because m$ will probably release it by 2011.
Avatar image for Lord__Darkstorn
Lord__Darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lord__Darkstorn
Member since 2007 • 2031 Posts
I'd say at least another 4 years, but it's hard to tell with the American economy collapsing as it is...