How long should it take to install the game from a disk?

Musicman185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Musicman185
Member since 2017 • 8 Posts

I just got my ps4 yesterday. The bundle came with uncharted 4. The install says it will be 6 hours. It let me start the game anyway, so no big deal. Now, I just bought a used copy of mlb the show 14 at gamestop. I've been sitting here for 30 minutes and it is only 30%. It lets me go through the menus, but no matter what I try to choose, it tells me that the required data is not downloaded yet. It can't possibly take this long to install a game from a disk. My ps3 would install in a matter of minutes.

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#2 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

Depends on the game, I think. Some installs take a long time. A lot of the time if the game has been out for awhile, there have been lots of patches so you are downloading that too.

Musicman185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Musicman185

6 hours seems very long to me, even for older games with patches. I could understand several hours for a download, but not an install from a disk. I searched the problem and many other people experience it too. But most suggestions are because the hard drive is getting too full or the hard drive is going bad. My Playstation is one day old with no games on it. So that shouldn't be the case here.

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#4 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

@musicman185 said:

6 hours seems very long to me, even for older games with patches. I could understand several hours for a download, but not an install from a disk. I searched the problem and many other people experience it too. But most suggestions are because the hard drive is getting too full or the hard drive is going bad. My Playstation is one day old with no games on it. So that shouldn't be the case here.

Yeah, it definitely shouldn't be 6 hours at all. Sometimes it'll say it'll take a long time, but then go down to a lot less once it gets going.

It's too bad you have that problem. Games on a disc shouldn't take that long. Never have for me. My Uncharted 4 I was playing within 30 minutes I think.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@musicman185 said:

Having a brand new console doesn't mean it will be perfect, return it for another PS4, its faulty.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Takes a few minutes to install, the updates are another story.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Without uptades, most of the games are a few seconds, as you play while it still installs. Without an uptade I played Uncharted 4 right on spot.

There are some game with excpetions, like FF15 (about a half hour) and FIFA.

You also not really need to worry about updates, as you can install the updates while you are playing.

Musicman185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Musicman185

So, it sounds like my ps4 may be faulty and I should replace it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

It all depends on the game every game varies my install's take about an hour to install.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Sounds like you're talking about download times from patches. I don't think I've experienced a game taking even more than a minute to install directly from a disc. Of course, there's almost always a patch to download before being able to play the game while logged in. So in a way I guess that takes away from how fast disc installs are on the PS4. Some games on the PS3 took several minutes, but patches were also generally much smaller.

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

Uncharted 4 also took about 6 hours for my PS4. Picked it up back in December. Bought Resident Evil 7 a few days ago. I must admit I expected a few hours for complete installation. Nope, installed so fast it felt like there was no installation at all. Point is believe it all depends on the game and as others have already, the amount of patches that have to be downloaded. Welcome to the latest generation of gaming.

Musicman185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Musicman185

I may have been wrong. It may be my Internet connection to blame. When I bought GTA 5, it said "Downloading Update File" and it was 13 gb and took 7 hours. This wouldn't be just an install from the disc, would it? This is actually pulling information through the Internet. My Internet connection is very slow. So that would make sense if that were the case.

But the only question that I still have is why couldn't I play a game? For example, mlb 15 took almost an hour to install. It would let me access the menus, but every game mode that I tried to start said there wasn't enough information downloaded.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@musicman185 said:

I may have been wrong. It may be my Internet connection to blame. When I bought GTA 5, it said "Downloading Update File" and it was 13 gb and took 7 hours. This wouldn't be just an install from the disc, would it? This is actually pulling information through the Internet. My Internet connection is very slow. So that would make sense if that were the case.

But the only question that I still have is why couldn't I play a game? For example, mlb 15 took almost an hour to install. It would let me access the menus, but every game mode that I tried to start said there wasn't enough information downloaded.

Read that

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

About as long as it takes to download and install, only a lot louder.

Musicman185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Musicman185

The point that I was trying to make, is that everyone says that it only takes them a few minutes to install a game, but it isn't even an issue because they can begin playing almost immediately. When I tried to install mlb, it took an hour or more, and I couldn't do anything during that time. It didn't seem to be regular patches and updates either. It didn't even have the baseball fields installed.