How long can I use the PS3 before it starts to overheat???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

D-Camo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 D-Camo
Member since 2005 • 1041 Posts
I just got myself a new 40GB PS3 just for MGS4. The owner of a store that sold me a 40GB PS3 warned me not to play games on the PS3 for more than 4 hours or I might risk spoiling the console. Can anyone confirm if it will overheat if I play games on the console for more than 4 hours?
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts
I play mine all day and leave it on days on end. So I would say just keep it ventilated, don't keep it cramped up in some closed media tower and you should be fine. The ps3 really hasn't had any major issues of over heating. If it does more than likely you just got a bad system.
D-Camo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 D-Camo
So I just gotta leave it in a open and ventilated space and not in a cramped spot right? Thanks for the advice.
Marcus334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marcus334
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts

Keep the console in a space where all the vents are free to breath and you should be fine..

People at EBGames don't know **** dont go to them for nothing they tell you bull**** theories.

adamg78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 adamg78
Member since 2004 • 636 Posts
its normal for the PS3 to get very hot the system dosent overheat at all. I have played games for over 3 hours a few times & it will get pretty hot after 20 min play time but it wont get to the point where it over heats.I also use a cooling fan on the back of my Ps3 while I am playing games it helps alot
El-Visitante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 El-Visitante
Member since 2007 • 1137 Posts
Yeah, dont worry. I used to hear a lot of stories about how ps3s heat up to ridiculous temps. and that's what I expected when I got mine. Even after 2 hours of play it barely even feels warm.
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts
40gb's are actually better in that case. Because they have the smaller cell chip, and different airflo. I'm borrowing my buddies 40gb, cuz my 60gb is at the repair center (which I will get back today :D), and the 40gb actually stays cooler to the touch. Also the most I've played for is like four hours on his ps3, and I still haven't heard the secondary fans come on yet.
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
Mine has been on for 2+ straight months now, everything is perfectly fine. So long as theres adequate breathing room for the ps3 it can be left on ... forever. Theres some ps3 systems that have been on since Launch! Honestly employees at gaming stores or in the gaming department of retailers are mostly utterly ridiculous and stupid and don't know Jack.
Avatar image for Lord_of_Terrans
Lord_of_Terrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lord_of_Terrans
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts
I used to play Oblivion for 10 hours and more... never had any issues with my PS3 but sore eyes and pain in my back :P (I need a new chair)
D-Camo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 D-Camo
Aight. Thanks a lot for the information guys. Appreciate it.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

the guy that told you that is an idiot. I've left mine on for days with out a problem. That is the 360 you need to be concerned about leaving on or playing for long periods of time.

Just make sure the PS3 has plenty of breathing room and it is not in a confined place and you will be fine. And don't place it on the floor if you have carpet!

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

PS3 is not the 360 where you have to be always worried about hardware probs / over heating... however I never keep it on for days, since i believe its always good to give it a break after hours of playing..

Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 Sycosi
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

Mine has been on for 2+ straight months now, everything is perfectly fine. So long as theres adequate breathing room for the ps3 it can be left on ... forever. Theres some ps3 systems that have been on since Launch! Honestly employees at gaming stores or in the gaming department of retailers are mostly utterly ridiculous and stupid and don't know Jack.navstar29

Can I ask why you've left your Ps3 on for over 2 months?? Your electricity bill must be huge! Is there any need or reason to leave it on that long?

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

[QUOTE="navstar29"]Mine has been on for 2+ straight months now, everything is perfectly fine. So long as theres adequate breathing room for the ps3 it can be left on ... forever. Theres some ps3 systems that have been on since Launch! Honestly employees at gaming stores or in the gaming department of retailers are mostly utterly ridiculous and stupid and don't know Jack.Sycosi

Can I ask why you've left your Ps3 on for over 2 months?? Your electricity bill must be huge! Is there any need or reason to leave it on that long?

The same reason I haven't turned my PS3 off in almost a year, when it's not being used it's running the F@H project. As far as power consumption there really isn't that much electricity being used while the system is folding, the cell is running close to it's max when folding and it doesn't get that warm and doesn't consume that much power.

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

[QUOTE="navstar29"]Mine has been on for 2+ straight months now, everything is perfectly fine. So long as theres adequate breathing room for the ps3 it can be left on ... forever. Theres some ps3 systems that have been on since Launch! Honestly employees at gaming stores or in the gaming department of retailers are mostly utterly ridiculous and stupid and don't know Jack.Sycosi

I'm guessing he uses Folding @ Home a lot.

Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sycosi
[QUOTE="Sycosi"]

[QUOTE="navstar29"]Mine has been on for 2+ straight months now, everything is perfectly fine. So long as theres adequate breathing room for the ps3 it can be left on ... forever. Theres some ps3 systems that have been on since Launch! Honestly employees at gaming stores or in the gaming department of retailers are mostly utterly ridiculous and stupid and don't know Jack.BZSIN

Maybe?! But still, would you leave it on for 2 months+ straight? Hell no! Love the sig by the way! Let freedom ring with a metal gear blast lol

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BZSIN
[QUOTE="BZSIN"][QUOTE="Sycosi"]

Maybe?! But still, would you leave it on for 2 months+ straight? Hell no! Love the sig by the way! Let freedom ring with a metal gear blast lol

:lol:

ddashboy242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 ddashboy242
Member since 2007 • 1257 Posts
The owner of a store that sold me a 40GB PS3 warned me not to play games on the PS3 for more than 4 hours or I might risk spoiling the console. Can anyone confirm if it will overheat if I play games on the console for more than 4 hours?D-Camo
Lol:P the owner thought this was a XB360 you were buying it false just keep it in an open space.
Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sycosi
[QUOTE="Sycosi"][QUOTE="BZSIN"][QUOTE="Sycosi"]

[QUOTE="navstar29"]Mine has been on for 2+ straight months now, everything is perfectly fine. So long as theres adequate breathing room for the ps3 it can be left on ... forever. Theres some ps3 systems that have been on since Launch! Honestly employees at gaming stores or in the gaming department of retailers are mostly utterly ridiculous and stupid and don't know Jack.BZSIN

Going to awesome when we have in game music with the 2.40 update, when it comes out, play Machine fking Head along to MGS 4 or CoD 4 etc! Or maybe some Arch Enemy HAZE! Niiiice!! Do you mind if I add you to my PSN list??

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts
yes, better leave 50 centimeters on the back and right (wher hot air goes out) and 30 centimeters up (hot air goes up) too and it should be OK, but it depends too on the climate you are in ; if the console "feels" too hot, it will beep three times and shut off by itself, if it doesn't it means you're dead because the house is on fire or something ... :lol:
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Just buy a mini-fridge, put it next to your TV, and put the PS3 inside it with the cords coming out the door.

Problem solved!

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BZSIN
[QUOTE="BZSIN"][QUOTE="Sycosi"][QUOTE="BZSIN"][QUOTE="Sycosi"]

Going to awesome when we have in game music with the 2.40 update, when it comes out, play Machine fking Head along to MGS 4 or CoD 4 etc! Or maybe some Arch Enemy HAZE! Niiiice!! Do you mind if I add you to my PSN list??

Go for it. I've only got GTAIV at the moment, though. Got my PS3 on listening to Ten Ton Hammer loud as ****.

Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sycosi
[QUOTE="Sycosi"][QUOTE="BZSIN"][QUOTE="Sycosi"][QUOTE="BZSIN"][QUOTE="Sycosi"]

Go for it. I've only got GTAIV at the moment, though. Got my PS3 on listening to Ten Ton Hammer loud as ****.

Cheerz. TTH is one of my favorite MH songs ever, that main opening riff is so fking heavy its untrue! If you've bought the "Take My Scars" single there's a demo version on there thats even heavier!! Raw as hell demo version downtuned to Z! I'll add you later buddy!