How is the sound via HDMI from the PS3?????????????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SystemWarsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SystemWarsMan
Member since 2007 • 913 Posts
Just wondering, thinking about getting a PS3 today.
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts
AMAZING it blows away everything else, its my main reason for using hdmi over component, the visuals are slightly improved, but its in the sound that makes the huge difference.
Brendruis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Brendruis
Member since 2002 • 1016 Posts
I use the Optical SP/DIF on the PS3

I tried the HDMI also through my TV and it sounded good :)
filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 filfili
Member since 2003 • 1593 Posts
If you have a HDMI receiver, you can get uncompressed sound, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS master, which are much better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS.  If you use optical, you cannot get these sound formats because optical doesn't have enough bandwidth.  Also, no game uses the advanced audio codecs yet, only movies.
chubear700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 chubear700
Member since 2003 • 1945 Posts
Aww men, that's another thing about the PS3, the sound is freakin incredible.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
If you have a HDMI receiver, you can get uncompressed sound, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS master, which are much better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS.  If you use optical, you cannot get these sound formats because optical doesn't have enough bandwidth.  Also, no game uses the advanced audio codecs yet, only movies.filfili
dang really? CRy and i just bout a sony 5.1 home theathre for 199.00 but no hdmi. just optical. oh well maybe in the sumer ill upgrade lol.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts

Get an Onkyo receiver.  I think right now they have a 5.1 or 7.1 (can't remember), all-inclusive, theater system, with two HDMi ins and one HDMI out, for only $600.  Can't get better than that.

But unless you have a 1080p HDTV, I wouldn't go too crazy on the HDMI.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

If you have a HDMI receiver, you can get uncompressed sound, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS master, which are much better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS.  If you use optical, you cannot get these sound formats because optical doesn't have enough bandwidth.  Also, no game uses the advanced audio codecs yet, only movies.filfili

You have obsolutely no idea what you're talking about do you????? Fiber optics has one of the biggest bandwidths

http://www.gare.co.uk/technology_watch/fibre.htm

BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 BlacKJaCK2290
Member since 2005 • 1775 Posts
True it does. But he is right in the sense that these new audio formats cannot be sent in full resolution over optical cables.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kingtito

True it does. But he is right in the sense that these new audio formats cannot be sent in full resolution over optical cables.BlacKJaCK2290

http://www.projectorcentral.com/dvi_hdmi_copper_optical.htm

Fiber optics is the way to go and will be in the future. Fiber optics has more than enough bandwidth to transmit these new audio formats.

BroweChisox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BroweChisox
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts

[QUOTE="BlacKJaCK2290"]True it does. But he is right in the sense that these new audio formats cannot be sent in full resolution over optical cables.kingtito

Fiber optics is the way to go and will be in the future. Fiber optics has more than enough bandwidth to transmit these new audio formats.

You are the one who knows nothing about this. HDMI is, and will be the only way, to get uncompressed audio from any device. All of the next generation media players, and the PS3 send uncompressed signals through HDMI. This sound absolutely blows compressed optical sound out of the water. It is saddening to have to stoop down to compressed sound when I watch things over my STB or play the 360. It is not a bandwidth issue, but more of an agreement. There is no way you will ever experience the highest end audio without picking up an HDMI receiver, it is as simple as that.
Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts

Resistance: Fall of Man is actually encoded with 7.1 uncompressed PCM. 

UntoldDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UntoldDreams
Member since 2006 • 3238 Posts
[QUOTE="kingtito"]

[QUOTE="BlacKJaCK2290"]True it does. But he is right in the sense that these new audio formats cannot be sent in full resolution over optical cables.BroweChisox

You are the one who knows nothing about this. HDMI is, and will be the only way, to get uncompressed audio from any device. All of the next generation media players, and the PS3 send uncompressed signals through HDMI. This sound absolutely blows compressed optical sound out of the water. It is saddening to have to stoop down to compressed sound when I watch things over my STB or play the 360. It is not a bandwidth issue, but more of an agreement. There is no way you will ever experience the highest end audio without picking up an HDMI receiver, it is as simple as that.

*** This gentleman (BroweChisox) knows his video and audio.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kingtito
[QUOTE="kingtito"]

[QUOTE="BlacKJaCK2290"]True it does. But he is right in the sense that these new audio formats cannot be sent in full resolution over optical cables.BroweChisox

The question here is wether or not optical has the bandwidth to transmit uncompressed data. There is no higher bandwidth than fiber optics right now and that includes HDMI. HDMI might be the choice for home theater but to say that Fiber optics doesn't have enough bandwidth is ludicrous. That is MY point, can you comprehend????

BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlacKJaCK2290
It really doesn't matter at this point wether or not Optical can handle them. Bottom line is you will never see a full resolution TrueHD or uncompressed PCM track being transfered over optical.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts

I have personally tried uncompressed audio on a blu-ray movie through optical.  It doesn't work.  Well, it does but it is not the full srround sound.  DTs or Dol by digital sound far better.  Why is this?  I don't know.  is it the capacity of optical?  I don't know.

All I know is that it doesn't.  Try it yourself.

zhuojloh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zhuojloh
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts

I have personally tried uncompressed audio on a blu-ray movie through optical.  It doesn't work.  Well, it does but it is not the full srround sound.  DTs or Dol by digital sound far better.  Why is this?  I don't know.  is it the capacity of optical?  I don't know.

dubvisions
Optical does not have the bandwith to do uncompress PCM. you need HDMI cable for that, your receive will need to handle uncompress PCM too.
immikeulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 immikeulate
Member since 2004 • 350 Posts
Okay now I have a question: I connect my ps3 to an optical receiver (a mid range pioneer 7.1, no hdmi), and when I switch a blu-ray movie's sound to to uncompressed pcm from dobly digital the sound gets louder and possably better... But my receiver doesn't recognize the format of sound (like when its a dobly digital it says DD or when its dts it says dts) So whats going on here is it truly uncompressed audio or is my receiver just playing the ps3's output signal but not really pcm???
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kingtito
[QUOTE="dubvisions"]

zhuojloh

Optical does not have the bandwith to do uncompress PCM. you need HDMI cable for that, your receive will need to handle uncompress PCM too.

Wrong Fiber optic laser optimized multimode fiber minum bandwidth is 10g per second. HDMi doesn't even come close. Fact is fiber optic bandwidth far exceeds anything out and yes this does include HDMI. Please do some research before posting.

zhuojloh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zhuojloh
Okay now I have a question: I connect my ps3 to an optical receiver (a mid range pioneer 7.1, no hdmi), and when I switch a blu-ray movie's sound to to uncompressed pcm from dobly digital the sound gets louder and possably better... But my receiver doesn't recognize the format of sound (like when its a dobly digital it says DD or when its dts it says dts) So whats going on here is it truly uncompressed audio or is my receiver just playing the ps3's output signal but not really pcm???immikeulate
Uncompressed PCM is only supported in HDMI, optical cannot does not have enough bandwith. In other words, your receivers is old. Time for a new one. Don't worry, I'm also same boat with you. If you are using optical, avoid 7.1 uncompressed. PS3 will make it 2.1 PCM instead if you chose that option
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BlacKJaCK2290
The PS3 is outputting the Uncompressed PCM so thats what your Receiver is picking up.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingtito
Before anyone comes on talking about how it sounds soo much better through HDMI remmeber what the point is. The point is wether or not Fiber optics have enough bandwidth to transmit uncompressed sound and video. The answer is yes it has more bandwidth than HDMI, DVI and most definitely copper.
zhuojloh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zhuojloh
[QUOTE="zhuojloh"][QUOTE="dubvisions"]

kingtito

Wrong Fiber optic laser optimized multimode fiber minum bandwidth is 10g per second. HDMi doesn't even come close. Fact is fiber optic bandwidth far exceeds anything out and yes this does include HDMI. Please do some research before posting.

????????????? Dude you know how huge the fiber optic range is? That's big fiber optic and small one. Toslink is one of the small one. it's bandwith is not that high. Currently maximum at 125mbps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toslink

Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Creeping_Wolf
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="zhuojloh"][QUOTE="dubvisions"]

zhuojloh

????????????? Dude you know how huge the fiber optic range is? That's big fiber optic and small one. Toslink is one of the small one. it's bandwith is not that high. Currently maximum at 125mbps

I think you've hit on the problem.  The "Fiber Optics" he's talking about and the "optical cable" everyone else in this thread is talking about aren't the same things. 

BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlacKJaCK2290
I really want to hear what Kingtito has to say for himself now. Seeing as he basically accused all of us as being wrong.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingtito
[QUOTE="zhuojloh"][QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="zhuojloh"][QUOTE="dubvisions"]

Creeping_Wolf

I think you've hit on the problem.  The "Fiber Optics" he's talking about and the "optical cable" everyone else in this thread is talking about aren't the same things. 

Well it comes down to the quality of the fiber optic cable. They type of glass it uses and so on. The highest quality fiber optic has a minimum bandwidth of 10g per sec. 

I guess you're right since we're not talking about the highest quality fiber optics.....my bad.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kingtito

I really want to hear what Kingtito has to say for himself now. Seeing as he basically accused all of us as being wrong.BlacKJaCK2290

Say for myself??? Hmmm what I was talking about I was correct and frankly the future is in fiber optics. My basic argument was wether or not fiber optics had enough bandwidth. Theoretically it does just not in the case of the Toslink fiber optics.

Anything else you want me to say?

UntoldDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UntoldDreams
Member since 2006 • 3238 Posts

[QUOTE="BlacKJaCK2290"]I really want to hear what Kingtito has to say for himself now. Seeing as he basically accused all of us as being wrong.kingtito

Say for myself??? Hmmm what I was talking about I was correct and frankly the future is in fiber optics. My basic argument was wether or not fiber optics had enough bandwidth. Theoretically it does just not in the case of the Toslink fiber optics.

Anything else you want me to say?

I think you should calm down.  The end result of this diatribe is you were telling people to get the optical cable for surround sound from the PS3 instead of HDMI. 

This was the wrong advice.
Accept it like a man instead of going off on the physics of optical technology.

BroweChisox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BroweChisox

dubvisions
That is because you can not send uncompressed through optical. Hook up the HDMi to your receiver's input. Make sure your receiver supports HDMI (not only video switching) and you will be amazed. Anyone who argues otherwise is a total fool, like the one guy who keeps talking about bandwidth when it simply does not matter in terms of current or future performance..
SystemWarsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SystemWarsMan
[QUOTE="immikeulate"]Okay now I have a question: I connect my ps3 to an optical receiver (a mid range pioneer 7.1, no hdmi), and when I switch a blu-ray movie's sound to to uncompressed pcm from dobly digital the sound gets louder and possably better... But my receiver doesn't recognize the format of sound (like when its a dobly digital it says DD or when its dts it says dts) So whats going on here is it truly uncompressed audio or is my receiver just playing the ps3's output signal but not really pcm???zhuojloh
Uncompressed PCM is only supported in HDMI, optical cannot does not have enough bandwith. In other words, your receivers is old. Time for a new one. Don't worry, I'm also same boat with you. If you are using optical, avoid 7.1 uncompressed. PS3 will make it 2.1 PCM instead if you chose that option

So im guessing it goes into the reciever HDMI on HDMI in, and comes out HDMI out to the TV for the picture. The sound will be handled by the reciever and the picture through the reciever to the TV? Thanks for the info.
BroweChisox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BroweChisox
Correct, usually a receiver will have at least 2 HDMI inputs. The equipment outputting the sound needs to be told to output uncompressed PCM, and some receivers (actually any non-Denon HDMI receiver) need to have the LFE track adjusted when using PCM. I recommend the Denon AVR-2307CI or 887 (Basically the same model) for a great budget minded HDMI receiver.
mairjfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mairjfoo
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I have a 50 inch sony with a DVI input for video.  If I buy a HDMI enabled receiver, will I get these better audio codecs for blu-ray movies and games if I connect my PS3 to the receiver with HDMI cable and then a HDMI to DVI cable from the receiver to the TV?

Also the TV's DVI is HDCP compliant if that is important.

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 filfili

[QUOTE="filfili"]If you have a HDMI receiver, you can get uncompressed sound, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS master, which are much better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS.  If you use optical, you cannot get these sound formats because optical doesn't have enough bandwidth.  Also, no game uses the advanced audio codecs yet, only movies.kingtito

You have obsolutely no idea what you're talking about do you????? Fiber optics has one of the biggest bandwidths

http://www.gare.co.uk/technology_watch/fibre.htm

We are talking about optical in the home theater sense. 

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 filfili

I have a 50 inch sony with a DVI input for video.  If I buy a HDMI enabled receiver, will I get these better audio codecs for blu-ray movies and games if I connect my PS3 to the receiver with HDMI cable and then a HDMI to DVI cable from the receiver to the TV?

mairjfoo

Yes, but its gets tricky.  Some receivers will only accept picture from HDMI.  Its been mostly rectified in this newest batch, but its something to keep in mind.  They don't make receiver with DVI anymore.  What you'd want to do is look at a HDMI to DVI cable.  I'm not certain it will work since some devices(Toshiba HD DVD player) seem to have problems with HDMI to DVI cables.  Yes, you have the right idea.

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 filfili

[QUOTE="filfili"]If you have a HDMI receiver, you can get uncompressed sound, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS master, which are much better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS.  If you use optical, you cannot get these sound formats because optical doesn't have enough bandwidth.  Also, no game uses the advanced audio codecs yet, only movies.Creeping_Wolf

Are you certain, I thought it got axed in the retail version.

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 filfili
[QUOTE="Creeping_Wolf"]

[QUOTE="filfili"]If you have a HDMI receiver, you can get uncompressed sound, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS master, which are much better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS.  If you use optical, you cannot get these sound formats because optical doesn't have enough bandwidth.  Also, no game uses the advanced audio codecs yet, only movies.filfili

Are you certain, I thought it got axed in the retail version.

Ok, I'm wrong.  It is in 7.1 and I never noticed. 

BroweChisox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BroweChisox
[QUOTE="mairjfoo"]

filfili

Yes, but its gets tricky.  Some receivers will only accept picture from HDMI.  Its been mostly rectified in this newest batch, but its something to keep in mind.  They don't make receiver with DVI anymore.  What you'd want to do is look at a HDMI to DVI cable.  I'm not certain it will work since some devices(Toshiba HD DVD player) seem to have problems with HDMI to DVI cables.  Yes, you have the right idea.

Every game I have played on PS3, albeit only a handful, have all been uncompressed PCM sound.
creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts

I love these threads...95% made up stuff, 5% fact.

Resistance does have uncompressed PCM 7.1 audio and its incredible when you crank it up, makes DD 5.1 and DTS sound compressed and harsh.

Optical will not pass uncompressed PCM properly. I tried it and it just reverted to a crappy stereo feed. Optical can't handle it.

If you have a Ps3 I highly recommend upgrading to an HDMI capable receiver that can pass an HD Video signal. My Pioneer elite can pass up to a 1080i signal, so I set the PS3 to that and let the TV upconvert it to 1080p. This way I can get the uncompressed PCM sound from the games and the bluray movies.

The audio capabilities of HDMI are far better than the video capabilities. I notice little difference in video between HDMI, VGA and component, slight difference, but nothing major. The sound on the other hand is a completely differrent story.

Most uncompressed PCM sound tracks run in the 4.5Mbps neighboor hood, DD5.1 is 648kbps and DTS tops out at 1.5Mbps, its a huge difference in bandwidth so the dynamic range is greater and the bass is smoother.

SystemWarsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SystemWarsMan
Correct, usually a receiver will have at least 2 HDMI inputs. The equipment outputting the sound needs to be told to output uncompressed PCM, and some receivers (actually any non-Denon HDMI receiver) need to have the LFE track adjusted when using PCM. I recommend the Denon AVR-2307CI or 887 (Basically the same model) for a great budget minded HDMI receiver.BroweChisox
How much does it go for?? 800???? I have a 5.1 setup at time. Also, how good does it sound when its done the way you have it set up? What differences do you notice? Thanks man, you really know your stuff.
SystemWarsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SystemWarsMan

Resistance does have uncompressed PCM 7.1 audio and its incredible when you crank it up, makes DD 5.1 and DTS sound compressed and harsh.

Optical will not pass uncompressed PCM properly. I tried it and it just reverted to a crappy stereo feed. Optical can't handle it.

If you have a Ps3 I highly recommend upgrading to an HDMI capable receiver that can pass an HD Video signal. My Pioneer elite can pass up to a 1080i signal, so I set the PS3 to that and let the TV upconvert it to 1080p. This way I can get the uncompressed PCM sound from the games and the bluray movies.

The audio capabilities of HDMI are far better than the video capabilities. I notice little difference in video between HDMI, VGA and component, slight difference, but nothing major. The sound on the other hand is a completely differrent story.

Most uncompressed PCM sound tracks run in the 4.5Mbps neighboor hood, DD5.1 is 648kbps and DTS tops out at 1.5Mbps, its a huge difference in bandwidth so the dynamic range is greater and the bass is smoother.

creekfan_basic

Any recievers that output 1080P back to the TV???
Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Creeping_Wolf
[QUOTE="creekfan_basic"]

SystemWarsMan

Any recievers that output 1080P back to the TV???

There are receivers on the market that can accept / pass 1080p signals.  Here's the one I have:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451511

Also has 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output.

Pixelgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pixelgen
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
Does using HDMI inprove the image of games, I have a 720p/1080i HDTV. ???
filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 filfili

Does using HDMI inprove the image of games, I have a 720p/1080i HDTV. ???Pixelgen

slightly from component. 

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
i have a question for audo. i play the ps 3 game my tv is on 4 sound. then i watch a dvd and i have to turn it up to 14 volume but the tv speaker makes a slight humming sound. i don't now wether it is a setting on the tv or the ps 3. i think because the games sound great and volume only has to be on 4 to hear it. i tring to word this better but i can't sorry. any suggestions.
BroweChisox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BroweChisox
[QUOTE="BroweChisox"]Correct, usually a receiver will have at least 2 HDMI inputs. The equipment outputting the sound needs to be told to output uncompressed PCM, and some receivers (actually any non-Denon HDMI receiver) need to have the LFE track adjusted when using PCM. I recommend the Denon AVR-2307CI or 887 (Basically the same model) for a great budget minded HDMI receiver.SystemWarsMan
How much does it go for?? 800???? I have a 5.1 setup at time. Also, how good does it sound when its done the way you have it set up? What differences do you notice? Thanks man, you really know your stuff.

There are major differences in clarity and imaging. When a company uses all 7 channels independently, it really allows for some truly dynamic sound. One would also notice the depth that is present in uncompressed that you miss out on with compressed optical. There currently is no better way to experience home theater than with uncompressed PCM without a doubt. Oh, and I think the 2307 goes for around $800 yes, but I am sure you could find it slightly cheaper online,