How do you play music on the PS3 whilst playing a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dabest2500
Member since 2010 • 2575 Posts

Read the topic title. People have said that Microsoft have taken the rights to doing this, is this true?

Or can you only play music in specific games?

Thanks.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
You can't play any music while in game on the PS3. Bummer because i do it on the other console you mentioned it and thinks it's a must have feature.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

Well, Numblast allows to play own music while playing. Haven't heard of any other game though.

dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dabest2500
Ah man. Thanks to the both of you anyways.
razzkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 razzkazz
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

Yeah, it only works with certain games unfortunately. To play the music in-game, launch the game, then hit the PS button to get to the XMB, go to your music and play a song or playlist like you normally would. The ones I've noticed support it that I can remember are:

-Zen Pinball

-Planet Minigolf

-Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

-Tekken 6

-Wipeout HD

-Warhawk

-Super Stardust HD

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
Only a few games can do it Killzone 2 and Sacred 2 can play music in the background
dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dabest2500
So Microsoft do own the rights to it then? Why don't all games just include the feature then?
Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts
[QUOTE="dabest2500"]So Microsoft do own the rights to it then? Why don't all games just include the feature then?

cause most people don't think its necessary, especially when they have put in such an effort to create their own sound tracks and sound effects. I know I wouldnt allow it.
razzkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 razzkazz

I'm pretty sure I read that custom soundtracks for all games would be a feature included in the premium PSN service. I could be wrong but I'm almost positive that's what I read. Sucks because I love the feature but I wouldn't pay extra for it, for games that don't support it I just run the PS3 audio through the TV speakers and play my ipod through the surround.

razzkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 razzkazz

[QUOTE="dabest2500"]So Microsoft do own the rights to it then? Why don't all games just include the feature then?Wuflungdung
cause most people don't think its necessary, especially when they have put in such an effort to create their own sound tracks and sound effects. I know I wouldnt allow it.

I agree with you to an extent, for some games it's not appropriate, especially like a singleplayer campaign. For many games, especially while playing online, it adds to the fun. With Warhawk, I'd usually get bored after a few rounds, but with my own playlist I can play for a couple hours and it's just a way better experience.

dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dabest2500
[QUOTE="Wuflungdung"][QUOTE="dabest2500"]So Microsoft do own the rights to it then? Why don't all games just include the feature then?

Very true.
dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dabest2500

[QUOTE="Wuflungdung"][QUOTE="dabest2500"]So Microsoft do own the rights to it then? Why don't all games just include the feature then?razzkazz

I agree with you to an extent, for some games it's not appropriate, especially like a singleplayer campaign. For many games, especially while playing online, it adds to the fun. With Warhawk, I'd usually get bored after a few rounds, but with my own playlist I can play for a couple hours and it's just a way better experience.

Custom sound tracks are especially good when used with racing games. Gran Turismo Prologue features custom soundtracks. Not sure about the multiplayer bit. Don't play it much so can't really say anything about it.

dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dabest2500

I'm pretty sure I read that custom soundtracks for all games would be a feature included in the premium PSN service. I could be wrong but I'm almost positive that's what I read. Sucks because I love the feature but I wouldn't pay extra for it, for games that don't support it I just run the PS3 audio through the TV speakers and play my ipod through the surround.

razzkazz
Did you just say PREMIUM PSN? What is that?
razzkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 razzkazz

[QUOTE="razzkazz"]

dabest2500

They're offering a PSN subscription service soon, where you pay to get some extra features. It won't effect the free PSN we have now though.

razzkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 razzkazz

Custom sound tracks are especially good when used with racing games. Gran Turismo Prologue features custom soundtracks. Not sure about the multiplayer bit. Don't play it much so can't really say anything about it.dabest2500

Yeah, I mostly use custom soundtracks in racing games, fighting games, and FPS deathmatch games, basically any game that's not story driven.

dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dabest2500

[QUOTE="dabest2500"][QUOTE="razzkazz"]

razzkazz

They're offering a PSN subscription service soon, where you pay to get some extra features. It won't effect the free PSN we have now though.

Any idea when this will happen? I just hope that it won't be too expensive, that you can pay using PSN cards and that it will turn out to be a GREAT idea.

dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dabest2500

[QUOTE="dabest2500"]Custom sound tracks are especially good when used with racing games. Gran Turismo Prologue features custom soundtracks. Not sure about the multiplayer bit. Don't play it much so can't really say anything about it.razzkazz

Yeah, I mostly use custom soundtracks in racing games, fighting games, and FPS deathmatch games, basically any game that's not story driven.

I've only got TWO games that can do this. And both are Gran Turismo. One on PS3 and one on PSP

razzkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 razzkazz

Any idea when this will happen? I just hope that it won't be too expensive, that you can pay using PSN cards and that it will turn out to be a GREAT idea.

dabest2500

I think they're announcing the full details and launch date at E3. I hadn't thought about PSN cards to pay for it in addition to credit cards, I could see that being a possibility.

dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dabest2500

[QUOTE="dabest2500"]

razzkazz

I think they're announcing the full details and launch date at E3. I hadn't thought about PSN cards to pay for it in addition to credit cards, I could see that being a possibility.

What could go wrong? Touch wood...
slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

Pain and detuned are two other games that allow you to listen to music while playing.

hawkboy_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hawkboy_4
Member since 2009 • 1095 Posts
skate 2 & 3 lets you play music
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
comet crash lets you play your own music, and its a very addictive game too specially when playing offline multiplayer
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
well since you seem to be a racing fan i'll just name the racing games that let you do this.. from the games i played that lets you listen to you music: burnout paradise midnight club LA modnation racers motorstorm
dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dabest2500
So not many good games can play music then... Either that or the good ones have terrible soundtracks that the game makers have compensated for by allowing you to use your own ones. BTW thanks everyone
dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dabest2500
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]well since you seem to be a racing fan i'll just name the racing games that let you do this.. from the games i played that lets you listen to you music: burnout paradise midnight club LA modnation racers motorstorm

Racing fan, yes. But those games, no. Thanks for the suggestion but I prefer simulation racing games. Preferably on PS3 or PSP. I haven't found much Simulation racers either, so any suggestions, regardless of being music playable, are welcome.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I do it in all the games that allow it, One of the main reassons why i love Killzone 2 mps, nothing better than heat shooting some guys while listening to the beatles.
dabest2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dabest2500
I do it in all the games that allow it, One of the main reassons why i love Killzone 2 mps, nothing better than heat shooting some guys while listening to the beatles.Solid_Tango
Not many games then...