This topic is locked from further discussion.

69PS3cool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 69PS3cool69
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts
alright so i just got a lcd monitor with 1440X900 max res and a dvi port. i also know that you can buy a hdmi/dvi cable that will allow me to attach my ps3 to the monitor. the difference between dvi and hdmi is that dvi can't transfer sound. so my question is if i were to connect my ps3 to the monitor using a hdmi/dvi cable would i still be able to use the av cable and attach it to some seperate speakers? another question is: is the 1440X900 monitor considered high def? high def is supposed to be 1920X1080 (for 1080i) but i saw a monitor in store that said 1080p hi def and it also said that the max res was 1440X900. so i guess what im asking is that if i connect my ps3 to the monitor would i 1080i/p high def quality? (or maybe 720i/P)
HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

Yes your monitor is Hi-def.  No it is not 1080P. 

High def is anything over 480p--which your is.  I would go into detail about all of the various resolutions--but don't feel like typing all of that.  Go to CNET.com and click on their HDTV world section and read up on it.  They will explain everything.

You can hook your PS3 to the tv through HDMI-DVI cable and then you should hook an optical cable from your PS3 to a reciever which then pumps the all digital sound to your speakers.  That will give you the best sound.

Hope that helps

69PS3cool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 69PS3cool69
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts
hey thx that did help but ... instead of a optical can i use the AV cable for the sound and would the optical cable connect to just speakers or something?
HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

hey thx that did help but ... instead of a optical can i use the AV cable for the sound and would the optical cable connect to just speakers or something?69PS3cool69

I don't understand your question?  You cannot connect the PS3 directly to your speakers.  All of your surround sound speakers should be connected to a receiver.  You should then connect the PS3 to your reciever via an optical cable.  I am not sure if you could connect your AV cables to your reciever as I am unsure of your recievers inputs and I have never heard anyone doing this before--assuming any receiver has the correct inputs.

Even if you can connect your PS3 to a receiver with the AV cables--you would not want to.  You always want to connect your devices with the best possible cables.  Check to see that your receiver has an optical input.  If it does you can buy on optical cable for about $10 on the internet (mycablesmart.com or monoprice.com) and this will give you the optimal connections that you will want.

Once you get the optical cable--connect it to your receiver.  Then go into the setup area of the PS3's cross media bar and change the sound output to optical.  Then turn on your receiver and select it to the channel that will output from the optical input.  Waalaa you are set.